Password
AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

PB RAM Buying Advice needed

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
PB RAM Buying Advice needed
Page 2 of 2 Previous 1 [2]  Thread Tools
danm

2005-02-24, 19:27

I've had my Kingmax for over a week and no problems whatsoever. My system is a 12" rev D SD PB and I bought the RAM from Newegg.
tricki

2005-02-25, 02:16

thanks danm for thr info.......i amm nnow looking at buying a Corsair Ram for my 12" PB cos the sales pple were really helpful and offered me a good price on the 1Gb ram. but haven't seen much reports on the compatibility of the corsair ram on the PBs...anyone would like to share experiences?
Wrao
Yarp

2005-02-25, 04:01

I got the cheap kingmax newegg memory, and it fucked up my computer.

I sent it back, took about a week to get a replacement(but since I was out of town for most of that time, it felt like less) and so far the replacement works perfectly.
superditka

2005-03-11, 09:56

Hello... I'm not a big tech guy so I apologize in advance if I sound like moron by asking this but...

I'm a brand new apple convert and I just bought the upgraded 12" PB (my first mac) about 1.5 months ago. I would like to upgrade my memory and it sounds like people are having success with this www.newegg.com place BUT... how the heck do I know which memory will work with my PB? I think I want to go with the 1GB but I went to the site and I have no clue about which memory will work and which won't.

HELP!
danm

2005-03-11, 16:33

Well Wrao had problems with it, but my Kingmax 1GB is still causing no problems and certainly increases system performance. Follow the link in my previous post, it's the one you want and it's about $30.00 cheaper now than when I purchased mine a month ago!
tricki

2005-03-12, 10:45

hello guys ....thanks for all the help u guys have been giving...really appreciate all the help....Well i finally upgraded my new PB 12" too and to my surpirse when the technician opened my PB to insert the new CRUCIAL piece.....we found that apple uses the same brand too.....its Micron....our questions are all answered...apple uses micron cos my new PB came with 2 pieces of 256 and the piece i took out was a micron one.....
Wrao
Yarp

2005-03-12, 12:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by danm
Well Wrao had problems with it, but my Kingmax 1GB is still causing no problems and certainly increases system performance. Follow the link in my previous post, it's the one you want and it's about $30.00 cheaper now than when I purchased mine a month ago!
That's the gamble with cheap RAM. It's not inherently worse than more pricey RAM, it's just more likely to be bogus. The Second DIMM I got from NewEgg works fine, until I unplug my computer, then all the same symptoms occur. Fancy that eh? Well I'll return it again, and get another replacement, hopefully 3rd time is the charm. At least NewEgg has a great replacement service.
MCQ
Veteran Member

Send a message via MSN to MCQ  
2005-03-12, 12:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrao
That's the gamble with cheap RAM. It's not inherently worse than more pricey RAM, it's just more likely to be bogus. The Second DIMM I got from NewEgg works fine, until I unplug my computer, then all the same symptoms occur. Fancy that eh? Well I'll return it again, and get another replacement, hopefully 3rd time is the charm. At least NewEgg has a great replacement service.
Yep - that sucks, but at least you're dealing with Newegg so the swaps shouldn't be too bad.

Kind of makes me shy away from getting that stick - seems like the latest fad at MacNN is some Samsung ram from eWiz... reports slowly coming in on that.

Decisions, decisions - since RAM prices are dropping I'm thinking of jumping in soon.

Based on Anandtech's Mac memory article, and PDP's memory module configurator, I think I may end up jumping in on this one:
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduc...220-111&DEPA=0

Since their configurator recommends this on the PB's - somehow I think PDP just slapped on a special sticker for their article, since the configurator lists no similar part nos.

Last edited by MCQ : 2005-03-12 at 12:55.