goldstars on helpful posts

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
goldstars on helpful posts
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
nassau

2005-06-20, 20:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcimedes
I'd post you a gold star but I'm lazy. Good work though.

A smilely will have to do.

dude, isn't that a great idea, to put gold stars on posts that are helpful etc? if a post is deemed very helpful it could have a goldstar in the top. it would be a good way to sift through the rubbish sometimes...
LudwigVan
Veteran Member

2005-06-20, 20:47

Ugh, do we really want to turn this into a MacRumors.com "rate my post" deal? I can see this feature being abused, or at least not being helpful in many ways, unless a disinterested third party is involved with the voting, distributing some measure of evenhandedness about.

Perhaps limit the voting to the Genius Bar posts?
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2005-06-20, 21:02

If we don't make fun of you, it was a gold star post.
nassau

2005-06-20, 21:02

perhaps.... i was thinking mods would put the stars on em....
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2005-06-20, 21:12

Quote:
If we don't make fun of you, it was a gold star post.
Post of teh Day™!
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-06-20, 21:28

I don't like the idea of this.

When we set up this forum, we specifically chose not to implement the user ranking system (stars for X posts) because we don't want to provide grounds for spamming, indirectly encouraging cliques, and promoting senseless competition. We don't need an incentive to act like rational, intelligent beings. If we ever do, we'll be well beyond the help of any little icons.

I've seen the argument that a ranking system provides help for new members who don't know who to or not to trust. To that I reply that it's simply unnecessary here. Our members generally carry a good enough modicum of civility and high enough level of intelligence with posting that such an argument is moot. At many other forums, though, this is not the case. Of course, at some of those forums, we might not even be having a discussion like this.

Besides, we already have two other features that will basically do what you wish in a more subtle manner. First, we give members the ability to edit their user title after 1000 posts. Sound like a high limit? Sure, but that's just one way of separating the so-called forum elite from the posting peons like any other ranking system. Second, we have the reputation system enabled. See that little +/- button on every single post? You can add to or subtract from a member's reputation by using that button. This is far more reliable than any moderator-given "star" prizes since the results will be generated by the overall community, not any single (or few) person. To see a user's reputation, just see his or her profile page or the Members List.

Now before you come back to say, "But Brad, you're going a bit off on a tangent -- I'm talking about putting a star on individual posts, not on user accounts," let me say that it's still aiming to achieve the same basic ends. It singles-out posts for no significantly good reason, putting user X into a higher class than user Y because X got a star. If a post is a "good post," shouldn't it be obvious enough by just looking at it? If the content of a post is intelligent, does it really need a sign to people saying, "HAY GUYS THIS IS A GOOD POST"? No, that's redundant.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2005-06-20, 21:45

^ ... well, somebody has to do it:

I thought that was such a good post ... don't thank me - you deserve it!
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2005-06-20, 22:07

^^

Mac+
9" monochrome

2005-06-20, 22:13

forgot these ... [irony] [/irony]
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-06-20, 22:14

See what I mean?? We haven't even implemented it and it's already causing problems!

curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2005-06-20, 22:32

Of course, sh*thole posts get the brown star.
¡Damned!

2005-06-21, 06:37

hehe..brown starfish...hehehe.

Luckily I keep this under my desk...just in case:

So it goes.

Last edited by 709 : 2005-06-21 at 06:43.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2005-06-21, 07:45

... oh, that is so wrong.
¡Damned!

2005-06-21, 08:03

Hmm. And now I stumble upon this thread...

I think it's going to be one of those days.
Meltedbutter421

Send a message via AIM to Meltedbutter421  
2005-06-21, 10:51

Quote:
I'd post you a gold star but I'm lazy. Good work though.

A smilely will have to do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nassau
dude, isn't that a great idea, to put gold stars on posts that are helpful etc? if a post is deemed very helpful it could have a goldstar in the top. it would be a good way to sift through the rubbish sometimes...
ahahhahahah that was from my post! wooohoooooo i feel special

Last edited by Meltedbutter421 : 2005-06-21 at 10:54.
eleazar

2005-06-21, 14:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
I don't like the idea of this.

When we set up this forum, we specifically chose not to implement the user ranking system (stars for X posts) because we don't want to provide grounds for spamming, indirectly encouraging cliques, and promoting senseless competition. We don't need an incentive to act like rational, intelligent beings. If we ever do, we'll be well beyond the help of any little icons.

I've seen the argument that a ranking system provides help for new members who don't know who to or not to trust. To that I reply that it's simply unnecessary here. Our members generally carry a good enough modicum of civility and high enough level of intelligence with posting that such an argument is moot. At many other forums, though, this is not the case. Of course, at some of those forums, we might not even be having a discussion like this.

Besides, we already have two other features that will basically do what you wish in a more subtle manner. First, we give members the ability to edit their user title after 1000 posts. Sound like a high limit? Sure, but that's just one way of separating the so-called forum elite from the posting peons like any other ranking system. Second, we have the reputation system enabled. See that little +/- button on every single post? You can add to or subtract from a member's reputation by using that button. This is far more reliable than any moderator-given "star" prizes since the results will be generated by the overall community, not any single (or few) person. To see a user's reputation, just see his or her profile page or the Members List.

Now before you come back to say, "But Brad, you're going a bit off on a tangent -- I'm talking about putting a star on individual posts, not on user accounts," let me say that it's still aiming to achieve the same basic ends. It singles-out posts for no significantly good reason, putting user X into a higher class than user Y because X got a star. If a post is a "good post," shouldn't it be obvious enough by just looking at it? If the content of a post is intelligent, does it really need a sign to people saying, "HAY GUYS THIS IS A GOOD POST"? No, that's redundant.
Just throwing an idea out there but, what about making it to where your rep points were under your name somewhere? That way we can see the rep for all the posters on a thread. Or if that is still too much information "out there", what about having the rep show up when you mouseover the +- box?
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2005-06-21, 14:59

We had that at one point where it would show your rep under your member name, but it looked kind of trashy. That, and I think if a member has an unjust negative rating (although most of the time it is just) people may be less willing to listen to them and or to take their advice.

Come waste your time with me
¡Damned!

2005-06-21, 15:08

Don't listen to him, eleazar.

Last edited by 709 : 2005-06-21 at 15:09.
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2005-06-21, 15:12

Actually 709 is missing something below his user name...it used to look something like this:

Except there was like 12 of them
¡Damned!

2005-06-21, 15:13

C'mon DMB, gimme a hug.
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2005-06-21, 15:51

You know I love you.

<hug>

Franz Josef
Passing by

2005-06-21, 16:34

Star rating system looks like a poor idea. What Brad said - civility & intelligence.
nassau

2005-06-27, 14:28

but the +/- rating system is not very reliable. anyone bearing a grudge with someone because his idea was not appreciated can rate down that member.

like me - for some reason i was rated -9 recently and now it's -5 (saying i have offended some people)

that's insulting to begin with. i haven't insulted anyone on here, unless someone felt insulted because i didn't agree with them etc.

what did i do to deserve -5???? people are more prone to rate other negatively that positively. if someone has a grudge they might take extra steps to "get back", while a happy person will reply to your post and say thanks.
Paul
Veteran Member

2005-06-27, 14:43

check your preferences to see who has affected your rating, for what post, and (usually) why...
nassau

2005-06-27, 14:51

is it me or can i not see who rated me?
¡Damned!

2005-06-27, 14:53

Do you have the 'Last Reputation Received' bar widgeted down?
johnq
Multi-touch Piñata

2005-06-27, 14:57

Note that the "preferences" link and your <username>/"public profile" links are not the same thing.
nassau

2005-06-27, 14:58

yes.

but it's not showing who rated me...
¡Damned!

2005-06-27, 15:08

Well that's odd. It should show 4 things:

Thread - Date - Posted By - Comment

Maybe as a safeguard from users like ohara the 'Posted By' is disabled for anyone below 0? I really don't know.

So it goes.
nassau

2005-06-27, 15:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709
Well that's odd. It should show 4 things:

Thread - Date - Posted By - Comment

Maybe as a safeguard from users like ohara the 'Posted By' is disabled for anyone below 0? I really don't know.

huh...
i get Thread - Date - Comment