Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

10.3.5 in the works

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
10.3.5 in the works
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2004-07-16, 16:16

All minor OS updates require their own thread, that's what I think. Apparently another decent sized update (around 40MB), with significant changes to Mail, Safari, Graphics, Audio and others...

http://www.thinksecret.com/news/macosx10352.html

I predict *places magic envelope just above his eyebrow*... a third build before July 30 and a release the second week in August.

...into the light of a dark black night.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-07-16, 17:16

Cool, another good update. They only get better, it seems.

That brings up a question: I always do my updates via the Software Update preference (as most everyone does), but does Apple generally make these updates available as a standalone thing?

In two weeks, I'm going to visit a friend temporarily stationed in New Orleans and she only has a dial-up account for her iBook this summer. If 10.3.5 came out before I left, I'd like to be able to download it, burn it to CD and take to her. That's totally possible with a standalone installer, right? Everything is in that file...just put it on her desktop, double-click it and proceed as usual?

Downloading a 40MB update via her dial-up...uh, no.

zwei

Send a message via AIM to zwei  
2004-07-16, 17:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogs
I predict *places magic envelope just above his eyebrow*... a third build before July 30 and a release the second week in August.
I predict we will see it before then!
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2004-07-16, 17:40

Paul,
If she hasn't upgraded beyond 10.3 than you'll need to bring the cumulative updates to her too. If she has 10.3.4 already than you can just download the 10.3.5 updater from apple.com/osx and bring that. It will work as a standalone installer.

Come waste your time with me
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-07-16, 18:31

Cool, thanks. Yeah, she's up to 10.3.4 (at her permanent residence, here in town, she's got DSL and stays on top of all the updates). She's just in "dial-up land" for the next couple of months, living in officer quarters at a naval base.

Ryan
Veteran Member

2004-07-16, 18:56

Hmm, networking improvments. Any chance this means FTP in the Finder that actually works?
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2004-07-16, 19:06

Paul, I'd suggest still downloading the 10.3.5 Combo Updater, even if she already has 10.3.4. That way, if she has to reinstall her OS for any reason, she can immediately upgrade to 10.3.5 without having to download 10.3.4 first.
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2004-07-16, 20:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca
Paul, I'd suggest still downloading the 10.3.5 Combo Updater, even if she already has 10.3.4. That way, if she has to reinstall her OS for any reason, she can immediately upgrade to 10.3.5 without having to download 10.3.4 first.
Luca is correct. Also, Combo Updaters have been known to cure strange symptoms that pop up after an update. Personally, I always use the Combo updater, even when it's just a point upgrade and I don't really "need" the Combo version.
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2004-07-16, 21:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubeDude
Hmm, networking improvments. Any chance this means FTP in the Finder that actually works?

No, no chance at all.

What do you think Apple is doing? Trying to make a working and functional finder?

That'll be the day
Ryan
Veteran Member

2004-07-16, 23:11

Good point.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2004-07-17, 13:10

Put me down as another man in favor of combo updaters... especially when taking the show to other people's computers, where you're not really sure what's been done to it / updated so far, etc. They're usually available about two or three days after the initial release if memory serves.

...into the light of a dark black night.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2004-07-29, 09:37

In case anyone missed it....

http://www.thinksecret.com/news/macosx10353.html
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2004-07-29, 09:38

Gotta release an OS update for the new iMac.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2004-07-29, 09:49

This one better fix that damn iChat bug. Not that I use iChat anymore (go Adium!).
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-07-29, 09:52

Holy crap, I just realized we're only a month away from the new iMac.

August is gonna be LOOOOOONG...

Apple should release some teasers, in the form of close-up, abstract photos of portions of the new iMac. A port here, a plain expanse of white or aluminum there, the corner of a screen, etc.

Not enough to actually give anything away, BUT enough to make it clear something new and different is indeed coming. It could only help, and increase buzz and anticipation.

I wish they would...

It would be a HUGE hit and Mac heads would love it and the press would probably pick up on it too. Hell, I don't see anything else coming in August, and that new iPod on the baby blue background has already overstayed its welcome and has officially attained "yeah, so what...I've seen it already" status.

Apple should have a weekly new front page on their site, throughout August, with a close-up "mystery pic" and a cool, catchy tagline leading up to the September (I assume Paris Expo) unveiling.

Surely that boring-ass iPod image/splash isn't going to sit there for another whole month.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2004-07-29 at 09:57.
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2004-07-29, 10:13

Quote:
This one better fix that damn iChat bug. Not that I use iChat anymore (go Adium!).
I don't think that Apple recognizes it as a bug. Unless someone tells them about it, and I don't think that enough people would that Apple would do anything about it. Seems like an easy enough fix that could be repaired with an incremental update like a 2.1.1, or just a new build number.

Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2004-07-29, 10:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0
Apple should have a weekly new front page on their site, throughout August, with a close-up "mystery pic" and a cool, catchy tagline leading up to the September (I assume Paris Expo) unveiling.
I'm telling you, if you havent read Apple Design by Paul Kunkel, you're missing out. There is a cool set of "pre release pictures" in the book, that are disguised by sort of heat-color imaging and close ups on the designs. Apple made them available for the book apparently, and one of them is now obviously the PowerBook G3.

Apple should do something like that, but for www.apple.com.

"We are reviewing some 9,000 recent UNHCR referrals from Syria. We are receiving roughly a thousand new ones each month, and we expect admissions from Syria to surge in 2015 and beyond." - Anne C. Richard, Assistant Secretary, Bureau of Population, Refugees, and Migration
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2004-07-29, 12:27

Quote:
Okay...wow, how come nobody told me Adium rules so much? Y'all suck

Seriously, awesome app. It'll take some getting used to after using iChat for so long, but I think I like it a lot more than iChat.

Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2004-08-05, 09:22

Sounds like a pretty decent update... improved video drivers, 3rd party application support, updated Mail and Image Capture apps (new features?).

http://www.thinksecret.com/news/1035server.html
onlyafterdark
Sucker for shiny objects

Send a message via AIM to onlyafterdark  
2004-08-06, 19:07

Another version of OSX got seeded to developers today labeled build 7M32. Hopefully we will see this update in the next few weeks.
Barto
Student extraordinaire

2004-08-06, 20:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMBand0026
Okay...wow, how come nobody told me Adium rules so much? Y'all suck

Seriously, awesome app. It'll take some getting used to after using iChat for so long, but I think I like it a lot more than iChat.
Nobody has told you because while Adium X has been around for a while, it has taken a while for it to support enough IM features for it to be useable

The sky was deep black; Jesus still loved me. I started down the alley, wailing in a ragged bass.