AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Favorite sports teams you hate to love

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Favorite sports teams you hate to love
Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2005-12-01, 11:14

Now that another college football season is starting to wind down, and watching Syracuse post an unprecedented 1-10 (0-7) record, I am curious as to other teams (and sports) that people have an undying loyalty to even in the worst of times (Fair weather fans need not apply )

Here's a basic list of mine (3 professional sports and 2 college)
  • Syracuse Orange Football: Basically you've already seen the dismal record for this year. There are also the 1997 Fiesta and 1998 Orange Bowls to add to the misery. And lastly, the previous coaching staff failing to capitalize on recruiting after the McNabb era.
  • Syracuse Orange Basketball: While it has been a good run the last few years, can't forget the stumbles in the 87 and 96 NCAA championship games. Nor the recent idiocies against Vermont and Bucknell.
  • Buffalo Bills: After four years of Superbowl misery and losing season after losing season, need I even explain.
  • Ottawa Senators: Their credo- "Dominate the regular season, and consistently self-destruct in the playoffs (especially against the Leafs )
  • Minnesota Twins- They haven't been the same since losing Kirby Puckett, and seem content to be the Yankee's b*tch in th playoffs year after year.

Formerly known as cynical_rock
censeo tentatio victum
There is no snooze button on a cat.
kretara
Cynical Old Bastard

Send a message via AIM to kretara Send a message via Yahoo to kretara  
2005-12-01, 12:30

New England Revolution -- No matter how good they are they can't see to win the MLS Cup.

Dutch National Team -- what will it take for them to qualify for a world cup? and with all their talent why haven't they won at least 2?

Ajax (Holland) -- The first football (ok, soccer to those of you who think American 'football' has anything to do with a foot touching a ball) club that I "fell" for back in the late 80's.

USMNT (United States Men's National Team) -- Currently ranked in the top 10 in the world. Its about time we get some respect.
ShadowOfGed
Travels via TARDIS

2005-12-01, 12:40

Virginia Tech - Go there, love it, love the teams, but why oh why did we have to completely throw that game against Miami this year?
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2005-12-01, 13:11

Chicago Cubs - No world series championship in almost 100 years. 'Nuff said.

Chicago Bears - No Super Bowl in 20 years. They're looking good this year, but I'm not sure they have the offense to make it anywhere in the playoffs. Their defense has taken them places, but that will only do so much against a high powered offense.

Chicago Blackhawks - This team has been ruined of late by everyone's favorite Chicagoin (especially mine and Moogs' )

I'm pretty much diehard when it comes to those teams. Cubs are head and shoulders above the other two because I'm a baseball guy at heart, however, I cheer for, agonize over, and armchair coach each one. The one thing missing from Chicago is awesome sports teams (don't even talk to me about the Sox...it's not worth it), and I hope that changes soon.

Come waste your time with me
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-12-01, 14:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMBand0026
The one thing missing from Chicago is awesome sports teams (don't even talk to me about the Sox...it's not worth it), and I hope that changes soon.
Dude your city's team won the world series. I bet if the Cubs won you'd start saying how you hate the Cubs and how you need a real sports team.

Are you a foul weather friend or something?
eventhorizon

2005-12-01, 14:16

I battled through the Chargers 1-15 season and head coaching carousel and damn is it good to be a fan now.
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2005-12-01, 14:21

I just dislike the Sox, quite a bit. There's a long standing animosity that I have toward the Sox, stemming mostly from family history, but some from the fact that every Sox fan that I know acted like a total jerk a few years ago when the Cubs went to the playoffs and subsequently collapsed. So this year I kept my mouth shut, I tried not to speak or wish any ill on the Sox, I just didn't cheer for them. In spite of my attempted neutrality, I had the "Cubs suck and Sox rule" thing thrown in my face by many people...even though I never did or said anything to provoke it. Even a few years ago when the Cubs were winning, I never went out of my way to claim the Sox were horrible...etc.

Sox fans made it seem like this was just another in a long streak of Sox world series wins. Clearly, that is not the case. I'm all for friendly and healthy competition, but when you live and die by your sports team, you've taken it too far. When you go out of your way to be a huge jerk to people, you've taken it too far. I will continue to wish no ill on the white sox, but I will not support them, I will not give them my money, I will not cheer for them.

Edit: It has always been this way. I've never been a Sox fan, never will be. I'm a life-long Cub fan and the recent Sox world series win did not affect my feelings toward either team. I'm as big a Cub fan as ever and as non-caring about the Sox as ever.

Come waste your time with me
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2005-12-01, 14:27

Though I stopped watching about five years ago because I just couldn't stomach how retarded the fans were anymore, I can lay claim to watching the Braves fall short 9 out of 10 years in the playoffs. And not make the playoffs at all many more years than that. Dale Murphy and Phil Niekro were the men!

Also a fan of the Dutch National Soccer Team. Cheered for Greg Norman to win the Masters many times until he became a wine and fashion douche instead of a pro golfer.

...into the light of a dark black night.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-12-01, 14:30

Okay, thanks for explaining DMB!

I love the Twins myself. Some may say I'm a fair weather friend for really only paying attention to them when they're doing well, but it's really just because I'm not much of a sports fan in general. I like baseball the most out of the popular sports, and when I hear that the Twins are doing well some year I'll try to catch up on their progress every week or two. They've gotten really close several times in the last few years but they can never survive the playoffs. I really wanna see another Twins world series soon! I remember the 1991 series and how exciting that was, but it was kind of a flash in the pan.

As for other Minnesota sports teams... well, I don't follow basketball at all; in fact, I don't even know when the basketball season is. Same with hockey (though I assume the hockey season is during the winter...?). I do know when the football season is because no one can just shut their big yappers about football, but as you can tell I'm not a fan. I actually hope the Vikings do poorly this year because of that stupid shit they did before the season began, and because I think if they do poorly they won't be as likely to get their own publicly (read: me) funded stadium. Aaaaand... checking the standings, they're 6-5. That doesn't seem too good.

My favorite sports are ones that I just can't watch at all over here. Well, kinda, but only if I get some ridiculous $100/month TV service. I like motorsport but I dislike most American forms. NASCAR and so on. No fun at all. Rally racing is really freakin' awesome though, and touring car racing is pretty fun too. I'd love it if I could easily watch the 24 Hours Of Le Mans, the WRC, or the DTM. But I can't. Americans have to have their NASCAR. Just a big left turn.

Last edited by Luca : 2005-12-01 at 14:36.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2005-12-01, 14:32

Seattle Seahawks

After growing up in the Zorn/Largent era (ah, The Great Bobbler) to see them repeatedly shoot themselves in the foot became too painful to watch.
Foj
Veteran Member

2005-12-01, 14:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogs
watching the Braves fall short 9 out of 10 years in the playoffs.
as much as i love watching the Braves, i find it amazing how they can own the division for so long and still fall so hard in the playoffs.

A knife and a fork, a bottle and a cork, that's the way to spell New York.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2005-12-01, 14:36

any god damn team from cleveland....many of us here cry ourselves to sleep at night just thinking about our teams
Stone Of Love
Veteran Member

Location: Detroit City is the place to be...maddog town gonna set you free
Send a message via AIM to Stone Of Love  
2005-12-01, 14:53

Detroit Tigers.

My first team, and still my favorite team.

I'll go down with the ship everytime!!

Quit rooting for the Lions YEARS ago. No hope there at all.

Different Strokes, for Different Folks.
And So On and So On, and Skoobie Doobie Doobie.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2005-12-01, 14:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foj
as much as i love watching the Braves, i find it amazing how they can own the division for so long and still fall so hard in the playoffs.

Native American curse... the only team they could beat was the Indians, who have a more powerful curse of their own, given the twisted nature of Chief Wahoo.

Those fuckers ^ are never winning anything again. Ever.

Wyatt
Veteran Member

2005-12-01, 15:06

Almost all of my favorite teams suck ass right now. For example:

- Chicago Cubs--Why the hell do I like them? I don't even know. All I know is that Wrigley Field is magical, and it's my dream to go to a World Series game there.
- St. Louis Blues--The worst team in hockey right now. After the lockout, we just rolled over and died.
- Green Bay Packers--Can you imagine how hard it is to live in Indy right now and not be a Colts fan? I try to hide on Sundays...
- Indiana Pacers--Should be one of the best teams in the NBA, but we dropped a game by 32 to the fucking Bobcats recently.
- Indiana University Soccer--Anybody who saw the NCAA tournament game against Notre Dame was ashamed to be a Hoosier fan that night. I'm still pissed I drove the hour (and then some) to go to that game. Team was good enough to win the title, but nobody played like they wanted it last week.

Twitter: bwyatt | Xbox: @playsbadly | Instagram: @bw317
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2005-12-01, 16:25

Packers: Not that I get to see many games televised in Toledo, but fewer still in Alma (by Mt. Pleasant in Michigan). Injuries hurt a TON this year, and even if they'd been successful and made the playoffs, they still seem to have this curse against Philadelphia. Hell, every pro team I cheer for does. Toronto can't beat the Flyers in the playoffs, either.

Michigan football: Can we get rid of Carr now? He was useful against Ohio State in the Cooper era, but outside of that has to be among the worst in college football. Way too conservative to dream of winning another national championship, let alone a Rose Bowl. I'm amazed they didn't fall to Northern Illinois at the start of the season, or Iowa, MSU, Penn State, etc. Not allowing Henne to use his potential. 1-4 against Tressel doesn't cut it, Lloyd.
Foj
Veteran Member

2005-12-01, 17:56

Quote:
Chief Wahoo.
we had Chief Nocahoma

Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2005-12-01, 19:38

oh, NICE find! I can't tell you how many times I stood next to that thing as a kid in Fulton County Stadium. But sadly Chief Nacahoma gave way to 90s marketing crap and the tomahawk chop (sounds more like a stadium full of hephers with indigestion most of the time). The chop is where the curse came into play. Chief is all class and dignity compared to Cleveland's disgrace. I mean common, how can the people of Cleveland even live with that thing? It's a travesty. I'm not even Native American and I want to blugeon the person who penned it with an anvil. Definitely their curse is worse.

Official Native American Sports Curse Hierarchy

1. Cleveland Indians
2. Washington Redskins (putting spears on your helmet for a year doesn't cut it!)
3. Atlanta Braves
4. FSU Semen-holes
5. University of Illinois (which has a very respectable / non - stereotyping mascot but the word "fighting" in their name, which pisses them off)

Last edited by Moogs : 2005-12-01 at 19:46.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-12-01, 19:47

Moogs, you totally forgot the University of North Dakota Fighting Sioux! Apparently UND has a very good hockey team, but the NCAA is saying that as long as they keep the "Fighting Sioux" name and mascot on public display, they won't let any national playoffs take place there. Or something like that; like I said, I don't follow sports. I did go to UND when I was surveying colleges and I kind of liked it, but it was a bit too cold and remote for my tastes (and I've lived in Minnesota all my life).

Oooh, I just found a story about the Fighting Sioux controversy!

http://www.undnews.com/chronicle.html

So some guy pledged $100 million to UND to build a world-class stadium, but was adamant that they keep the Fighting Sioux name. He threatened to withdraw the money when the school balked at it. And now I guess the controversy has been re-ignited.

The article claims that this guy also held parties on Hitler's birthday. Nice guy
Foj
Veteran Member

2005-12-01, 19:53

Quote:
oh, NICE find!
thanks. i actually found another one.

and believe or not, there was actually a song dedicated to him
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2005-12-01, 20:06

Man... that brings back memories I gotta say...
Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2005-12-03, 01:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynical_rock
  • Syracuse Orange Basketball: While it has been a good run the last few years, can't forget the stumbles in the 87 and 96 NCAA championship games. Nor the recent idiocies against Vermont and Bucknell.
Just related news: Jim Boeheim was picked to be an assistant for Coach K for the US Men's Basketball team. Look out world. The US is back....

And oh yeah... needing overtime to beat Manhattan... Come on guys...

Formerly known as cynical_rock
censeo tentatio victum
There is no snooze button on a cat.