Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2021-09-16, 13:42

Just came to post this...
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-09-16, 13:43

Yeah. I PM'd Brad but I also reported myself so it would email the leadership.

I dealt with this with my servers. Something changed in the paths for letsencrypt on linux and it screwed up my certs. Updating the path in the cron fixed it though. For most of my systems now I use acme.sh since it seems to be very well maintained and has been painless once implemented.

It went from:
Code:
/opt/letsencrypt/letsencrypt-auto renew && systemctl reload httpd
to
Code:
/opt/letsencrypt/letsencrypt-auto-source/letsencrypt-auto renew && systemctl reload httpd

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-09-16, 15:57

If you guys have already sent him a note, then I don't need to.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-09-16, 16:04

drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-09-16, 17:20

If we leave it then we'll be more exclusive!!!!

chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-09-16, 17:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
I think you need a…

Bradsignal

I’m sorry
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-09-16, 19:33

No wonder I haven't heard back from him yet.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2021-09-17, 08:15

Weird. Let's Encrypt usually sends out a bunch of reminders shortly before this happens, but I didn't get any this time. 🤔 I guess I need to double-check all my spam filters and maybe set up a little extra monitoring.

Thanks for the heads-up, though. Hopefully all is good now.

I think I've mentioned this before, but the cert here is kind of like a dead man's switch for me, and it's one thing that I manually refresh every few months. If it stays broken for too long, you can probably write me off as a goner.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-09-17, 08:17

Not that I expect you to feel better about it, but I only got one for a domain that was expiring on my server. I don't have multiple names on my certs but do a cert for each TLD. Only one out a handful. I checked spam too.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-09-17, 08:59

I didn’t know what was going on but that message screen I got when trying to visit the past 12-18 hours kinda scared me so I just figured it was happening to others and would soon get sorted out. I didn’t know if it was just something I was seeing on both my phone and Mac.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-09-17, 09:29

The error you see is something you should be concerned about normally. I know the geeky stuff so I knew it was safe. If you don't know how to check, or what to check then best to be safe.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-09-17, 09:34

That was me. I didn’t feel safe proceeding. I figured at some point in the coming days I’d check back and the site would load again normally, no biggie.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-09-17, 10:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
I think I've mentioned this before, but the cert here is kind of like a dead man's switch for me, and it's one thing that I manually refresh every few months. If it stays broken for too long, you can probably write me off as a goner.
I didn't know this but certainly understand the logic here.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-09-17, 11:51

If y'all want to pay for a full on SSL I'm in for a contribution.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-09-17, 12:33

That would leave him to be dead up to five years before the cert expires though. Not a very timely dead man's switch.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-09-17, 12:44

Quote:
That would leave him to be dead up to five years before the cert expires though. Not a very timely dead man's switch.
Egads, you're RIGHT!!

Brad we are going to need more connections so we can save you.

chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-09-17, 16:17

Quote:
Nope. Max cert length that most browsers accept is now roughly one year. You can still buy for multiple, but they’ll simply issue you another one a year down the road.

Quote:
The error you see is something you should be concerned about normally.
Ostensibly. In practice, the times I’ve seen where a cert warning was an actual case of identity fraud is probably zero or close to that. The times I’ve seen very warnings where someone forgot to fix their cert? Many (including sometimes from big corps like MS).
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-09-17, 16:44

I thought there was a limit for the certs now. I was actually surprised to see we could order for 5 years still.

As for the error, you and I know what to look for and what to expect. We have the training and knowledge for it. I'm not going to recommend someone "chance it" when they really don't have a clue. In practice, I've never seen a real man-in-the-middle or malicious takeover/redirect either though. Outside to training and such that is.

chucker

2021-09-17, 16:54

Quote:
As for the error, you and I know what to look for and what to expect. We have the training and knowledge for it. I'm not going to recommend someone "chance it" when they really don't have a clue.
Yes, that’s fair.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2021-09-17, 20:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
I didn’t know what was going on but that message screen I got when trying to visit the past 12-18 hours kinda scared me so I just figured it was happening to others and would soon get sorted out. I didn’t know if it was just something I was seeing on both my phone and Mac.
Same here.

I thought about visiting Reddit to check what was going on, but was too lazy.

I just checked then… no action.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-05-28, 09:14

Head's up, I just got this alert again on my iPhone and MacBook on 5/27, saying this site's certificate had expired. I went ahead and visited because I assumed that's all it is?
chucker

2022-05-28, 13:13

Yeah, Brad’s auto-renew script must be borked.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2022-05-28, 13:31

Sorry for the hiccup, folks. Should be all better now! I'm not dead yet.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-05-28, 14:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
I'm not dead yet.

I'm getting my money back!

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-05-28, 15:06

I've noticed that the email notice of pending cert expirations seems to have stopped almost completely at this point. I'm actively monitoring my certs now with a Zabbix server. I just can't trust they will auto-renew nor can I trust that I'll get the email letting me know they are expiring.