User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » GamingNova »

What video games are you playing right now?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
What video games are you playing right now?
Page 3 of 77 Previous 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7  Next Last Thread Tools
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2008-12-01, 16:35

Well, I have a WoW account and own Lich King, but between work, baby, holidays etc. I don't think I've played in a few weeks. Maybe tonight.
Bonn89

2008-12-01, 17:38

1. Rock Band 2. An absolute given, though.
2. Halo 3. My favorite online game.
3. The Orange Box. Just picked it up on Black Friday; I finished Portal and I'm working through the 3 Half-Life 2 episodes.

In all honesty, I play Rock Band 2 and Halo pretty much every day.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2008-12-01, 17:42

More people need to buy Mirror's Edge. New. Support new IP. It's on sale at Target this week for $44. Totally worth it. I can't stop thinking about playing it. And it's not just because I have a thing for Asian chicks.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2008-12-01, 17:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
More people need to buy Mirror's Edge. New. Support new IP. It's on sale at Target this week for $44. Totally worth it. I can't stop thinking about playing it. And it's not just because I have a thing for Asian chicks.
360 or PS3?

You know what? I have never played Guitar Hero or Rock Band or any of those games. I dunno why, but as a real guitar player, I find those games insulting. Just a personal vendetta.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
adamb
Formerly “adambrennan”

2008-12-01, 17:46

I have finally got around to playing COD2. I bought it back when it was first out but never played it. Same with Farcry and the original Splinter Cell.

I need to somehow increase the size of my bootcamp partition though as its filling up with games
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2008-12-01, 17:48

I'm the goddamned Batman!

Lego Batman/Wii FTW.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2008-12-01, 17:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
I'm the goddamned Batman!

Lego Batman/Wii FTW.
How is that? My buddy got it from GameFly for 360.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2008-12-01, 17:59

Cuter than hell. I really enjoy the gameplay more than the PS2 Lego Star Wars - the use of the motion control is natural and doesn't feel tacked on. (I understand the Wii Lego Star Wars uses the motion even better for light saber attacks and such.) The stories are cute, and being able to play both sides of each conflict is neat - you get to see the hero save the day, and *then* see how the villain set it all up. Nice touch. Uses the music from the Burton Batman flicks, so there's a little Elfman along the way.
Swox
OK Mr. Sunshine!

2008-12-01, 19:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yontsey View Post
You know what? I have never played Guitar Hero or Rock Band or any of those games. I dunno why, but as a real guitar player, I find those games insulting. Just a personal vendetta.
I get forced to a couple of times a year by friends. I have the same problem - I could actually play all the songs, so why fake playing them? They go on about "it's not faking playing songs, it's something different", but I can't get into it. I mean, I can rock it out with a real guitar! Why waste my time getting good at playing fake guitar when I could be getting better at real guitar?

The drumming is kind of like real drumming in Rock Band, so that makes some sense, but the guitar playing is nothing like actually playing, so it's a waste of time IMO. I know people love it, I'm not here to start an argument. Believe me, I've heard from my friend's plenty about what a fool I am, how I don't "get it", etc.

Do not be oppressed by the forces of ignorance and delusion! But rise up now with resolve and courage! Entranced by ignorance, from beginningless time until now, You have had more than enough time to sleep. So do not slumber any longer, but strive after virtue with body, speech, and mind!
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2008-12-01, 19:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yontsey View Post
360 or PS3?

360 because of the achievements. I hear the controls are better on the PS3 (per joystiq's podcast - which is really good, BTW) but in either case, they're both on sale this week.

Kick, are you saying that Lego Batman on the Wii is actually a 3rd party Wii game worth buying? I haven't played a 3rd party game on my Wii in, ummm, ever. It just sits in my cabinet doing nothing but staring at me, making me feel guilty for not playing it. It's just so damned cute.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2008-12-01, 19:59

Good 3rd party Wii games:

No More Heroes
Zack and Wiki
Resident Evil 4
Okami
Boom Blox
Lego anything
Williams Pinball
World of Goo
nikstar101
Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to nikstar101  
2008-12-02, 09:19

I just bought Little Big planet and that is amazing. The narration by Stephen Fry just makes the game so adorable (thats not a phrase that i would usually use for a game). I haven't really played the game online. I have played a few levels but i have joined in with people playing a level.

I have also just got Tomb Raider Underworld. Which is my first Tomb Raider game. Its got a good background, but the in game camera is awful. Making jumps impossible making the game just annoying (such as the camrea being 3 inch from the back of Lara's head, my that is useful).
Certified Mail Receipt
lol banned

2008-12-04, 13:20

Redline Racing and Call of Duty 2.

I sold the rest of my games a couple months ago. The multi-player of Call of Duty 2 was too good to let go of, and Redline Racing is shareware, so I couldn't really sell it.
Certified Mail Receipt
lol banned

2008-12-04, 14:45

Redline Racing and Call of Duty 2.
rampancy

2008-12-04, 18:39

I've gone all retro:

Heretic
Hexen
Hexen II

You can play both Heretic and Hexen natively as a Universal Binary through the Doomsday Engine, an open-source frontend for the jHexen/jHeretic/jDoom ports, which allow for all sorts of nifty OpenGL-related coolness.

It's amazing how good Heretic looks with replacement hi-res textures and 3D models; simplistic level geometry and bright color palette aside, you'd mistake it more for an early Quake engine game than the Doom engine-based game it really is.

I also picked up Hexen II after learning about a Universal Binary source port by way of the Hammer of Thyrion project. Very cool.

"The things that will destroy us are: politics without principle; pleasure without conscience; wealth without work; knowledge without character business without morality; science without humanity; and worship without sacrifice."
- Mahatma Gandhi
Argento
I puked at work.
Because I'm a pussy.

2008-12-04, 21:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcimedes View Post
Well, I have a WoW account and own Lich King, but between work, baby, holidays etc. I don't think I've played in a few weeks. Maybe tonight.
GOOD!
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2008-12-04, 23:54

Just put a bumper order in for all the latest PS3 titles, so we are all stocked up for Christmas.. Although I can't see myself even tearing the shrink wrap off of most of them as I am still too busy on Fallout 3!

My wife is negotiating with me for a time slot to play Prince of Persia, or Tomb Raider... Mwuuuhaaahaaahaaa. Good luck I say!

And we haven't even considered how Resistance 2 or LBP fits into the next few weeks... Let alone the Playstation Home Beta, Batman etc. etc.. Ahh, good times!

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt
BlueRabbit
Veteran Member

2008-12-05, 00:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by St Bonney View Post
3. The Orange Box. Just picked it up on Black Friday; I finished Portal and I'm working through the 3 Half-Life 2 episodes.
Me too! Portal was a lot of fun.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2008-12-05, 00:39

Note: I moved the posts about "Auditorium" to the YAAFGT (yet another addictive flash game thread)
scratt
Veteran Member

2008-12-05, 00:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRabbit View Post
Me too! Portal was a lot of fun.
I have "paused" Orange Box while I play Fallout 3. But the whole package is awesome. I am looking forward to getting into Team Fortress at some point, but still have 1 and a half Half Life episodes to do!

Spoiler (click to toggle):

Not really a game spoiler, but might spoil the movie Eagle Eye for some people...

If you like Portal, you really should watch the movie Eagle Eye, just for laughs. We watched it last night and if you are familiar with Portal you cannot help but see the similarities between that and the computer in Eagle Eye. In actual fact my wife and I couldn't take it seriously because of that!

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2008-12-07, 03:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca View Post
World of Goo
World of Goo!!!

I'm loving this game right now. I just bought it earlier tonight and I can't put it down. Is it already nearly 4 AM? Pshaw.

How do I love thee? Let me count the ways…
  • Great humor as the story is told by "signs".
  • Wonderful physics.
  • Adorable characters.
  • Beautiful graphics.
  • Soothing, yet invigorating music.
  • Cute sound effects that never get annoying.
  • Easy to learn, but difficult to master.
It's got everything just right.

If you own a Wii, this has to be the best $15 you can spend on it.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Unch

2008-12-07, 06:22

Quote:
More people need to buy Mirror's Edge. New. Support new IP. It's on sale at Target this week for $44. Totally worth it. I can't stop thinking about playing it.
I had a quick go on the PS3 demo tutorial the other week. At first I thought it was a bit of a mess, but once you 'get' it, it's suddenly a lot of fun. I left wanting to play it again.

Quote:
Kick, are you saying that Lego Batman on the Wii is actually a 3rd party Wii game worth buying? I haven't played a 3rd party game on my Wii in, ummm, ever. It just sits in my cabinet doing nothing but staring at me, making me feel guilty for not playing it. It's just so damned cute.
There are decent enough 3rd party Wii games as has already been pointed out, it's just that they tend to get buried under 'My Little Pony Grooming Simulator' and 'Super-fun Waggle Party Deluxe'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikstar101 View Post
I just bought Little Big planet and that is amazing. The narration by Stephen Fry just makes the game so adorable (thats not a phrase that i would usually use for a game). I haven't really played the game online. I have played a few levels but i have joined in with people playing a level.

I have also just got Tomb Raider Underworld. Which is my first Tomb Raider game. Its got a good background, but the in game camera is awful. Making jumps impossible making the game just annoying (such as the camrea being 3 inch from the back of Lara's head, my that is useful).
The dodgy camera is part of the Tomb Raider Tradition. Just be thankful that it's easy to adjust these days.

How are you finding the controls in LBP? I found them to be a little bit off, which considering how tight the rest of the game is is a little disappointment. Then again, it isn't helped by the god-awful Playstation controller (Why Sony? Why?)

Personally, my main gaming has consisted of:

Tomb Raider Anniversary on Wii - OK enough PS2 port with a couple of bugs that have been mildly irritating.
New Super Mario Bros on DS - Trying to get all the Star Coins now
Commander Keen (Goodbye Galaxy Episode) - Simply the best thing Id ever did. C'mon Carmack, stop being a dick and let Tom Hall make a new one.
The Secret of Monkey Island on SCUMMVM - A game with soul, something severely lacking in the current market.

"It's like a new pair of underwear. At first it's constrictive, but after a while it becomes a part of you."
scratt
Veteran Member

2008-12-18, 22:27

I guess I have been spoiled by Fallout 3. I am finding most PS3 games frustrating these days.. In fact most games on most formats are frustratingly linear and predictable with lots of doors and things you can't interact with. Grr.

LBP is hilarious. I have never laughed so much, or had so much stress free fun playing with my wife.. err.. Well you get what I mean! However, I do agree that the control system, particularly lining up with different 'depths' on the platforms is fscking frustrating at times.

Lara Croft is embarrassing. It's my wife's game and she loves the puzzles and all the LC games.. But they should be ashamed of launching a game that can crash so often and is so cheaply and badly put together. Fighting has always been pants but this latest version takes it to a new level, combat is like fighting a room full of drunken people with guns - you being the most inebriated! And the levels are so linear. And what gives with doors and areas on maps that don't open, or unintuitive things like only being able to climb one particular crate in a map (the only way to progress in the level), but none of the other identical ones.. Very very bad.

Resistance 2.. Ugh. I skipped Resistance after playing the demo, but the buzz for Resistance 2, and my needs for a new core online shooting game made me buy it. It's terribly linear. Has lots of frustrating 'gotcha' kills. AI is retarded, and your CCP friends seem to be invisible to enemies. I really don't see how this is the GoW for the PS3. It's not. GoW is frustrating and also linear, but Resistance 2 is from the dark ages of gaming in single player mode. Having said that.. Some of the levels look nice, and the music / sound effects really do make levels suspenseful - which is weirdly frustrating when a little voice at the back of your head is saying.. "Why are you playing this?". Online is a hoot though, seriously, and it's worth getting it just for that. It reminds me of UT3 a lot, which I also love.

torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2008-12-18, 22:35

Playing Braid right now. I'm on the last level and it's freakin' hard. I know what I'm supposed to do but my timing is just a little teensy bit off. But this game is hard because it's supposed to be. I've never played a game with such tight controls. Everything does exactly what it's supposed to when its supposed to.

Pricey for a downloadable title, but worth it because it's so well-made. It's a brilliant game.
Dovek916

2008-12-19, 00:44

CoD 5:World at War- It is basically like cod 4, but ww2, and better game play
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2008-12-19, 00:51

The CoD games are some of my favorite games of all time but they're usually too short. I feel CoD 5: WaW falls into this.

My favorite was CoD 4. It felt longer then the other games typically and was something different for the series. Matter a fact, I may beat it again this weekend.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
tomoe
Veteran Member

2008-12-19, 00:53

I've been enjoying Valkyria Chronicles.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2008-12-19, 01:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dovek916 View Post
and better game play
That's quite a bold statement, care to explain?
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2008-12-19, 09:15

Well I just got my new Windows machine, so I've been back to Guild Wars! Started up FFXI's trial with 3 of my friends from home who play it religiously. I also ordered Oblivion for myself, so that will be this weekend

"A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel my anger!" - Darth Baras
twitter ; amateur photographer ; fanfiction writer ; roleplayer and worldbuilder
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2008-12-19, 10:15

Civ 4 is good for curling up with while the weather is wintry.