Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

Attn: Comcast Customers - Don't Get Hosed

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Attn: Comcast Customers - Don't Get Hosed
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2008-12-29, 20:33

Comcast is doing a lot of nation-wide upgrades right now and into January. Prices and performance levels are changing and they're trying to pull the ole switch-a-roo, leaving your old price intact while new users (after the promo period) will get 2-5x MORE performance for the same amount you are paying... meantime your performance won't change.

Check their web site... the baseline (non-promotional) price is now $42.95 for 15Mbps downstream (guessing 2-3Mbps up) whereas the old set up was 6Mbps/1Mbps for close to $60/month. $63/month now gets you almost 30Mbps upstream, so don't let yourselves be taken for a ride. Either demand that you get the amount of performance for your current billed amount or that you get your fee downsized to the level commensurate with the amount of bandwidth you have.

When you call they'll say "let me check and see what you have", "oh that's a promo price on teh web site" blah blah... just stick it right back in their face and flat out tell them you will leave if you are forced to pay an old service level price AND settle for less bandwidth than new customers who will pay that much 3 months from now.

The more of us who call, the more they will have to get their shit together. Spread the word!

...into the light of a dark black night.
Ebby
Subdued and Medicated

Send a message via AIM to Ebby  
2008-12-30, 15:30

ohh! 'bout time. my bro has that 15mb thing as part of a package and we have 4. he had cable for 2 years and us 8. UPGRADE ME!

^^ One more quality post from the desk of Ebby. ^^
SSBA | SmockBogger | SporkNET
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2008-12-30, 16:14

Yah no doubt, I just wanted to let people know that they shouldn't assume their billed amount actually gets them what a new customer would get for that amount, after promotional periods have passed. They'll definitely try to give you less for more if you don't ask for what's rightly coming to you.

I have noticed lately that my upstream speeds have been boosted a good bit but downstream doesn't seem to have changed much. I told them, either I get $60 worth of bandwidth based on your new prices, or I pay what new customers pay for 15Mbps (which is the lowest level they have listed). Technically even that's a rip since if people are paying $42 for 15, I should be paying about $20 for 6. Ripoff artists....

Last edited by Moogs : 2008-12-30 at 16:25.
hmurchison
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to hmurchison  
2008-12-30, 16:35

Cancelled Comcast account at my lady's place. Will re-up at the 30Mbps download rate later.

Wish I had access to FIOS which offers 50Mbps download in many areas for roughly the same price as Comcast's 30Mbps

omgwtfbbq
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2008-12-30, 16:40

Yep, I will do the same thing if I have to.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2008-12-30, 19:32

Are the improved speeds related to Comcast's Docsis 3.0 network rollout? I read a few months ago that Comcast was starting to turn on a new network with much faster up & down speeds.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2008-12-30, 21:12

Quite possibly. I have not heard of specific rollout technologies but they clearly are increasing bandwidth across the board and now have multiple levels of service whereas there used to be only one level in any given market.