AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

Next year's iPhone (I know...)

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Next year's iPhone (I know...)
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2016-09-09, 08:00

"damn, 'scates...we just got this year's! Relax...... blah, blah."

But two things/points on my mind, in light of the rumors that the 2017 may be the iPhone 8 (skipping the expected 7s thing next year), and it being the 10th anniversary(!) of the iPhone:

- Do you think the 4" model will ever make it to the flagship lineup? Or does the 3D touch display layering and the Taptic engine and all the rest simply require too much space (and are only practical for the 4.7" and 5.5" models)? The SE is a great seller - and I love mine - but it's not a full-tilt "cutting edge" iPhone (not that I care, personally). I realize the price is the big allure for many, but honestly...I would've still gone with the SE even if it was just $100 less than the 4.7" model. I was more concerned with size/one-hand use than any price issues. Or are we just at the point where the flagship models are going to be 4.7" and 5.5", and there's no way - on a technical/engineering level - to make a flagship, feature-matching 4" iPhone?

Which leads me to...

- I kinda wonder if one is in development (you know the next-generation iPhone (2017) is well into design/prototyping stage... has been for a good while). I sometimes wonder if the SE was a slightly neutered "stopgap"/time-buyer, just to get something smaller out there for those who prefer the size. But that maybe one of the things slated for the 10th anniversary model is a full three-piece, no-compromise lineup...4", 4.7" and 5.5", with the 4" not lacking any of the features/specs of the two larger ones? The SE could certainly stick around for cost-conscious/budget buyers at $399 (or maybe even less?), but a full-featured 4" iPhone 8 at $549 surely has some interest/buyers (especially if it shares the overall design/look of the other two, and all the other features and capabilities).

Again, I just wonder if that smaller size automatically means those features just aren't easily implemented on this model (and that's the reason the SE exists in the first place)?

Fun to think/dream about, anyway.

As for the 10th anniversary model itself, here's what I'd like to see (because I think it would make more of a "statement", and would stand out, visually, from all the rest): for one year, lose the colors. The 10th anniversary iPhone - whether it comes in two or three sizes - would look great as a nod to the original 2007 iPhone, with a silver/gray metal back and a black faceplate. But done in the sleek, seamless style of 2016-2017 era iPhones, of course.

Think about it...it's not a "deal-killer" because either a) many folks are getting new iPhones every year, and I'm sure none of them are going to die if they have to go one year without a gold or rose gold option, or b) normal people who get an iPhone every 2-3 years will either skip next year anyway or they'll be coming off a 6 or 6s and will be happy with whatever the design is, and happy to get the "anniversary model".

If nothing else, it gives Apple a one-year break from producing/shipping/stocking the five colors (and their related, matching accessories like the dock, etc.).

All this to say: I hope next year's iPhone lineup consists of all three sizes, and comes in a silver/black design that evokes the model that started it all, 10 years earlier. How many people would buy, simply on collector/bragging rights grounds alone? I probably would (assuming a 4" model was part of the lineup). Basically the existing silver aluminum back of the silver model, paired with the black faceplate of the space grey/black models. It would stand out and be different because for four years or so, only silver-backed models have come with white faceplates (and black faceplate models have had the darker metal bodies). I still have my 2007 iPhone in its box, and while it's dinky and dated and scuffed to pieces, it's still a sharp, eye-catching look. And it's one that Apple hasn't done since 2008, when the 3G replaced the original model. With all they've learned and done since (the anodized stuff, the glass, the smooth, seamless surfaces, etc., it would look even better than it did 10 years ago.

Do you think Apple will do anything in the naming of next year's iPhone to set it apart as well? They typically don't do such things, but this isn't a Mac that's meant to be around for 3-5 years (or longer), and the iPhone has done more for them than any Mac ever has, so part of me can see them making a little bit of the iPhone's 10th year.

iPhone 10? That could get confusing to the casual observer, jumping from 7 to 10..."where the hell did 8 and 9 go?!"

iPhone X (unlikely, since they just dropped the whole "X" thing from their desktop OS naming after 15+ years

iPhone Decade? I kinda like it...a dual two-syllable hit, kinda rolls off the tongue (no worse than "iPhone 7", when spoken). And they could resume with the "8" or whatever the following year (2018) if they wanted.

Looking around online, I see that the gem associated with a 10th year anniversary is a diamond. But "iPhone Diamond" might send a weird signal (people might think there are diamonds involved/embedded somehow).

I don't know...just crap off the top of my head on a Friday morning...I usually don't think/talk this much about this stuff in recent years, but it's fun to speculate what might be in store for next year's iPhone. Will Apple play it cool and low-key like they often do, or will they do something special (in the design and/or naming) to acknowledge the Decade That Changed Everything™?

Part of me thinks they will. All of me thinks they should...

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2016-09-09 at 08:12.
Eugene
careful with axes

2016-09-09, 09:18

What I think will happen.

iPhone SE gets updated in March 2017. It will simply be called iPhone SE. (2017) will be added in documentation. It will have the Taptic Engine, Force Touch. If it doesn't gain those features it will be for cost cutting reasons and not space limitations. It will also lose the headphone jack.

iPhone 8 in September. They will simply be named iPhone and iPhone Plus (2017.) Apple ditches the Lightning port and introduces Smart Connector 2.0, wireless charging, etc. It will be pretty much completely water proof though there's no reason to take a phone down to 50m...

Anniversary products. This isn't a thing anymore. They'll mention the landmark at announcement, but that's it.

There is a huge difference for someone who normally buys a phone every 3 years and one who buys every 2 years. If you traditionally buy a new phone every 2 years, the iPhone Upgrade Plan gives you an opportunity to buy a new phone ever single year without paying more (as long as you keep rolling along.) The only exception is if you plan to hand your old phone down to a family member, but that pretty much means paying the full cost of the phone outright.

Apple's not going to remove color choice from their phones. They're all about marginal gains in unit sales now. The largest phone market in the world fuckin' loves the color gold.
addison
Formerly “AWM”

2016-09-09, 09:20

I really hope they can reduce the height of the phone. The one thing I don't like about the Plus is its too damn tall.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2016-09-09, 09:43

I really do think the numbering goes away as well next year. Just makes more sense and fits in with the rest of the products that Apple sells.

If Lightning goes away next year in favor of the Smart Connector, I'd be thrilled. Seems like it's goal is much more than to just be an accessory connector.

The SE would make sense for some people in my family so I hope they keep updating it every year. Definitely a spot in the lineup for that size of a phone. Seems like updating it next year alongside the other new iPhones would be a perfect time to name them mini, iPhone, and Pro.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
Wrao
Yarp

2016-09-09, 16:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
What I think will happen.

iPhone SE gets updated in March 2017. It will simply be called iPhone SE. (2017) will be added in documentation. It will have the Taptic Engine, Force Touch. If it doesn't gain those features it will be for cost cutting reasons and not space limitations. It will also lose the headphone jack.

iPhone 8 in September. They will simply be named iPhone and iPhone Plus (2017.) Apple ditches the Lightning port and introduces Smart Connector 2.0, wireless charging, etc. It will be pretty much completely water proof though there's no reason to take a phone down to 50m...

Anniversary products. This isn't a thing anymore. They'll mention the landmark at announcement, but that's it.

There is a huge difference for someone who normally buys a phone every 3 years and one who buys every 2 years. If you traditionally buy a new phone every 2 years, the iPhone Upgrade Plan gives you an opportunity to buy a new phone ever single year without paying more (as long as you keep rolling along.) The only exception is if you plan to hand your old phone down to a family member, but that pretty much means paying the full cost of the phone outright.

Apple's not going to remove color choice from their phones. They're all about marginal gains in unit sales now. The largest phone market in the world fuckin' loves the color gold.

This is basically exactly what I think will happen as well.

Only I do think Apple will continue to tweak the color lineup, though I don't think they'll remove something outright(certainly not gold), I do expect they'll replace or modify the options a bit. A high-gloss gold, possibly or the return of space gray or even the mythical black face plate on a rose gold chassis for a special edition.

I was honestly a bit surprised the Space Black was not priced $100 or so more than other colors just because Apple. Their move into watches and outright margin-for-style makes me think they'd be more open to creating an iPhone 'edition' model that costs $1200 or whatever for the sake of a unique paint job or design element.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2016-09-09, 16:24

I think you guys are spot on, but I needed to clarify something:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
The only exception is if you plan to hand your old phone down to a family member, but that pretty much means paying the full cost of the phone outright.
Nope. After two years, you own the device, if you don't turn it in for an upgrade. We're going to do that, and give the 7Ss to the boys. Then we'll start a new Apple Upgrade program for ourselves with the iPhone 8/10/DecaX.
Eugene
careful with axes

2016-09-09, 22:02

Er, right. Not sure where I got that train of thought.

e: Actually I'm going to backtrack on the naming scheme thing...Apple would be silly not to call next year's update the iPhone 8. They'll drop the numbers starting in 2018.

Last edited by Eugene : 2016-09-09 at 22:21.