User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Saddam Hussein sentenced to death

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Saddam Hussein sentenced to death
turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

Send a message via ICQ to turbulentfurball Send a message via AIM to turbulentfurball Send a message via MSN to turbulentfurball  
2006-11-05, 04:16

BBC Linky

I guess we all saw this coming.

Quote:
Death penalty for Saddam Hussein

Former Iraqi President Saddam Hussein has been convicted of crimes against humanity by a Baghdad court and sentenced to death by hanging.
I'm not sure this is the right course of action. While I obviously agree that he is a merciless murdering asshole, the death sentence will only serve to flare up more problems in Iraq. The last thing that's needed is for him to become a martyr.

Barto
Student extraordinaire

2006-11-05, 04:23

The soldiers should have shot him when they found him in the hole. That would have been better than the farcical trial.

scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2006-11-05, 04:38

Just another mistake in a timeline peppered with them...

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-11-05, 04:41

Killing him will totally bring back everyone he's killed, right?

I don't want to turn this into the oh-so-inevitable debate, but capital punishment just doesn't seem right to me. Even for Saddam Hussein.

By hanging, no less. Ack.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong

Crusader

Send a message via AIM to Crusader  
2006-11-05, 04:48

Ya know, maybe they should let him out... maybe he could establish some semblance of order in Iraq. Barto, the trial was indeed a farce... we all knew that once he was captured he would be executed. I really wish they could have gotten it out of the way sooner...

"It's a good thing there's no law against a company having a monopoly of good ideas. Otherwise Apple would be in deep yogurt..."
-Apple Press Release

scratt
Veteran Member

2006-11-05, 04:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman View Post
Killing him will totally bring back everyone he's killed, right?
Actually, contrary to the lies we are fed here in the West, there is still a large part of the so called "insurgents" who are faithful to the Saddam reigime.. This will actually bring about more pointless death.. It will also start his journey towards martyrdom, if he is in fact ever executed. But as time passes now Saddam will become more and more mysterious and mythical in The Middle East. Don't kill him and the storyline continues.. Do kill him and accelerate his martyrdom.

And it is now impossible under Iraqi law to try him for any other crimes, unless you can get all gazillion cases done in a few weeks.. as there is a time limit for this sentence to be carried out.. But I am sure the occupying forces, and US stooge government will find a way round that, like they managed to ignore all international legal conventions, and ride rough shod over the Iraqi legal system!

The timing of the announcement is also so obviously lnked to the current US political timeline that if anyone had any doubts about the illegitimacy of the current "Iraqi courts", they now won't.. And that, just like the war on terror actually making more terrorists, will bring more people inline *against* the US in Iraq.

Expect a rough few weeks in Baghdad.

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt

murbot
Hoonigan

2006-11-05, 04:50

Good. Hope his neck doesn't break on the way down.

scratt
Veteran Member

2006-11-05, 04:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
Ya know, maybe they should let him out... maybe he could establish some semblance of order in Iraq.
Yup, perhaps he could. I think Bush and his mates are only now understanding why Iraq was ruled the way it was.....

Jamie240

2006-11-05, 05:15

I once thought Saddam was an evil and sadistic dictator who criminally abused his long-suffering people.

But now with these Sunni and Shiite militias beheading, slaughtering and torturing ordinary people right off the streets every night, I'm beginning to think that Saddam's savagery was representative of a bloodthirsty strain in a segment of the Iraqi people themselves.

The savages in these militias seem no better than Saddam himself.

And if Islam is supposed to be such a peaceful religion, why aren't Iraqi Sunni and Shiite clerics speaking out against this horrible nightly bloodshed perpetrated by their followers? Why aren't they busy issuing fatwahs against 'such' evil-doers, instead of inciting riots over pen and ink drawings in newspapers in distant lands.

It is difficult to avoid the conclusion that the clerics support these nightly murderous rampages by their very silence on the issue.

I personally think it seems almost impossible for the West to deal with people operating with a 12th century mentality.

thegeriatric
geri to my friends

2006-11-05, 07:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by murbot View Post
Hmmm a bit harsh maybe..........On second thoughts....... *May he live long and suffer*

No No i'm sure that's supposed to be *May you live long and prosper* Oh well......

I used to be undecided.....But now I'm not so sure.
No trees were harmed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to Fahrenheit  
2006-11-05, 08:04

It will be plenty long before he is killed. For a start, that was only the death sentence for the gassing crime- there are many more months of trials to come. Also, he can appeal, and will.

drewprops
Space Pirate

2006-11-05, 08:08

Hanging? From our frame of reference he was a monster. Blind Justice wins.

But Jamie's right, Saddam was precisely the right kind of lever for controlling the strange political machinery of Iraq. Only now, with the machine disassembled around our ankles, do we begin to understand how the machine worked - and how impossible it is for us to put the machine back together.

That country is insanely engineered.

If Saddam had been exiled to France or Belgium he'd have lived out his days as a declining figure of influence, easily monitored by Western intelligence agencies. Ultimately, he'd have been seen as decadent and forgettable by his supporters, after mousing down on some Paris Hilton type beaverage at a candlelight dinner supper for somebody like Alec Baldwin.

Pictures of Saddam in oversized sunglasses, hanging out at the pool with Leonardo DiCaprio at Cannes, would be enough to make any good Sunni write the man off.

With photos of his hanged body on T-shirts and school lunchboxes he'll only be fuel for legendary violence.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter

scratt
Veteran Member

2006-11-05, 08:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farenheit View Post
It will be plenty long before he is killed. For a start, that was only the death sentence for the gassing crime- there are many more months of trials to come. Also, he can appeal, and will.
Actually the appeal is automatic, and he does nothing. But I am sure his lawyers would have appealed.

The process can also be sped up and he can be excluded from the court, as can his council, just like in this case.

In a perfect world he would have a *real* appeal, but this will be a sham, like the trial itself.

The reason? Because the US absolutely does not want the scenario that drewprops describes happening.

Why? The same reason they blocked this trial going ahead in international courts, and made this kangaroo court happen in Iraq. They want him dead so he can't spill the real beans about what has been going on for the last 15 years...

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'

Barto
Student extraordinaire

2006-11-05, 08:30

Executing someone in a kangaroo court for executing someone in a kangaroo court? Irony. Should have just shot him.

scratt
Veteran Member

2006-11-05, 08:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
That country is insanely engineered.
The irony is that the West had a massive hand in how that part of the world was 'insanely engineered'. I think a nation with similar Imperial aims to the US, a little further back in history, had a lot to do with it.. Even more Ironic that more recent Imperial aspirations are now being thwated by that same engineering!

Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2006-11-05, 11:35

HEY cool, what a coincidence... just in time for the midterm elections so Republicans can tell everyone "mission accomplished". Awesome! No one EVER could've predicted that, how funnEH!

Hey good for you GOP. This is the new America, where wars and convictions -not hard work and ideas- win elections. Ra-ra, go team. Equally useless, but less effective campaigners, the Democrats haven't figured out yet how to play the phony accomplishment game [i.e. war] to win votes. Too busy whining.

BTW, Barto is 100% correct. Shooting him on site would've been less farcical, however, the world wanted to see him alive and waving his arms around like an idiot, before they saw him dead.

The whole situation is a God-damned depressing cartoon at this point. Countless thousands of innocent people died, so ALL of our politicians who ran on a "tough on crime / tough on terror" campaign could appear to have accomplished something, and keep their seats of power. I am ashamed of America today, and you should be too. Our government started something that was unequivocally unnecessary -both in terms of keeping Americans safe and in terms of dismantling Bin Laden's network- all in order to appear strong and win votes among the uninformed and party line idiots.

Instead of saying "we know there are elements in Afghanistan and we're going after them now, but we need more time to know where our other military and intel resources should go", we just picked the easiest target in the world, fabricated a bunch of "evidence" that was long ago debunked (ah but the press never reports that do they) and attacked. Americans always feel confident when we're on the offensive, and the politicians prey on this illogical tendency.

COLD UGLY FACT: We've elected people who slaughtered tens and possibly hundreds of thousands of innocent people -far away where we can't get a good sense for the constant and horrific streets scenes every day (sorry news photos don't cut it)- all in order to maintain their positions of power in Washington. This is OUR FAULT, because we elected them and then when they started doing things we knew were wrong, we sat on our asses and argued about it at Starbucks instead of marching on Washington, in NY and everywhere else. That's the sad, sick fact. And the sooner we all admit it, the sooner we can go about the business of cleaning up Washington, reforming the political system and making sure it never fucking happens again.

And if you think you "know the situation" over there, ponder for just a moment what kind of coverage, interviews with civilians and other things you would see on TV, if TENS OF THOUSANDS of westerners were being car-bombed and slaughtered into oblivion in some country closer to home. We would all be puking in our dinners on a nightly basis, because the media WOULD show us the truth. But because this happens in an Arab country, we get the standard "don't we all feel for them" gloss treatment. Woman crying over coffin, blood on street, little kids running amidst gunfire. ...

We NEVER see pictures of 15 people, cut to fucking pieces, lying all over the sidewalk. DAY AFTER DAY. Not once a month. EVERY FUCKING DAY. We never see anything that would make us lose our dinner, because then we'd get up and DO SOMETHING. Wouldn't we?..... think about it.

...into the light of a dark black night.

Last edited by Moogs : 2006-11-05 at 11:44.

DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2006-11-05, 23:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by murbot View Post
I'm with you. This is all that needs to be said on the subject as far as I'm concerned.