User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » GamingNova »

Minecraft 1.7: New biomes and terrain! New flowers! New Trees! Oh my!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Minecraft 1.7: New biomes and terrain! New flowers! New Trees! Oh my!
Page 1 of 6 [1] 2 3 4 5  Next Last Thread Tools
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2013-07-31, 18:10

Interesting tweet from Jeb:
Quote:
I've also been fiddling around a lot with the biomes, so expect chunk edges to new areas in the next snapshot
So we might consider a prune if it's an option without causing too much disruption.

The "bright spot" though is this one that was right before it:
Quote:
Finally! Much fewer "black spots" in the terrain generator, such a relief =) i.imgur.com/dC6KCbm.jpg

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2013-07-31, 19:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
Interesting tweet from Jeb:

So we might consider a prune if it's an option without causing too much disruption.
This is mildly worrying. The picture shows a style of terrain we've never seen. So, this might mean wholly new biomes and terrain generation.

I'll do a test run locally when the update becomes available.

In the mean time, I would encourage everyone to stay roughly where you are now and don't go exploring/expanding to unused areas of the world.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
ThunderPoit
Making sawdust

2013-07-31, 19:58

nooo! too soon for a reboot! Dammit Mr Noodle, er, i mean, Jeb!
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2013-07-31, 20:01

I'm voting no for reboot no matter what the biome changes do.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2013-07-31, 20:18

Oh, I'm Sparc-a-tus.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2013-07-31, 23:04

We shall name the chunk barriers the Cliffs of Jeb.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2013-08-02, 00:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
I'll do a test run locally when the update becomes available.

In the mean time, I would encourage everyone to stay roughly where you are now and don't go exploring/expanding to unused areas of the world.
I've run some preliminary tests on our current world to get a feel for where the region boundaries are in case a trim is necessary. Here are some of my findings!

This is what region 0,0 looks like. Fortunately, it's squarely over the spawn area!

This is what the above area plus one region in each direction looks like. This encompasses everyone's homes with the one notable exception of the village to the far south-west.

Would you guys be OK with this being the trimmed world and having the (possible) Cliffs of Jeb surround this area?

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
¡Damned!

2013-08-02, 08:10

Hells yeah. If we can secure the current world for another point upgrade I'd feel a lot more comfortable starting on something somewhat big. I'm a little gun-shy as it is now. Plus, you know I'm always up for a pre-trim desert raping.

If stained glass actually happens in the next update it will be the squee heard round the MC 'verse.

Question about trimming: If you trim the overworld does the Nether get trimmed as well? Wondering if it'll leave the village Nether portal and we could just re-light it (not that the village would still be there, but it would be a quicker way to get to some newer areas of the map).

So it goes.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2013-08-02, 08:40

Ditto. If we're all safe right now then go for it!
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2013-08-02, 10:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
Plus, you know I'm always up for a pre-trim desert raping.
Pick a desert outside of the protected zone, and go nuts!

Quote:
If you trim the overworld does the Nether get trimmed as well?
Nope. The nether is stored in a different set of files. We could nuke the nether independently of the rest of the world if we wanted.

drewprops
Space Pirate

2013-08-02, 12:54

How much time do we have to harvest sand before you trim?

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2013-08-02, 14:28

Nobody knows when the 1.7 release will drop or if this change is really part of it. The supposed terrain changes haven't even made it into a weekly sneaky peek build yet. Maybe end of August? Next month?

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2013-08-28, 15:38

I've split these posts into a new thread from the 1.6 discussion since it's clear there are lots of 1.7 changes in the works.

Jeb just posted to the blog some juicy details:

https://mojang.com/2013/08/minecraft...erator-update/

Here's the most interesting part of the post:
Quote:
There have been three main problems we have wanted to address:
  • Too large oceans
  • Too uneven/random biome placement
  • Not enough variation

The solution to these problems have been,
  • Tweaks to add more islands and checks to avoid huge oceans
  • Biomes have been put into four main categories: snow-covered, cold, medium, and dry/warm. Biomes will avoid getting placed next to a biome that is too different to itself (sometimes this still happens, but it’s very rare now and not all over the place)
  • We’ve added a whole bunch of new biomes…
  • … and most biomes have uncommon/rare variations that you may run into
  • We’ve also added a bunch of new terrain features, such as new flowers and trees
Exciting!

drewprops
Space Pirate

2013-09-05, 09:56

Did it just drop?

https://mojang.com/2013/09/minecraft-snapshot-13w36a/

¡Damned!

2013-09-05, 11:43

No, just the latest snapshot.

This looks to be one of the biggest updates ever. Loads and loads of new stuff.

Exciting.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2013-09-05, 12:47

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2013-09-05, 12:47

Also, check out them screenshots:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Minecraft/co...apshot_13w36a/
¡Damned!

2013-09-06, 13:19

Another snapshot dropped today with some minor tweaks, so it looks like 1.7 is getting close...

Have we decided on whether we're wiping the Nether when we do the trim? I may knock a fortress wall down if so to grab some NetherBrick. Cooking NetherRack to make it is painfully slow. I guess a plus to wiping the Nether would be a regen of fortresses. They seem to be the best place to find horse armor in quantity.

So it goes.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2013-09-06, 14:08

Quote:
Another snapshot dropped today with some minor tweaks, so it looks like 1.7 is getting close...

Have we decided on whether we're wiping the Nether when we do the trim? I may knock a fortress wall down if so to grab some NetherBrick. Cooking NetherRack to make it is painfully slow. I guess a plus to wiping the Nether would be a regen of fortresses. They seem to be the best place to find horse armor in quantity.
Hmm... this seems reasonable! Gives me an opportunity to go on a quartz mining rampage this weekend. I've been skipping a lot of ore deposits so others could have access to them.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2013-09-07, 20:19

Boy oh boy. I took the latest snapshot for a spin tonight, and the updated terrain/biome generation is nice. Maybe it's just another honeymoon phase, but it feels a bit more like the pre-1.8beta generation, like it's less cookie-cutter predictable within a biome. The improved biome juxtaposition and transitions help the world feel more cohesive too.

In fact, it's really tempting to say, "Let's start anew again!", and it makes me want to test cross-world copy/pasting so I could transplant our existing homes into a truly new world.

Maybe. Maybe?

If we insist on staying in the current world, though, here's what the Cliffs of Jeb will look like if we stick to the area I posted earlier.

Southern border, new terrain on the left:

Southwest corner:

Northwest corner:

Northern border, new terrain on the left:

Northeast corner:

Southeast corner:

Bonus round! To the ESE, just outside the edge of our existing terrain, I found a candidate for Flaming Mountain v2.0:

Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2013-09-07, 21:37

I'd be fine with a reboot, but I haven't done much with this current world.
ThunderPoit
Making sawdust

2013-09-07, 23:10

If we can copy/paste, i want my rock formation to come with :P
drewprops
Space Pirate

2013-09-07, 23:26

I really love my place
SpecMode
Wait what

2013-09-08, 00:27

As usual, I haven't done so much with the current world that I'd miss it all that much if we had to bid it farewell. It would be nice if we could transport stuff over from past maps, though, if we took that route.
¡Damned!

2013-09-08, 00:49

I'm fine with the edges, honestly. I'd rather not do a whole new world and stick with the regen beyond the 9 quadrants mentioned above. Besides, I think the edges are kind've fun. Like, sailing to the end of the world and afraid to fall off the edge, but opposite. Could make for some neat builds too, especially on the NE corner. I could see a large dock there for boats and stairways going up the edges.

Also, that last pic is gorgeous. I'm super excited to put together some exploring parties to see what we have for new biomes.

So it goes.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2013-09-08, 13:45

We don't have to wipe the world. I'm just throwing it there as an option because we'll probably scatter out when 1.7 drops, and we'll lose any sense of a cohesive, central community area as a result. The old "town" will still be there, but who will stay around when there are interesting new areas to explore in the distance?

Keep in mind that the region we're keeping inside the Cliffs of Jeb is a whopping 1536x1536 blocks. Based on the timestamps in my screenshots, it took me about one full hour to circumnavigate the edges, and that includes using a horse and boats to move swiftly. So, people will likely spread out 1000+ blocks in different directions and rarely see each other, kind of like what happened when we last used the "large biomes" setting.

I could be wrong, though!

drewprops
Space Pirate

2013-09-08, 13:51

I hate the way everybody runs out to the edges and disappears.

Why they gotta do that?

(but I love the screenshots)

¡Damned!

2013-09-08, 14:06

Yeah, the spreading out is a problem, but I think we're going to have that problem even if we start the world anew, what with all the fancy new biomes and all.

Believe me, I'm tempted myself to start the world fresh, but I'd hate for the work (and loot gathering) we've done in the current world to be lost. Since we're running vanilla, would it be possible to do a world overlap for like a month or so? Just so people could move what they needed most to the new world? Also, what's the word on structure-moving?

1.8 looks like it could be a seed that lasts a while, so it would be nice to start up a fresh world, but it would be keen if we could move over some of the downtown and larger structures over to keep a home base going.

So it goes.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2013-09-08, 14:25

Quote:
Believe me, I'm tempted myself to start the world fresh, but I'd hate for the work (and loot gathering) we've done in the current world to be lost. Since we're running vanilla, would it be possible to do a world overlap for like a month or so? Just so people could move what they needed most to the new world? Also, what's the word on structure-moving?
The vanilla server doesn't offer any way to bring things (inventory, structures) from one world to another. I am, however, right now testing multiworld copy/warp operations with the latest version of the Bukkit server we're running. That's why I've not been on the server at all today.

I wouldn't insist on wiping the world if I wasn't sure that we could migrate some of our things over. The space needle, iJak's farm, the money bin, etc. won't be lost. I'm also testing copying over structures from *older* worlds as we'd discussed in that other thread.

¡Damned!

2013-09-08, 14:34

Ah, bukkit. That's right. That's what I was talking about with 'world overlap' and the /wwarp thing.

Question about iJak's farm: If you copy it over will the beasts come over as well?

Err, just thought of another thing... does our bank account get wiped as well? I hope we can move the mart over (hell, that whole strip). That thing is key.

So it goes.