Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Relient K Widgets
Page 2 of 2 Previous 1 [2]  Thread Tools
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2007-11-29, 22:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle2472 View Post
Hey, I just noticed your music is all iTunes+! That certainly makes me willing to buy it.

But here is my million dollar question, how much do you guys see of the $.99 I pay for a song?
I can tell you that from a regular iTunes song, my band gets $0.3185/song out of the $0.99
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2007-11-29, 22:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJohn View Post
So I've been wondering a lot lately, what exactly is Christian rock? Is it just rock made by people who happen to be Christian? Is there some sort of litmus test applied? No dirty words? Does it really deserve its own genre?

I like a lot of what I've heard, it mostly sounds like regular rock 'n' roll. I don't usually hear anything exceptionally inspirational in the lyrics. And I certainly don't care about the religious affiliations of the musicians. Maybe some people do?.

Perhaps I'm missing something.
As jdcfsu said, the line has blurred a lot. In general, the genre denotes music that is specifically Christian in nature. ie, praise and worship songs with a rock beat to them. Most "Christian" artists are singing "Pop" songs too. Relient K is generally seen as one of these "cross-over" bands. While some of their songs aren't out-right, Jesus is Lord, a lot of them have an underriding theme that is Christian in its core.

johnny5w or jdcfsu, would you agree with that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yontsey View Post
I can tell you that from a regular iTunes song, my band gets $0.3185/song out of the $0.99
Well, that's not too bad, thought it would seem that you should get more than 33%.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2007-11-29, 23:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yontsey View Post
That actually sounds like a lot!
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2007-11-29, 23:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
That actually sounds like a lot!
Yeah, that actually really suprises me. I wish authors got that high of a percentage from book sales.

Of course, the production costs for an individual iTunes song are virtually nonexistant (bandwidth, basically), so Relient K/johnny5w probably get a higher percentage of the purchase price from an iTunes album than from a retail album (of course, this all depends on the price of the retail album). So maybe that's the reason I want ebook readers to take off.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
johnny5w

2007-12-02, 18:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle2472 View Post
As jdcfsu said, the line has blurred a lot. In general, the genre denotes music that is specifically Christian in nature. ie, praise and worship songs with a rock beat to them. Most "Christian" artists are singing "Pop" songs too. Relient K is generally seen as one of these "cross-over" bands. While some of their songs aren't out-right, Jesus is Lord, a lot of them have an underriding theme that is Christian in its core.

johnny5w or jdcfsu, would you agree with that?
Yeah, in the circles we move in this has been addressed ad nauseam. To us, we really don't care what category people put our band into, what label you apply. We sing about things that are important to us, and since our faith is vital, that's something that comes up a lot. There's an underlying message of hope and redemption, at least in the songs that aren't too cheesy and about girls
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to Fahrenheit  
2007-12-24, 13:42

Just thought you'd like to know that the half hour length 'Shrek the Halls' that I'm watching now has music by Relient K in it.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2007-12-25, 23:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farenheit View Post
Just thought you'd like to know that the half hour length 'Shrek the Halls' that I'm watching now has music by Relient K in it.
Oh god. (Erm, no offense?)

That's an even worse pun then Shrek Goes Forth.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2008-02-02, 20:55

*another bump*

I just thought I'd pop in here and mention that my wife was telling me about this great band called "Relient K" this evening and when I mentioned you (johnny5w) were an AppleNova member she was all "no wai!" and I was all "totally!" and she was like "lemme see!" and I was all "see? look!"

*ahem*

Anyway, so, yeah.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
johnny5w

2008-02-03, 02:04

That's weird because my wife and I were just discussing selfish heathens, and when your name came up she was all like "omg i lyk totaly have his hosts file!"
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2008-02-03, 09:21

Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2008-02-03, 12:34

haha well played
johnny5w

2008-07-13, 10:36

Hey all! My band recently put out am EP/B-Sides thing, and I wrote and sang a song on it. If you have the stomach to listen to it, here's the iTunes link.

Sadly, I couldn't come up with a decent rhyme for "AppleNova" that fit with the theme
rampancy

2008-07-13, 13:56

I actually saw that on the iTunes Store front page - I did a bit of a double take because I mistook that for the actual band called The Bird and the Bee.

"The things that will destroy us are: politics without principle; pleasure without conscience; wealth without work; knowledge without character business without morality; science without humanity; and worship without sacrifice."
- Mahatma Gandhi
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2008-07-20, 18:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny5w View Post
Hey all! My band recently put out am EP/B-Sides thing, and I wrote and sang a song on it. If you have the stomach to listen to it, here's the iTunes link.

Sadly, I couldn't come up with a decent rhyme for "AppleNova" that fit with the theme
Didn't realize you guys were working on some new stuff. I'll have to check it out.
Partial
Stallion

2008-07-20, 22:50

mood rings is hilarious.
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2008-07-21, 14:50

My friend loves you guys!

(I wish I had a more meaningful contribution - sorry )
colivigan
Veteran Member

2008-12-09, 22:22

I was just checking out your Christmas album.

Pretty cool! I might have to lobby the wife - our holiday mix could use a little punk.
johnny5w

2008-12-15, 00:25

<shameless self-promotion>

Ok I'm totally gonna be that guy again and pimp my own project.

On Tuesday the 16th my band is going to be on Leno playing our version of the holiday song "Sleigh Ride", and Tom Wilson (Biff from the Back to the Future series) will be accompanying us. Check it out if you're bored and need a fix of yet more Christmas music covered in a mediocre fashion by an AppleNova member.

</shameless self-promotion>
CitizenTony

2009-01-18, 10:40

I was just searching YouTube for an old discovery channel commercial that played Sloop John B. While they didn't have that, the third video in the list was a Relient K cover of the song. I knew I'd heard the name somewhere before. You guys are pretty awesome!
johnny5w

2009-01-18, 18:22

Thanks!