User Name
Password

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Redesigned MBPs
Partial
Stallion

2011-10-26, 22:09

The next big product refresh in the Cook era will be the MacBook Pros. No, not the minor update that came out a few days ago, but the redesigned models we've been hearing about for awhile.

The current design, although 3-4 years old, is still the de facto beautiful notebook. Having said that, it's looking a little dated in my eyes and I'm ready for something new.

The Ivy Bridge mobile chips out soon are going to have a 35W TDP. The current Sandy Bridge chips are 45W. What does this mean for Apple? Well, for starters, your laptop can charge when you're really cranking on your machine, but besides that, probably not too much.

I'm hoping Apple may delay the refresh for a new chip from Intel: Haswell.

The successor to Ivy Bridge is due out about a year from today. The Haswell architecture is the next tock from Intel, and it promises to be a big one. For starters, it's a 22nm fabrication process, so theres that. The big thing, though, is that these chips are built to sip energy. The mobile class of Haswell chips will have TDP between 10W and 20W. This is a reduction of 72% at the low end of the spectrum (10W).

To me, this has to have Jony Ive licking his chops. These things sip power and don't require a lot of cooling. Imagine the crazy thin designs he could make while still having a ridiculously powerful machine.

Personally, I'm hoping these guys get as thin as the current MBA. I don't see a reason that they couldn't get close.

What are you hoping to see?

...and calling/e-mailing/texting ex-girlfriends on the off-chance they'll invite you over for some "old time's sake" no-strings couch gymnastics...
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2011-10-26, 23:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partial View Post

The successor to Ivy Bridge is due out about a year from today. The Haswell architecture is the next tock from Intel, and it promises to be a big one. For starters, it's a 22nm fabrication process, so theres that. The big thing, though, is that these chips are built to sip energy. The mobile class of Haswell chips will have TDP between 10W and 20W. This is a reduction of 72% at the low end of the spectrum (10W).

To me, this has to have Jony Ive licking his chops. These things sip power and don't require a lot of cooling. Imagine the crazy thin designs he could make while still having a ridiculously powerful machine.

Personally, I'm hoping these guys get as thin as the current MBA. I don't see a reason that they couldn't get close.

What are you hoping to see?
And then there's the flip side of that - more powerful and efficient chips could make their way into the current MBA form factor. If I could get that in a 13" with a 512GB SSD, an external optical and a Thunderbolt-to-FW800 connector, I'd be licking my chops over giving up my early 2011 15" MBP.
Eugene
careful with axes

2011-10-27, 12:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partial View Post
The Ivy Bridge mobile chips out soon are going to have a 35W TDP. The current Sandy Bridge chips are 45W. What does this mean for Apple? Well, for starters, your laptop can charge when you're really cranking on your machine, but besides that, probably not too much.
Except we know that 45W quad-core Ivy Bridge parts will exist, and they will have configurable TDP up to 55W for enclosures built to handle them. My bet is the current MBP stays the same basic size and shape, with up to 45W processors.

Quote:
Apple will undoubtedly release an Ivy Bridge update early next year, and probably a speedbump half a year after that. Ivy Bridge has already been pushed back because Intel has *zero* competition. Haswell will be pushed back too...late Spring 2013 probably?
Matsu
Veteran Member

2011-10-27, 14:30

Does Ivy Bridge bring USB3?
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2011-10-27, 14:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
Except we know that 45W quad-core Ivy Bridge parts will exist, and they will have configurable TDP up to 55W for enclosures built to handle them. My bet is the current MBP stays the same basic size and shape, with up to 45W processors.
They used to use 35W processors, though, so it's possible they'll go back down once they feel the performance is sufficient.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matsu View Post
Does Ivy Bridge bring USB3?
I'm not sure the mobile chipset has any specifics yet.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2011-10-27, 15:17

That's OK, I think my next machine will be an iMac. I wonder if there's any chance we'll see six core mobile CPUs?
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2011-10-27, 15:19

As an Extreme Edition, maybe, but for TDPs acceptable for an Apple laptop, I doubt it.

Last edited by chucker : 2011-10-27 at 16:03.
Partial
Stallion

2011-10-27, 15:38

I predict that Haswell will have an Octo-core laptop. The goal is to take 8 cores mainstream is my understanding. I'm hoping they have hyper threading enabled purely for the hilarity of 16 activity monitor views.

...and calling/e-mailing/texting ex-girlfriends on the off-chance they'll invite you over for some "old time's sake" no-strings couch gymnastics...
Matsu
Veteran Member

2011-10-27, 15:45

Just like to use that as a barometer of where the AIO will go, not that they use mobile CPUs. My real hope is that I'll be able to buy a hexa-core or octo-core BTO iMac next year.