Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

.mac users?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
.mac users?
Sargasm

Send a message via AIM to Sargasm  
2006-06-26, 20:39

My friends and I started a computer repair business, capitalizing off Windows users. Thing is, we want to make a website that lists all our prices. None of us have any html skills whatsoever, so I want the thing to be as streamlined and as easy as possible. I hear .mac is really good for this.

Can anyone with an account and a .mac site tell me how much, how easy, etc, it all is to make a quick informational website? Any and all info is appreciated.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-06-26, 21:00

.Mac is basically just web hosting and e-mail. Nothing fancy. It's not really any better than any other solution besides the fact that Apple needlessly restricts certain features in its applications to .Mac. If you want to create a decent web page, you'll still need an HTML editor. Apple sells iWeb as part of iLife, but it's not that great either.

Frankly, I wouldn't waste your money on .Mac. For about the same cost, you could buy your own domain name and host it with a much less restrictive company like DreamHost. If you don't want to learn HTML, there are several low-cost WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get) applications: Nvu, RapidWeaver, Sandvox, Freeway...

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Sargasm

Send a message via AIM to Sargasm  
2006-06-26, 21:11

Hmm. Are these programs user-friendly? Keep in mind none of us are at all good with html at all whatsoever.

Are these available at an Apple store?
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-06-26, 21:16

Click the links and see for yourself.

Nvu is free. RapidWeaver, Sandvox, and Freeway all have free trial downloadable trial versions with limitations until you register. I doubt they'd be available in a physical store, but I can't say for certain.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Dye243

2006-06-28, 18:01

Well .mac is just the first step to the webpage, you will also need a mac with iLife 06 that has the Program iWeb. From there it is simple, it will walk you through all the steps.
maccrazy

2006-06-28, 20:42

You would probably be better to get regular web hosting rather than .Mac as you won't have to worry about setting up domain masking, it will provide better value if you aren't going to use the other features included with .Mac and regular hosting will allow you to grow better in the future.

iWeb or RapidWeaver are probably a good place to start. I noticed there is a thread here explaining how to use iWeb with a non .Mac hosting account.