User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

Mac OS X 10.6: Snow Leopard...and then what?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Mac OS X 10.6: Snow Leopard...and then what?
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
Aero Kaizer

2009-07-01, 00:35

Hello. Yes, I am new, but I really just wanted to get this out of me.

I'm starting to feel that Apple is starting to get a little desperate for names. First Leopard, now Snow Leopard? Odd. But what really got me curious, is what is going to come after that? There are only so many cats in the world, we're going to run out eventually. The way I see it, I think we've got four names left (unless someone can give me more): Lion, Lynx, Bobcat, and Ocelot. Now, obviously, I doubt anyone from Apple is looking at this going "Ooh, smart idea.", but really. I don't know if it's already on Mr. Jobs' mind at all, but it's something to consider.
Also, after Apple produces Mac OS X 10.9: [cat species here], then what? What do we move into Mac OS X 11.0 with? Dogs? Could be problematic, and I don't think anyone's want to buy something as long-winded as "Mac OS X 11.0: Yorkshire Terrier". Something's going to be done about that.

Side note: I'm honestly getting bored with this rather boring menu bar on the top of my screen. Translucency or no, something's going to have to be done. I had an idea, a few hours ago, about maybe a tightly knit triple-helix around the top, with the Apple menu in the center, and you could be able to customize each of the helixes with a color palette. At least that would break up the monotonous grey/white we've had since at least Panther.

Smaller side note/rant: Also, who else want's to bring the glass aesthetic back, besides me, huh? Brushed metal bores the hell out of me.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2009-07-01, 00:37

Welcome to AppleNova, Aero.

I'm moving this thread over to the Speculation and Rumors forum since it's not a subject of current or past products.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2009-07-01, 00:50

That said, Snow Leopard seems a reasonable name since 10.6 is being marketed as a fine-tuning of 10.5 rather than a whole new beast.

As for future names? Yeah, there are only a few big cats left, but I think the real question is how long Apple will keep with the "Mac OS X" moniker. Another five years? Ten? Apple has done a fantastic job of incrementally rewriting the core technologies of the OS to allow it to evolve without needing a singular wholesale replacement or rewrite, unless there's some top-secret new desktop metaphor hiding in the wings. So, there's probably not going to be a technical reason to change names in the near future. It would probably be a marketing-driven decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero Kaizer View Post
I had an idea, a few hours ago [...] with the Apple menu in the center [...]
Well, the Public Beta had a useless Apple icon in the center. Discussions at the time of putting the menu in the center quickly led to the realization that it's a terrible idea. It would collide with the variable number and width of application menus and it would lose the infinite effective width and height of being in the corner (see Fitts' Law).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero Kaizer View Post
Smaller side note/rant: Also, who else want's to bring the glass aesthetic back, besides me, huh? Brushed metal bores the hell out of me.
Where is there any brushed metal left? The only thing I could think of would be some old third-party apps rolled in custom skins.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-07-01, 01:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
The real question is how long Apple will keep with the "Mac OS X" moniker. Another five years? Ten? Apple has done a fantastic job of incrementally rewriting the core technologies of the OS to allow it to evolve without needing a singular wholesale replacement or rewrite, unless there's some top-secret new desktop metaphor hiding in the wings. So, there's probably not going to be a technical reason to change names in the near future. It would probably be a marketing-driven decision.
Yeah...Apple's gonna have to pack in some really whiz-bang features when they finally make the jump to Mac OS XI. Or not. Maybe it will be a purely marketing-driven change, I dunno. But expectations will be high.

FWIW, I recall Jobs announcing OS X as the Mac platform "for the next fifteen years." That would put OS XI at 2016 or so, about seven years away. Of course, he could have said that merely because Mac OS Classic was approximately fifteen years old at the time.

10.5: 2007
10.6: 2009
10.7: ~2011
10.8: ~2013
10.9: ~2015
11.0: ~2016+

So it fits. And yes, I know that version numbers aren't decimals, and they could go to 10.10 if they wanted to (or go to 11.0 next year). But I don't think they'll want to.

Regarding the OP: Who's to say they'll have to name the OS XI point releases after animals at all? Hell, who's to say that they'll have to publish their codenames at all? Maybe Jobs's successor (!) will decide that naming operating systems after fuzzy animals is unprofessional and they'll just have "Mac OS XI Version 11.1". Or maybe they'll name them after planets, or flowers, or elements, or scientists, or characters from Tintin. Hell if we know.

I agree that naming OS XI point releases after dogs seems to make sense (I would think they would do "big dogs," like wolves and such, just like they do "big cats" now, so no Yorkshire Terrier), but there's really no way we can establish a pattern with just the OS X codenames. Mac OS Classic releases were named after composers. If you asked us back then what they'd name OS X releases after, I don't think any of us would say "big cats!"
zsummers
Avast!

2009-07-01, 01:30

There is a simple solution to the naming dilemma. There are seven perfectly good dwarf names available. Mac OS XI: Sleepy!
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2009-07-01, 08:04

Welcome, Aero (interesting name) and let me be the first to say that you either need a summer job, or a hobby if you can't find a summer job. Don't worry: I'm sure Apple will come up with clever ways of naming its OS for years to come, cat-like or otherwise.

...into the light of a dark black night.
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2009-07-01, 08:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by zsummers View Post
There is a simple solution to the naming dilemma. There are seven perfectly good dwarf names available. Mac OS XI: Sleepy!
There are dozens of Smurf names, too. We'll be fine! Mac OS XXXVIII: Papa!
Aero Kaizer

2009-07-01, 09:46

Oh, wow. I wasn't expecting such a response overnight xD

Quote:
Welcome to AppleNova, Aero.

I'm moving this thread over to the Speculation and Rumors forum since it's not a subject of current or past products.
Thank you :3

Quote:
That said, Snow Leopard seems a reasonable name since 10.6 is being marketed as a fine-tuning of 10.5 rather than a whole new beast.

As for future names? Yeah, there are only a few big cats left, but I think the real question is how long Apple will keep with the "Mac OS X" moniker. Another five years? Ten? Apple has done a fantastic job of incrementally rewriting the core technologies of the OS to allow it to evolve without needing a singular wholesale replacement or rewrite, unless there's some top-secret new desktop metaphor hiding in the wings. So, there's probably not going to be a technical reason to change names in the near future. It would probably be a marketing-driven decision.

Well, the Public Beta had a useless Apple icon in the center. Discussions at the time of putting the menu in the center quickly led to the realization that it's a terrible idea. It would collide with the variable number and width of application menus and it would lose the infinite effective width and height of being in the corner (see Fitts' Law).

Where is there any brushed metal left? The only thing I could think of would be some old third-party apps rolled in custom skins.
Alright, I hadn't thought about the Snow Leopard thing. I mean, I knew that Snow Leopard was essentially an extension of Leopard, but I guess I never made the connection xD

As for the Apple menu, yes, I gave it a thought, I eventually knew that wouldn't work with a direct implementation, but maybe if the application menus were just below the menu?

Oh, sorry about the brushed metal thing, I guess I was a bit tired and mistook matte grey for brushed metal xD Still bored with it, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman View Post
Yeah...Apple's gonna have to pack in some really whiz-bang features when they finally make the jump to Mac OS XI. Or not. Maybe it will be a purely marketing-driven change, I dunno. But expectations will be high.

FWIW, I recall Jobs announcing OS X as the Mac platform "for the next fifteen years." That would put OS XI at 2016 or so, about seven years away. Of course, he could have said that merely because Mac OS Classic was approximately fifteen years old at the time.

10.5: 2007
10.6: 2009
10.7: ~2011
10.8: ~2013
10.9: ~2015
11.0: ~2016+

So it fits. And yes, I know that version numbers aren't decimals, and they could go to 10.10 if they wanted to (or go to 11.0 next year). But I don't think they'll want to.

Regarding the OP: Who's to say they'll have to name the OS XI point releases after animals at all? Hell, who's to say that they'll have to publish their codenames at all? Maybe Jobs's successor (!) will decide that naming operating systems after fuzzy animals is unprofessional and they'll just have "Mac OS XI Version 11.1". Or maybe they'll name them after planets, or flowers, or elements, or scientists, or characters from Tintin. Hell if we know.

I agree that naming OS XI point releases after dogs seems to make sense (I would think they would do "big dogs," like wolves and such, just like they do "big cats" now, so no Yorkshire Terrier), but there's really no way we can establish a pattern with just the OS X codenames. Mac OS Classic releases were named after composers. If you asked us back then what they'd name OS X releases after, I don't think any of us would say "big cats!"
Ahah, you've got a point. I can certainly see Mac OS XI being named after big dogs:

Mac OS XI 11.0: Wolf
Mac OS XI 11.1: Fox
Mac OS XI 11.2: Husky

And so on. Although, to be honest, if Apple stopped naming releases, I'd probably get a little bored, to tell the truth. Mac OS XI: 11.1 Just doesn't have the same ring to it as Mac OS XI 11.1: Fox (or whatever).

Quote:
Originally Posted by zsummers View Post
Lol xD I can definitely see a homebrew Mac OS being called that :3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogs View Post
Welcome, Aero (interesting name) and let me be the first to say that you either need a summer job, or a hobby if you can't find a summer job. Don't worry: I'm sure Apple will come up with clever ways of naming its OS for years to come, cat-like or otherwise.
Thank you :3 (By the way, I'm not referring to Vista with it, I had this name locked LONG before Microsoft did xD)

I'm a bit of a programmer/hacker as a kind of permanent hobby (nothing serious, more homebrew things than anything.) Although I am looking for a summer job :3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
There are dozens of Smurf names, too. We'll be fine! Mac OS XXXVIII: Papa!
Oh, God, yes. You, sir, have won ALL of my internets.

Ending note: Long post is LOOOOOOONNNNGG.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2009-07-01, 10:09

I think Apple should go bad-ass and name their osseses after the Decepticons and then have the intro movie directed by Michael bay so it can blow shit up!

Miko
Veteran Member

2009-07-01, 10:36

Ahh this brings up the release date of the mythical Sabertooth OSX version#? Or Apple can fall back on the Duggar family kids names, that will give them another 17 years at least right?
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2009-07-01, 10:48

17? Ha! In those 17 years, they'll crank out another dozen or so. Perpetual naming scheme!
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to Fahrenheit  
2009-07-01, 13:34

Fyi, Apple has also registered the big cat names 'Lynx' and 'Cougar', so they are probable names for future releases.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2009-07-01, 13:47

MacOS X 10.8: Cougar, MILF Edition.

pscates will be *thrilled*!
Gargoyle
http://ga.rgoyle.com

2009-07-01, 17:35

They are just waiting for MS to copy their idea and release Windows "Garfield", then Apple will move onto the next naming convention.

I actually like the shiny black effect on the new QuickTime. I would like to see that system wide, or even better - have a decent theme implementation so that we can all pick our own! It's about time there was more to choose from other than Blue and Graphite!

OK, I have given up keeping this sig up to date. Lets just say I'm the guy that installs every latest version as soon as its available!
¡Damned!

2009-07-01, 17:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miko View Post
Or Apple can fall back on the Duggar family kids names, that will give them another 17 years at least right?
Or grandkids.

They're like that fucking ant colony that Moogs talks about in another thread. BE AFRAIDS!!!
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2009-07-01, 18:03

I knew this thread sounded familiar:

http://forums.applenova.com/showthread.php?t=7321
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2009-07-01, 18:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
MacOS X 10.8: Cougar, MILF Edition.

pscates will be *thrilled*!
Niiice! I think it's been long enough that most people have forgotten all about the Cougar. Apple could emblazon the box with picture of a hottie in her 30s with an Apple mini-skirt. Salma Hayek would work.

¡Damned!

2009-07-01, 18:18

Quote:
Apple could emblazon the box with picture of a hottie in her 30s with an Apple mini-skirt.
Quote:
Salma Hayek would work.
*whistles*

"One of these things is not like the other, one of these things isn't the same"

*I'd still do Selma.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2009-07-01, 22:50

Errr? Is Salma not in her 30s? I dunno but last i saw of her she was pretty hot.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2009-07-01, 22:56

She is 43.

And I don't care one bit. Rowr.
evan
Formerly CoachKrzyzewski

Send a message via AIM to evan  
2009-07-01, 22:58

naming aside, anyone familiar with how OSes REALLY work, can you guys give us any ideas at to what sort of innovations would constitute a major upgrade to OS XI from X? I can't really see apple giving it a huge appearance overhaul but sticking with everything being the same underneath (with the customary tweaks in the rest of the revision).
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2009-07-01, 23:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKrzyzewski View Post
naming aside, anyone familiar with how OSes REALLY work, can you guys give us any ideas at to what sort of innovations would constitute a major upgrade to OS XI from X? I can't really see apple giving it a huge appearance overhaul but sticking with everything being the same underneath (with the customary tweaks in the rest of the revision).
Well, as I mentioned before, at this point it's probably just going to be a marketing decision.

The past major revisions in Apple's OS history have been part technological advancements/enhancements and part marketing. Some "minor" upgrades have had major sweeping tech updates when compared to the "major" upgrades and some "major" upgrades have been spun as such for marketing or legal reasons (such as the Mac OS 8 jump to kill the clone program).

What could be spun as a something worthy for a "major" name change from a tech perspective, though? My guess would be a new sort of interface to replace the Finder and Dock. What exactly that would be, I couldn't guess, but it seems they are the most obvious elements since they're so old (at least conceptually) and are the most user-facing elements of the operating system. I'm not talking minor changes like the customization or tack-on features that PathFinder offers but something that completely changes the way we interact with our files and running programs. Spotlight scratches the surface of a possible replacement in how it allows users to find and access files from anywhere, and I think that its concept could be greatly extended and advanced into "the next big thing".

However, it's worth noting that Apple is somewhat anchored by its UNIX core from changing too much. The inner guts will have to mostly behave the same as they do now or else POXIS compliance goes away and the tons of available advanced user functionality (such as things one can do in the Terminal) and developer resources also vanish or have to be changed.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Partial
Stallion

2009-07-02, 00:15

Part of me wonders when they will run out of new functionality that they can add. The OS is pretty damn good as it is. I can't imagine a killer feature that I'd like added. Maybe an improved finder, where clicked apple-n or some key command can launch a new window or something. Perhaps built in SFTP.

...and calling/e-mailing/texting ex-girlfriends on the off-chance they'll invite you over for some "old time's sake" no-strings couch gymnastics...
thegeriatric
geri to my friends

2009-07-02, 06:02

Quote:
Niiice! I think it's been long enough that most people have forgotten all about the Cougar. Apple could emblazon the box with picture of a hottie in her 30s with an Apple mini-skirt. Salma Hayek would work.
Salma Hayek indeed. You guys are so shallow...........(googles picture of Salma Hayek)............ L00k at the Baz00kas on that!
isurf

2009-07-02, 06:50

Right now, we are expecting snow leopard!
Doxxic
Veteran Member

2009-07-02, 14:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partial View Post
Part of me wonders when they will run out of new functionality that they can add. The OS is pretty damn good as it is. I can't imagine a killer feature that I'd like added. Maybe an improved finder, where clicked apple-n or some key command can launch a new window or something. Perhaps built in SFTP.
Same here. There has been a time I thought they were considering getting rid of the Finder. The combination of spotlight and in-app file management in all the iLife apps made me think so.
But now I agree the Finder will stay and be improved with all kinds of nifty things. After all, it can do things other Apps can't.
Stacks seem to be getting more and more powerful, I like that.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2009-07-02, 14:04

Data soups.

Newton had them, they worked *beautifully*.

Ditch the file-based system completely, and use meta-data to organize your stuff. Map folders -> metadata and back if someone wants to use a traditional file-based view, but also allow for pub/sub access from users and/or apps, and metadata-derived tagging.

Most of the pieces to do this are there, they just need to be put together into a *coherent* whole.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2009-07-02, 14:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doxxic View Post
Same here. There has been a time I thought they were considering getting rid of the Finder. The combination of spotlight and in-app file management in all the iLife apps made me think so.
But now I agree the Finder will stay and be improved with all kinds of nifty things. After all, it can do things other Apps can't.
Stacks seem to be getting more and more powerful, I like that.
I don't know, I've started to think that Apple might use stacks as a way of replacing Finder. Stacks look far more functional in Snow Leopard, so much so that there would be fewer times you would need to use the Finder itself. Of course even with the added functions in 10.6, it isn't there yet, but it could be with a little more work.
Partial
Stallion

2009-07-02, 19:24

Quote:
OMG, I was at work today and was demostrating how this should be in place... and bam! New window. Apple has read my mind, or I've read Apple's mind. Perhaps I've become the most powerful person in the world. A turing machine of a man, if you will.

...and calling/e-mailing/texting ex-girlfriends on the off-chance they'll invite you over for some "old time's sake" no-strings couch gymnastics...
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2009-07-02, 20:02

Quote:
OMG, I was at work today and was demostrating how this should be in place... and bam! New window. Apple has read my mind, or I've read Apple's mind. Perhaps I've become the most powerful person in the world. A turing machine of a man, if you will.
Wait, what? Command-n for new window has been there since 2001. Maybe my sarcasm detector needs fine-tuning!