User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Amy Winehouse: scary, but not dead yet! Edit: found dead 2011-07-23.

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Amy Winehouse: scary, but not dead yet! Edit: found dead 2011-07-23.
Page 13 of 13 First Previous 9 10 11 12 [13]  Thread Tools
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2011-07-26, 15:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by murbot View Post
Oh my god, YES.

It's interesting how someone can argue so vehemently, without the slightest inclination how everyone else here reading the discussion sees them.

I know I'm making an assumption saying it's "everyone", but come on, everyone knows I'm right.

I see he ignored the Chuck Berry comment. Probably wondering what the hell the host of Love Connection has to do with the music industry.

ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2011-07-26, 15:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by murbot View Post
Oh my god, YES.

It's interesting how someone can argue so vehemently, without the slightest inclination how everyone else here reading the discussion sees them.

I know I'm making an assumption saying it's "everyone", but come on, everyone knows I'm right.

I see he ignored the Chuck Berry comment. Probably wondering what the hell the host of Love Connection has to do with the music industry.
Bringing up Chuck Berry was a red herring, that's why I ignored it. If you think I don't know who Chuck Berry is, you might not know that I lived in St. Louis for a while, and saw Berry perform numerous times at Blueberry Hill which was about a mile away from Wash. U. where I did my PhD. mkay?

Gosh, I almost feel like a hipster dufus after having had to whip out my dick on that one. Excuse me, so I can go take a shower and wipe off the elitist-ness.

ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2011-07-26, 15:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezkcdude View Post
Sure, but let's be real here. Winehouse started the bandwagon, she didn't jump on it.
This was the original argument. Does anyone besides BU actually think Winehouse didn't start the "retro soul" bandwagon?

Quote:
If it didn't have commercial success before her, then it wasn't a bandwagon. I didn't say she started the genre. Two different things.
Yes. Anybody disagree with this besides BU?

Quote:

And btw, Back to Black came out in October 2006 in the UK. So you might want to reconsider that timeline you gave above.
Again, Back to Black came out well before Sharon Jones "hit" with her #6 album in 2010.

Quote:
I'm sure nobody is as talented and influential as *some* people make them out to be. For example, you're making Sharon Jones (who I have never heard of) out to be extremely talented and influential. It's not clear to me that she is, but that's your opinion. All I know is that when I hear ladies like Adele and Duffy and whatever new chantreuse of the week being compared to Amy Winehouse, I assume Winehouse was influential (and maybe even talented). I didn't know who Sharon Jones was, probably because she's not as influential and is not being referenced as much.
This is essentially the same point that addabox made.

Quote:
I haven't heard of him and that's a strawman. We're discussing influence on a particular genre, not the whole of music. Is his influence on the "retro-soul bandwagon" greater than that of Amy Winehouse? Well, considering he died in 1938, I think that's unlikely, yes.
As I said, BU veered off the path with this one.

Quote:
You'd think with Amy Winehouse becoming a household name that Sharon Jones would've lept into fame herself. This raises the question how much of a bandwagon could there have been if the very artist you are claiming started it, didn't even benefit from it, once others supposedly jumped onto it?
Anybody besides BU actually thinks that Sharon Jones started the "retro soul" bandwagon?

Brave Ulysses
BANNED

2011-07-26, 15:42

holy shit, you're dense.

ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2011-07-26, 15:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Ulysses View Post
holy shit, you're dense.
Snappy comeback? I guess that's all you got now.

Brave Ulysses
BANNED

2011-07-26, 15:47

Yup. Definitely. You've embarrassed yourself better than I could have ever come close to doing.

Carry on.

ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2011-07-26, 15:48

This is the problem with hipsters. Any conversation eventually turns into a pissing contest about who knows more. I'm glad you have all that knowledge. I just listen to the music.

Brave Ulysses
BANNED

2011-07-26, 15:50

Quote:
This is the problem with hipsters. Any conversation eventually turns into a pissing contest about who knows more. I'm glad you have all that knowledge. I just listen to the music.
apparently only Amy Winehouse.

ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2011-07-26, 15:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Ulysses View Post
Yup. Definitely. You've embarrassed yourself better than I could have ever come close to doing.

Carry on.
Sorry, was this part of your "argument"?

tomoe
Veteran Member

2011-07-26, 15:58

I miss entertaining threads like these. Many an actual LOL has been delivered.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2011-07-26, 18:30

I wish BU and ezkcdude would just go ahead and kiss and get it over with. This is worse than any of the tension or build-up from Moonlighting or The X Files.

She's dead before her time, just like everyone thought she'd be. That's the only real point/reason for this silly thread...

ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2011-07-26, 20:23

I think scrat and I had much more memorable battles.

addabox
Veteran Member

2011-07-26, 20:38

no, sorry

Last edited by addabox : 2011-07-26 at 20:56.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2011-07-26, 20:48

ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2011-07-26, 20:56

addabox, I'm pretty sure BU was replying to me.

But, hey, I should have gone with that as my response.

addabox
Veteran Member

2011-07-26, 20:57

Sorry, sorry for anyone that saw that. I've got some heavy shit going on in my life right now and I'm badly stressed. I apologize for my childish outburst.

That which doesn't kill you weakens you slightly and makes you less able to cope until you're completely incapacitated

Ryan
Veteran Member

2011-07-26, 21:04

Wow, I hadn't looked in this thread for a day or two. Not sure I'm glad I did.

¡Damned!

2011-07-26, 21:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post
Sorry, sorry for anyone that saw that. I've got some heavy shit going on in my life right now and I'm badly stressed. I apologize for my childish outburst.

I consider 95% of the active users here to be above average intelligence, so any "childish outbursts" are probably far more entertaining and well thought out than the smartest comment you'll ever read on the likes of other similar sites.

So it goes.

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-07-26, 22:50

Aww, now I want to see addabox's post, especially since he's always right about everything in every other thread.

That's what I get for having a life.

Oh, and ezkcdude, calling people who disagree with you "hipsters" is like the lamest argument ever. It's a way of dismissing their opinions without actually addressing them, and it punishes them for being "too" knowledgeable. It's also so three years ago, everybody knows that.

BU has never seemed very hip to me. His Hipster Quotient is 0. He's an ass in many other ways, mind, but hipsterosity is not one of them.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong

Brave Ulysses
BANNED

2011-07-26, 23:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
Oh, and ezkcdude, calling people who disagree with you "hipsters" is like the lamest argument ever. It's a way of dismissing their opinions without actually addressing them, and it punishes them for being "too" knowledgeable. It's also so three years ago, everybody knows that.

BU has never seemed very hip to me. His Hipster Quotient is 0. He's an ass in many other ways, mind, but hipsterosity is not one of them.
Seriously... as if the rest of his dribble wasn't weak and misinformed enough, he had to go and repeatedly dismiss me as a hipster.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-07-26, 23:09

A musician is dead and now this thread is dead because of you clowns bickering about the definition of "talent" and "hipster". Congratulations, guys.