AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

I just made my own strawberry jam!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
I just made my own strawberry jam!
ast3r3x
25 chars of wasted space.

Send a message via AIM to ast3r3x  
2006-06-11, 05:15

As I believe I mentioned a couple months ago I started making homemade wine…well fruit wine, not grapes. Well to make your own wine you needs lots of sugar…or A LOT of fruit. For example, 18lbs of grapes I remember reading, and that might have been for one gallon.

Either way, lots of sugar, and on one of my 25lbs bags, there was a recipe for strawberry jam. Well I got to thinking, the amish do it, why couldn't I? So I wen out got, some pectin, and 3 quarts of strawberries.

It was easy and turned out really well, although I would like it to be a little firmer and less sugary, but that is for next time, or when I try again with a different fruit.

So do any of you guys make anything or do your own canning/bottling? I know several of you have vegetable/fruit gardens, do you just eat them, or do something with them like this?
CFP

2006-06-11, 06:22

Well done, matey-o.

I don't do it myself, although I'd like to. Both my Nan (especially her homemade spicy veg chutney) and my Nonna (pickled wild mountain mushrooms, amongst countless others) excel at it though.

Mmmmm... yum
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2006-06-11, 10:15

Mmm... strawberry.
babelfish

2006-06-11, 11:28

I remember when I was really young we (my family) made some jam. I was young and it was suggary so I ate more than what was sensible..

I was off jam for quite a while after that :/
Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-06-11, 13:17

Okay, ast3r3x, this is totally 'not' related to making jam or foodstuffs, etc.

But your post reminded me of one time when I went out into the wilderness and collected small stones of various types, all of which were characterized by the intensity of their color - some dark red, some greenish blue, some golden-yellow, and so forth.

I took them home and ground the stones into fine powders. Then I mixed the powders with small amounts of oil and used the colors to paint a small picture. I was trying to figure out how the native Americans might have come up with colors for their pottery.

My painting sucked in a major way - but the 'idea' was a fun one, I thought.

Strawberry jam sounds great. It's my favorite kind. On freshly-baked, crusty bread with sweet (not salted) butter? Oh YUM!!!

I might try making tomato sauces with my abundance of garden tomatoes; but offhand, I think I'd prefer to freeze the sauces, rather than preserving in jars.

Yes, please 'do' let us know how your next batch turns out.

Last edited by Windswept : 2006-06-12 at 11:10.
Foj
Veteran Member

2006-06-11, 13:38

Man, you've gotten me in the mood for a sandwich right now. I'll be right back.

A knife and a fork, a bottle and a cork, that's the way to spell New York.

Last edited by Foj : 2006-06-11 at 19:26.
thegeriatric
geri to my friends

2006-06-11, 13:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windswept
Strawberry jam sounds great. It's my favorite kind. On freshly-baked, crusty bread with sweet (not salted) butter? Oh YUM!!!

Yes, please 'do' let us know how your next batch turns out.
Ok enough enough, i can't stand it anymore. To hell with the diet.
Engine Joe
Going Strange...

2006-06-11, 13:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by ast3r3x
It was easy and turned out really well, although I would like it to be a little firmer and less sugary, but that is for next time, or when I try again with a different fruit.

So do any of you guys make anything or do your own canning/bottling? I know several of you have vegetable/fruit gardens, do you just eat them, or do something with them like this?
With jamming, you should always follow a recipe, not make your own variations - unless you have a lot of experience with jam-making.

For one thing, all fruits have pectin - but different fruits have different amounts. So the calculations for how much pectin to add to a recipie changes depending on the fruit you use. Similarly, the differing acid levels in fruits will impact the jams, so you need to account for that. You also can't just play with sugar levels too much - you need certain amounts because it is required for the pectin to set. And most importantly, the sugar makes it harder for bacteria to show up in your jam, because it absorbs up water, which is where germs want to hang out.
Why don't you check this page out (which is a transcript), or at least watch the Good Eats episode that discusses jams (if you can).
drewprops
Space Pirate

2006-06-11, 16:02

Our grape vine is putting on grapes for the first time in I don't know HOW long. I thought about making some wine to celebrate the occasion but I haven't actually done any footwork yet.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
spikeh
BANNED

Send a message via AIM to spikeh Send a message via MSN to spikeh  
2006-06-11, 16:04

I'm allergic to strawberries Bright red rash all over.

Not good. I'm also addicted to the frankly brilliant Innocent Smoothies: Strawberry & Banana. Which is an unhappy agreement, as it means I get my portions of fruit every day, but also a rather unsightly rash.
Dave
Ninja Editor

2006-06-11, 16:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine Joe
Why don't you check this page out (which is a transcript), or at least watch the Good Eats episode that discusses jams (if you can).
Good Eats is the best food show I've ever seen. It's so informative that when I don't like his recipes (it happens), I know exactly what's wrong with them because he tells you what all the ingredients are for.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2006-06-11, 18:30

I turned a cherry pie right into jam once.
ast3r3x

2006-06-11, 19:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine Joe
Similarly, the differing acid levels in fruits will impact the jams, so you need to account for that.
Really? Maybe I shouldn't have added acid blend and tannin from my wine supplies. I was trying to change the flavor a bit to make it a bit more tart.
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Windowsrookie Send a message via MSN to Windowsrookie Send a message via Yahoo to Windowsrookie  
2006-06-11, 20:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcimedes
I turned a cherry pie right into jam once.
I don't know if I should be doing this or this right now.
spikeh
BANNED

Send a message via AIM to spikeh Send a message via MSN to spikeh  
2006-06-12, 02:24

As long as you aren't eating the jam I'd imagine you'll be OK, windowsrookie.
CoolToddHunter

Send a message via AIM to CoolToddHunter  
2006-06-12, 09:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by ast3r3x
It's possible the sugar content was just right, but mixed improperly. My parents used to make strawberry jam when I was young, so I was (naturally) drafted for some work. Some of the batches I worked on turned out grainy until I learned how to stir long and hard enough to disolve all the sugar.

I do miss that jam.
ast3r3x

2006-06-12, 10:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolToddHunter
It's possible the sugar content was just right, but mixed improperly. My parents used to make strawberry jam when I was young, so I was (naturally) drafted for some work. Some of the batches I worked on turned out grainy until I learned how to stir long and hard enough to disolve all the sugar.

I do miss that jam.
It's possible I didn't let my mixture boil properly after I added the sugar. I was trying to error on the side of caution not to burn it.
zippy
Veteran Member

2006-06-12, 11:41

I've made raspberry, cherry and strawberry jam before. Cherry is my favorite - fresh picked, tart cherries. We did the whole canning thing with some other members of the family. I think we made somewhere around 100 jars of the stuff. It certainly lasted a while.

My speciality, however is pie. French Apple with a brown sugar crumbly top is the family favorite, but I like a good flaky pastry top once in a while. My pies are about 6 inches tall in the center when I place them in the oven. That cooks down a bit, but even then, the pie should be mounded in the middle and chock full of yummy, tart apples.

Oh, and Huckleberry pie too. That's a treat. I sometimes just make up the Huckleberry pie filling and pour it over ice cream, or blend it into a shake.

Is it lunch time yet?

Do you know where children get all of their energy? - They suck it right out of their parents!
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2006-06-12, 11:50

Oh man.

I grew up in fruit country - Eastern WA state. We lived in the middle of 40acres of Red and Golden Delicious apples, with some Granny Smiths scattered about, there was a 10acre Bartlett pear block up towards the irrigation ditch, and that was just one orchard out of... dozens on our street. The guy across the street had 35acres of cherries, Mr. Druzak down the road had Italian plums, there was wild asparagus growing everywhere. My grandfather had 2.5 acres of hand-tended *old* Bing cherry trees that were just incredible. A pie cherry tree, two nectarine trees, two peach trees, and a massive raspberry thicket rounded out his place.

There was always canning and preserving going on. I still miss my grandmother's canned cherries... I think we had the last of them at a family dinner six years ago.

Yesterday I saw mediocre, small, half-ripe Bing cherries at the grocery store for $6/lb. I about sobbed.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-06-12, 11:56

Mmm, I *love* them farm boyz.

Kickaha
Veteran Member

2006-06-12, 12:01

You just love us for our big implements.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-06-12, 12:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha
You just love us for our big implements.

It's not the 'implement', but what you *do* with it.
¡Damned!

2006-06-12, 12:22

Kickaha is a big hoe.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2006-06-12, 12:57

Well duh.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-06-12, 13:31

Kickaha is a plough?

Kickaha
Veteran Member

2006-06-12, 13:33

Wasn't this thread about sweet, innocent memories of summer?

Sheesh Windswept, you can drag *anything* into the gutter, can't you? (Now get off of me, you're blocking my light. )
Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-06-12, 13:45

Quote:

Sheesh Windswept, you can drag *anything* into the gutter, can't you? (Now get off of me, you're blocking my light. )
709 started it. Blame him.

Now waitaminnit.

*You* are the plough, so 'you' have to...

...oh nevermind.
crazychester
Dick in the Abstentia, The

2006-06-12, 22:51

Quote:
(Now get off of me, you're blocking my light. )
Oh you're a barrel of laughs.

(It's Obscure Ancient Grecian Pun Time, people!)
thegeriatric
geri to my friends

2006-06-13, 05:35

Quote:

Actually it was about Strawberry Jam, wasn't it ?. But what the hell this is much more fun.