Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

Hoping to avoid getting scammed by an eBayer

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Hoping to avoid getting scammed by an eBayer
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2004-10-16, 20:01

Normally you don't have to worry too much if you're a seller on eBay, right? Well, I just got this in response to my PowerMac which is up for sale:

Quote:
I am extremely interested in your computer but don't do paypal
anymore. I could have a cashiers check to you by Tuesday morning if
you'd agree to that. I'm located in NH (03844) and would need the
computer by Thursday. I'd pay the shipping. Please hit me up when you
get this. Thanks, Dave Giuca
Seems just a tad fishy to me. While I'd be fine with a cashier's check (I just said Paypal-only to keep out the riffraff), I'm concerned that I won't have enough time to ensure that it clears. He says he can get me one by Tuesday morning, and he'd need the computer by Thursday. That's a really narrow timeframe to work with, and I don't think I'd have enough time to confirm that everything went through by the time I send out the computer. I could always deposit it on Tuesday, then wait until Wednesday to ship it out and just charge him an arm and a leg for shipping (since it truly costs an arm and a leg to ship big items overnight), but I'm still concerned.

Should I be? I am not sure exactly how big of an opportunity there is for fraud with a cashier's check. Once I deposit it, am I in the clear? Or could it get yanked out from under me a day or two later?

EDIT: I'm stupid... I just looked it up and apparently cashier's checks are paid for up-front so I'd be guaranteed the money as long as I have the check.

Last edited by Luca : 2004-10-16 at 20:12.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2004-10-16, 22:19

It's simple; until the check is in your hand and cleared, don't ship the computer. If he's not willing to do that then you both will have to find other parties to buy / sell from.

I would request a money order from the Post Office in your name as well, don't just go for a generic cashiers check from God knows where.

...into the light of a dark black night.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2004-10-17, 01:04

agree with moogs on this one. always make sure the money clears before you send it off.

fact is there's a dozen other buyers willing to pay that price, or something within $50. that's a small price to (maybe) pay on a $1,000 purchase.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
Phil

2004-10-17, 01:12

I have heard of counterfeit and stolen cashier's checks. A good rule of thumb is to have the $ in hand before shipment. An honest customer will understand your concerns. It's not fair for your potential customer to transfer their timing problem to you. All you should be expected to do is ship it without delay after payment - no guilt trip necessary.
LoCash
Rest In Peace

2004-10-17, 01:16

Also keep in mind... the funds can clear your account in a couple of days... but the bank could discover the cashier's check is a fake a couple of weeks later, and they take the money back out and spank you with a fee I'm sure....

It is with great regret that we say our farewells to Jack, who passed away on May 28th, 2005. Jack, you will be missed by all

Superior thinking has always overwhelmed superior force. - Marine Corps Officers

"You don't lead by hitting people over the head-that's assault, not leadership." - General Eisenhower
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2004-10-17, 01:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil
I have heard of counterfeit and stolen cashier's checks. A good rule of thumb is to have the $ in hand before shipment.
Yes, this is a widespread problem. I'm wondering if you couldn't call the bank whose name is on the check, and give them the check number and get verification before you even try to deposit it in your own bank.

Wire transfers and Western Union are more reliable methods of immediate payment.
murbot
Hoonigan

2004-10-17, 09:34

Tell him you can't guarantee that the computer will ship to meet his deadline. That's too damn fast. What if something comes up, and you can't hit the bank for a day?

Tell him that with the number of counterfeit cashier's checks out there, you'll be very careful about verifying it with your bank, etc, and it might not be until the following week that the computer ships out. If he doens't like that, he can pay with PayPal. If he still doesn't like it, he can shove it up his ass.

You're the seller, you get to say what goes.
ast3r3x
25 chars of wasted space.

Send a message via AIM to ast3r3x  
2004-10-17, 10:14

Post office money orders are the way to go my friend.

Edit: Does anyone else think this is just murbot under a different name messing with Luca?
gannoc

2004-10-28, 15:22

It is a very common scam to request fast/immediate shipping. Basically, he'll be happy to pay for next day air with a fake cashier's check.
madmaxmedia

2004-10-28, 16:05

I'm sure the deal is either done or undone by now, but Bidpay.com (a Western Union service) is the next best thing to Paypal.

Actually, for sellers it's better than Paypal since you don't pay any service charge, the buyer pays for the service.

You can pay via credit card or checking account, there's absolutely no reason why anyone would not be able to use it. You get email notifications from Bidpay.com when the payment is approved (a few hours for credit card), so you know for sure when you can ship.

I agree, the buyer does sound fishy.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2004-10-28, 17:17

Yeah, this idiot (and all the other idiots who emailed me trying to negotiate the price lower than the starting bid) got the shaft in the last five minutes of the auction. Someone bid on it and I promptly received a $940 Paypal transfer. Boo-yah. FedEx says the package is delivered now.
Prince GFono

2004-11-07, 14:27

Send him a P-P-P-Powerbook!
_Ω_
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to _Ω_  
2004-11-07, 15:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince GFono
Send him a P-P-P-Powerbook!
The good thing about them is that you can get them in many colours!!!
redhatmatt

Send a message via AIM to redhatmatt  
2004-12-09, 14:14

This Dave Giuca guy is BAAAAAAD news... #$%^ ripped me off, Wanted Apple Loops package for 35 bucks - won - Sent payment - he cashed immediately, now
it's two months, he replied once to my badgering calls and emails I sent 8 times a day, that he was returning a check on Nov 20th -"Express." Nada. No answer to anything for emails at least 3 times a day after waiting over a week. Now it's December 9th, after taking all steps with Ebay (whom doesn't do much at all) I left a very angry message on this lazy jerk's and or crook's phone. He responds with "It's on the way." Funny I don't believe him + at this point (or the whole time) I don't even want and or care about the 35.00... I want some real payback and some real punishment, I wasted so much time just not to be punked. Anyone wants to know more, help me with info or background on this guy... or just spread the word email me let me know... I don't hide from the world like this guy- Not once in three months has this guy ever answered the phone regardless from what number I call from. Fix Dave Giuca red wagon... he's a disgrace to all of us.

Yeah I know it's 35.00 but it's the principle- I have never been punked on Ebay before... this guy ruins it.

Anything you want to communicate on this subject Email me,

Matt Young
wtf

2004-12-10, 12:52

I don't know how I was trying to scam you Luca. I wanted to buy your computer for a project I was working on and was under a time constraint.

I'm not even going to respond to redhattmatt's words.
redhatmatt

2004-12-10, 13:09

I'm not sure if this guy is the same Dave that just replied, but the Dave I am referring to is in Portland Oregon... I wrote the previous entry based on the fact that I was getting no response out of the guy for waaaaaay too long... I never got a reason out of this guy why I never got what I ordered... and just finally got notification for the SECOND TIME that THE CHECK IS IN THE MAIL, REALLY THIS TIME. (I'm referring to my money sent back to me three months late.. without letting me know what was going on.) I still have yet to get a check... so I cannot believe it til I see it. He did write back yesterday with a very short email just to set things straight and that's good.

My idea to get some response out of him was to google his name and tell my story anywhere I could find anyone he has communicated with and comes up on a search engine... I mean my large amount of phone calls emails to his three addresses, and filing formal complaints to ebay and the FTC weren't doing much... the next step was Portland Oregon Law Enforcement.

So I welcome any replies, all this Dave Giuca had to do to prevent problems was to give me status of the deal... everything was shady in the process... When I get my money back I will post that I did. What I'd really like is a real apology and a real explanation of why he felt it was OK to screw me over (whether or not he really intended to... he did and that's what counts to me.)
redhatmatt

2004-12-10, 13:15

Of course this Dave Giuca could be a different guy but I've seen the SAME guy witheast coast addresses as well, including NH! His ebay name is wonderboy... (I wonder, wonder wonder why???! ((music follows)) His company name is Quantumprojects... quantumprojects.com

So if this is not the same Dave Giuca and there ARE NOT that many in searches, I figured one Dave Giuca might notice, might know the other one, maybe be as angry, if not more angry than me and put in his two cents at the "criminal dave" himself...

So I am sorry if this affected the wrong Dave, but we live in a public world... don't we?
redhatmatt

2004-12-20, 15:48

Ok - he's now been banned by Ebay... at the end he pulled several more scams that look like the same scam. His actual ebay name was quantumprojects... I have been contacted by others about this guy... I may now have enough inspiration to start a forum of my own just about ebay scammers... hmm... now I need a good name, so people can check out people before buying... ebaytrueprofiles.com? I dunno...
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2004-12-20, 15:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhatmatt
Ok - he's now been banned by Ebay... at the end he pulled several more scams that look like the same scam. His actual ebay name was quantumprojects... I have been contacted by others about this guy... I may now have enough inspiration to start a forum of my own just about ebay scammers... hmm... now I need a good name, so people can check out people before buying... ebaytrueprofiles.com? I dunno...
How about the "am i hot or not, ebay scammer edition"?

Or, "eBay punks, f**k off!"

Maybe "ebaytrueuserfeedback.com"?

ebayscammeralerts.com?
redhatmatt

2004-12-20, 16:04

Those will be good header titles for the pages, and ebaytrueuserfeedback.com is actually a great name... I'm hoping for something short, but if it's just not doable then that one will do. Thanks for responding, looks like my friend Dave was trying to rack up some quick money before Christmas!

PS. I don't think your link works: http://dtibs.home.comcast.net/ just letting you know.