User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

Does anyone here have a SSD drive in your MacBook Pro?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Does anyone here have a SSD drive in your MacBook Pro?
BlueApple

2010-02-05, 10:47

Does anyone here has a SSD drive in your MacBook Pro?

1.) As SSD is still relatively new, I'm worried that it's not matured enough, and better off with the 7200-rpm 500GB drive instead.

2.) Also, how much faster when compared to the 7200-rpm drive?

P.S. I'm not talking about aftermarket SSD, I'm talking about the one Apple offers.

Thanks.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2010-02-05, 10:51

I can tell you it will be a world of difference - although I don't have one. MBHockey had a Vertex one, I don't know who's Apple ships in their MBPs.

I am waiting until I hear more about TRIM support in OS X. And the next generation of Intel drives which should be significantly faster, more spacious, and cheaper; using the new 25nm fab process.

User formally known as Sh0eWax
screensaver400
Veteran Member

2010-02-05, 12:11

From what I understand, the ones Apple ships are a pretty bad deal. They're both significantly slower and more expensive than the drives you can get aftermarket (Intel and OCZ being some of the best).
rdlomas

Send a message via AIM to rdlomas Send a message via Yahoo to rdlomas  
2010-02-05, 14:35

I can't speak about the Apple SSD's, other than to say that most reviews peg them as inferior to the aftermarket models. Why even bother with the Apple model?

I've had a 120 gb OCZ Vertex since they came out. The firmware just keeps getting better and I've never had any issues.

It screams. Simply put, you will *never* go back to a normal HD once you get a good SSD. It is just magical. Love it. Absolutely love it.

Oh, and compared to a 7200 rpm standard HD? It's not even in the same league. Seriously. Buy an SSD and don't look back.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2010-02-05, 14:58

While I don't have anything to contribute, I do plan on eventually trying to upgrade my MBA to an SSD after the AppleCare runs out next year and prices of SSDs come down a little bit more.

I can't wait to see the difference.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2010-02-05, 15:12

I want to upgrade my Mac Pro to an SSD for the boot drive. I still want the price/capacity ratio to get better first, but it's definitely something I want to do. If I ever get an MBP I'll definitely put an SSD in it. The speed difference is staggering.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2010-02-05, 17:41

I have a SSD in my Dell Mini 9 (after market 32GB) and an Intel X25 in my Beast. Both are hackintosh systems and scream with the SSD. I put the drive in a MacBook I have to play with and it was awesome in there. I currently have 500GB drives in both of my MBs but I'm willing to drop the capacity for the speed and stability the SSD gives.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Escher
Sub-PowerBook Lobbyist

2010-02-05, 19:14

Interesting! The HDD in my 12-inch PowerBook failed. I was toying with the idea of installing an after-market SSD instead of junking the PB. On newegg.com, they're pretty cheap these days.

So Intel and OCZ are the brands to go for?

I've been waiting for a true sub-PowerBook for more than 10 years. The 11-inch MacBook Air finally delivers on all counts! It beats the hell out of both my PowerBook 2400c and my 12-inch PowerBook G4 -- no contest whatsoever.
joveblue
Veteran Member

2010-02-05, 19:27

MacBook Pros are due for an update soon. SSDs seem to be due for a significant price-drop from Apple. But then again no one really knows what they will do. But if you're purchasing a new MBP and you can afford to wait a few months I'd say it's definitely worth holding off and with any luck Apple's SSD prices will suddenly be a lot more reasonable.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2010-02-06, 00:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escher View Post
So Intel and OCZ are the brands to go for?
if you're gonna go by brand I'd suggest Intel. If you buy a low end OCZ chances are you could end up with a slow controller. Like I mentioned above, you should be aware of the TRIM issue and that performance degrades over time. AFAIK Apple doesn't have a wiping utility. Because of the way SSDs access and write memory it is a completely different ball game than traditional platters.

Edit: I just noticed you said 12" PB, if you really wanna waste the cash and see what happens you could probably pick up a Kingston drive for around $120, with manufacturer discount $80 (don't know if they're still offering it).
screensaver400
Veteran Member

2010-02-06, 02:16

The 12" PowerBook uses IDE, not SATA, as far as I know. You'll need to find a compatible SSD, which may be hard. IDE is significantly slower than SATA, and some of the faster SSDs come close to even maxing that out.

So, for a 12" PowerBook, an X-25 or Vertex would probably be overkill. IDE would keep you from seeing the benefits. And, of course, neither have IDE versions (again, as far as I know).
Majost
monkey with a tiny cymbal

2010-02-06, 03:21

The absolute best source on this subject is Anandtech. He put together an absolutely amazing roundup of the SSD market last spring, and discovered some very serious flaws. I think he actually caused a big shakedown in SSD controller tech. This past fall he did an update. They are complete novels, but both are very good reads, with the newer one more directly relevant to products you'd purchase (but the first one does a stellar job explaining the issues). And one last update on December 31 with some newer products.

Apple uses a Samsung as their SSD drive. It's decent. It doesn't have any of the major issues Anand first found and it will blow away rotary drives, but there are many SSDs available that are faster.
Escher
Sub-PowerBook Lobbyist

2010-02-08, 06:13

Thanks, everybody, for the pointers on SSD drives!

If I were to "upgrade" my 12-inch PowerBook with an SSD, it would really be for the fun, not speed. At this point, the PB12 serves for Web browsing and as a travel DVD player for the kids. So performance doesn't really matter.

Key criteria would be low cost (around $100) and easy installation. I'm looking for a drop-in solution that I can install myself. My hardware experience is limited to memory upgrades and replacing a transistor in a fried original AirPort Base Station some years ago.

Is Newegg still a good source for hardware parts?

I've been waiting for a true sub-PowerBook for more than 10 years. The 11-inch MacBook Air finally delivers on all counts! It beats the hell out of both my PowerBook 2400c and my 12-inch PowerBook G4 -- no contest whatsoever.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2010-02-08, 08:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escher View Post
Is Newegg still a good source for hardware parts?
Yes, but often times I've noticed Amazon is able to best Newegg's price on SSDs for some reason. YMMV.
hmurchison
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to hmurchison  
2010-02-08, 13:26

I'm looking at the new Sandforce based SSD from OCZ and others. It's the first controller that can best Intel's controller and there are some nice redundancy features which make it very reliable even in preproduction models.

If I'm going to go SSD, I want premium performance. I'll likely buy a 27" iMac next year with a fast Quad Core proc and toss in one of the best performing SSD at the time and I should be good to go.

Bonus: if I get Light Peak I'd be thrilled.

omgwtfbbq
ast3r3x
25 chars of wasted space.

Send a message via AIM to ast3r3x  
2010-02-09, 09:10

I got a samsung a few months ago and I really enjoy it. As with any new fast piece of hardware, it seems blazing at first and then you get used to it and wonder if it is slowing down or you just want the next best thing. I don't regret it at all, my only beef is 128gb wasn't big enough, and any bigger was too expensive. I am considering upgrading to a newer drive and throwing the old one in my optical bay on my MBP, prices haven't really changed, but I'd love to try a different brand just to see what it does for me.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2010-02-09, 09:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ast3r3x View Post
As with any new fast piece of hardware, it seems blazing at first and then you get used to it and wonder if it is slowing down or you just want the next best thing.
Well it is slowing down.
malcolm

2010-02-10, 09:09

Can anyone tell me what's the biggest SSD drive (capacity-wise) you can put in a MBP?
Malcolm
Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2010-02-10, 17:33

Currently the capacity limitations are on the SSDs themselves, not the MBP. The largest one you can get right now is 512GB, and those cost between $1500 and $2k.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2010-03-27, 20:31

I'm looking at the new Crucial C300. Anyone still using an SSD?

Can any of you guys comment on how significant the performance degradation is? After a few months of use is it still significantly or noticably faster than a hard disk drive?

I'm concerned about these things, especially if I'm about to lay out ~$600.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2010-03-27, 20:44

I'm still using them in the machine I mentioned above and they are still running great. I haven't noticed any drop in speed though it could be there. The still run super fast compared to my HDD based systems.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2010-03-27, 20:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle2472 View Post
I'm still using them in the machine I mentioned above and they are still running great. I haven't noticed any drop in speed though it could be there. The still run super fast compared to my HDD based systems.
Have you disabled Spotlight, SmartSleep or done anything like that? Some people recommend it, I'm not convinced.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2010-03-27, 23:51

Nope, I live on the edge and I'm not convinced either. In all fairness, my Dell Mini 9 doesn't have heavy file use so I'm not worried about it there in the least. I pretty much only use it to watch movies with that are stored on my flash drive.

Beast does get used on a wider level but I don't disable anything. I did at first, but now I have it run normally. I'm just to used to Spotlight being there for me. Maybe I'll regret it in a few years...but not likely.

Majost

2010-03-28, 14:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maciej View Post
I'm looking at the new Crucial C300. Anyone still using an SSD?
I too thought it looked like one of the best 256GB drives... but then I read this worrying article from Anand. It sounds like it has very serious firmware issues, and historically Crucial has been very poor on Mac updaters.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2010-03-28, 14:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majost View Post
I too thought it looked like one of the best 256GB drives... but then I read this worrying article from Anand. It sounds like it has very serious firmware issues, and historically Crucial has been very poor on Mac updaters.
Yeah, I'm aware of that too. Although it doesn't concern me too much, I haven't read an enormous amount of outcry about this problem, I don't think I'll get one just yet.

I'm also not sure if his benchmarks are based on the 6Gbps controller... or if that would make much difference for our notebooks since they only allow a maximum 3Gbps throughput.

Ultimately I think I'll wait a little longer before getting one, I'd like to see what Intel's next generation is going to be capable of.

I do need 256GB, or as much space as I can get.

Actually, I should take that back. I need to write up a list of pros and cons before I decide what to do.

User formally known as Sh0eWax

Last edited by Maciej : 2010-03-28 at 15:10.
Majost

2010-03-28, 20:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maciej View Post
I'm also not sure if his benchmarks are based on the 6Gbps controller... or if that would make much difference for our notebooks since they only allow a maximum 3Gbps throughput.
In the original article where he first tested the drive (before it bricked), he ran it in both 3Gbps and 6Gbps modes.

I just wish Intel would hurry up with a 250GB+ drive.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2010-03-28, 21:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majost View Post
In the original article where he first tested the drive (before it bricked), he ran it in both 3Gbps and 6Gbps modes.

I just wish Intel would hurry up with a 250GB+ drive.
Aahh, that's the article Ive been looking for but somehow forgot to read.

On the second thing, yes I am with you on that.