User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Third-Party Products »

how to KEEP Excel window size & position?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
how to KEEP Excel window size & position?
malcolm

2005-03-31, 10:05

Hi all,
Every time I launch a particular Excel file, the window opens on my powerbook screen, and I have to drag it over to my big external Display and make it bigger.
When I shut down and start up again, I have to go through the same motions, and this puzzles me. Other application windows open in the same place, size and configuration where I last left them.
How can I do this with this Excel window?
What can I do so that when I open it the next time, it opens in the same position and size where I left it (i.e. on my ext. display)?
thanks for any help,
Malcolm
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-03-31, 10:08

Try deleting this file:

~/Library/Preferences/com.microsoft.Excel.plist

If that doesn't help, try deleting these files:

~/Library/Preferences/Microsoft/Excel Settings (10)
~/Library/Preferences/Microsoft/Excel Toolbars (10)

Or just the whole Microsoft folder if you're really determined. Of course, that would revert *all* of the Microsoft Office apps back to their default settings.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
malcolm

2005-03-31, 11:30

Thanks for tip, Brad, but I tried the first two suggestions, with no luck.
Any other suggestions out there?
thanks,
Malcolm
(P.S. I tried to e-mail Microsoft to ask about preserving window settings, but I've already used up my two e-mail limit. I've also looked for a Mac Excel Users forum, but can't find any such thing. Anyone know where I might find such a group?)
malcolm

2005-04-06, 11:40

Hi there,
I haven't found a way within Excel to, between launches, keep my Excel window in the position (on my ext. display) and size (larger) where I last left it, so...
is there any 3rd-party software out there that might do this?
Malcolm
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-04-06, 11:44

Threads merged.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-04-06, 11:59

Also, I just realized that all along I misunderstood your original request. I didn't know you were referring to a specific document.

Here's an idea:

Select all and copy the content of this stubborn file. Create a new document. Paste the content. Reposition, save, and close the new document. Open it. Did it stay in the right place?

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
malcolm

2005-04-07, 09:27

Hi Brad,
I tried what you said, and no luck. I think Excel just doesn't let you do this, for some reason. I appreciate the help, though.
I think my only hope (I've already written Microsoft asking that the ability to remember the last window size and position be built in to their next update, but I don't expect to hear from them) - - my only hope is that there might be some 3rd-party software out there that might do this.
If you hear of anything, please let me know.
Cheers,
Malcolm
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-04-07, 09:32

I really doubt there's any third-party software that'll fix this. Window position that's stored on a per-document basis is generally stored as a part of the document's binary code and is not easy to reverse-engineer.

I'm sorry to hear that this is still being a bother. What version of Excel are you using?

malcolm

2005-04-07, 09:41

Hi Brad,
I'm using the latest, 11.1.1.
I just don't understand why so many of my other apps remember window size and position - - and Excel doesn't.
Oh well. If I ever do find anything, I'll let you know. Otherwise, I'll try to stop obsessing about it!
cheers,
Malcolm