Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Apple 09/09/09 "Rock & Roll" event official
Page 1 of 6 [1] 2 3 4 5  Next Last Thread Tools
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-08-31, 11:16

Engadget

Yay! Now all the iPod/iTunes/not-tablet speculation can go here.

The invite reads "It's only rock and roll, but we like it." A subtle way of reducing tablet expectations, perhaps?

09/09/09 is, of course, the same day the remastered Beatles albums are released, as well as the same day the Beatles make their first foray into digital distribution, through The Beatles: Rock Band. So bringing Beatles to iTunes on that day would certainly seem fitting.

Of course, launching iTunes 9 on 09/09/09 would be pretty sweet, too.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2009-08-31, 11:52

I'd feel better about that whole Beatles thing if they'd used a snippet of one of their song lyrics (instead of the Stones). In addition to gently letting us know not to expect a tablet, it also might be their way of saying "don't expect any Fab Four/moptop/Sgt. Pepper/Walrus crap today either."

Also, we can discuss the possibility of Mr. Steve participating or not. He's back at work, he's got his fingers in the various pies (Apple, of course), etc. What better way to say "I'm not dead, you ghoulish, rumor-mongering sons-of-bitches" than to show up, jeans and black turtleneck intact, and pegging the RDF into the red?

And watch Apple's stock go up eleventy zillion percent.

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-08-31, 11:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
I feel better about that whole Beatles thing if they'd used a snippet of one of their song lyrics (instead of the Stones).

I suppose "Revolution No. 9." would be seen as too obvious.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2009-08-31, 11:59

Well, the timing is certainly there. If the Beatles are "going digital" that day (along with that Rock Band release), I can't imagine iTunes not being part of that.

Seriously...why would the biggest band in the universe not want to throw in with the king daddy music service? Makes no sense, unless Paul & Co. just actively despise Apple and want to go out of their way to stick it to them.

You gotta figure that's going to be a small part of the presentation...Beatles on iTunes.

BTW, they're getting a bodacious amount of mileage out of those "dancing silhouette" graphics, huh? What...six or so years after the first batch, they're still featured prominently in iTunes/iPod marketing? Amazing. Other companies have seen entire campaigns/slogans/logos/mascots come and go (numerous times, in some cases) in the time Apple has employed this motif!

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-08-31, 12:40

Quote:
BTW, they're getting a bodacious amount of mileage out of those "dancing silhouette" graphics, huh? What...six or so years after the first batch, they're still featured prominently in iTunes/iPod marketing? Amazing. Other companies have seen entire campaigns/slogans/logos/mascots come and go (numerous times, in some cases) in the time Apple has employed this motif!

And they're actually not super played out and annoying, like those "Mac vs. PC" ads.

Iago

2009-08-31, 12:48

Quote:
Seriously...why would the biggest band in the universe not want to throw in with the king daddy music service? Makes no sense, unless Paul & Co. just actively despise Apple and want to go out of their way to stick it to them.
Apple Corps. (the company The Beatles created as a holding company for Apple Records) and Apple, Inc. did pitched battle in court for nearly twenty years over trademark disputes, between 1978-2006. It's apparently all been put to bed now, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was still animosity from Paul McCartney, the man who didn't go to The Beatles' induction at the Rock & Roll hall of fame because of business "differences" between the surviving Beatles.

I'm Joseph Fritzl, and no windows was my idea.

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-08-31, 13:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iago View Post
It's apparently all been put to bed now, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was still animosity from Paul McCartney, the man who didn't go to The Beatles' induction at the Rock & Roll hall of fame because of business "differences" between the surviving Beatles.
But that's kind of cutting of his nose to spite his face, no? I mean, Apple (Inc.) wants to sell his music.

"No, I won't let them make me gobs of money! Absolutely not!"

Paul is Douche?

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong

Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2009-08-31, 13:23

Aside from the Beatles and iPod stuff, thing we'll finally see MMS come out of this event?

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-08-31, 13:28

I don't know, Yontsey. It is right after Labor Day, which marks the unofficial end of summer in the States...

I think chances are good. There's rumors that they'll update the $99 3G to an 8GB 3G S, so there already might be some iPhone talk at the event. (And why not? The iPhone line-up was adjusted at the 2007 iPod event, as well.)

Hmm? What's this?

Intel is planning on launching new processors on September 8? Interesting.

Apple's launched an iMac at their fall iPod event before (2005), and I could see them doing it again, especially if the new iMacs had some media-related features, like that newfangled "Blu-ray" apparatus I keep on hearing about. (The 2005 iMacs introduced the Apple Remote and Front Row.)

It appears to be mainly desktop processors on the slate, which have too high a GDP to appear in any of Apple's desktops (save the Mac Pro workstation). But according to Wikipedia, the first batch of mobile Nehalems (the Core i7) should be coming in late September, as well. The mobile Core i7 (Clarksfield, to its friends) would still run too hot in a MacBook but it matches the TDP of processors Apple's used in the iMac before...hmm...

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2009-08-31, 13:35

That would be cool. A big music/iPod event (Beatles, iTunes 9, etc.) and then a "one more thing" in the form of some new iMacs?

I don't know. Why not?

For once it would be neat to see Apple - especially since they're no longer bound by MWSF timelines and schedules - actually roll out some cool, updated gear before the November/December holiday shopping season. You know...so people will actually line up and buy it in huge gobs for Christmas and so forth?

For years, the line of thinking has been "do not buy any major Apple gear in November and December, because the Macworld keynote is right around the corner, in early January...".

Would kinda nice to see that mindset fall away, and maybe people not holding off on new Macs heading into late December. Ironically, I'm sure January's Macworld Expo singlehandedly accounted for all drops Mac sales during November and December each year (I know I would never make a major Apple purchase with MWSF looming 2-3 weeks on the horizon).

Iago

2009-08-31, 13:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman View Post
But that's kind of cutting of his nose to spite his face, no? I mean, Apple (Inc.) wants to sell his music.

"No, I won't let them make me gobs of money! Absolutely not!"

Paul is Douche?
I don't think McCartney needs the money unfortunately. They almost certainly will appear at some point on the iTunes store but I'm not holding my breath over it being this event. Every time there's an iPod media event, everyone starts to discuss the possibility. It should happen but it might not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yontsey View Post
Aside from the Beatles and iPod stuff, thing we'll finally see MMS come out of this event?
I don't believe this will be discussed at the event. The FCC / Apple / AT&T situation is a little bit too raw to bring up, tacitly or not, the inadequacies of the carrier at a media event.

I'm Joseph Fritzl, and no windows was my idea.

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-08-31, 13:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iago View Post
I don't think McCartney needs the money unfortunately. They almost certainly will appear at some point on the iTunes store but I'm not holding my breath over it being this event. Every time there's an iPod media event, everyone starts to discuss the possibility. It should happen but it might not.
I think we might be getting close:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Dhani Harrison recently stated that The Beatles are losing money every day by not having a digital outlet for sales and that he does not feel that the iTunes Store's 99 cent charge is a fair price for The Beatles songs. He was an integral part in pushing for The Beatles: Rock Band video game...The Beatles' own website has also reported discussions for the digital distribution of the Beatles catalog being continued.
If fixed, 99c pricing was a barrier for the Beatles, then surely the new variable pricing system will help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iago
I don't believe this will be discussed at the event. The FCC / Apple / AT&T situation is a little bit too raw to bring up, tacitly or not, the inadequacies of the carrier at a media event.
That's possible. Maybe just a quick mention? iPhone OS 3.1 will be available today, supports iTunes 9, SMS goes live in the US, yada yada.

Satchmo
can't read sarcasm.

2009-08-31, 14:16

Well this event was pretty much a given. The question I want to know is...will Steve be presenting if it's not iTablet based?
Or perhaps he will present the new iPods, just to show investors he's back and doing fine.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2009-08-31, 14:48

I think so. He's been out of the spotlight for a really long time. He might be itching for that "keynote rush" again? The cheers and applause, the chance to show off some new goodies, etc.

I hope he appears. And I think the ovation he'd receive would moisten even the most jaded, "meh" eye.

A lot of people in the media - not to mention various "pseudo celebrities" of the Jon and Kate variety - would do good to take a pointer or two from Steve...how can we ever miss you if you never go away?!

If there is any Beatle angle to this event, I'm pretty sure Steve would want to be there and be part of it. And maybe even - dare I say it - invite Paul and the other one out on stage? Or, at the very least, a video iChat hookup (which he's done with Mick Jagger and Madonna in the past).

Or, short of that, maybe John Mayer can come out and play "And Your Bird Can Sing"...

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-08-31, 14:53

I'm sure he'll present it. Why wouldn't he? Assuming he really is better, like the media claims him to be?

And if the Beatles are hitting iTunes (with their own iPod edition or whatever), there's no way he'd let anyone else announce it.

EDIT: Hahaha, we edited at the same time to add the Beatles thing, Paul. Great minds think alike

SKMDC
superkaratemonkeydeathcar

Send a message via AIM to SKMDC  
2009-08-31, 15:24

Maybe the Beatles catalog will be what they use to roll out the new cocktail format.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2009-08-31, 15:30

That makes sense. Good call.

Liner notes, artwork, videos, ringtones, etc. May as well use them to usher that whole thing in, sure.

Plus, the Beatles are, IMO, an "album band". Most people are going to want all of Revolver or Abbey Road, I would imagine. Getting some extra goodies on top of the music just makes good sense.

SKMDC
superkaratemonkeydeathcar

Send a message via AIM to SKMDC  
2009-08-31, 15:34

Aside from the Rock Band thing which doesn't intrigue me in the least, the CD reissue is pretty useless. Angels swept down and trumpets chorused because The Beatles were reissuing remasters on a dead format? The Beatles used to be trailblazers not laggards.
Dhani Harrison appears to be a bright guy and a good influence on the Beatles camp.

"What's a Canadian farm boy to do?"

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2009-08-31, 16:03

Yeah, I'm not too wound up about that either (the CD releases). I'm actually lacking four albums in my collection, believe it or not ("Magical Mystery Tour", "Let It Be", "Please Please Me" and "With the Beatles"). So I'll actually get them from here (assuming this is all going to happen, of course).

But I couldn't bring myself to shell out ~$15 for each in recent years, knowing that a) all I'm going to do is "rip and toss", and b) surely they were coming to iTunes at some point.

It goes without saying that I couldn't give less of a flying damn about the whole Guitar Hero thing. I can already play all these songs on real instruments. What do I want with a game where I pretend?

Satchmo
can't read sarcasm.

2009-08-31, 16:18

And don't forget the rumours of a special edition yellow submarine iPod.
Do these artist edition iPods sell well? I'd love to know the numbers on that U2 one.
I guess you'd have to be pretty hardcore fan to bite, since it'll be forever etched on your iPod.

But I'm not expecting too much innovation in terms of hardware. Higher capacity, cameras (maybe video) built into Touch and Nanos. Interesting if they continue with voice on the Shuffle or go back to a tactile feedback and maybe one line LCD display(?).

Frank777
Veteran Member

2009-08-31, 16:20

Quote:
Hmm? What's this?

Intel is planning on launching new processors on September 8? Interesting.

Apple's launched an iMac at their fall iPod event before (2005), and I could see them doing it again, especially if the new iMacs had some media-related features, like that newfangled "Blu-ray" apparatus I keep on hearing about. (The 2005 iMacs introduced the Apple Remote and Front Row.)

It appears to be mainly desktop processors on the slate, which have too high a GDP to appear in any of Apple's desktops (save the Mac Pro workstation). But according to Wikipedia, the first batch of mobile Nehalems (the Core i7) should be coming in late September, as well. The mobile Core i7 (Clarksfield, to its friends) would still run too hot in a MacBook but it matches the TDP of processors Apple's used in the iMac before...hmm...
Apple won't intro a brand new iMac line alongside brand new iPods. Mixed media messaging.

The 2005 iMac launch was applicable because there were tools to transfer media from iMac to iPod.
Apple's not going out on such a limb to promote Blu-Ray.

Makes me think we could see a silent update to the Mac Pro as early as tomorrow.
Even though the chips will debut on 9/9/09, it's likely that Apple got theirs early.

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-08-31, 16:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post
Apple won't intro a brand new iMac line alongside brand new iPods. Mixed media messaging.
Huh? Again, they've done it before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777
The 2005 iMac launch was applicable because there were tools to transfer media from iMac to iPod.
Apple's not going out on such a limb to promote Blu-Ray.
And why not? If the new iMacs have Blu-ray drives and iTunes 9 supports Managed Copy, there's your "tools to transfer media from iMac to iPod." Of course there's going to be tools to transfer media, it's an iMac.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777
Makes me think we could see a silent update to the Mac Pro as early as tomorrow.
Even though the chips will debut on 9/9/09, it's likely that Apple got theirs early.
It's apparently about Core i5 and Core i7 desktop chips, which Apple doesn't use in the Mac Pro (or anything).

feidhlim1986

2009-08-31, 16:47

I'd like Apple to show iTunes 9 with a 64-bit version for Snow Leopard, and then also show either iLife '10 or an updated iLife '09 as full 64-bit apps.

I dont think Apple are ever gonna bother with Blu-Ray. They have their HD TV & Movie service. Personally, if I'm gonna watch a Blu-Ray, I'm going to want to watch it on a HDTV with surround sound, not on a MacBook screen or iMac

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-08-31, 17:39

I'm kind of scared for the iPod touch.

Here's why: Apple's third-generation products are always WTF?-inducing.

Not convinced?

The 3G iPod classic was WTF?-inducing because it moved the buttons from the scroll wheel and placed them in a row up top, a move that was quickly rectified with the click wheel. Apple has never looked back.

The 3G iPod mini was WTF?-inducing because it didn't exist; Apple killed the world's (then) most popular music player dead. (Viewing the iPod nano as the 3G iPod mini, we saw a reduction in capacity and the elimination of the iPod mini's popular colors and aluminum shell in favor of black and white plastic. WTF?)

The 3G iPod nano was WTF?-inducing because it swapped out the trademark tall design for a squat little square; it was actually larger by volume than its predecessor and it had an odd mix of a colored aluminum front and a polished stainless steel back (the only Apple product to combine the two). The super-light pastel colors might not have helped; the design proved less popular and Apple returned to the tall form factor (with brighter colors than ever) with the 4G iPod nano.

The 3G iPod shuffle is WTF?-inducing because...well, what about it is not WTF?-inducing? Oh, and they continued to sell it alongside the previous generation models, a first for iPods (since the 2G iPod classic).

The 3G iPhone (that'd be the iPhone 3G S, not the iPhone 3G) was a little WTF?-inducing, because (oleophobic screen and metallic text on the rear aside) it looked exactly the same as its predecessor, which is again something Apple had avoided since the 2G iPod classic. (Like that model, the iPhone 3G S was also sold alongside a discounted version of the previous model.)

The 3G iMac would be, by most counts, the iMac G5, which was WTF?-inducing not only because it was several months late (remember that weird September pre-announcement, when Apple ran out of iMacs after WWDC?) but also because it took everything Jobs said Apple had avoided doing with the iMac G4 and shoved it into one product (with a massive, massive chin). It was, um, thinner...but by any other measure, it was (and still is) a total step backwards (there, I said it). It took some getting used to, to say the least. (Alternatively, you could also consider the eMac a sort of "third iMac," one that used a CRT display just after Jobs announced Apple would no longer be using them. WTF?)

So...yeah. Expect the 3G iPod touch to do something ridiculous, like break compatibility with iPhone apps or only come in Flower Power and Blue Dalmatian or something. Who knows!

Last edited by Robo : 2009-08-31 at 17:49.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2009-08-31, 17:54

Now that you lay it all out, there is a pretty funny pattern.

If I remember correctly, I think that retina-scorching Key Lime iBook appeared on the third generation (or revision?) for that model...

I guess they have a big hit with the first thing. Then build on that for the second-generation version. After that, they get bored and start to believe their hype and decide to, on the third-generation, to "do something different" and "blow everyone away".

On more than a few occasions, however, they've laid a giant iTurd. Or a WTF?! Extreme.

Swox
OK Mr. Sunshine!

2009-08-31, 20:28

Quote:
The 3G iMac would be, by most counts, the iMac G5, which was WTF?-inducing not only because it was several months late (remember that weird September pre-announcement, when Apple ran out of iMacs after WWDC?) but also because it took everything Jobs said Apple had avoided doing with the iMac G4 and shoved it into one product (with a massive, massive chin)...
Sorry, I'm obviously missing something here. What was so bad about the iMac G5?

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2009-08-31, 20:38

Nothing "bad", but, as Robo points out, it was the exact machine Jobs shot down or poo-pooed a couple of years earlier, upon the introduction of the iMac G4 ("we could've just glommed the guts onto the back, but each element wouldn't be true to itself...flat screen displays want to be flat and thin, drives want to be horizontal..." and so forth). He made a big point of how they didn't take the easy, expected route with an AIO flat-screen computer.

Go find the iMac G4 unveiling keynote at YouTube if you've never seen it.

Then, two-and-a-half years later, comes the iMac G5...looking exactly like the design he was so proud of avoiding with the lampshade iMac.

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-08-31, 20:47

Quote:
Nothing "bad", but, as Robo points out, it was the exact machine Jobs shot down or poo-pooed a couple of years earlier, upon the introduction of the iMac G4 ("we could've just glommed the guts onto the back, but each element wouldn't be true to itself...flat screen displays want to be flat and thin, drives want to be horizontal..." and so forth). He made a big point of how they didn't take the easy, expected route with an AIO flat-screen computer.
Yeah. I bought one of the iMac G5s (the 1.9 GHz iSight/Front Row model) so it obviously wasn't horrible.

But it was sort of a step backwards, from the elegant, adjustable iMac G4. The iMac G5 was visually very heavy, which was a total reversal from the iMac G4, which practically floated on air. I hated the iMac G5 at first.

Swox
OK Mr. Sunshine!

2009-08-31, 20:47

Ah, thanks for the clarification!

I wasn't quite as Apple obsessed then as I am now

Satchmo
can't read sarcasm.

2009-08-31, 20:56

Just a thought, anyone think the iPod Touch will come with a higher res OLED screen that can play HD movies?
Not that it's entirely needed, but given that the Zune HD is OLED and priced aggressively, one would think Apple needs to be roughly in the same feature space.

The thing is Apple seems to be positioning the Touch as more of game platform than a movie watching device (who watches video on a small screen anyways, right Steve?) Actually I do. But perhaps Apple is holding off on OLED for it's 10" tablet? Nah, that would just be ridiculous expensive!!