AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

iPhone 12 – Now with 5G

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iPhone 12 – Now with 5G
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
drewprops
Space Pirate

2020-10-16, 12:21

Since Capella has been slammed I am posting this - hope I got it all right...

iPhone 12 Mini
• Black, White, (PRODUCT)RED , Green, Blue
• 64GB, 128GB, 256GB
• Weight: 4.76 ounces (135 grams)
• A14 Bionic chip
• Next‑generation Neural Engine
• MagSafe wireless charging
• Ceramic Shield front
• Glass back and “aluminum design”
• 5.4” Super Retina XDR all-OLED display
• 2340‑by‑1080-pixel resolution at 476 ppi
• Rated IP68 (maximum depth of 6 meters up to 30 minutes)
• Dual 12MP camera system: Ultra Wide and Wide cameras
• HDR video recording with Dolby Vision up to 30 fps
• TrueDepth 12MP camera
• Lightning Connector
• base price: $699

iPhone 12
• Black, White, (PRODUCT)RED , Green, Blue
• 64GB, 128GB, 256GB
• Weight: 5.78 ounces (164 grams)
• A14 Bionic chip
• Ceramic Shield front
• 6.1” Super Retina XDR all-OLED display
• 2532‑by‑1170-pixel resolution at 460 ppi
• Dual 12MP camera system: Ultra Wide and Wide cameras
• TrueDepth 12MP camera
• Lightning Connector
• base price: $799

iPhone 12 Pro
• Silver, Graphite, Gold, Pacific Blue
• 128GB, 256GB, 512GB
• Weight: 6.66 ounces (189 grams)
• A14 Bionic chip
• Ceramic Shield front
• 6.1” Super Retina XDR all-OLED display
• 2532‑by‑1170-pixel resolution at 460 ppi
• Triple 12MP camera system: Ultra Wide, Wide, and Telephoto cameras
• LiDAR scanner
• TrueDepth 12MP camera
• Lightning Connector
• base price: $999

iPhone 12 Pro Max
• Silver, Graphite, Gold, Pacific Blue
• 128GB, 256GB, 512GB
• Weight: 8.03 ounces (228 grams)
• A14 Bionic chip
• Ceramic Shield front
• 6.7” Super Retina XDR all-OLED display
• 2778‑by‑1284-pixel resolution at 458 ppi
• Triple 12MP camera system: Ultra Wide, Wide, and Telephoto cameras
• LiDAR scanner
• TrueDepth 12MP camera
• Lightning Connector
• base price: $1099

Some new cases have been announced that attach magnetically to the back of the phones.

Will let somebody else post the availability dates.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-10-16, 13:39

Pre-orders just opened today actually.

If I were in the market I'd really lean to the Red 12 mini. I miss having a small phone. My 11 Pro is just not needing to be replaced though.

I'm also not convinces 5G is worth it in a handset yet. Next year I have no doubt it would be worth it... not yet though. Then again, I'm grateful to even have a signal at all where I live now.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2020-10-16, 14:12

Pre-ordered the 12 Pro this morning with a delivery date of next Friday. I know some people on Twitter said they had issues but I got through pretty easily. Traded in my 11 Pro and got $450. Went the route of just buying this phone outright for business use. I'm so excited to have the form of the iPhone 4 back. The 3G and the 4 were both my favorites so far.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
drewprops
Space Pirate

2020-10-16, 21:19

I'm curious to see if these phones will be using the modem technology Apple bought from Intel.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-10-16, 21:39

I doubt that. Too soon.

And Apple would have made a big issue out of it at the Keynote.
Batman

2020-10-17, 09:56

I had fully intended to wait this cycle out and ride my aging iPhone 6S off into the software-support sunset, otherwise known as Fall 2021.

That said, battery life is getting to be a concern, and more than that, the 12 mini looks snazzy as hell. Easily one of the prettiest Apple devices in recent memory.

Will my frugal constitution hold? Stay tuned to find out!
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-10-17, 12:07

Well, considering your last post was over three years ago, I'm betting your frugal constitution will hold just fine!

Thanks for popping in, and don't be a stranger!

P.S. The 12 Mini is so completely, utterly, magnificently awesome, that I am quite certain it will be my next phone!

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2020-10-17, 13:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
I doubt that. Too soon.

And Apple would have made a big issue out of it at the Keynote.
Yeah, the way I understand it, Apple ordered Qualcomm modems to buy themselves a year or two of getting ex-Intel 5G modems going.
Quagmire
meh

2020-10-17, 16:20

I’ll be preordering a 12 Pro Max come Nov 6th. Most likely in Pacific Blue. I love the iPhone 4/5 design marriage the 12 Pro brings. I’ll probably end up keeping this one for the long haul and leave the upgrade program.

giggity
¡Damned!

2020-10-17, 20:59

Same, but in Graphite. I've forever bitched about the size of my 6S+, but now that it's order time I can't imagine having anything smaller. Strange.

Probably test out the Apple Card no-interest thingy and just treat it like another subscription at 50 bucks a month. Just add it to the pile. Plus the 30-some bucks I'll get back will pay for a case or a MagSafe or whatever, so, why not?

So it goes.
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2020-10-17, 21:14

If I hadn't jumped on the SE2 on the day it launched, the 12 Mini would be mine, but there's no compelling reason to switch.
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2020-10-24, 23:04

Got my iPhone 12 Pro in Pacific Blue.

It looks and feels very similar to an iPhone 5/5S but I have to say, apple’s annual cycle for industrial design, mass scale engineering and manufacturing is simply incredible. The fact that they can produce 50 million+ of these with such impeccable precision and quality and all of the supporting infrastructure for service and repairs is simply incredible and they do it so well that we all take it for granted. It really is amazing.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2020-10-25, 00:14

Curious to know how intense (or laid back) the blue is.

You know what's driving me crazy? The rumors that the 13 will have a fingerprint reader again. I use mine all the time and do not look forward to going to a machine that requires me look at it or type in a passcode.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
Brave Ulysses
BANNED

2020-10-25, 13:01

The pacific blue is sharp but subtle if that makes sense. It looks great but is not nearly as blue as the iPhone 12 blue. In many lighting conditions it looks graphite or grey.

I do expect the edges of this phone to take a beating without a case though.

I also got a MagSafe charger. I was very excited about it. But 1. It’s too expensive. 2. While faster than Qi charging it’s still slower than a USB C plug 3. The magnet strength seems just slightly not strong enough.
Brave Ulysses
BANNED

2020-10-25, 21:52

Three days in and ATT can’t figure out how to activate my cellular data and my wife’s iPhone 12 has LTE but 5g is not working, not even showing up as an option.

Att said they are having issues with iPhone 12 activations and not sure why. They have asked for my patience and said they will “properly compensate me”.

Was kind of inconvenient over the weekend, will be very inconvenient moving into the work week if they don’t figure it out.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2020-10-26, 02:06

Thank you for beta testing it for us.

Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2020-10-26, 07:31

Got my 12 Pro Friday on Verizon. Had no issues activating. Data transfer went smoothly. Didn’t activate right away OTA so I went on the Verizon site and manually entered the info and activated almost immediately. Love the form feel. The 4/5 was my favorite and this is just like. Feels very solid.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2020-10-26, 08:10

I halfway suspect that somewhere down the road we will learn of some sort of friction between Apple and AT&T that happened ahead of this product launch. Just a feeling.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-10-26, 13:20

Given they might feel a bit hurt by the Verizon stage time...
Brave Ulysses
BANNED

2020-10-26, 14:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
I halfway suspect that somewhere down the road we will learn of some sort of friction between Apple and AT&T that happened ahead of this product launch. Just a feeling.

I agree

So, got my iPhones 12 working. Att still has not circled back with me on the support ticket but what I did last night was change my cellular plan to a newer cheaper plan and as soon as I clicked confirmed, the data on the phones worked without issue.
lukejamie07

2020-10-27, 05:50

Very much excited to buy iphone12 mini,As having iphone 8+ ,So big screen and littlie heavy too. But now its time to go back on small screen with new feature.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2020-10-27, 15:42

Yes it's quite a change, especially in Toledo as I understand.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-10-27, 15:54

I was taking bets on how long it would take you.
murbot
Hoonigan

2020-12-02, 03:17

So a few days ago I ordered an iPhone 12 Pro in that new cool fuckin' blue. Felt good about myself until I got the "fuck off hoser, it's 4 weeks back ordered" email. Whatever, I'll wait it out.

It should be a nice upgrade to the colossally glacial 5S I've been punishing my being with after shit-fucking my 8 to death by cracking the camera lens and then hot-tubbing with it.

As we've sold our business and I'm now a lowly Canada Post letter carrier relying on Google Maps to drag my old chunk of coal ass around with parcels and whatnot, let's hope the new phone can load the app in less than 20 seconds, and not turn itself into a pretzel trying to find myself after taking one wrong turn.

The updated camera will be like a bonus, eh.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2020-12-02, 09:01

LiDar could help with those mammographies, though you may recommend a hands on approach?
drewprops
Space Pirate

2020-12-02, 15:06

God. Murbot with new technology. This could spark another international incident.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-12-02, 15:52

Oh, I've already prepared the Ban Hammer.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2020-12-02, 15:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by murbot View Post
As we've sold our business and I'm now a lowly Canada Post letter carrier...
Hmm maybe that explains all the crushed packages. Nothing lowly about the job though, it’s an important t service, thank you!

Hope the new phone makes things a little easier for you though.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-12-02, 16:01

murbot
Hoonigan

2020-12-03, 02:17

Jesus you guys. Love it. haha

I cannot WAIT for the new phone. This 5S can suck my nether regions.

Had a funny thing happen yesterday. I was texting with the "Apple-Insiah dot com SUCKS" girl 2 days ago about her younger sister getting drunk on her 18th birthday (yeah I'm officially fucking ancient) and I googled up the cat WHERE THE FUCK AM I meme to send her. For the uninitiated:

Fast forward to yesterday and I'm trying to find this fuckin' address (turns out it didn't exist, thanks for stressing me out asshole shipper) and I finally realize google maps isn't going to help me, so I just decide to hit safari and search the address there.

I'm sitting there lost and wondering where the hell to go, and the first thing I see when I start up safari is that goddamned cat and WHERE THE FUCK AM I

Sat there belly laughing for a minute before heaving the parcel to the back of the truck.

Oh yeah, just realized many will not know who I'm talking about texting here, sorry but if you don't, you just don't get to be part of my little story.