AppleNova Forums » GamingNova »

The MMO Thread

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
The MMO Thread
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2011-11-09, 14:11

Decided to make a thread for all MMOs instead of the single thread I was planning to make, so the forum doesn't get cluttered.

Who plays MMOs, and what do you play? Who's waiting for anything to come out?

I've never really been a fan on the genre, because I hate gameplay for the sake of gameplay; I'm a story whore. So games like Myst or Riven, where the focus is on story and not gameplay elements, are my typical forte, or RPGs like Dragon Age or Mass Effect, where there are lots of game elements but there's still rich stories and characters, are more my game kink.

That said, I've got my preorder in for Star Wars: The Old Republic already, and am super excited beyond words. I have been a Star Wars fan as long as I can consciously remember, and have always wanted to be Darth Vader. Now I can actually be Darth Vader. My floormates and I can be heroes of the Empire and kill all the Republic scum! What is not to like about this game? I mean, I'm still a bit weirded out by the idea of "and it's an MMO and there are all these other people around me who are going to steal my kills and shit", but the storylines are fantastic, the companions entertaining, the classes look fun, and I can immerse myself in the Star Wars universe for hours. I feel like it's more a single player RPG where I can choose to group with my friends or not, and that's awesome.

I was excited about Guild Wars 2, as well. Lack of a monthly fee means that, like with GW1, I can pick it up and have years of play. Plus I like that they're destroying the holy RPG trinity stereotype; if they can pull it off, that's impressive. But I think TOR totally stole my soul away and therefore even if they announced a release date there's no way I am buying it for the first 6 months or TOR's lifespan.

"A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel my anger!" - Darth Baras
twitter ; amateur photographer ; fanfiction writer ; roleplayer and worldbuilder
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2011-11-09, 14:21

Addict.