User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

Apple schedules "major event" for January 26, 2010...

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Apple schedules "major event" for January 26, 2010...
Page 3 of 43 Previous 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7  Next Last Thread Tools
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2009-12-25, 10:10

Actually yeah, I too hated iPod when I first heard it, and MBP also..

But even so "iSlate" just doesn't sound like it has enough of the right ring to it.
Based on what I have heard in the developer sphere it seems like the rumours have gained some considerable weight now.. More so than before, and this also has the feel of the "is there / isn't there" days immediately before the iPhone.

I think it's possible some wires are crossed and it's just an "iPhone Pro", or a screen resolution change... but I wouldn't be surprised to see a Tablet.

I just don't think it will be called iSlate.
I'm not even sure the name has been finalised....

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt

kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2009-12-25, 10:46

I think it would be better for Apple to just reuse the iBook name.

I like that a lot better than "iSlate"

Satchmo
can't read sarcasm.

2009-12-25, 10:56

The name does seem to want a simple two syllable solution.
All the other 'i' products are. (iPod, iPhone, iWork, iLife, iBook).

Who knows, it could be part of the MacBook line. Or perhaps even as, the all new MacBook Air.

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-12-25, 11:35

iMovie? iPhoto?

iSlate also crossed my mind before. I like it more than iTablet, thats for sure.

Satchmo
can't read sarcasm.

2009-12-25, 12:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman View Post
iMovie? iPhoto?

iSlate also crossed my mind before. I like it more than iTablet, thats for sure.
Oops, my bad. iEmbarassed.

iSlate does roll off the tongue pretty easily. I can see people eventually doing away with the 'i' and saying something like, "look it up on your Slate"

drewprops
Space Pirate

2009-12-25, 13:37

Is you on time?
No, iSlate.

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2009-12-25, 15:20

The name will be MacTab.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2009-12-25, 15:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
The name will be MacTab.
Sounds like McTab.... a new, 80s-throwback joint venture between McDonalds and Coca-Cola?

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2009-12-25, 15:44

I wasn't even aware of that, I was too young in the 80s.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2009-12-25, 15:48

I never actually drank Tab in the 80s, but I will never forget this exchange:

Lou: You gonna order something, kid?
Marty McFly: Ah, yeah... Give me - Give me a Tab.
Lou: Tab? I can't give you a tab unless you order something.
Marty McFly: All right, give me a Pepsi Free.
Lou: You want a Pepsi, PAL, you're gonna pay for it.
Marty McFly: Look, just give me something without any sugar in it, okay?

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.

ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2009-12-25, 17:12

Maybe Apple is going to announce Flash support for the iPhone. Ok,that's not likely to happen any time soon. It makes me wonder how successful an internet tablet would be without Flash support. It will be interesting to see whether the tablet runs the iPhone OS or OS X or something entirely new. My guess is something new.

joveblue
Veteran Member

2009-12-25, 17:18

I don't see any reason why it should need flash any more than the iPhone does (it doesn't).

ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2009-12-25, 17:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by joveblue View Post
I don't see any reason why it should need flash any more than the iPhone does (it doesn't).
It does and Android devices will have that capability soon. There are so many websites that require Flash, it's obviously going to differentiate the two platforms as long as the iPhone doesn't.

chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2009-12-25, 18:23

Other than YouTube (for which iPhone OS has its own app) and games (for which iPhone OS has its own huge market), I cannot think of any major sites requiring flash.

ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2009-12-25, 18:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
Other than YouTube (for which iPhone OS has its own app) and games (for which iPhone OS has its own huge market), I cannot think of any major sites requiring flash.
Well, depends on your definition of major. Let's just say there many other sites on the web that rely on streaming video to *cough*"satisfy"*cough* their users.

MySpace also requires it. I'm sure there's an app for it, but that's just a workaround in my opinion.

The fact of the matter is that many, many people want Flash. It's not just some random minor feature. And Apple has willfully forestalled its presence on the iPhone. It seems to me this is just another example of iFanboys making excuses for Mother Apple instead of urging them to make progress. That's cool and all, but at some point the world moves on without you.

Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2009-12-25, 18:43

Actually I think the "moving on" part will involve less flash and more HTML5 which Apple already fully supports, even on the iPhone.

ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2009-12-25, 18:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaqtly View Post
Actually I think the "moving on" part will involve less flash and more HTML5 which Apple already fully supports, even on the iPhone.
Sure. Let's see how long it takes the *entire* internet to abandon Flash.

chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2009-12-25, 18:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezkcdude View Post
Well, depends on your definition of major. Let's just say there many other sites on the web that rely on streaming video to *cough*"satisfy"*cough* their users.
…some of which (including several of the the "satisfying" ones) come in iPhone versions, with a full-screen H.264/AAC variant of the video.

Quote:
MySpace also requires it. I'm sure there's an app for it, but that's just a workaround in my opinion.

The fact of the matter is that many, many people want Flash. It's not just some random minor feature. And Apple has willfully forestalled its presence on the iPhone. It seems to me this is just another example of iFanboys making excuses for Mother Apple instead of urging them to make progress. That's cool and all, but at some point the world moves on without you.
The demand is without question there, but I don't see it as particularly strong, and given the specs of an iPhone, I think the user experience would be poor at best. Also, this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaqtly View Post
Quote:
The entire Internet doesn't have to. The entire Internet hasn't abandoned IE 6 either; doesn't mean all sites still work with it.

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-12-25, 18:57

Quote:
If Apple releases a tablet that doesn't support it, you might be surprised at how fast the larger sites add other options. I've heard that YouTube already has a few Google-made videos in HTML5, but don't quote me on that.

Apple's in a position where they can lead the industry away from Flash, not cave to the existing demand for it.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong

chucker

2009-12-25, 19:01

Quote:
If Apple releases a tablet that doesn't support it, you might be surprised at how fast the larger sites add other options. I've heard that YouTube already has a few Google-made videos in HTML5, but don't quote me on that.
It's mostly a technology preview, but it's definitely where they're heading. http://youtube.com/html5

ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2009-12-25, 19:01

Quote:

Apple's in a position where they can lead the industry away from Flash, not cave to the existing demand for it.
Maybe that's true. But maybe that arrogance one day won't look so smart.

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-12-25, 19:13

Quote:
Maybe that's true. But maybe that arrogance one day won't look so smart.

How is using a dominant market position to help change to a better standardized option instead of an inferior proprietary option "arrogant"? I think it's responsible.

They have a dominant market position. They're going to have weight, no matter what they do. How would keeping the status quo be any "less arrogant" or whatever? They haven't given themselves that weight, their customers have.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong

ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2009-12-25, 19:59

It seems to me that argument could be made about the US involvement in the middle east, but...

As big as mobile devices are getting, the market pales in comparison to the pc market, where Flash will continue to be popular for a long time. Maybe it's not arrogant to ignore the demand for Flash-enabled devices, but it certainly doesn't seem market-centric. With the iPod, Apple gave people more of what they wanted, while the iPhone lead the market to some extent. I don't see why they can't do both. If Flash is a dinosaur, it will die eventually. If Apple now sees itself as the police of the web, that seems a bit arrogant to me.

chucker

2009-12-25, 20:05

Quote:
It seems to me that argument could be made about the US involvement in the middle east, but…
Yeah?

Quote:
With the iPod, Apple gave people more of what they wanted
Really? Cause I remember everyone crying for WMA and FM radio, and Apple refusing to support neither. (Some iPods have the latter now, though.)

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2009-12-25, 21:04

Quote:
It seems to me that argument could be made about the US involvement in the middle east, but...
Don't louse up my thread by tossing out such flame-baiting, out-of-place and unnecessary stuff. This isn't AppleOutsider (and even if it was, nobody wants to hear that shit tonight).

Please.

ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2009-12-25, 21:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
Yeah?

Really? Cause I remember everyone crying for WMA and FM radio, and Apple refusing to support neither. (Some iPods have the latter now, though.)
Apple loves proprietary formats as long as they created them, which is why it is a bit disingenuous to claim they have the consumer interest at heart when it comes to Flash. Google is also writing the specs for HTML5, but they don't seem to have a problem with Flash coming to Android.

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-12-25, 21:10

Quote:
Yes. Apple deciding what technologies to support on their products is exactly like military action between nations!

Quote:
As big as mobile devices are getting, the market pales in comparison to the pc market, where Flash will continue to be popular for a long time. Maybe it's not arrogant to ignore the demand for Flash-enabled devices, but it certainly doesn't seem market-centric. With the iPod, Apple gave people more of what they wanted, while the iPhone lead the market to some extent. I don't see why they can't do both. If Flash is a dinosaur, it will die eventually. If Apple now sees itself as the police of the web, that seems a bit arrogant to me.
You make two assumptions:

1) That there is a mass-market "demand for Flash-enabled devices," that is, that most people want Flash. (I don't think they do. They want video, they want content, but they don't care how they get it -- they largely have no preference for one underlying technology over the other.)

2) That Apple not including Flash support on their mobile products somehow isn't one of the "natural forces" that will kill the Flash "dinosaur;" that Apple is somehow overstepping their bounds by choosing not to support it. How will Flash "die eventually" if people keep on supporting it just because they're supposed to, because it's the status quo? It's like pumping blood and air through a braindead dino forever just because it's Flash and then saying "if Flash is a dinosaur, it'll die eventually."

It's like having you say something will stop by itself if people don't keep pushing it, but then you insist on putting it in a vacuum where nobody can touch it and then we'll see if it comes to a stop. Products don't exist in a vacuum.

As a Droid fan, I would think you would of all people be on board. After all, Google is all about teh Open!!1 these days.

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-12-25, 21:21

Quote:
Apple loves proprietary formats as long as they created them
Like USB, SD, DisplayPort, 802.11, Bluetooth, and AAC (which Apple didn't invent), amirite?

What, exactly, is proprietary about (for instance) the new MacBook again? It doesn't even have FireWire (which actually served a legitimate need in the marketplace, and was adopted as a standard after Apple introduced it).

ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2009-12-25, 23:15

Quote:
You make two assumptions:

1) That there is a mass-market "demand for Flash-enabled devices," that is, that most people want Flash. (I don't think they do. They want video, they want content, but they don't care how they get it -- they largely have no preference for one underlying technology over the other.)

As a Droid fan, I would think you would of all people be on board. After all, Google is all about teh Open!!1 these days.
I agree people want video. That is why it is annoying that you can't always get it on mobile devices right now. You say that is because Apple supports open standards. Ok, fine. But people don't *want* open standards. They want video. Your words, not mine.

With the Droid I can have it both ways. Flash will be available early next year, and whenever *they* (whoever they are) get around to finishing htmlwatchamacallit, it'll be ready for that too.

In the meantime, I'll be able to gemme som pron!

chucker

2009-12-26, 06:53

Quote:
Apple loves proprietary formats as long as they created them,
They haven't really created all that many proprietary formats in the past decade. There's the file formats of iWork, which were previously openly specced but no longer. Other than that, I can't really think of much.