Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Furniture suggestions

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Furniture suggestions
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2015-03-20, 10:59

Any recommendations for places to buy furniture of a quality above average to very good? In the next 12 months my wife and I will be spending some money on furnishing our home and we don't want to buy things that we'll regret later, and hopefully get things that will last a long time. We'd be willing to spend a little bit more for longevity.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

"We are reviewing some 9,000 recent UNHCR referrals from Syria. We are receiving roughly a thousand new ones each month, and we expect admissions from Syria to surge in 2015 and beyond." - Anne C. Richard, Assistant Secretary, Bureau of Population, Refugees, and Migration
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2015-03-20, 14:23

It's kind of hard to offer suggestions without knowing what kind of furniture you and your wife like (besides "expensive"). What's your style? Classical, contemporary, modern, kitschy, rustic, industrial, rococo? Most stores have a particular voice and cater to a specific sensibility; very little at Hive Modern would look at home in your typical log cabin.

If you're not sure what you're looking for, my advice would be to buy a few issues of Dwell or Architectural Digest or similar magazines (or ask your wife to buy them, if you're afraid of looking gay). They're filled with glamorous ads for "above average to very good" furniture. And the articles are sometimes worth reading, too.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
murbot
Hoonigan

2015-03-20, 14:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
If you're not sure what you're looking for, my advice would be to buy a few issues of Dwell or Architectural Digest or similar magazines (or ask your wife to buy them, if you're afraid of looking gay).
Red pants are fine, but architectural magazines? Way over the top.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2015-03-20, 15:00

I just got finished the grueling process of finding a new couch for our den. My wife and I went to all the furnitures stores in the area that were better than Big Lots or the sort. We ended up getting our couch from Havertys and are now just awaiting it's arrival. Their furniture seems to be in the range you are looking for as opposed to the major seller in this area: The Dump.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
addabox
Veteran Member

2015-03-20, 16:50

Funny, I've been couch shopping myself and now know far more about their construction than I ever intended.

I've ended up going with a place that makes them up custom, for less than the Pottery Barns of the world, with better materials. As best as I can make out, your basic $1,000-$2,000 Pottery Barn/Crate and Barrel/department store sofas, on up to fancier places like Room and Board, Design Within Reach, etc, are all offering basically the same thing, made by basically the same people (all in North Carolina, for some reason) with price varying by nameplate and fabric.

Under that is Chinese made plywood and cardboard junk, the $400 special.

Above that you get into "heirloom" stuff with 8 way hand tied springs and higher levels of construction, but those start at like $5,000 and go rapidly up from there. There are entire websites devoted to angry sofa partisans who can't believe anyone would be stupid enough to spend less than $8,000 on a sofa.

That which doesn't kill you weakens you slightly and makes you less able to cope until you're completely incapacitated
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2015-03-20, 16:51

I like the look of the stuff at Pottery Barn but their prices are usually absurd. We did buy a couch from there but Im looking for a dining table and chairs or bench on one side, some larger rugs (maybe 8x10), bed and headboard one king and one full), and end tables (why are these so expensive!?)...

"We are reviewing some 9,000 recent UNHCR referrals from Syria. We are receiving roughly a thousand new ones each month, and we expect admissions from Syria to surge in 2015 and beyond." - Anne C. Richard, Assistant Secretary, Bureau of Population, Refugees, and Migration
addabox
Veteran Member

2015-03-20, 16:54

The trick is to get what you pay for. You can pay a lot of money for stuff that isn't particularly well made, just because of branding. Unfortunately, actually well made stuff isn't cheap, typically, unless you're into the bare bones Amish look.

I like Room and Board for contemporary stuff. Not cheap, but they let you know exactly who makes their stuff, and how, and out of what. No cheap veneers here, but not the ruinously expensive stuff of the high end showrooms.

That which doesn't kill you weakens you slightly and makes you less able to cope until you're completely incapacitated
Wrao
Yarp

2015-03-20, 19:47

One way to get high quality stuff for less absurd prices if you have any in your area(or even within a reasonable drive from your area) is consignment shops, particularly consignment shops that cater to wealthier neighborhoods. They can sort of be like going to a really high-end thrift shop where you never quite know what you'll get, ranging from somewhat generic to unmistakably custom and unique and generally priced to sell(in terms of relation to its value). You also sometimes find stuff that's been plucked straight from some estate and was put there by a professional interior designer so you can use it as a way to crib notes a bit on what people who do this sort of thing for a living think is good, bad, appropriate...etc.

Furniture often comes down to the quality and type of the wood. Quality of assembly and construction matters a lot as well of course, but the one tends to follow the other. If you know anything about wood, that knowledge transfers well to furniture construction, and thus to furniture buying. But yeah, as others have said, for the most part good, high-quality furniture that'll last indefinitely isn't going to be cheap no matter how you slice it, so depending on how much money matters, you also plan this stuff strategically, maybe you save a little on the rug but go all out on the coffee table for the time being or get the best bed possible but save a bit on your bookshelves.
Wrao
Yarp

2015-03-20, 19:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post
There are entire websites devoted to angry sofa partisans who can't believe anyone would be stupid enough to spend less than $8,000 on a sofa.

Confirmed: Apple is planning on making a sofa
addison
Formerly “AWM”

2015-03-20, 20:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post
I like Room and Board for contemporary stuff. Not cheap, but they let you know exactly who makes their stuff, and how, and out of what. No cheap veneers here, but not the ruinously expensive stuff of the high end showrooms.
I really like Room and Board too but just too expensive for us at this point. I like Restoration Hardware too though not as much. Some of their stuff is just silly. They were closing a store around here years ago and we bought a few things during the sale. Every year since then they send us a catalog that easily weighs over five pounds. If you ever go to Boston check out their store. It used to be a museum. It's pretty amazing.

There is a Crate & Barrel outlet here in NJ that I've done really well at over the years. Managed to get both of my kids bedrooms furnished for not a lot of money as well as some other stuff. As more people go there though the deals aren't what they used to be.
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2015-03-20, 20:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrao View Post
Confirmed: Apple is planning on making a sofa
LOL

Yeah, money certainly matters. I don't do badly but strategic planning is a necessity at this stage in life. We're doing one large purchase every 3-4 months at this point. I consider large anything from $1,000 to $2,500, and $2,500 on a single item is a huge amount to me. The only items I really see worth spending a lot on are:

Couches
A dining table and chairs
Desks
Rugs

I was able to get a clearance media stand from a LazBoy Galleries location which was marked down from $1200 to $279. I think similar items went for around $400 online and their original price was one of those "now you feel good about this markdown" kind of things, but it was still a good deal for the quality of the piece. I rented a Uhaul Van for a total of $37 after mileage instead of paying for their $80 delivery (couldn't fit the thing in a Subaru sedan or a Mini Countryman).

Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2015-03-20, 21:43

That Restoration Hardware place is nuts. Their stuff is beautiful and expensive but there are some things there that are in the ballpark.
addabox
Veteran Member

2015-03-20, 22:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by addison View Post
I really like Room and Board too but just too expensive for us at this point. I like Restoration Hardware too though not as much. Some of their stuff is just silly. They were closing a store around here years ago and we bought a few things during the sale. Every year since then they send us a catalog that easily weighs over five pounds. If you ever go to Boston check out their store. It used to be a museum. It's pretty amazing.

There is a Crate & Barrel outlet here in NJ that I've done really well at over the years. Managed to get both of my kids bedrooms furnished for not a lot of money as well as some other stuff. As more people go there though the deals aren't what they used to be.
Yeah, I hear you on the price. Taint cheap.

I've started gravitating to that kind of place because I know what I'm getting. Their website is very clear on materials, techniques and sourcing. Crate and Barrel, Pottery Barn, West Elm, CB2, etc, are kind of hit and miss. They stress design over construction, so that while a lot of money might get you a nice piece, it might get you a badly made, cheaply assembled knock-off. I've seen really expensive bookcases, desks and tables in those places where the veneer on the showroom models was already wearing away at the corners, and once that happens you might as well go Ikea.

Sofas, in particular, can be a real disappointment. You get something that has great lines and nice fabric and spend $2000 and discover that that's considered "disposable" money-- the expectation is that a $2,000 will last 6-8 years and you'll toss it. Don't know about you, but that doesn't seem like a good deal to me. The custom place I'm working with has their frames made from kiln dried alder, blocked and screwed, offers a range of fabrics, and uses much denser foam than any of the above (3 and up compared to 1.8, whatever those numbers mean). That means that in a few years my cushions won't look like fallen soufflés. I'm looking at modern type sofas, not the big fall into them sofas, and there's nothing sadder than a crisp mid century type sofa with deflated cushions.

Here's the kicker-- they charge $1200 for the sofa I want and I can customize it to my heart's content with no fee. The only thing that costs more money is better fabric, and that's a given. I get a better sofa, made for me, for less money.

Check around if you have anything like that in your area. I also second the consignment store idea, especially in an affluent neighborhood. You can get great stuff for pennies on the dollar, and if it's of genuinely high quality (and was owned by someone who could afford it in the first place) being used won't have taken any toll at all-- that's sort of the point of the good stuff, after all, it holds up.

crazychester
Dick in the Abstentia, The

2015-03-20, 23:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messiahtosh View Post
In the next 12 months my wife and I will be.......
Wait.

What?!

Right that's it! I'm not coming here anymore. This place makes my Alzheimer's play up something shockin'.

Please excuse me. I'm sure there's a hot plate somewhere that I've forgotten to turn off.

And get out of my way. Zimmer frames aren't exactly IKEA when it comes to good design you know.
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2015-03-21, 09:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazychester View Post
Wait.

What?!

Right that's it! I'm not coming here anymore. This place makes my Alzheimer's play up something shockin'.

Please excuse me. I'm sure there's a hot plate somewhere that I've forgotten to turn off.

And get out of my way. Zimmer frames aren't exactly IKEA when it comes to good design you know.
What?
crazychester
Dick in the Abstentia, The

2015-03-22, 00:03

Your post made me feel old. IOW so little time seems to have passed and yet so much seems to have changed.

Now look I remember you. So before you go all weird on me. My comment was intended in a light hearted way.

And just to underscore my point....deep seat. Any good lounge has a deep seat. The bit you part your arse on. The bit you put your bum on must extend far enough forward that it comes to the back of your knees when sitting upright.

Not only will such a lounge be supremely comfortable, it will also be large enough to accommodate both Mrs Tosh and any little Toshes that might spring forth as a result of Mr and Mrs Tosh having "good times" on their incredibly comfy lounge.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2015-03-22, 09:36

If you like traditional stuff that's well made you might look to see if there's a Gomer Bolstrood Home Gallery in your area.

I've never seen the stuff in person.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2015-03-22, 10:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazychester View Post
Your post made me feel old. IOW so little time seems to have passed and yet so much seems to have changed.

Now look I remember you. So before you go all weird on me. My comment was intended in a light hearted way.

And just to underscore my point....deep seat. Any good lounge has a deep seat. The bit you part your arse on. The bit you put your bum on must extend far enough forward that it comes to the back of your knees when sitting upright.

Not only will such a lounge be supremely comfortable, it will also be large enough to accommodate both Mrs Tosh and any little Toshes that might spring forth as a result of Mr and Mrs Tosh having "good times" on their incredibly comfy lounge.
Ha! We've been married for over five years now. I have a Masters degree....own a house...I'm a real live person. lol

No little ones for maybe 5 more years...maybe when I am in my mid to late 30s. Too much money. Too much poop.