User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

The TV Thread (for shows not called "Lost")

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
The TV Thread (for shows not called "Lost")
Page 14 of 33 First Previous 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18  Next Last Thread Tools
murbot
Hoonigan

2017-03-20, 11:19

Man, I have slogged through 6 or 7 episodes, and it's pretty bad. I was a big Iron Fist fan as a kid, have so many comics still in sleeves, I wanted this to kick ass. But it's pretty boring. The acting is pretty bad.

I'll soldier on and hope it gets a little better. Damn, Daniel!!!
¡Damned!

2017-03-20, 20:47

I'm only 2 episodes in but it's very 'CW with Netflix production' so far, which, I don't know, I'm kind've digging. Lots of the best/worst TV tropes in just the first episode and I loved how ridiculous it was, not gonna lie. Maybe this is just more comic-booky in its dialog and editing? That's how I'm looking at it right now. Plus I know fuck-all about Iron Fist and what chicks he gets with.

[edit]: Carrie-Ann Moss (sp?) is back! Things are looking up.

Last edited by 709 : 2017-03-20 at 22:51.
murbot
Hoonigan

2017-03-20, 23:14

This may be because I'm a bad man, but I always want these guys to do more, hurt people more, kick more ass, and quit worrying about whether the guy they just beat the shit out of is going to be ok, after they just tried fucking killing you.

Grow a pair and smash!!!!!
Ryan
Veteran Member

2017-03-21, 11:37

How have we not talked about the upcoming American Gods miniseries on Starz?

The original casting rumors (Dane Cook as Shadow ) fortunately did not come true. The casting looks perfect judging by the trailer. I'm *super* excited about this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3awG5wEE7LU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyoXURn9oK0
Ryan
Veteran Member

2017-04-07, 23:03

I picked up the complete series of M*A*S*H on DVD a few weeks ago. Working my way back through the entire series. Remarkable how well this show holds up over 30 years later.

Alan Alda is a fantastic actor.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2017-04-08, 23:11

I was tempted to watch them again. Aren't they only 22 minute shows?
Ryan
Veteran Member

2017-04-09, 00:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
I was tempted to watch them again. Aren't they only 22 minute shows?
Yeah, they're short.
addabox
Veteran Member

2017-04-11, 17:12

Can't be the only one who watched Legion. I thought it was fantastic. Despite ostensibly being part of the Marvel/X Men universe, it's nothing like any depiction of a Marvel property to date.

Trippy, crazy, beautifully shot and edited, never quite sure if what you're seeing is real or a hallucination or some kind of mutant mind fuck. At first I thought the main dude's (AKA Legion hisself) feckless/whiny thing was going to get old, but REASONS. And once Jermaine Clement shows up, it's running on all cylinders.

Also: Aubrey Plaza gets the role of a lifetime and blows it up.

That which doesn't kill you weakens you slightly and makes you less able to cope until you're completely incapacitated
Ryan
Veteran Member

2017-05-02, 22:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
How have we not talked about the upcoming American Gods miniseries on Starz?

The original casting rumors (Dane Cook as Shadow ) fortunately did not come true. The casting looks perfect judging by the trailer. I'm *super* excited about this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3awG5wEE7LU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyoXURn9oK0
Anyone watch the premier Sunday?

That Bilquis scene. *shudders* Disturbing. Pretty true to the novel so far—the liberties they've taken have made sense. I suppose the biggest issue is that Shadow had more lines in the premier than I think he has in the entire novel, but you can't very well have the main character of a TV show just stand around brooding for an hour.

Spoiler (click to toggle):
The other big deviation is the lynching. Been a while since I read the book but I'm pretty sure that wasn't in there. OTOH the book never specifies his race so lynching him in the novel wouldn't have the same connotations.

I wonder if that was meant to foreshadow their planned depiction of Mr. Wednesday's vigil later in the series.

In other news, Netflix's revival of MST3K is hilarious.

"The Danish army: cheaper than extras, less busy"
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2017-05-03, 20:40

I finally finished watching Iron Fist. I actually didn't mind it that much. It is the worse of the four Marvel shows but isn't so bad I didn't like it. I did manage to play Minecraft a few times while I was "watching" it though.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2017-07-18, 11:46

So I just finished watching Castlevania and am mildly annoyed about the ending of the series.

That being said I did enjoy it and the fact that it followed the game storyline enough.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2017-07-18, 12:44

Quote:
I picked up the complete series of M*A*S*H on DVD a few weeks ago. Working my way back through the entire series. Remarkable how well this show holds up over 30 years later.

Alan Alda is a fantastic actor.
M*A*S*H was on Netflix for a while, and my daughter and I watched through the entire series. I loved it as a kid (although my dad would squawk and holler about the "propaganda") and I loved it even more now than I did then. I loved the antics and the view and horror of war from the eyes of the men and women who tried to put destroyed lives back together. Wikipedia lists 36,516 American men and women killed in action, and another 92,134 injured. While there are no statistics listing the number who died in hospital, we can presume it was at least 25%, and probably much higher, which means that something like 110,000 men and women passed through those M*A*S*H units in some way or another. Understanding those numbers is key to understanding the drinking and tomfoolery which must have occurred in order to keep doctors and nurses somewhat sane.

To this day, I believe M*A*S*H portrayed that horror (from a medical team's perspective) better than any other show. I cannot imagine having to patch up kids in such conditions and, outside of major natural disasters and military field hospitals, most medical personnel cannot, either. The humor was a nice distraction from the reality the producers were trying to convey.

Next to today's toilet-humor sitcoms, mind-numbing crime dramas and their unrealistic solve-it-in-a-day computerized investigating, and zombie nonsense, M*A*S*H was downright realistic.

AS for shows worth watching, I have been quite enjoying Netflix's The Last Kingdom and Frontier.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
drewprops
Space Pirate

2017-07-18, 17:16

I also finished Iron First and it was just "okay".

Not terribly challenging.

Hardly compelling.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2017-07-22, 19:03

Stranger Things 2 trailer looks awesome. I'm really looking forward to binge watching that one!
Ryan
Veteran Member

2017-07-22, 22:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
M*A*S*H was on Netflix for a while, and my daughter and I watched through the entire series. I loved it as a kid (although my dad would squawk and holler about the "propaganda") and I loved it even more now than I did then. I loved the antics and the view and horror of war from the eyes of the men and women who tried to put destroyed lives back together. Wikipedia lists 36,516 American men and women killed in action, and another 92,134 injured. While there are no statistics listing the number who died in hospital, we can presume it was at least 25%, and probably much higher, which means that something like 110,000 men and women passed through those M*A*S*H units in some way or another. Understanding those numbers is key to understanding the drinking and tomfoolery which must have occurred in order to keep doctors and nurses somewhat sane.

To this day, I believe M*A*S*H portrayed that horror (from a medical team's perspective) better than any other show. I cannot imagine having to patch up kids in such conditions and, outside of major natural disasters and military field hospitals, most medical personnel cannot, either. The humor was a nice distraction from the reality the producers were trying to convey.

Next to today's toilet-humor sitcoms, mind-numbing crime dramas and their unrealistic solve-it-in-a-day computerized investigating, and zombie nonsense, M*A*S*H was downright realistic.

AS for shows worth watching, I have been quite enjoying Netflix's The Last Kingdom and Frontier.
From Wikipedia:

Quote:
This proved to be highly successful; during the Korean War, a seriously wounded soldier who made it to a MASH unit alive had a greater than 97% chance of survival once he received treatment.
The TV show didn't invent those statistics about the MASH units.

That is amazing.

One of the show's most moving moments was near the end of the series finale, Goodbye, Farewell and Amen, when the radio announcer goes through statistics about the Korean War. AFAIK, the stats given in the show are accurate. Can't find the scene on Youtube unfortunately.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2017-07-24, 11:46

Quote:
From Wikipedia:

The TV show didn't invent those statistics about the MASH units.

That is amazing.

One of the show's most moving moments was near the end of the series finale, Goodbye, Farewell and Amen, when the radio announcer goes through statistics about the Korean War. AFAIK, the stats given in the show are accurate. Can't find the scene on Youtube unfortunately.
Thanks for the statistic. I had no idea the survival rate was that high. Those people were genuine heroes. The work they did under incredibly stressful situations is beyond admirable. And the nurses, just WOW! What an incredible effort they made to comfort those soldiers, all the while assisting doctors, cleaning bed pans, etc., sometimes with bombs dropping all around.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
Ryan
Veteran Member

2017-08-26, 22:07

So, Defenders?

I'm partway through episode 2.

edit:

Finished episode two. Glad to see the introductions getting out of the way.

Last edited by Ryan : 2017-08-26 at 22:36.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2017-08-26, 23:28

So, did Finn Jones become a better actor, or is his horrible acting just tolerable now that he's splitting screen time with three other main characters?
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2017-08-27, 19:52

This is still on my watch list. I hope to get through it in the near future!
Mac+
9" monochrome

2017-08-27, 23:25

I just binged on Ozark. Dark (I watched it alone) and compelling. Great performance from Jason Bateman - in fact, I thought the ensemble was superb.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2017-08-27, 23:46

Quote:
So, did Finn Jones become a better actor, or is his horrible acting just tolerable now that he's splitting screen time with three other main characters?
His character continues to disappoint.

I refuse to pin the "horribleness" entirely on the shoulders of the actor - the writers and showrunner are complicit in the much discussed disappointment of Iron Fist.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
addabox
Veteran Member

2017-08-31, 12:50

OTOH, having the other characters roll their eyes at his juvenile antics makes the character a good bit more palatable. Like, if the show knows he's a dick I can kind of roll with it.

"I'M THE IMMORTAL IRON FIST"
"Yeah, you keep telling everybody that every chance you get."

Still, allowing himself to be goaded into unleashing the iron fist on the magic door to the apocalypse THAT CAN ONLY BE BREACHED BY THE IRON FIST is some A+ dumbfuckery even for a nuclear grade ninny such as homeboy.

That which doesn't kill you weakens you slightly and makes you less able to cope until you're completely incapacitated
¡Damned!

2017-08-31, 13:09

Yeah, I like that he's constantly being called out as a child (emotionally). Even Colleen comments on it. Gives me hope for growth in the second Iron Fist series, though I think they're probably going to do a Cage/Fist combo next time, given their burgeoning friendship – and that the latter half of Cage and most of Fist were easily the weakest of the Marvel/Netflix efforts.

Plus Finn Jones needs to learn how to relax. Even emotionally stunted Danny Rand can't possibly be that uptight and pouty. Laugh once in a while ffs.

So it goes.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2017-08-31, 19:02

I just finished watching The Defenders and it was pretty good if you just take it for entertainment value. I don't read the comics and never have so can't really comment on how close it was or not. Danny really does play the innocent and childlike character well. That is how Netflix wrote him to be, not sure if that is comic like.

I'm really looking forward to the Punisher series though. That is one comic I have the #1 edition of and many after than before I stopped collecting. I really really have high hopes for this one.

Also, no more Daredevil? An interview done by Cox seemed to indicate that we won't have a season 3 on that one. There is no lack of material available for another one, guess we'll have to see.

Dr. Bobsky

2017-09-01, 02:30

? Daredevil 3 is already approved...
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2017-09-01, 03:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac+ View Post
I just binged on Ozark. Dark (I watched it alone) and compelling. Great performance from Jason Bateman - in fact, I thought the ensemble was superb.
Amazing show, especially after episode 5-6. Really enjoyed it and can't wait for season 2.

Also looking forward for Narcos season 3 which is released today.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2017-09-01, 13:20

OK, The Tick is just plain delightful. Sure it is nothing like the Marvel stuff on Netflix, but it sure does have fun poking sticks at all the Marvel/DC stuff out there. Only three hours long to watch all the episodes. Could be supercut even shorter.

curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2017-09-02, 06:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
OK, The Tick is just plain delightful. Sure it is nothing like the Marvel stuff on Netflix, but it sure does have fun poking sticks at all the Marvel/DC stuff out there. Only three hours long to watch all the episodes. Could be supercut even shorter.
How does it compare to the original live action version?

Patrick Warburton was hard to beat.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2017-09-02, 19:21

I never saw the live action version so I really can't compare them. I'll have to see if I can find it though since I enjoyed this season done by Amazon.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2017-09-26, 21:21

I have finished The Tick with Patrick staring in it and the new one is fairly similar. There aren't co-stars like Captain Liberty or Batmanuel, but still very funny.

Of course I followed that up with Ozark... that is one downer of a show. Even the good things the happen to the characters are masked by the tone of death and horror that is about to happen. Thanks 709.

That said I really enjoyed the show an am looking forward to the next season. Bateman was really great in this role.