Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Help with photo management

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Help with photo management
Phoenix
formerly "trav"

2007-08-19, 08:28

Hi guys and gals. I was hoping some of you might be able to help me with a few issues I'm having. I take photos for a living and have previously used finder and spotlight to manage my photos. However over the last few months i have been doing some sport photography and have hundreds of photos each week. I am looking for the best way to manage my workflow. I'll go through how I work so you can get an idea.

I'll take the photos from a sports day (usually 3-4 games). Then i'll copy them from my nikon D200 camera to a folder in the pictures folder in finder. Then once that's done i open up bridge and go through the photos and delete the ones that are out of focus, or just plain ordinary. Once that's done i note the names of the photos needing cropping (usually it's only cropping, not anything major like levels etc.) and open them in Photoshop and crop them and save them. Once that's done i open them in Graphics Convertor and save a copy as a lower quality version for a web site.

Basically i'd like to have a program that does this a bit easier than the way I'm doing it now. I use bridge to go through the photos because i can get a large view of each photo and can delete them very easy. I'd like to be able to open the photo's, delete the bad ones, crop the ones needing to be cropped and save them, all in one program if possible. Then i was hoping there was some way i could Automate opening them in Graphics Convertor and saving them for the web.

I was contemplating using Aperture (i already own a copy, but decided i didn't like it for what i needed a while ago) as that seems like it would do all of the things i need it to do. Then use Automator or something similar to get a web copy. The one thing i don't like about Aperture is the fact that the photos seem to be all stored in the Aperture Library. I like to have the photos easy to access through finder and find the Library in Aperture doesn't allow me to do this. I could be wrong about the library though.

Also if Aperture is the easiest program to effectively do what i need, what would be the best way to import all my current photos? I believe there are several different import settings and want to get it right the first time.

Sorry it's taken so long to get out, but i wanted to be fairly thorough.

Thanks
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2007-08-19, 08:41

Adobe Lightroom does what you need. You can leaf through the pictures quickly, mark them as rejects or picks, and then crop them in the same application (and also apply lots of other settings). There is also a batch export for your website, which can export just the picks or all the images you didn't delete. You can also do very nice side-by-side comparisons to pick the best shot, do spot editing, and a whole lot more directly in LR.

I haven't used Aperture, so I don't know how it compares. But the workflow in Lightroom is awesome, IMHO.
chucker
β€½

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2007-08-19, 08:50

Indeed, both Aperture and Lightroom are perfect for sorting out, rating, etc. huge amounts of images.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
The one thing i don't like about Aperture is the fact that the photos seem to be all stored in the Aperture Library.
As of 1.5, you get to decide per-image whether to store it within the library (either as a copy or moved) or as a reference. So, you're not constrained to the library bundle at all. Plus, there's offline support, so you don't need to keep all images on available media at all times either; it can generate previews for you so you can scrub through images that aren't currently online.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2007-08-19, 09:09

I've never used Lightroom but I love Aperture for it's photo management. It really streamlines the entire process you're talking about.

You've got to let go of managing your photos in the way you have. I can't imagine using the finder for any sort of photo management - you can't see any of your metadata! How is that even remotely satisfactory?

Install Aperture and update it to 1.5.3. Use it to store references to your photos and give it a try. After a while, you may let go of the need to manage your files' locations and just use the library to do it for you. I have and it greatly simplifies everything. However, offline files are fantastic since you can span your photos over multiple volumes and manipulate the meta data with ease.

Use either Aperture or Lightroom. There will be a learning curve but it'll be worth it.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2007-08-19, 09:38

I'm a champion of Aperture too. I haven't used Lightroom, but I've heard it has the same feature set.

From your workflow description, you need one of the two listed. You have way too many steps and you loose a whole lot of time in your current method.

The way I do it is to have an Automator workflow that detects a card being inserted and then downloads them to a folder organized by RAW and JPEG. In the RAW folder I also have it copy in a set of Adobe DNG converters to "future proof" the RAW images. Once the folder hits about 4GB I burn it to a DVD for archive. I weed after they are burned to ensure I don't accidentally delete an image I really could need. So now I have many images on DVD that Aperture will tell me which disk I need to put in if I need to use the master copy.

This keeps my Aperture library physically small and yet I have access to good quality previews of all the images.

Quote:
Also if Aperture is the easiest program to effectively do what i need, what would be the best way to import all my current photos? I believe there are several different import settings and want to get it right the first time.
I forgot the answer this one in my post; you can keep your current archive style and just have each session saved as it's own project or you can use multiple folders in one project. When you import them, be sure to select to import "In Current Location" in the right hand pane of the import window.

Projects are limited to 10,000 images though so you might use a combination of methods for projects and folders. I have one project that handles my "Family" images and them a project for each class. For my event shots I do one project per shoot. This way I don't accidentally merge events. The only exception to this is a known sequence that is spread over time.

Louis L'Amour, β€œTo make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.

Last edited by turtle : 2007-08-19 at 09:58.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2007-08-19, 09:45

I store all my photos in my Aperture library on an external drive specifically for them. Keeps everything handy regardless of whether I'm at home or on the road. You never know when you need to give a copy to a relative, etc. I use Aperture's vaults to back up everything to 2 other external drives, just to be sure I have a copy of everything. I don't delete photos, generally. I just "reject" them. I'm sure one day I'll want to clean out the rejections but for now, I just don't have to see them. Completely different workflow from turtle's but Aperture handles it just as smoothly.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2007-08-19, 10:54

Hi Trav.

First, have you had a career change - I thought you used to be a video editor or something? Congratulations if you have, though. I think having a career in photography would be great.

Next, I couldn't help but think whilst I read your post - and echo what others have said - this can all be done with Aperture or Lightroom. I personally use Aperture and can vouch that it would indeed improve your workflow.

Versions above 1.5 will let you store your files how you want - either within the "magic box" of the Aperture library or as referenced files, according to your own folder structure.

It will also automatically save web versions for you. Look at some plug-ins too, depending on where you publish your photos online.

Give it another shot. Once you learn it I'm positive you won't go back to how you were used to working.

All I want is a simple life
twitter

Last edited by Mac+ : 2007-08-19 at 22:49. Reason: changed last comma to a full stop
Mac+
9" monochrome

2007-08-19, 11:10

Also, bookmark http://www.bagelturf.com/ for very helpful tutorials related to Aperture.

I also subscribe to "Inside Aperture" as a podcast. You might find it a helpful resource too.

All I want is a simple life
twitter

Last edited by Mac+ : 2007-08-19 at 22:49. Reason: removed a 'for'
Phoenix
formerly "trav"

2007-08-19, 19:43

Firstly, thanks everyone. I suspected those two programs were what i was after. I did a fair bit of searching through google and found a lot of info, but really wanted other people's experiences. I still have Aperture but i think it's an older version. I'll update it and see how i go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
I've never used Lightroom but I love Aperture for it's photo management. It really streamlines the entire process you're talking about.

You've got to let go of managing your photos in the way you have. I can't imagine using the finder for any sort of photo management - you can't see any of your metadata! How is that even remotely satisfactory?
It's the most painful process. I've had very little time lately to sort out something better though. At the moment i just needed to get the job done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac+ View Post
Hi Trav.

First, have you had a career change - I thought you used to be a video editor or something? Congratulations if you have, though. I think having a career in photography would be great.

It will also automatically save web versions for you. Look at some plug-ins too, depending on where you publish your photos online.

Give it another shot. Once you learn it I'm positive you won't go back to how you were used to working,
Yep i've had a bit of a career change. I was working for a major company doing their films. They asked me to do some photos for PR reasons after a while. I did photography at uni so i wanted to get back to doing what i loved more than film. So after a while i bought my own gear (a D200, some lenses you recommended and a few others). I wasn't happy with the company i was working for so i left and moved down with my brother. I still do the films sometimes, but not near as much as photography.

Quote:
Also, bookmark http://www.bagelturf.com/ for very helpful for tutorials related to Aperture.

I also subscribe to "Inside Aperture" as a podcast. You might find it a helpful resource too.
I actually had a bit of a search through iTunes' podcasts and found this one.

Aperture sounds like it's perfect for my current workflow. Especially as the latest versions don't need me too store the photos in the Library. I just don't like that for some reason.

If anyone knows wether Aperture exports a web friendly JPEG easily that would be great to know before i get too involved as well.

Thanks again!
chucker
β€½

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2007-08-19, 19:53

Quote:
If anyone knows wether Aperture exports a web friendly JPEG easily
Sure. Even just drag&drop will do that. You can set up Export presets in Aperture to define what kind of quality level, dimensions (if changed at all), etc. you normally like.
Phoenix
formerly "trav"

2007-08-19, 21:02

Excellent. Well this should be perfect then. I have over 900 pictures from the last few days, so this should be a good time to see if i can get my head around it all.

Thanks again everyone!
Mac+
9" monochrome

2007-08-19, 22:48

re: web friendly exporting
Quote:
Also, congrats again on the career change.
Phoenix
formerly "trav"

2007-08-20, 06:26

Ahh i missed that the first time around!

And thanks!
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2007-08-20, 08:48

There's also another thread over in Purchasing Advice that you might find useful.