User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

Official Tiger Info from WWDC (and Apple.com)

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Official Tiger Info from WWDC (and Apple.com)
Page 1 of 3 [1] 2 3  Next Thread Tools
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2004-06-28, 12:49

Well, Jobs has let another cat out of the bag. He's said that there are now 12 million Mac OS X users, about half of Apple's installed base. That makes me wonder how many years back Apple counts old Macs in the installed base. After all, Mac OS X has been out for over three years.

You can get all of the gorey details first-hand from Apple.com's Tiger page:
http://www.apple.com/macosx/tiger/

Here are some bits from the conference about this new beast:
  • Planned to ship in first half of 2005.
  • Another 150 new features, some "groundbreaking".
  • Better SMB support.
  • 64-bitness.
  • New feature: Spotlight does system-wide searching with full content indexing within files. Relies on new metadata support in Tiger.
  • Updated MPEG4, h.264 in new version of QuickTime.
  • Updated Safari with RSS feed reader.
  • New tech: Core Image and Core Video. Like Core Audio for sound, they offer real-time image processing with over 100 filters using the GPU instead of the CPU.
  • Updated .Mac integration.
  • New feature: Dashboard is a Konfabulator-like set of widgets that appear and disappear instantly with a keystroke.
  • New feature: Automator brings GUI-driven scripting with drag-and-drop from a list of commands.
  • Updated iChat can talk to multiple people: 10 people in audio, 3 additional in video.
It looks like those screenshots from GNAA were real after all.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
LoCash
Rest In Peace

2004-06-28, 12:51

We're also updating live on http://applenova.com/
amarone

2004-06-28, 13:21

"1417 -- I'm going to get another beer."

Best keynote coverage ever!
InactionMan
Veteran Member

2004-06-28, 13:56

I asked for Robots, Steve gave us Robots.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/tiger/automator.html
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2004-06-28, 13:59

OMFG!

Smart folders have finally surfaced from the old Copland project!

http://www.apple.com/macosx/tiger/search_finder.html
(see the folders in the sidebar)
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2004-06-28, 14:06

Not only is Dashboard an exact copy of Konfabulator, even the "Show/Hide Widgets with a function key" feature was already introduced for Konfab as well!

Cupertino, start your photocopiers.
noleli2

2004-06-28, 14:14

They have been known to buy ideas from 3rd party developers and put them into the OS. Remember SuperClock?
Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2004-06-28, 14:14

Is there any proof that Apple didn't actually make a deal with Konfabulator to incorporate it into the OS? Unlikely I know, but since it seems to be such an exact copy, and since Apple is usually so aware of legal issues involving stuff like this... seemed like a possibility.
ast3r3x
25 chars of wasted space.

Send a message via AIM to ast3r3x  
2004-06-28, 14:17

Not according to the dev of confabulator at least ...unless he was pretending to not let any secrets out about tiger.
LoCash
Rest In Peace

2004-06-28, 14:18

SuperClock was back when Apple would actually write a check to a developer to use their product. Now they just rebuild their ideas into the OS without having to involve accounting. Is it just me, or does the WWDC seem like the absolute WORST place to show developers that you're building their products into your OS.

It is with great regret that we say our farewells to Jack, who passed away on May 28th, 2005. Jack, you will be missed by all

Superior thinking has always overwhelmed superior force. - Marine Corps Officers

"You don't lead by hitting people over the head-that's assault, not leadership." - General Eisenhower
Barto
Student extraordinaire

2004-06-28, 14:20

Either Apple didn't make a deal or the creator of Konfab was doing a really good impression of being pissed off.

Anyway...

1) http://www.apple.com/macosx/tiger/core.html Core Image combined with Automator are most of Photoshop incorporated into the OS. I wonder how Adobe is going to feel about that. Screw 'em I say.

2) Unified metadata. Prepare to bask in it's warm glow in 1st half 2005. Single index for all metadata automatically updated when any file (or file like object that has metadata) changes. Single metadata format with an API and importers/exporters for 3rd party file formats. Two years ahead of Microsoft. Yay my brethren for he hath bequeathed to us a glorious, radiant gift.

The sky was deep black; Jesus still loved me. I started down the alley, wailing in a ragged bass.
Hobbes

Send a message via AIM to Hobbes  
2004-06-28, 14:22

Apple absolutely didn't make a deal with Arlo Rose (creator of Konfabulator) -- proof being that he's rather unhappy right now. As one might expect.

And considering that Konexposé, the feature to instantly hide and show Konfab widgets, was just announced a few days ago, it seems more like two concepts heading the same place.... rather than Apple ripping off Konfab to its very last detail.

However I think the issue is kind of complex, though the issue is more political than ethical, IMO. In other words, Apple has every right to develop what is basically an advanced version of DAs (remember those?); at the same time, as with Watson, when it copies its developers so explicitly, it risks isolating and even destroying developer innovation. (uncomfortable shrug) I don't know. It's a fine line.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2004-06-28, 14:24

Quote:
Tiger’s new system-wide Spotlight search helps you find anything on your Mac, instantly. Spotlight can find email messages, calendars and contacts along with documents, movies, images — any kind of file — all at once. Spotlight results are displayed in easy-to-understand categories that help you browse, pick and click. Finding the stuff you need on your personal computer is now as fast and effortless as searching for songs in iTunes.
"Spotlight" alone makes me swoon. Sigh.
noleli2

2004-06-28, 14:26

Quote:
1) http://www.apple.com/macosx/tiger/core.html Core Image combined with Automator are most of Photoshop incorporated into the OS. I wonder how Adobe is going to feel about that. Screw 'em I say.
All they did was include the filters, which are just mathematical algorithms. I didn't see anything about any software to access them. Developers could write a nice image processing app taking advantage of these, but it's not built in.
InactionMan
Veteran Member

2004-06-28, 14:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by noleli2
All they did was include the filters, which are just mathematical algorithms. I didn't see anything about any software to access them. Developers could write a nice image processing app taking advantage of these, but it's not built in.
iPhoto 5?
MacUsers

2004-06-28, 14:53

Was a price mentioned?
noleli2

2004-06-28, 14:55

And were minimum system requirements mentioned?
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2004-06-28, 14:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barto
People said the same thing when Mac OS X DP 3 was first previewed with the PDF compositor and Sketch.app. Some claimed that we'd have Illustrator-killers on every corner and that Adobe would be pissed.

Did that happen? Nope.

I'd love to see Illustrator- and Photoshop-killers spring up, but it's yet to happen. (No, I don't consider OmniGraffle an Ilustrator-killer, but it is a great app.)

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Hobbes

Send a message via AIM to Hobbes  
2004-06-28, 15:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacUsers
Was a price mentioned?
Same as always, $129.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2004-06-28, 15:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by noleli2
And were minimum system requirements mentioned?
It's not going to be released until the middle of next year! I think it's a little early to be asking this.
Barracuda

2004-06-28, 15:23

Did anyone notice the updated QuickTime logo?

How do I make an attachment of it?
MacUsers

2004-06-28, 15:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barracuda
Did anyone notice the updated QuickTime logo?

How do I make an attachment of it?

You mean that? (press the button with the little mountain at the top then insert the URL to put an image in)

Ya, it's fat now.
BlueRabbit
Veteran Member

2004-06-28, 15:25

Take a look at the Stock Ticker from the Dashboard Preview picture:

Apparently, Apple's stock is up $7.36 to 42.05, and Microsoft is down $1.34 to 18.23. Plus, Microsoft is the only one that is down at all. Is this a subliminal message?
MacUsers

2004-06-28, 15:26

that is great! Nice catch.
Barracuda

2004-06-28, 15:31

Quote:

You mean that? (press the button with the little mountain at the top then insert the URL to put an image in)

Ya, it's fat now.
Yep. That's the one! I don't think I have the little mountain privilege to post attachments. edit: I just checked and I do have that feature, but how did you create a URL for teh new QT logo?

You can compare it the QT logo in your dock to see the differences.
OwlBoy

Send a message via AIM to OwlBoy Send a message via MSN to OwlBoy Send a message via Yahoo to OwlBoy  
2004-06-28, 15:46

Yeah, I noticed that icon right off the bat.

Whats up with the new menu bar too? blue ends?

-Owl
MacUsers

2004-06-28, 15:55

Ya really... it's like the start menu in Windows. Eww.
Escher
Sub-PowerBook Lobbyist

2004-06-28, 16:10

Quote:
Ya really... it's like the start menu in Windows. Eww.
Ugh. I hadn't really noticed. The white Apple logo on Aqua blue looks terribly tacky.

Escher
SonOfSylvanus
Fro Productions(tm)

2004-06-28, 16:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlBoy
Yeah, I noticed that icon right off the bat.

Whats up with the new menu bar too? blue ends?

-Owl
Yeah, YEUCH! And look at this QT from Apples preview pages -- the coloured parts (in this case, "Spotlight" DE-highlights when you click on it

MacUsers

2004-06-28, 16:25

That makes NO SENSE AT ALL. Please reverse it. Storm Apple with feedback.