AppleNova Forums » Feedback »

Search function

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Search function
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2005-02-25, 12:54

Read the sticky in Speculation and Rumors-

Agree with Luca 100% about keeping topics focused. However, there was re-occurance of users telling each others to use "search function." I have been here for a while, and I still have no clue where is search function.

If I can't find it right now, we're going to see more and more of rehashs and fuzzy threads because people will either assume there's no search or are too lazy to look for the search tool. (I know, I'm too lazy myself)

So, I'd strongly suggest that AN put search bar in top of any and every page, and if they can get it to be "powered by Google" all the better incentive to get people to search the forums first before they post a repitious post or whatever.

My .02 cents.
ast3r3x
25 chars of wasted space.

Send a message via AIM to ast3r3x  
2005-02-25, 13:14

I preferred it in the menu bar at the top of AN, but I'll live. I'd hate to see you when you have to find a bathroom
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2005-02-25, 13:18

OMG! Where's the bathroom?! Help me find it!

Point remains: If I can't squint my eyes to see this word right in my nose, then we'll be seen more of buffoons that can't squint their eyes and pollute our beautiful AN landscape with "X...we need to talk about this" "when will X come out?" and "When will Banana go banana?"
Paul
Veteran Member

2005-02-25, 13:40

Yeah, I think the search button should stand out a little more as well...

I have had to search for it at times also...
SonOfSylvanus
Fro Productions(tm)

2005-02-25, 16:04

Search button should stay where it is IMO. That bar is for Forum navigation buttons. Search is a Forum navigation function, so its button should remain where it is. The top of the page is for buttons to the different areas of the site: Home, Forums, Think Secret and Store.

Notice that the next bar down after the Forum navigation buttons is for Thread Tools—i.e. As you go down the page, more focussed navigation options become available. All makes sense once you realise this.

bouncy bouncy
LoCash
Rest In Peace

2005-02-25, 16:58

Sylvanus is right, the button will stay where it is. We've made the navigation here more context aware of its positioning. We do have plans to enhance readability in that bar. Originally that bar had more contrast, but SOME people didn't like the background I had chosen for it

It is with great regret that we say our farewells to Jack, who passed away on May 28th, 2005. Jack, you will be missed by all

Superior thinking has always overwhelmed superior force. - Marine Corps Officers

"You don't lead by hitting people over the head-that's assault, not leadership." - General Eisenhower
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-02-25, 18:31

Because of course PURPLE is SUCH an appropriate color for our site's style.
Attached Images
File Type: png SafariScreenSnapz001.png (1.1 KB, 36 views)
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-02-25, 18:54

LoCash's idea was blue.

Suck it, Brad. Shame on you for trying to lie.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2005-02-25, 19:09

Good to know you have plans to enchance readability in that bar.

Just want to clarify that I am aware there's tools and buttons I can use to manage stuff, etc. etc. Just didn't see the Search button until just now.

Two ideas;

Maybe a simple rearrangement is what is needed by putting it to left or near to left, it will be more noticed.

I still have to persist... somehwat out of my habit as a hopelessly backward, inept computer user, I refuse to use any search function if it's not powered by Google. Google is like a certification that it actually works.

But that's only my .02 cents and if you want to mock my ineptness, mock away. And Purple and Blue goes together well. With a hot pink in foreground, of course.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-02-25, 19:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca
LoCash's idea was blue.

Suck it, Brad. Shame on you for trying to lie.
Uh, no. You should have access to www.appleinsider.net. See for yourself. That's all Jack's design.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-02-25, 19:25

Weird. It was definitely blue in the concepts I saw. Maybe there's a purple one elsewhere.

Either way, I don't have access to that site using my AppleNova login information.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2005-02-25, 19:33

Hey, Luca. Let's go out for a few beers and a pizza.

Do you like to dance at all?

What do you say?

Carol

PS - I *promise* not to talk about astrology.

I swear on a stack of bibles.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2005-02-25, 19:49

LoCash is there any chance of adding a text entry box next to the search function? This might draw new members' eyes to the search function as most users are familiar with this concept on web pages. Perhaps because they do not see an area where they can immediately enter a search term their eyes probably skip over the search function in the top nav bar.

I like the forum navigation bar and think it is well positioned - but I don't think enough people notice the search function with just a quick skim of the page. To this end, maybe a text box will draw them to it more successfully. (I'm thinking similar to the Thread search tool - but placed inline in the top nav bar.)