User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Do you double-knot your shoes?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
View Poll Results: Do you double-knot your shoes?
I double-knot my shoes by re-tying the loops. 23 45.10%
I double-knot my shoes by re-tying the loops and ends. 4 7.84%
I don't double-knot my shoes. 14 27.45%
I don't have shoes with laces. 4 7.84%
I don't have shoes. 0 0%
I don't have feet. 6 11.76%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Do you double-knot your shoes?
SledgeHammer

2005-03-21, 13:34

While I was tying my shoes yesterday, I got to wondering, how many other people double-knot their shoes? Also, I've wanted to post a poll for a long time, and this seemed like a good excuse.
kretara
Cynical Old Bastard

Send a message via AIM to kretara Send a message via Yahoo to kretara  
2005-03-21, 13:41

I don't double-knot my shoes, but I do double-knot my 5 yo daughters shoes. Man, it seems that her shoes will come untied every 10 minutes if they are not double-knotted.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2005-03-21, 14:07

Oooh!

I used to double-knot, but I got sick and tired of having to struggle to get them undone, so I stopped.

But then they came undone on their own. :P

I found the solution.

You know when you make the first loop, then wrap the other end around it?

Wrap it twice, then continue as usual.

It will *not* come undone, just like a double-knot, but you can untie it just like a regular knot - grab an end and pull.

Best solution I've ever found.
ast3r3x
25 chars of wasted space.

Send a message via AIM to ast3r3x  
2005-03-21, 14:22

I double knot or they come undone. I also slip my shoes off and on, so I don't have to retie.
nmkramer

2005-03-21, 16:18

Buy a good pair of laces and you'll never have to double tie them, because they'll stay tied no matter what.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2005-03-21, 16:22

I have a pair of shoes with slippery laces. Always have to double-knot those. But normally I don't double-knot.

Leave it to a guy with a degree in physics to come up with the above solution. Thanks, Kickaha. I'll have to try that.
SledgeHammer

2005-03-21, 16:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha
Oooh!

I used to double-knot, but I got sick and tired of having to struggle to get them undone, so I stopped.

But then they came undone on their own. :P

I found the solution.

You know when you make the first loop, then wrap the other end around it?

Wrap it twice, then continue as usual.

It will *not* come undone, just like a double-knot, but you can untie it just like a regular knot - grab an end and pull.

Best solution I've ever found.
My solution to your problem is the second option in the poll. Instead of taking only the loops and knotting them again, I take the loops and straight ends together and reknot them the same way you would when double-knotting the ends. They stay tied as well as a regular double-knot, but are easier to untie.
johnq
Multi-touch Piñata

2005-03-21, 17:01

Damn you guys, I now have a bitch of a knot in my boot.

I'm 37, I'm not trying anything new ever again.
Baylor8306

2005-03-21, 17:18

i double-knot my shoes and just slip them on and off, except for one pair that i just got, i have to untie them each time
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2005-03-21, 17:50

In this same vein (kinda anyway), which of your feet is the first one to hit the floor in the morning? Your left foot or right foot? Is the foot that first hits the floor on your dominant side? I.e. if you're right handed does your right foot hit the floor first? Enquiring minds want to know.
iBrowse

2005-03-22, 01:31

I usually wear Chuck Taylor high tops so I have to tie and untie them every time, and the laces that come with them are fairly slippery so I have to double knot them. If I'm just going out and not to work I can usually get away with just tying them normally and tucking the laces inside the shoes, since the laces are so thin I can't feel them inside and they almost never come out to get untied. My skate shoes are kept double knotted and I slip them on and off.

I voted for 'no feet' just because I got quite a chuckle out of the fact that there was an option for that.

i thought i used to have a signature
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2005-03-22, 01:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassplayinMacFiend
In this same vein (kinda anyway), which of your feet is the first one to hit the floor in the morning? Your left foot or right foot? Is the foot that first hits the floor on your dominant side? I.e. if you're right handed does your right foot hit the floor first? Enquiring minds want to know.
Wouldn't that kind of depend on which side of the bed you sleep on?
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2005-03-22, 01:46

I am stunned at how many people don't have feet....
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2005-03-22, 02:17

i put both feet on the floor at the same time. i never get off the bed to the side, always off the end of the bed. I also have two dogs that sleep on either side of the bed, so I'm trying not to step on them when I get up in the morning.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
SonOfSylvanus
Fro Productions(tm)

2005-03-22, 06:08

I don't double knot anymore. Sometimes my laces become undone. I'll try Kickaha's advice then.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2005-03-22, 07:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcimedes
i put both feet on the floor at the same time. i never get off the bed to the side, always off the end of the bed. I also have two dogs that sleep on either side of the bed, so I'm trying not to step on them when I get up in the morning.
Hey, did you remove my post - the one where I replied to this ^ comment of yours?
octavist13

2005-03-22, 13:08

Who cares? Oh wait, uh, never mind.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2005-03-22, 13:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by octavist13
Who cares? Oh wait, uh, never mind.
Yeah, well, *I* care, that's who.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2005-03-22, 13:54

I once had a steel toed boots and the laces got all frizzed out, so I used thin steel cable for laces. Bitch to tie, but once tied (no double knots), never comes apart and gives me a feel of security.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2005-03-22, 14:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha
Wouldn't that kind of depend on which side of the bed you sleep on?
Depends on whether you just swing the outside leg and onto the floor in one swell foop or if you sit up then move both legs to the floor. Then either one would still hit first, or they could both hit at the same time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcimedes
See? There ya go! I didn't even think to ask if you get out of bed at the side or at the bottom? The combinations of choices are staggering.
thuh Freak
Finally broke the seal

2005-03-22, 14:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratt
I am stunned at how many people don't have feet....
you insensitive clod!

i used to make these insane knots. not really double or triple, but a weird mess of twisted laces, cat hair, and {i presume} human blood. we had this thing in h.s. where we'd tie each other's laces together all the time, and it was my only defense. i made the "knot" loose enough that i could slip in and out of my shoes easily. my work shoes these days are lace-less. and these days, my sneakers are double-knotted and i slip in and out of them. i hate dealing with laces.
¡Damned!

2005-03-22, 15:23

I don't even remember the last time I had to deal with laces.

Chippewa steel-toed boots forever.
InactionMan
Veteran Member

2005-03-22, 18:00

I wear Blundstones to work so no laces there. Sneaks are knotted loosley so I can slip them off. I wish I could wear velcro shoes without being called a retard.
abraham

2005-03-22, 21:08

I recently invented a pair of magic laces that involve several complex spells to enable them. Too bad only level_8 mages have the necessary abilities. And I don't think many people here are level 8... eh?

Radiohead!!!
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2005-03-23, 00:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by abraham
I recently invented a pair of magic laces that involve several complex spells to enable them. Too bad only level_8 mages have the necessary abilities. And I don't think many people here are level 8... eh?
I thought "magic laces" were those plastic laces you got on trainers that look a bit like curley wurly straws and you just pull tight... If you think it's majic that's your problem!!

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt