User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Argghh! One more iMac glitch.

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Argghh! One more iMac glitch.
JamesG

2004-11-15, 20:28

I'm trying to play a quicktime avi. slide show file, however a window pops up saying that compressor can't be found. I just updated the quicktime player, so I don't understand.

I tried playing the disc on a friend's crappy PC and it played in quicktime just fine.

Thanks again!

James
ast3r3x
25 chars of wasted space.

Send a message via AIM to ast3r3x  
2004-11-15, 20:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesG
I'm trying to play a quicktime avi. slide show file, however a window pops up saying that compressor can't be found. I just updated the quicktime player, so I don't understand.

I tried playing the disc on a friend's crappy PC and it played in quicktime just fine.

Thanks again!

James

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/5758 will play almost any video possible to be played on a mac.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2004-11-15, 20:31

My first guess: it's a DivX-encoded file. In which case, you may download a codec that allows QuickTime to play it:

The vastly superior (and free): 3ivX Delta 4 4.0.4
Or the original: DivX 5.2.1

I highly recommend the 3ivX software for decoding/encoding. I use it all of the time and love it.

Or you can use an entirely different, stand-alone player as ast3r3x suggested.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
ast3r3x
25 chars of wasted space.

Send a message via AIM to ast3r3x  
2004-11-15, 20:34

Brad's method is a little more elegant, but any mac should have VLC on it for video files that QT just doesn't like.
JamesG

2004-11-15, 21:59

Nope, neither worked unfortunately. Me thinks that because the authors created the avi. file using a PC to burn it to disc, it now will not let me view it in OS X, but my friend can on his crappy Dell. Oddly enough, the audio plays just fine, it's just the video that is M.I.A.

Thanks for the suggestions!
James
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2004-11-15, 22:08

That should have nothing to do with it. An AVI file is an AVI file is an AVI file, regardless of the media on which it is stored. It should play the same in any computer, provided the player has the right codec.

Are you sure your friend with the PC is using QuickTime Player to watch the file and not Windows Media Player?

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
JamesG

2004-11-15, 22:37

Dooohhh!
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2004-11-15, 22:51

In that case, if it's Windows Media Player, the file may be using the Windows Media format. WM9 still hasn't been broken by the open source efforts; so, you may be SOL.

Barto
Student extraordinaire

2004-11-16, 05:17

If it won't play in VLC, it must be a really weird format. And I've never seen WMV3 used in an AVI file.
naren
snail herder

Send a message via ICQ to naren Send a message via MSN to naren Send a message via Skype™ to naren 
2004-11-16, 14:40

I have, it totally sucks to deal with. I don't know why people do this......
HowardG

2004-11-17, 11:14

If its a Windows Media 9 AVI file you should be able to play it in Windows Media Player 9 for MacOSX.
JamesG

2004-11-17, 13:24

I've tried all the above suggestions, to no avail. I contacted the company where I got the slide show tutorial from and they said that they have many clients who are Mac users and that they do not have any issues with viewing the content.

They also posted this email in their forum with the hopes that they could solicit help from other Mac users. If ya'll could be so kind, please follow the link below and click on the files to see if you can open them and post back the results here.

Thanks everyone!
James

http://www.nobsphotosuccess.com/comm...opic.php?t=555
MCQ
Veteran Member

Send a message via MSN to MCQ  
2004-11-17, 15:08

Both WMV and VLC choke on this for me. VLC at least notes the fourcc codec, which is MSS2. Search on Google shows it as some sort of WMV9 video, but I guess the Mac version doesn't have this codec included... not sure what would play it.
ShiggyMiyamoto

Send a message via AIM to ShiggyMiyamoto Send a message via MSN to ShiggyMiyamoto  
2004-11-27, 10:42

You may want to try MPlayer. I use that all the time and it plays MOST of those types of AVIs.

http://mplayerosx.sf.net

Get it at the above link.

Good luck.

E-Mail: shiggymiyamoto@gmail.com
Formerly known as Proud iBook Owner 2k2 at AppleInsider.com's Forums
Naruto and Sasuke get it on! http://darwinanime.kicks-ass.net:81/..._to_Naruto.jpg <--- Ohhh YEAH!
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2004-11-27, 13:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiggyMiyamoto
I use that all the time and it plays MOST of those types of AVIs.
It should be noted that he's trying to play an AVI with a WM9 track. Nothing I repeat nothing on a Mac can play that right now. Not VLC, not Mplayer, not even Windows Media Player.

Fortunately these types of files are relatively rare.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2004-11-27, 13:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCQ
Both WMV and VLC choke on this for me. VLC at least notes the fourcc codec, which is MSS2. Search on Google shows it as some sort of WMV9 video, but I guess the Mac version doesn't have this codec included... not sure what would play it.
The so-called codec in VLC is not really a true codec. It only works on Windows and uses, IIRC, DirectX as a "pass-through" and uses the native Windows Media architecture to to all the decoding. So, Mac and Linux users are still left out in the cold.

Barto
Student extraordinaire

2004-11-27, 22:45

I just encountered an WMV3 inside AVI file. Grrr.

Guess I'll have to wait for the next version of VLC too.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2004-11-27, 23:01

In case I wasn't clear enough before , there are no plans to get this working on Mac in the next version of VLC or anywhere on the roadmap for that matter.

The only way it works on VLC for Windows is by piping it through the real Windows Media architecture. That doesn't exist on Mac OS X. That would be like trying to get a Mac OS X program that depends on Core Audio ported to work on Windows. It would have to be a ground-up rewrite of the entire audio infrastructure with lots of new code added to make up for what Core Audio handled transparently.

As far as I know, there isn't any open source software that has "cracked" the current Windows Media format.

Barto
Student extraordinaire

2004-11-28, 00:12

http://nanocrew.net/blog/2004/11/16/#wmv9linux

DVD Jon's been working on WMV3 support for a while, it should be in the next version of VLC.