User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

Cost to replace 12" PB screen?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Cost to replace 12" PB screen?
NosferaDrew
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to NosferaDrew Send a message via AIM to NosferaDrew Send a message via Skype™ to NosferaDrew 
2004-06-05, 13:59

I think I killed my little Powerbook!

It fell off the table, slightly bent the frame near the SuperDrive.
It powers up, but the screen remains black.

Replace the screen or grab one of the newer 1.3Ghz?
Wickers
is not a kind of basket

2004-06-05, 14:21

Sounds like you might have a lose cable. . .
staph
Microbial member

Send a message via AIM to staph  
2004-06-05, 15:28

Why not just take it in and ask for a quote? It might not even be that bad... fingers crossed.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2004-06-05, 16:08

hmm, tough call. i'd bring it in to have them look at it though. can't hurt to have them look. let us know what they say.
NosferaDrew
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to NosferaDrew Send a message via AIM to NosferaDrew Send a message via Skype™ to NosferaDrew 
2004-06-05, 21:04

Just got home from work to attend to the ailing device and now the screen powers up fine along with the computer, but it can't see the hard drive - just a folder with an alternating question mark and happy Mac icon.

The Hardware Test CD can't detect the drive.
DiskWarrior and Tech Tool can't repair it because it's dead.

Maybe another loose cable? Maybe I should take this as an opportunity to upgrade the size/speed of my internal?
Or maybe I'll take it to the Apple Store down at 3rd St or The Grove and give them a shot at it.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2004-06-06, 00:00

NosferaDrew I think the screen is the most expensive component to replace on a PowerBook, so I really feel for you.

Having said this, some may (or may not know) that a similar fate befell my TiPB and for over a year and half, I worked with the side of the screen taped close with electrical tape. It was not pretty - but after hearing that it would cost just as much as a new computer to replace, I resigned myself to thinking that this computer is like a tool for a plumber. I use it everyday and it is bound to get some battle-scars!

However, after two years, my power supply died (I originally thought that it was my Hard Drive making this ticking sound) and so I brought my computer into the local Apple Store. Once they saw it, they couldn't help but notice the state of disrepair that it was in... this model was also suffering from an extreme case of paint chipping - it really was not a good advertisement for Apple. Anyway, they replaced the power supply and at the same time, LONG STORY SHORT, the tech sent images to Apple Australia and they said replace the screen and whole top case (b/c the paint chipping was a known issue). This baby now looks practically brand new and I have a new mantra along the lines of a "precision" worker looks after his tools!

All I want is a simple life
twitter

Last edited by Mac+ : 2004-06-06 at 00:04. Reason: I misspelt Nos's name
NosferaDrew
Veteran Member

2004-06-06, 03:07

Wow, nice ending to your ordeal, Mac+, but my LCD works now - it's just the HD that's dead.

I've found a couple of guides to take my PB apart and toss a new one in there, but it's no easy task, so I'm weighing my options before I make a move.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2004-06-06, 07:21

:embarrass Yeah, um, sorry about my spiel there. I got on a roll and just thought I'd share it with the community, but I should have read your post more carefully. Obviously your screen is working... :kicks self:

As to replacing the HD, I'd be more inclined to let the folks at an Apple Store give it the once over, before I attempted anything myself - but that's just me.

Btw, did you purchase AppleCare - b/c if so, maybe you can get this covered by the agreement?

All I want is a simple life
twitter
NosferaDrew
Veteran Member

2004-06-06, 18:53

Unfortunately, I did not get AppleCare with my PowerBook.
I'm not sure if this would be covered, but I guess it's irrelevant at this point.

I'll probably just take it into an Apple Store, but I'm guessing that they'll simply tell me that the HD is hosed.

I'll weigh the cost of Apple replacing the HD against me buying a larger one and putting it in myself.

I've got a DVD backup of my Home folder, so it won't be completely painful if I can't get the existing HD to work.

Ah well, these things happen. I just miss my PB - I'm down to only my XP gaming machine at home!
EDS66

2004-06-06, 21:58

Not quite on the topic, but I sold my PB 12 rev B today or $1,299. Will be buying 15' shortly.