User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Lonely? Talk to Samuel L Jackson bitch! (OR: The Official Snakes on a Plane thread)

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Lonely? Talk to Samuel L Jackson bitch! (OR: The Official Snakes on a Plane thread)
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
Argento
I puked at work.
Because I'm a pussy.

2006-08-15, 13:20

I was lonely today but then Samuel called me and cheered me up, if anybody else wants to talk to him feel free to dial him up here
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-08-15, 13:40

This movie is either going to be the biggest hit in the history of cinema...OR the biggest waste-of-time bomb ever!

No middle ground, I'm predicting. One or the other...and I'm leaning toward the latter. Huge opening weekend, of course, but no legs whatsoever and will be out of the theaters by mid/late September, and on DVD just in time for Christmas.

The phone call was kinda neat.
InactionMan
Veteran Member

2006-08-15, 13:44

What's going to irritating is when the big studios try to recreate this buzz on another awful movie not understanding that this really was a once in a lifetime opportunity.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2006-08-15, 14:30

I saw the trailer in the cinema yesterday. It looks terrible. Seriously, the concept is laughable, and the CGI isn't even good.

Stinky.
SKMDC
superkaratemonkeydeathcar

Send a message via AIM to SKMDC  
2006-08-15, 14:39

He never touched a live snake during the filming of the movie, although for promotion he's handled several.

Critics are not be allowed to see this movie beforehand (never a good sign) and in fact must pay if they want to see it.
Same goes for that new Tim Allen superhero movie. ZOOM.

"What's a Canadian farm boy to do?"
faramirtook
A for effort.

2006-08-15, 14:43

Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to Fahrenheit  
2006-08-15, 15:00

His hair is snakey.
InactionMan
Veteran Member

2006-08-15, 15:02

I don't think anyone is actually expecting anything of quality from this movie. It essentially another idiotic Steven Seagal styled action flick but with Sam Motherfuckin' Jackson and more importantly, an audience that thinks there as much a part of the making of the movie as the people that were actually in it. Personally, I'm just going to hear Sam Jackson say 'motherfucking snakes on the motherfucking plane.' Once he says that, I'm going to stand up, give the other nerds in the theatre a few high fives and walk out.

Besides, any film critic that does a serious review of this movie might as well just quit now. This movie is beyond criticism.
Argento
I puked at work.
Because I'm a pussy.

2006-08-15, 15:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by InactionMan

Besides, any film critic that does a serious review of this movie might as well just quit now. This movie is beyond criticism.
You're right, only God can critque this piece of divinity.

Oops (I hate commas because I always fuck them up, damn you scates!!)

Last edited by Argento : 2006-08-15 at 15:29.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-08-15, 15:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argento
You're right only, God can critque this piece of divinity.
Amazing what comma placement can do to the readability of a sentence.
Argento
I puked at work.
Because I'm a pussy.

2006-08-15, 15:35

They're already making a sequel
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-08-15, 15:44

Now I'd see that!
Dave
Ninja Editor

2006-08-15, 17:59

I predict "Wolves on a Ski Lift" will get the comedy of the year award
v.noir

2006-08-15, 22:07

I thought Snakes on a Plane was an enormous Internet-based joke, until I was in town the other day and saw an advert for it on the side of a bus. Shock! Better get dem muthafuckin' snakes.

...and all the wolves were found upside-down in a box!
Argento
I puked at work.
Because I'm a pussy.

2006-08-17, 15:15

Its landing in a theater near you today! Who's seen it/going to go see it?
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2006-08-17, 15:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by faramirtook

YES. This is what I'm talkin' about... how can this movie be anything but a candidate for one of the 100 worst in movie history? First time I heard of it I literally thought someone made it up as a joke (and then made this poster).

...into the light of a dark black night.
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2006-08-17, 15:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogs
YES. This is what I'm talkin' about... how can this movie be anything but a candidate for one of the 100 worst in movie history? First time I heard of it I literally thought someone made it up as a joke (and then made this poster).
I just hope it's bad in the same way "Airplane!" was bad. If it is, it will be great.

However, if it's "Gigli" bad, I may swear off movies forever.

Twitter: bwyatt | Xbox: @playsbadly | Instagram: @bw317
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2006-08-17, 16:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcgriz
I just hope it's bad in the same way "Airplane!" was bad. If it is, it will be great.
But, but, Airplane! is a classic!

At least I thought it was a great flick.
Engine Joe
Going Strange...

2006-08-17, 16:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana
But, but, Airplane! is a classic!

At least I thought it was a great flick.
Yah, Airplane! isn't bad (somewhere in the top 10 of AFI's 100 top comedies, I believe). Not sure what fcgriz is trying to say here.

So-bad-its-good films tend to be trying to be good but failing miserably. Like Plan 9 From Outer Space.
Dave
Ninja Editor

2006-08-17, 16:19

Ooh, this Sammy J movie looks good:

Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2006-08-17, 16:42

This thread has tremendous potential for visual humor.
almost2mac

2006-08-17, 19:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0
This movie is either going to be the biggest hit in the history of cinema...OR the biggest waste-of-time bomb ever!

No middle ground, I'm predicting. One or the other...and I'm leaning toward the latter. Huge opening weekend, of course, but no legs whatsoever and will be out of the theaters by mid/late September, and on DVD just in time for Christmas.

The phone call was kinda neat.
Heh, I think you're missing the point. The title apparently came out of a game at happy hour where production people try to figure out the worst pitch for a movie ever.

"Snakes on a Plane" is a perfect title. It is bluntly comical and no-nonsense, unless you are phobic, in which case it conjures up a nightmare scenario. What else you need? Samuel L. Jackson for a start, and give him a catchphrase. Apparently SLJ heard the title and asked to be in the movie without knowing anything else about it.

They tried for a PG-13 movie and when screened realized it didn't work. They filmed another week to *add* gore and ratchet it up to an R. They also tried to give rename it "Pacific Air 121" when someone involved in the marketing forgot what they were doing for a short period until Jackson went..."uh...change it back."

This looks like the first time Hollywood has been in on the joke from the start and are making a fun brainless summer action flick and nothing more while not taking themselves so seriously.
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2006-08-17, 23:56

Dude I just saw it.

So bad its good.

That, and you wait the entire movie for a single line from Jackson - I'll let you figure out what it is

I was sad, though, because one of the least likable characters was using an iBook! Normally you can pin the good guys early on if they use Macs, but this wasn't the case. Oh well.

Spoiler (click to toggle):
At least in the end, the annoying fat guy dies.

Logic, logic, logic. Logic is the beginning of wisdom, Valeris, not the end.
BlueRabbit
Veteran Member

2006-08-18, 01:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraetos
That, and you wait the entire movie for a single line from Jackson - I'll let you figure out what it is
Hmm, I'm guessing it's the line from the clip at the start of this Daily Show interview.

Looking for to seeing it on Saturday...
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2006-08-19, 01:21

Sequel:

Actually, a plausible sequel title (something someone in the audience shouted out near the end of the movie) was "Snakes on an Ambulance."

Anyway, dear god that was an awful movie. It was funny in a so-bad-it's-good way, but the blood and gore was pretty over the top. Too much for my liking. And the repetitive gross-out attempts kind of got to me. I didn't feel sick, I just felt unhappy at the choices they made. Why did they go to so much trouble to make so many really disgusting scenes?

Samuel L. Jackson got several cheers from the audience throughout.
irchs

2006-08-19, 07:17

I went to see this last night. I enjoyed it a lot.

I wouldn't go see this film expecting a serious horror. It's just good fun, and the elaborate deaths are quite the amusing.

Just go expecting a comedy and you will enjoy it

Jan
Wrao
Yarp

2006-08-19, 08:00

I saw it last night. Surprisingly gory. They really leave the camera on some of the death scenes for maybe 10-20 seconds too long. But, despite a lot of graphic deaths punctuated by shrieks and screams... you just really have a hard time caring. You see some people get fucked up, but, ultimately, it's hard to really be too involved. The funny thing is that, the movie has comedic relief, yes, but it's not really a comedy. In between chaotic scenes, survivors aren't making wise cracks, they are planning their next survival move. Yet, it's still so hard to get over the sheer ridiculous of a lot of the lines, not because they are intentionally funny, but because they're talking about snakes on a plane. That you end up laughing a bit anyway.

It didn't help that there was a group of 14 year olds cheering and laughing at everything Samuel L. did.

I think the movie was earnestly pretty good. It was good because it was original and not as gimmicky as it could have been(or what I was expecting). All around, I think the acting and cast was pretty great, and I enjoyed it. The movie was self-aware... somewhat, but the actors still played it straight, and there's actually, believe it or not, some strong character development(good burger kid, the rapper guy, samuel L., the stewardess(and her 'gay' coworker) and the witness kid all exhibit real change in character throughout the movie)

I suppose my biggest gripe would be that there were a lot fewer snake related deaths than I expected. Rather than a more typical horror/thriller approach of slowing sniping off characters with tense scenes in dark corridors. Snakes has most of its violence in 5-10 minute bursts of chaos. During which snakes are biting everyone, everyone is screaming, people are being trampled, falling and breaking their heads open, landing on sharp things, or otherwise not dying of snake related injury. There are still plenty of snake-deaths, sure, but there are at least 5 or 6 deaths that are actually shown on camera, that seemed a bit unnecessary.

Last edited by Wrao : 2006-08-19 at 08:07.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2006-08-19, 13:20

Unnecessary deaths, yeah. I definitely felt the same way. But I really dug the audience participation. That was half the fun. I mean, honestly, who's going just for the movie itself? That's no good. It would be like renting Rocky Horror and watching it by yourself at home.
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2006-08-19, 14:01

The audience went NUTS after "motherfuckin snakes on a motherfuckin plane." It probably didn't help that I saw the first showing available to the public, so all the weirdos were there.

And yes, I noticed a surprisingly high amount of nonm-snake related deaths too.

Logic, logic, logic. Logic is the beginning of wisdom, Valeris, not the end.
Dave
Ninja Editor

2006-08-20, 03:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca
It would be like renting Rocky Horror and watching it by yourself at home.
Wait... wha?... you, you mean that's not... normal?