Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

Victory! (iPhone and Campus email)

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Victory! (iPhone and Campus email)
MBHockey
skates=grafs

2009-05-05, 18:21

Last year I worked down at the US Patent & Trademark Office and decided to go back to school to become a doctor. So this year I have been enrolled in a post-bac program at a local SUNY school taking a few remaining classes that weren't covered in my mechanical engineering curriculum. To my surprise I was unable to get my campus email working on my iPhone. This was last summer.

So I contacted the IT help desk, and I was given a really unhelpful reply, basically saying they don't support the iPhone; only Outlook and Webmail will work. They also sent me a couple of cryptic Outlook-centric PDF files to show me how entrenched they were in MS Land. I remarked that it seems iPhones and iPod Touches would be quite popular on a college campus, and maybe they should look into it, but they said they planned on only supporting Outlook and Webmail for the foreseeable future.

So all year I've had my school email forwarded to my Gmail account just so I would know when new emails came in. A really graceless solution, because then I'd have to log in to my Webmail account from my iPhone and respond to messages.

Out of curiosity, I just searched the technical services site for the school about setting up email. The first result (ranked by popularity, no less) was how to set up the college email on your iPhone or iPod Touch, replete with step by step screen shots!

Now, once finals are over I think I will craft a nice thank you letter to the IT people

Resistance is futile!
Ryan
Veteran Member

2009-05-05, 20:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBHockey View Post
Last year I worked down at the US Patent & Trademark Office and decided to go back to school to become a doctor. So this year I have been enrolled in a post-bac program at a local SUNY school taking a few remaining classes that weren't covered in my mechanical engineering curriculum. To my surprise I was unable to get my campus email working on my iPhone. This was last summer.

So I contacted the IT help desk, and I was given a really unhelpful reply, basically saying they don't support the iPhone; only Outlook and Webmail will work. They also sent me a couple of cryptic Outlook-centric PDF files to show me how entrenched they were in MS Land. I remarked that it seems iPhones and iPod Touches would be quite popular on a college campus, and maybe they should look into it, but they said they planned on only supporting Outlook and Webmail for the foreseeable future.

So all year I've had my school email forwarded to my Gmail account just so I would know when new emails came in. A really graceless solution, because then I'd have to log in to my Webmail account from my iPhone and respond to messages.

Out of curiosity, I just searched the technical services site for the school about setting up email. The first result (ranked by popularity, no less) was how to set up the college email on your iPhone or iPod Touch, replete with step by step screen shots!

Now, once finals are over I think I will craft a nice thank you letter to the IT people

Resistance is futile!
Working for the IT department at my school I get a lot of calls about setting up email on the iPod Touch/iPhone and Mail.app. Requests exploded this year so my boss had me put together a PDF explaining the procedure for both using screenshots. They created a Mac section on the department's website with explanations on how to access campus email, fileservers, printers, etc. from a Mac, just like the Windows section.

The higher-ups also found out that so many students were fed up with our Exchange-based email—and its 40mb limit—that rather than fight a) the students or b) Exchange, they're switching us all over to a Gmail solution this summer.
Bill M

2009-05-05, 22:58

Cool stuff MBHockey, I wish I was that lucky. I need native IBM Lotus Notes Email support on the iPhone (not the web thingie IBM put out last year). Hopefully 3.0 will bring this... any other fellow applenovians on my same boat?