AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

What's the future for the MBA?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
What's the future for the MBA?
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
Satchmo
can't read sarcasm.

2010-04-20, 21:13

With the MBP's out the way, what do you think is in store for the MBA? It's 310 days since it's last update and I'm guessing WWDC might be a good place to announce an update.

I can't see a new design, it's pretty sweet as is.
It could use another USB port, and the current 5hrs battery life could use a boost. Maybe use the same GPU as the 13" MBP.

Or will Apple discontinue it, in favour of the iPad? I mean the MBA never was a powerhouse. Anyone wanting to do light email and surfing will now opt to go iPad. Anyone needing more for content creation, will opt for the more capable and economical MB or 13" MBP.
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2010-04-20, 21:21

That's an interesting thought, the MBA has suddenly become less relevant and harder for people to justify spending the money on. It's too slow, costs too much, and has a 13" screen just like the MacBook and MacBook Pro. If you don't want the heft of the notebooks, there's the iPad. I don't see Apple killing the MBA, but I don't really know where they take it from here.

Come waste your time with me
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2010-04-20, 21:21

That's kinda what I'm thinking. You nailed my thoughts exactly. It's too pricey for what it does, and anyone who is serious about anything genuinely viewed as "heavy lifting" is going to get a 13" or 15" MacBook Pro.

I don't know why anyone would drop $1,499-1,799 when they could get an iPad for $1,000 less, or any number of more powerful, capable Mac notebooks (with 13" displays) starting at $999.

Does "style" and thinness count for that much? I can't imagine...

For some, I suppose.

The above is no slam to the product (it's gorgeous), or to anyone who bought/has one. But it is an odd-duck machine at this point - more than ever before! - and occupying a very slim space and pretty much, IMO, having only one thing going for it (looks/style).

Maybe if it cost $999 and was positioned as a more stylish, lightweight (but less powerful) alternative to the white plastic MacBook?

I don't know. But there's no way in hell I could spend that kind of money for something so modestly-spec'd/equipped. Especially with the iPad now on the scene, and the updated MacBook Pros. Hell, even the $999 white MacBook (or the $849 refurb version) would get my money before a MacBook Air ever would.

I'm not that hung-up on style/design that I'm going to be a chucklehead with my hard-earned money!

I don't know what Apple has in store for it. But knowing Apple, and considering a few other "WTF?!" products they've had, past and present, I can see them just keeping the damn thing around, same price and all...just because.

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2010-04-20, 21:33

My thought is that, to Apple, the iPad fulfills the role that the MBA was playing. I think it's likely to be toast.

(And, let's be honest, a 13" MBP is small enough to meet the "proper laptop, but small" criteria.)
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2010-04-20, 21:38

It's not just the style, it's the weight. The iPad can't do everything, and it's not usable as an only computer. I do think the MBA would do a lot better at $1,199, with an SSD in the $1,499 model.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
Satchmo
can't read sarcasm.

2010-04-20, 21:48

The few targeted users I see, could be writers, and CEO's.

Writers/journalists want a physical keyboard. You don't want to type away on an iPad for hours, and while you can have a wireless keyboard, it's not as convenient.

CEO's want to travel lightly, but still comfortably type emails. I suppose they could do this on an iPad, but the MBA may be perceived as more professional?

Yeah, I'm stetching. It's become a very niche product. The only price point I could see is to have it exactly the same price as the 13" MBP. That way, it doesn't tread into iPad territory. Yes, the MBP is more capable, but I suppose Apple can have you decide what's important to you...style vs. features.
AsLan^
Not a tame lion...

2010-04-20, 22:02

I would say the MBA probably appeals to the same kinds of people who buy the VAIO X series or the higher end Thinkpad X series.

Considering that Sony and Lenovo have been making these laptops for a pretty long time I would say there's definitely a market for them.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2010-04-20, 22:08

The MBA and 17" MBP are sort of the outlier MBs, on opposite extremes. I'd bet the 13" MBA sells better than the 17" MBP...
Miko
Veteran Member

2010-04-20, 22:13

Some really great points here. My 0.02, the MBA has always held the odd duck spot outside of it's record setting design the MacBook has always been a better buy the only thing that's changed now is the speed gap. if Apple doesn't bump up the specs as others hinted to and give it an all glass trackpad I think it's on it's way out.

I've also noticed most people I see with them are females so maybe it still has an appeal to them for the slim design and all, but then again it was never expected to be a huge money maker for Apple.
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2010-04-20, 22:29

Well, I was going to say the future is bright even despite the down economy. Then I realized you weren't discussing a business degree.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2010-04-20, 22:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satchmo View Post
I can't see a new design, it's pretty sweet as is.
If it was 9% thinner (0.09-0.69")it would be the thinnest laptop in the world (by average thickness) again. But that doesn't really matter. I'd rather it get A) the glass trackpad, and B) lighter.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
Frank777
Veteran Member

2010-04-20, 23:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezkcdude View Post
Well, I was going to say the future is bright even despite the down economy. Then I realized you weren't discussing a business degree.

Once an iPad case that carries Apple's Bluetooth Keyboard is available, there will be no problem with dispensing with the MBA.

The MBA was only useful to travelling salespeople anyway, and Mac OS X doesn't yet have a real ACT or Goldmine competitor.
The online CRMs are just as accessible on the iPad.
zsummers
Avast!

2010-04-21, 01:40

Thanks for starting the thread, Satchmo. I've been thinking about starting one since the new MBPs dropped. I keep waiting and waiting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
(And, let's be honest, a 13" MBP is small enough to meet the "proper laptop, but small" criteria.)
For my wants (not needs), no way. Precisely for the reason Robo identified: 1.5 pounds. That's the difference between the MBA and Apple's next lightest computer (the 13' MBP, followed by the 4.8 pound MB). It may not seem significant, but for certain people, it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman View Post
It's not just the style, it's the weight. The iPad can't do everything, and it's not usable as an only computer. I do think the MBA would do a lot better at $1,199, with an SSD in the $1,499 model.
Robo, I often think we share a brain. Or, more accurately stated, I'd be proud to share a brain with you almost any day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satchmo View Post
The few targeted users I see, could be writers, and CEO's.

...CEO's want to travel lightly, but still comfortably type emails. I suppose they could do this on an iPad, but the MBA may be perceived as more professional?
I think this is mostly right. But don't underestimate lawyers. Excess cash, always a need to travel light, write and edit tons, and with a decently featured machine. Most of the people I know who have one are lawyers (myself included... though I just have serious gadget lust for the MBA... I don't yet own one).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

Once an iPad case that carries Apple's Bluetooth Keyboard is available, there will be no problem with dispensing with the MBA.

The MBA was only useful to travelling salespeople anyway, and Mac OS X doesn't yet have a real ACT or Goldmine competitor.
The online CRMs are just as accessible on the iPad.
I have to disagree. Until the iPad rivals the MBA for content creation (it won't ever, I don't think), it's just short of perfect for writers, CEOs, and lawyers. The MBA truly is a lawyers dream machine as it exists--I just refuse to pay the premium.

Now, if Apple would have designed a touch interface for the iPad that mimics the multi-tasking, content-creating environment of my current computer, can run Final Draft, and can also let me RDP full-on with access to software like LiveNote, Concordance, etc., we're talking.

But they won't and they didn't. For good reason (I also have lust for the iPad... but will wait).

So please, please Apple, make me spend my money. I have been waiting since a month after this last refresh... and well over three years since I bought my MBP.

My wish-list:
  • one more USB
  • 128 SSD standard.
  • smaller bezel.
  • let's lose .2 to .5 pounds.

I will wake up tomorrow and hope they just drop a quiet refresh... and the next day... and the day after that....

"How could you falter / when you're the Rock of Gibralter? / I had to get off the boat so I could walk on water. / This ain't no tall order. / This is nothing to me. / Difficult takes a day. / Impossible takes a week."
JohnnyTheA

2010-04-21, 01:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezkcdude View Post
Hehe.. I thought the same thing... I was going to say: "It depends on the school you go to..."
zsummers
Avast!

2010-04-21, 02:36

I left out one thing for my wishlist (one very critical thing):

4 GB RAM. Just the option. I'll pay, Apple, I will. But I always try to future proof.

"How could you falter / when you're the Rock of Gibralter? / I had to get off the boat so I could walk on water. / This ain't no tall order. / This is nothing to me. / Difficult takes a day. / Impossible takes a week."
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2010-04-21, 04:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by zsummers View Post
I left out one thing for my wishlist (one very critical thing):

4 GB RAM. Just the option. I'll pay, Apple, I will. But I always try to future proof.
This, though hopefully it will be standard. The MBA needs 4GB standard even more than the MBP, since it doesn't have the option of super-fast processors instead.
zsummers
Avast!

2010-04-21, 13:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman View Post
This, though hopefully it will be standard. The MBA needs 4GB standard even more than the MBP, since it doesn't have the option of super-fast processors instead.
Agreed. It's the one reason I haven't bought an MBA over the course of the year. Can anyone speak to the likelihood of that working? Is there some limitation with the MBA's build that just doesn't make it possible?

If I can get a 128 SSD, 4GB, and a decent processor/GPU combo for $1500 or so, I'll snatch it up. I realize it's more likely I'll get it for $1600 or $1700... but there's always the refurbs.

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2010-04-21, 13:36

Just so people know, I don't disagree about the merits of the MBA - it's just that I think Apple doesn't share your opinion.
zsummers
Avast!

2010-04-21, 13:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
Just so people know, I don't disagree about the merits of the MBA - it's just that I think Apple doesn't share your opinion.
I gathered that from your post. I'm crossing my fingers to hope you're wrong, but I'm afraid you're not. If they can keep the darn Apple TV around as a "hobby"...

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2010-04-21, 19:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by zsummers View Post
I gathered that from your post. I'm crossing my fingers to hope you're wrong, but I'm afraid you're not. If they can keep the darn Apple TV around as a "hobby"...
If they can keep the 17" MBP, they can keep the MBA. Are we even sure, beyond anecdotal evidence, that it isn't selling? I think it outsells the Mac mini in Europe.

Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2010-04-22, 07:53

I don't think the Mac Mini suffers any less popularity in Europe, it's just that they sit at home so you don't notice them as much as the MBA out in the wild.

Given the space constraints on the MBA, do you guys think it would be plausible to see an MBA with an i5/i3 CPU using Intel's IGP? That would essentially bring the MBA down to being a single major chip plus south bridge. Out course the graphics would suffer, but if the true target audience for the MBA is authors, lawyers and CEOs it might not matter all that much.

Off topic: Speaking of what you see in public, I don't seem to spy all that many white Mac Books any more. Maybe the price difference between the MB and the entry level 13" MBP is so narrow that people just go for the MBP.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2010-04-22, 08:24

Or they're just buying the new aluminum MacBooks.

I don't see many white Apple lappys out very often. Most people have upgraded to the aluminum versions by now.

Edit: Did I miss something? Does Apple not make the MacBook in aluminum anymore? I haven't really been paying attention, but that's what it looks like.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2010-04-22, 08:26

Yes, but these days all new alu Mac Books are Pros.

Edit:
Yes, you missed it.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2010-04-22, 08:33

haha. Haven't been paying attention to the notebook lines recently, as you can tell.

Definitely saw it, just forgot I guess.
dmegatool
Custom User Title

2010-04-22, 08:41

There's no reason to buy a MB. The MPB is only 200$ more and you get a lot more for your money. In the canadian store it's even worse. The difference is 150$...

Dave Mustaine :"God created whammy bars for people who don't know how to solo."
Matsu
Veteran Member

2010-04-24, 21:49

I think this is the laptop for writers, readers and travelers. So, look for whatever improves those functions, and whatever underlying technology gets it there doesn't really matter. I say, single model, SSD only with a price drop to the 1499 level. Same size and weight more or less, but double the battery life, at least, and an upgraded track pad.

Actually, now that I think about it a tad, I say two new models. One as described above, and a second with built-in 3G wireless, for the travelers among us.

That's it for the realistic predictions. No for a little unrealism - why doesn't Apple have a weather proof laptop yet? I've taken pictures in heavy rain with my camera and it looks to have quite a few more seams, gaskets, doors and such than the MBA. A little redesign and a gasket around the screen, hinge, and track-pad could do it, an SSD would keep it relatively shock proof, and voila... The notebook for those on safari. They don't have to make it much smaller as far as I'm concerned, but as long as we're thinking in the traveler extreme vein, the longer it runs without needing a charge, the better. Any weight savings in other parts of the design should go to a bigger battery, no question about it...

MBA, the thinnest, lightest, longest battery life, shock proof, water proof, take it anywhere you roam, laptop. Starbucks and posh hotel lobbies would be filled with them, or Sir Richard Branson would buy them all for his yacht.

zsummers
Avast!

2010-04-24, 23:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matsu View Post
I think this is the laptop for writers, readers and travelers. So, look for whatever improves those functions, and whatever underlying technology gets it there doesn't really matter. I say, single model, SSD only with a price drop to the 1499 level. Same size and weight more or less, but double the battery life, at least, and an upgraded track pad.

Actually, now that I think about it a tad, I say two new models. One as described above, and a second with built-in 3G wireless, for the travelers among us.

That's it for the realistic predictions. Now for a little unrealism - why doesn't Apple have a weather proof laptop yet? I've taken pictures in heavy rain with my camera and it looks to have quite a few more seams, gaskets, doors and such than the MBA. A little redesign and a gasket around the screen, hinge, and track-pad could do it, an SSD would keep it relatively shock proof, and voila... The notebook for those on safari. They don't have to make it much smaller as far as I'm concerned, but as long as we're thinking in the traveler extreme vein, the longer it runs without needing a charge, the better. Any weight savings in other parts of the design should go to a bigger battery, no question about it...

MBA, the thinnest, lightest, longest battery life, shock proof, water proof, take it anywhere you roam, laptop. Starbucks and posh hotel lobbies would be filled with them, or Sir Richard Branson would buy them all for his yacht.
Love it. Like you say: unrealistic. But I love it.

And I think the 3G idea is one that is probably going to come to pass. If we're going to see 3G in the lineup, the MBA is a prime candidate. "How do you make the world's most portable laptop even more portable. Just add 3G."

Frank777
Veteran Member

2010-04-25, 00:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matsu View Post
I think this is the laptop for writers, readers and travelers.
I'm a writer (in my spare time), and I don't see the case for the MBA anymore.

Truly ultraportable people now have the iPad and the iPhone with Bluetooth keyboard. The 4.5-pound 13" MacBook Pro is far more useful and expandable than the 3.0-pound MacBook Air. The size and weight difference is negligible. The MBA once had the status thing going for it, but the 13" looks just as good in a CEO's office.

I say kill off the MBA and use the engineering staff on something really revolutionary.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2010-04-25, 00:14

One more thing. If the sub-four-pound weight is really all that desirable, they could just make a 13" option sans the CD drive.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2010-04-25, 14:19

The optical is probably only worth a couple of ounces, it's the design around it that contributed to weight-gain/weight-loss.

I'd go for the 13" MB/MBP over the air myself, just on the basis of it being a better all-around machine.

However, if they are going to keep it around, then it's a good chance to do something special with it. The iPad doesn't replace the Air IMHO because the Air is unlike most subnotes, which the iPad could probably replace with the right software updates. This is really just about haptics/ergonomics: most sub-notes have borderline useless keyboards, pointing devices, and screens. Those three things are all very good on the Air, and don't need to reconfiguration or updating - it's what makes it more productive.

Because the machine is near the smallest productive size for a notebook, I don't see it shrinking much around the external dimensions. It could get a trim here and there, but that's all.

The iPad isn't anywhere near as comfortable for sitting in a chair and typing (on your lap) and of course if you need a traditional app, or windows emulation for work, or that sort of stuff, it won't help. But then again, you could just get a MacBook, as we agree we would both probably do, and have the benefit of better performance and a cheaper price.

As with all things, there's room for a MB Air product between tablets and notebooks, but it all depends on utility and price.