Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

The Great Courses

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
The Great Courses
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2013-01-29, 16:39

Most of you have probably at one time or another, received a catalog in the mail filled with all kinds of cool courses for adults who want to take some college 101 / 201 level education (math, science, history, you name it) from the comfort of their own home, from renowned professions around the world.

http://www.buygreatcourses.com/

Right now there is the biggest sale I've seen since I started receiving these catalogs (80% off many titles). So my question to you guys is, who has purchased one or more of these courses in the past and did you enjoy it / find the medium of DVD (what we'll probably use although I might download one too) an acceptable way to learn and retain knowledge?

Which courses did you get? I am thinking of taking a step beyond KAHHHHHN Academy and trying to re-learn some important math concepts this way, although I'm skeptical of the format especially in that case. History, science, not necessarily as big a deal but math you need to practice, so Kahn might be better for that.

But there are other courses. They have an awesome Astronomy course that's like 98.5 lectures long for not that much money, and others.

...into the light of a dark black night.
addabox
Veteran Member

2013-01-29, 17:26

A while back I was listening during my commute to some lectures on CD that I checked out from the local library. I think they were "Great Courses" but I'm not sure.

What I discovered is that the distractions of driving made learning very difficult. I would hear what the guy was saying (I got the Reformation and Greek history, something like 8 CDs a course) and literally tell myself to concentrate, listen, listen, then all of a sudden it would be like 5 minutes later and I would have no idea what he was talking about. I'd back-up on the disc, and immediately do exactly the same thing. It would take me 3 or 4 tries just to get through a 15 minute section with some modicum of comprehension.

I don't know if the DVDs are more compelling (obviously you wouldn't be doing that in your car) but my guess is that whatever the quality of the course material, getting something out of it would require the same attentiveness and note-taking strategies that you would bring to a live lecture class. I believe there are also supplementary materials that probably help. I imagined I could get some info into my brain without having to devote special time to it; I was sadly mistaken.

That which doesn't kill you weakens you slightly and makes you less able to cope until you're completely incapacitated
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2013-01-29, 19:04

Sounds like a bit of attention deficit going on (I have to "rewind" my brain at times to when I'm listening to something but visually doing something else).

I decided to try a couple courses (for both my wife and I) but I'm still interested in hearing if anyone has experience with these. Many of the professors are in prestigious positions (CalTech, Harvard, etc) and have won teaching excellent awards so that's the sales hook that got me interested. I know these aren't community college part-time profs looking for extra income or something.

...into the light of a dark black night.
RandyBonn

Send a message via AIM to RandyBonn Send a message via Yahoo to RandyBonn  
2019-11-25, 07:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogs View Post
Most of you have probably at one time or another, received a catalog in the mail filled with all kinds of cool courses for adults who want to take some college 101 / 201 level education (math, science, history, you name it) from the comfort of their own home, from renowned professions around the world.
http://www.buygreatcourses.com/college essay help
Right now there is the biggest sale I've seen since I started receiving these catalogs (80% off many titles). So my question to you guys is, who has purchased one or more of these courses in the past and did you enjoy it / find the medium of DVD (what we'll probably use although I might download one too) an acceptable way to learn and retain knowledge?
Which courses did you get? I am thinking of taking a step beyond KAHHHHHN Academy and trying to re-learn some important math concepts this way, although I'm skeptical of the format especially in that case. History, science, not necessarily as big a deal but math you need to practice, so Kahn might be better for that.
But there are other courses. They have an awesome Astronomy course that's like 98.5 lectures long for not that much money, and others.

Hi there,

I guess the best resource for learning so far is edX (and the courses are free). I myself studied Astrophysics and Quantum Physics using edX - I had theory and practice 2 + 2 hours per day correspondingly, when I had to prepare for the finals.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-11-25, 13:48

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-11-25, 21:11

yejefol

2020-02-21, 00:19

Studying online gives you more flexibility. You can work and fit your work schedule around your coursework more easily.
.tech5hop.com/anime-heaven/"]Anime Heaven

We don't want you here, spammer. Go away!

~ Kscherer

Last edited by kscherer : 2020-02-23 at 20:42.