User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Feedback »

How often do you leave rep. points?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
View Poll Results: How frequently do you add rep?
Seldom/Never. ("All-time" quality posts.) 7 12.07%
Rarely. ("Best-" or "worst-of" quality posts.) 14 24.14%
Occasionally. (Abnormally good/funny/offensive.) 26 44.83%
Often. (Mildly good/funny/offensive.) 6 10.34%
Frequently/Every post. (Almost no qualifiers.) 0 0%
I wanted the reputation system removed. 1 1.72%
Can we give out beer points? 4 6.90%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

How often do you leave rep. points?
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
ShadowOfGed
Travels via TARDIS

2008-06-14, 02:06

So, I've found myself leaving more and more reputation points lately. I don't really know why, but it just seems better (to me) than posting unrelated thoughts/approval/disapproval in the middle of another discussion. So I'm curious what everybody else's philosophy is on using the reputation system.

It seems, to me, like something that should be used moderately often—obviously not for every post you read, but whenever I see something that really makes me laugh, seems well thought out, I'll leave rep. Sometimes, in the rarer case, when someone's behavior really irks me, I'll leave negative rep points. (N.B. disagreement, even political, doesn't irk me—it's the degeneration to name-calling and other poor sportsmanship that pisses me off.)

I think I'll attach a poll, but give me a few minutes to get it up.

I'm kinda curious, because I imagine the rep system behaves best when most people use it in a consistent fashion, instead of having some who add rep *constantly* and some who *rarely* do. Thoughts?

Apparently I call the cops when I see people litter.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2008-06-14, 02:09

Where's the poll?

ShadowOfGed
Travels via TARDIS

2008-06-14, 02:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcimedes View Post
Where's the poll?

This was bound to happen.

Took me a couple minutes to get the wording right so that you could either pick one based on time/frequency or what it takes in a post to garner reputation points. I tried my best.

Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2008-06-14, 03:00

Only occasionally here, and it looks like a lot of people are like me. I usually don't remember to leave rep unless someone else mentions leaving it.
Yonzie
Mac Mini Maniac

2008-06-14, 07:14

Rarely. I don't think about it unless a post is so epic (win or fail) that it makes me remember it exists.
Oh, and I really like the pop-up after you give the point(s). The first time I did it I gave negative rep and I felt really bad about it afterwards

Converted 07/2005.
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2008-06-14, 09:44

I'm a consistent reputation giver. I don't go around deliberately looking for posts to give rep to, but if I find a post that's really good, I'll rep it. I have not yet left a negative rep.

I usually give rep to quality posts (one that perfectly sums up a situation, or one that's incredibly helpful- say if someone asked a question and the answer was detailed and useful- or generally any well-thought-out and accurate posts). I also give rep to hilarious posts, like the lolWWDC post.

"A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel my anger!" - Darth Baras
twitter ; amateur photographer ; fanfiction writer ; roleplayer and worldbuilder
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-06-14, 12:53

Seldom/never for me. I think, in my four years here(!), I've only done it about 4-5 times.
ShadowOfGed
Travels via TARDIS

2008-06-14, 22:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capella View Post
I'm a consistent reputation giver. I don't go around deliberately looking for posts to give rep to, but if I find a post that's really good, I'll rep it. I have not yet left a negative rep.

I usually give rep to quality posts (one that perfectly sums up a situation, or one that's incredibly helpful- say if someone asked a question and the answer was detailed and useful- or generally any well-thought-out and accurate posts). I also give rep to hilarious posts, like the lolWWDC post.
Yeah, that's pretty much how I am. I don't know if there's a log that I can see of reputation I've *given*, but I absolutely hate giving out negative rep. I can probably count on one hand the number of time's I've seen a post that actually got some from me. Twice, maybe thrice. I definitely prefer to say "nice job" for whatever reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
Seldom/never for me. I think, in my four years here(!), I've only done it about 4-5 times.
Interesting, 'scates. Not that there's really any justification behind it, but that wasn't the response I expected from you.

torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2008-06-14, 22:51

I go through spurts. I think my most frequent rep givings are for genius bar posts or political ones.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2008-06-14, 22:55

Ditto- I've found myself to be inconsistent like Torifile- sometime I give it out like there's no tomorrow, then next day, I hunk my points up for a long drought.
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2008-06-14, 23:45

I just keep giving positive ones to anyone I can find until I am allowed to do a negative one again. Then I go looking for Brave Ulysses.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2008-06-14, 23:56

I always (actually that's an absolute word, but I think it is very close to always) give positive rep points when I receive Genius Bar assistance. I mean, help in solving a problem, not necessarily chatter/discussion.

Other than that, I mainly give out rep points for posts that are both courteous and informative... as well as for obtuse, or what I find to be witty, humour. This is sporadic though.

Also, now that I have a mobile phone, I find myself reading the 'nova on the bus or ferry to work and my participation, for the most part these days, is a passive one. It is tedious to compose a post or leave a comment in a rep box using predictive text. I'd prefer to wait until I'm home to post longer posts using a keyboard.

I don't think I have ever given out neg rep, although I have been tempted. I was actually inspired to adopt this approach after I read that Jack never gave it (neg rep) out. Life is too short to be negative to others. I much prefer positive reinforcement.

Come to think of it, I wouldn't mind being able to track the reputation points I've dished out. Could that functionality be added?

All I want is a simple life
twitter

Last edited by Mac+ : 2008-06-15 at 00:02. Reason: added idea about being able to see rep points I've dished out
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to Fahrenheit  
2008-06-15, 03:43

Haha, cheers admins!

So, yeh, I don't give a lot of negative reputation out. But I do reward good posts in the genius bar, and the odd slice of wit-pie.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2008-06-15, 04:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farenheit View Post
Haha, cheers admins!

So, yeh, I don't give a lot of negative reputation out. But I do reward good posts in the genius bar, and the odd slice of wit-pie.
Wait, you're unable to give out negative rep? I'm not seeing that at all.

I could have given you negative rep! I didn't, but I could have.
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2008-06-15, 04:11

Maybe Farenheit has spent all his negative rep?

Now he's gotta spread some positive around before he's allowed to be negative again.

Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to Fahrenheit  
2008-06-15, 04:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca View Post
Wait, you're unable to give out negative rep? I'm not seeing that at all.

I could have given you negative rep! I didn't, but I could have.
I've written loads of PMs about it, but never got a reply!11

Also, I can't see who gives me rep, if you're helping!
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2008-06-15, 04:35

On the subject of rep points.. Seeing as that's on topic here!!

I just tried to give one to someone who left me a rather nice comment with a green jelly bean, but it gave me the familiar message.. "I must spread it around a bit before I give it to xxxx again."

The thing is I don't think I have ever given that person rep before, and certainly not within any period I can remember. (Snide remarks about short term memory not required!)

I checked on some other names to double check and it's fine with me giving them rep.. What gives? Looks a bit like a database foobar, or a bug.

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt
turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

Send a message via ICQ to turbulentfurball Send a message via AIM to turbulentfurball Send a message via MSN to turbulentfurball  
2008-06-15, 12:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farenheit View Post
I've written loads of PMs about it, but never got a reply!11

Also, I can't see who gives me rep, if you're helping!
They were both taken from you when you and WR last had a battle, as you told me at the time. I guess you forgot all about that, eh?

Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2008-06-15, 16:15

Interesting that a couple of people would like to see a record of their given rep. So would I, but as that's not available, I keep a record of it myself (date, recipient, post, positive/negative (nearly always positive), my rep comment). Yes, I'm pretty damn anal. I've got a record of my thousands of text messages from the last few years too.

So I can say I've given rep 33 times. Not much, probably because it's a pain in the arse to give it when you have to record it manually! Also, I only noticed the rep thing in mid-2007, a couple of years after I joined AppleNova. I've mostly given rep for witty posts, insightful commentary in AppleOutsider, and posts that have helped me with a technical issue, usually in the Genius Bar.

Would be nice to see a complete record of received rep too. Is that held on record somewhere in the bowels of AN?
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2008-06-15, 16:19

Count me in on "would like to see a record of rep points". I don't actually keep track in any way beyond just knowing that there's 4 or 5 people who keep winding up getting my rep because they're either perpetually funny or perpetually insightful, but having a record sounds like a good idea.

"A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel my anger!" - Darth Baras
twitter ; amateur photographer ; fanfiction writer ; roleplayer and worldbuilder
zsummers
Avast!

2008-06-15, 17:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian Gray View Post
Interesting that a couple of people would like to see a record of their given rep. So would I, but as that's not available, I keep a record of it myself (date, recipient, post, positive/negative (nearly always positive), my rep comment). Yes, I'm pretty damn anal. I've got a record of my thousands of text messages from the last few years too.
The Dude does not abide...
Foj
Veteran Member

2008-06-16, 13:25

I like giving positive rep points. It makes me feel kinda funny, like when we used to climb the rope in gym class.

I must spread some rep around before giving again to Bryson and Xaqtly! Well, shucks

A knife and a fork, a bottle and a cork, that's the way to spell New York.

Last edited by Foj : 2008-06-16 at 13:39.
InactionMan
Veteran Member

2008-06-16, 21:56

Like torifile, I give rep in fits and starts. Usually for funny posts but sometimes I devolve and base rep on whether or not I agree with someone's opinion in some goofy political thread. I always take a rep hiatus after giving someone a negative rep in AO or when I get that stupid, "You have to spread it around before giving it to __________ again."
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2008-06-17, 10:37

I'd say I give rep consistently, but not particularly frequently. I think I've only given negative rep once, to neiltc13, for trolling.

I tend to give out rep for things that make me LOL. I'll give rep for posts that say things really well, because while saying the right thing is good, saying it well is what really impresses me. I also give rep for just straight up helpfulness (in the GB or elsewhere), because you can never have too much of that. And yes, I'll give rep for posts that are extremely helpful to others as well as myself.

I like the rep system, but I don't think the negative rep is very useful, and more often than not, is counter-productive. I'll hop on the "I'd like to see rep I've given" bandwagon. I'd also like to be able to see other users rep in their profiles.

Logic, logic, logic. Logic is the beginning of wisdom, Valeris, not the end.
dmegatool
Custom User Title

2008-06-17, 11:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraetos View Post
[...] I'd also like to be able to see other users rep in their profiles.
If so, we could have a "Hall of Fame" of negative reputation points.
ShadowOfGed
Travels via TARDIS

2008-06-17, 15:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraetos View Post
I'd also like to be able to see other users rep in their profiles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmegatool View Post
If so, we could have a "Hall of Fame" of negative reputation points.
We used to have this, though not itemized. You could see a user's aggregate reputation / score; I think it was graphical only (with a bar of green/red bubbles), not numerical.

HOWEVER.

I believe this feature was disabled/eliminated because of the relatively inane reputation wars that it inspired between a couple of users. I can't remember exactly who was involved, but I shouldn't mention names even if I did.

EDIT: We didn't have a hall of fame (shame?), but such a feature would only serve to fuel such idiocy. At least for some; I'd be curious to see it, but some people would probably use it the wrong way…

Last edited by ShadowOfGed : 2008-06-17 at 15:21. Reason: I didn't mean to imply we ever had a hall of shame.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2008-06-17, 15:22

Can we describe ourselves as grizzled veterans of the rep wars of '07?

Because that would be cool.
dmegatool
Custom User Title

2008-06-17, 15:52

Yeah. I would like the all of shame but I forgot that peoples are stupid. It will probably (like surely) turns out bad in weeks.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2008-06-17, 16:17

I pretty much save them for helpful Genius Bar posts.
nikstar101
Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to nikstar101  
2008-09-18, 11:41

I only just figured out they existed!! So i must apologise for not dishing them out earlier to people who have helped me out before.

What do they do?? Do they count towards your membership status?