AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Powerbook Oddnesses.

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Powerbook Oddnesses.
mkalus

Send a message via AIM to mkalus  
2005-04-26, 13:09

Hello fellow travellers....

I have some weirdness with my Powerbook.

The first thing is that the mouse (external) occasionally just "jumps" all over the screen. I haven't figured out why. It's a Microsoft optical mouse by s+ark.

The second problem is with the display, it seems that the brightness fluctuates at times. It is really irritating, like the old CRTs when your refresh rate was set to low. It doesn't always happen and I would attribute this to the light sensor for the keyboard.

Anybody else having those experiences? I am wondering if I should get Apple involved now, or wait?
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-04-26, 13:22

On what kind of surface are you using that mouse? If there's any shine, reflectivity, or transparency to it, that can confuse the optical sensor.

Regarding the lighting, have you tried turning off the ambient light sensor?

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
mkalus

Send a message via AIM to mkalus  
2005-04-26, 13:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
On what kind of surface are you using that mouse? If there's any shine, reflectivity, or transparency to it, that can confuse the optical sensor.
It's a normal wooden desk, not very reflective, though there is some "grain" in it, maybe that's confusing the sensor?

Quote:
Regarding the lighting, have you tried turning off the ambient light sensor?
I tried it with it off and on and it seems to happen regardless... A short maybe?
fneeb

2005-04-26, 17:39

I get the screen brightness thing with mine, but it's definitely light sensor related as if I cover up both sensors on my 15" pb just slightly, the brightness dips but doesn't activate the backlit keyboard. It's only when I cover them fully that the brightness drops to the low light setting, and the keyboard illumination kicks in.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2005-04-26, 17:51

i have an MS optical mouse connected to my PC downstairs on a wood grain desk, does the same exact thing. it's really annoying. now that i know i'm not alone, maybe i'll try putting something down there to provide a better surface for it.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-04-26, 17:55

Now that I think about it, back when I lived in the dorm I had to keep a sheet of paper under my MS IntelliMouse because there were gouges in my desk making it skip too.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
elvia

2005-04-26, 19:13

Just where are these ambient light sensors located???
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2005-04-26, 19:36

To tell you I would need to kill you and then stuff your eyes into the speaker grating...

The answer is somewhere in there.
midwinter

Send a message via ICQ to midwinter Send a message via AIM to midwinter  
2005-04-27, 00:24

I have the same problem on two Macs, and my Dean was having the problem on her PB the other day.
fneeb

2005-04-27, 02:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvia
Just where are these ambient light sensors located???
On the 15" model (new one), there's one under each speaker grill at the display end.

I found mine by covering different bits with my hands - took me a while to figure out that there are two and the overall light reading takes into account a sum of the signals these provide.
slyinthedam

2005-04-27, 07:51

I too had the problem with the fluctating screen brightness. It only started with 10.3.8. Still not fixed in 10.3.9.