AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

Apple iPad: long-term impressions

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Apple iPad: long-term impressions
Page 1 of 8 [1] 2 3 4 5  Next Last Thread Tools
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2010-08-01, 07:40

We have an initial impressions thread, but I'm interested in what owners think of their iPad after using it for months. Nothing scientific, but I'd love to know:

1. the two features that most impressed you
2. the two features that most disappointed you
3. the thing that most differed from your expectations, whether positively or negatively surprising you
4. how long you've used the iPad

Any takers?
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2010-08-01, 08:35

Okay.

I'll start with #4, because that's easiest: I've used the iPad since the day it came out! I use it more than I use my Mac mini because it's, well, portable, and also funner. The feature I use most is Safari.

#1. Hmm...everything was pretty much what I expected it to be, since I had been an iOS user for a year already and since I devoured all the iPad videos before it came out. I think what most impresses me is how they fit everything in there, and how it's so intuitive. I realize those aren't "features," though. I think as for features that wowed me the most, I'd say Maps (that really was the "wow" moment for me, it's so much better than on the iPhone, it feels like holding a magical paper map*, haha!) and, um, Safari. But maybe I'm easy to please. And things like battery life, of course. Also, the speaker sounds better than I thought it would, since it's, y'know, tiny. (Still for "casual listening" only, of course.)

2. Hmm...nothing really comes to mind, unless you count finnicky WiFi when it first came out. I haven't used it as much for ebooks as I thought I would, but that's not really the device's fault (I had been previously spoiled by E Ink). I kind of wish it were easier to jump to a specific date in the calendar app...but that's all I can think of.

3. From what I can tell, even if you make your wallpapers 1024x1024, they still lose quality when "zoomed in" -- wallpaper-izing an image seems to essentially crop it to 1024x768 or 768x1024, depending on orientation, and either way it loses quality when the center of that image is blown up to be the wallpaper for the alternate orientation. I'm kind of surprised Apple would be so inattentive, in that regard, since the selling point really is the (beautiful) 9.7" IPS screen.

So...yeah. The iPad was pretty much exactly what I was expecting, which might make this response boring, but I think that's one of its strengths -- anyone familiar with iOS will be at home immediately, and even for newbies there's not much to learn. "Deceptively simple," as the saying goes. I should add that I was expecting quite a lot from the iPad, and I wasn't at all disappointed. I'm very pleased with mine, and I can't imagine not having one now.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong

Last edited by Robo : 2010-08-01 at 08:47. Reason: *) Mischief managed.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2010-08-01, 08:41

Does the wallpaper/background spin around (and the app icons re-orient themselves) on the iPad? I honestly had no idea. I just thought you used the thing horizontally when it made sense, while in a particular app (movies, etc.). But are you saying the home screen itself (the icons, the top time/WiFi/battery status bar and Dock) all turn sideways (horizontally oriented), along with the wallpaper?

That would get aggravating. Do the icons realign themselves or "fold back" and and lay out differently, then? I think I kinda like the iPhone approach, where the home screen remains vertically oriented at all times, and you only turn the thing sideways when you're in an app that supports or requires it.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2010-08-01, 08:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
Does the wallpaper/background spin around (and the app icons re-orient themselves) on the iPad? I honestly had no idea. I just thought you used the thing horizontally when it made sense, while in a particular app (movies, etc.). But are you saying the home screen itself (the icons, the top time/WiFi/battery status bar and Dock) all turn sideways (horizontally oriented), along with the wallpaper?

That would get aggravating. Do the icons realign themselves or "fold back" and and lay out differently, then? I think I kinda like the iPhone approach, where the home screen remains vertically oriented at all times, and you only turn the thing sideways when you're in an app that supports or requires it.
Yes. And what kinda sucks about that is that the Springboard icons change their arrangement. (iOS 4 has a similar flaw in Folders: the mini-icons show a 3x3 grid, but an actually open folder is 4x3 — so not only does it not necessarily show all icons; as soon as you have more than three in one folder, it arranges them differently!)
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2010-08-01, 08:58

I like that the background re-orients itself; I just kind of wish it didn't lose quality when doing so -- as far as I can see, there's no way to make the background not be substandard quality half the time.

But yeah, the moving icons tripped me up at first. (Especially since they're all the same shape, and half of them are the same color, with the exact same web 2.0 bubble shading...) I've gotten used to it, but it still takes me longer than it probably should to find apps in landscape.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2010-08-01, 09:33

Yeah, that's where I was coming from...it's a bit of a usability issue, and a small stumbling block to speedy, efficient iPadding. Yes, if I add or remove apps on my iPhone, the icons shuffle themselves around accordingly. But a) I don't do that much, and b) when I get on iOS 4, with the folders, that might not be so much of an issue (I plan to corral a bunch of things together into sensible, categorized folders and try to get my 3-4 home screens down to two).

But when I turn my phone sideways, the home screen stays put, and icons don't shuffle around. That would truly drive me crazy. You'd think, in all their wisdom (and ability to add various features and preference settings) Apple would have some sort of "Home Screen always remains vertical" pref setting for those who preferred their stuff not move all over the place, and look different, every time they tilt the iPad. Maybe that'll be in the iPad version of iOS 4?

Sorry, not derailing thread (in my defense, I'm not doing schtick or wandering too far out-of-bounds)...I truly didn't know the iPad worked that way.

Carry on...I'm done (sorry, Dorian).
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2010-08-01, 09:34

Quote:
But when I turn my phone sideways, the home screen stays put, and icons don't shuffle around. That would truly drive me crazy. You'd think, in all their wisdom (and ability to add various features and preference settings) Apple would have some sort of "Home Screen always remains vertical" pref setting for those who preferred their stuff not move all over the place, and look different, every time they tilt the iPad. Maybe that'll be in the iPad version of iOS 4?
Aren't you essentially describing the hardware rotation lock, except only applying to Springboard?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2010-08-01, 09:37

Yeah, I guess. But that's probably the area where I'd like it most.
onlyafterdark
Sucker for shiny objects

Send a message via AIM to onlyafterdark  
2010-08-01, 09:52

1. How well the core apps look and feel when using them. Browsing the web with Safari is absolutely awesome, especially forums that look terrible on mobile phones.

The keyboard in landscape mode also blew my mind as it was actually usable after a few attempts. I would still like Apple to use a vibration for a keystroke like Android phones, but the click sound will do for now.

2. iBooks. Surprise, surprise, Canada got the shaft on that one. It wasnt until just recently that we could buy books at all. Luckily Amazon fulfills all my needs in buying ebooks and syncs with my N1 and PCs. Love it!

No swiping to move from one month to the next in the Calendar app. Seems completely backwards since iOS is all about swiping and gestures.

3. Safari crashes, and it does it very often when looking at multiple pictures on Facebook, Picasa, and Flickr. Safari will restore to the site but it is always a bunch of pictures back from what I was looking at before the crash.

Lack of memory is also a big problem as having multiple windows open in Safari causes continual reloading of the pages as you jump from window to window. It is extremely annoying if you are trying to do anything productive with the iPad and has basically made me want to go back to my PC to do anything work related just to skip the headache.

One final thing, why cant we have editing on mobile devices for things like Google Docs? I dont understand what the hold up is, I would just like it fixed.

4. I have had it since opening day here in Canada.
CitizenTony

2010-08-01, 09:53

1. Battery life and the pretty screen.

2. The software, I'd have liked to see widgets or something to fill in the lock screen. The way iPhone apps work, especially now that they're being made in much higher resolution, the iPad still upscales them horribly. I'm sure Apple will address this in 4.0. 4.0 is the most disappointing thing so far. It's brand new and already lacking in some major areas behind the iPhone 4. I wish they added more RAM and were able to get 4.0 out faster. And there really should have been a camera on the front.

3. Not much really, I knew what I was buying and have been wanting something like it for many, many years.

4. Since day one.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2010-08-01, 13:40

Here's another question:

5. how does typing (and text editing) compare with using a "real" keyboard

In the very short stretches I've used an iPad, my typing speed slowed down tremendously. I'm wondering how long-time users have felt about this. After a couple of years with the iPhone, I can type decently, but I've given up on any amount of editing with the horrid touch-based interface. There just doesn't seem to be enough precision for editing text. I think the lack of arrow keys contributes significantly to that.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
CitizenTony

2010-08-01, 15:30

I do fairly well on the onscreen keyboard when it's in landscape mode and It didn't take too long to get used to. I'm nowhere near as fast or efficient as I am with a real keyboard and mouse though, and I don't think I ever will be. There just isn't enough feedback.

Editing is a real chore, one that I think would be helped with some arrow keys in the keyboard. Having to wait for dialogs to popup under my finger is slow and cumbersome and quickly breaks up any chance of a decent flow.

In short, I save any real typing work for the laptop.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2010-08-01, 17:39

The landscape keyboard is just fine. The portrait keyboard isn't so good -- it's too large for thumb-typing and too small for touch-typing. But I've largely stopped bringing my Bluetooth keyboard around with me...it's paired to my Mac mini pretty much permanently now. The landscape keyboard is "good enough" for everything but Xtreme Novel Writing -- I've written some of my longest posts here with just the iPad.

Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2010-08-01, 18:06

I like portrait keyboard better. I can't seem to get accustomed to the landscape spacing, I always hit "n" instead of the space bar. I don't know how you guys can touch type on it without any tactile feedback. In portrait mode I can use my thumbs to reach every character, only a few require extra stretch.

I use mine probably about 3-4 hours per day, since launch day. I don't create diddly squat with it though, just consume.

User formally known as Sh0eWax
Eugene
careful with axes

2010-08-01, 19:28

The only thing I dislike about the iPad is the weight. For me at least, iPad is just beyond what might be comfortable as a handheld device for long durations.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2010-08-01, 19:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
The only thing I dislike about the iPad is the weight. For me at least, iPad is just beyond what might be comfortable as a handheld device for long durations.
I can see where you're coming from. Unlike the iPhone this iPad is usually resting on something when I use it. Holding it in midair might get a little annoying after time.

thegeriatric
geri to my friends

2010-08-01, 19:46

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maciej View Post
I can see where you're coming from. Unlike the iPhone this iPad is usually resting on something when I use it. Holding it in midair might get a little annoying after time.
The 5.6 or 7inch should fix that.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2010-08-01, 20:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegeriatric View Post
Or the new Kindle. Half the size, two thirds the thickness, a third the weight, a quarter the price, and a better screen for long-term reading anyway. I guess I'm the only one who doesn't think that Apple's going to introduce a bunch of smaller iPads at, uh, the same prices as the iPod touch...

...especially not this year (!!!). But I'm clearly outvoted on that one, so hey.

Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2010-08-01, 20:35

I'm with you Robo, on all points of the post.
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2010-08-01, 20:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegeriatric View Post
mmmm let's hope so.
Eugene
careful with axes

2010-08-01, 23:56

Quote:
If I'm reading for pleasure, I'm sitting on a couch or at my breakfast table. In neither situation would a stand be very helpful. Propped up on the breakfast table, I would be forced to hunch over instead of sitting with decent posture or in a reclined position.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2010-08-02, 00:28

Quote:
If I'm reading for pleasure, I'm sitting on a couch or at my breakfast table. In neither situation would a stand be very helpful. Propped up on the breakfast table, I would be forced to hunch over instead of sitting with decent posture or in a reclined position.
I don't quite follow. I think you're agreeing that the ipad being heavy isn't good for reading but I'm not quite sure.
Eugene
careful with axes

2010-08-02, 01:42

Quote:
I don't quite follow. I think you're agreeing that the ipad being heavy isn't good for reading but I'm not quite sure.
You were saying your iPad is typically resting on something when you use it. The only thing a good book is resting on when I'm reading is my hand.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2010-08-02, 01:56

Quote:
You were saying your iPad is typically resting on something when you use it. The only thing a good book is resting on when I'm reading is my hand.
Exactly! I consider the iPad as a less than ideal reading device, for long stretches of enthralling reading at least. I think I didn't make myself sufficiently clear at first - and forgot that I was actually agreeing with you, since you made the weight comments first. I didn't go back up to reread until I read the post I'm quoting above.

As to comment about your observations on resting it on the table and such; I must agree as well. The only comfortable resting spot I've really found is when laying on my back. Just propping the tablet on my chest while holding it. The weight isn't a huge issue until I get into it something that takes a little while (I suspect the time would be variable for most so there's no point in even trying to provide one).

Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2010-08-02, 03:25

Thanks for the very interesting replies, all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
3. From what I can tell, even if you make your wallpapers 1024x1024, they still lose quality when "zoomed in" -- wallpaper-izing an image seems to essentially crop it to 1024x768 or 768x1024, depending on orientation, and either way it loses quality when the center of that image is blown up to be the wallpaper for the alternate orientation.
Surprising!

Quote:
Sorry, not derailing thread (in my defense, I'm not doing schtick or wandering too far out-of-bounds)...I truly didn't know the iPad worked that way.

Carry on...I'm done (sorry, Dorian).
I didn't know the iPad worked that way either.

Quote:
The iPad looked so light in Apple's videos that I was surprised by its heft the first time I picked one up. It's half the weight of a netbook with a similar battery life, but of course that's still heavy compared to a paperback - and even a paperback can be annoying heavy after an hour. I suppose we'll have to wait for even greater processor efficiency before the weight can be significantly reduced.

I last had a cigarette on the 31st of May, so I've already saved about half the price of an iPad on cigarettes not bought. An iPad is far from a necessity for me, but it might be a nice reward for putting up with the abject misery of not smoking.
jcoley2
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to jcoley2  
2010-08-02, 05:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Here's another question:

In the very short stretches I've used an iPad, my typing speed slowed down tremendously. I'm wondering how long-time users have felt about this. After a couple of years with the iPhone, I can type decently, but I've given up on any amount of editing with the horrid touch-based interface. There just doesn't seem to be enough precision for editing text. I think the lack of arrow keys contributes significantly to that.
I actually find I can type faster on my iPhone than my iPad which is not what I expected.
Eugene
careful with axes

2010-08-02, 05:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian Gray View Post
The iPad looked so light in Apple's videos that I was surprised by its heft the first time I picked one up. It's half the weight of a netbook with a similar battery life, but of course that's still heavy compared to a paperback - and even a paperback can be annoying heavy after an hour. I suppose we'll have to wait for even greater processor efficiency before the weight can be significantly reduced.
I think it's a combination of the weight and dimensions that make it feel even heavier than it is. Even a hardbound book is box shaped so that the center of gravity is closer to the palm. The iPad ends up putting a lot of weight on the fingertips.

New battery technology maybe because I think more efficient processors will more likely lead to more powerful iPads rather skinnier ones. Maybe Apple should invest in carbon fiber lay-up machinery to produce their next generation portables. Mmm...
Eugene
careful with axes

2010-08-02, 05:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoley2 View Post
I actually find I can type faster on my iPhone than my iPad which is not what I expected.
Makes sense though. We all essentially hunt-and-peck with on-screen keyboards so the less travel we make with both our fingers and eyes lends itself to better WPM.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2010-08-02, 05:26

Quote:
Makes sense though. We all essentially hunt-and-peck with on-screen keyboards so the less travel we make with both our fingers and eyes lends itself to better WPM.
That's not really true. Touch typing is harder on these keyboards, but there is a lot of muscle memory that comes into play when you've used the keyboards enough.

As for it, being too heavy for lengthy reading - you're holding it wrong. Seriously, though, I've been using mine since day one and I've been reading kindle books on it for at least that long, in addition to the hours of time I spend surfing. My only complaint is in the "at the breakfast table" scenario where my hands are occupied and there's no good way to prop it up. Laying it flat is an option but it's not a good reading angle. I haven't figured out a reasonable position for it in those situations.

My biggest annoyance with the iPad is the paging out of Safari tabs. It's terrible when you've got a form up in one page and you navigate away for a second and the form gets reloaded, empty. It's bad enough that if I had known about the issue before getting the iPad, I would have given it a second thought. I really hate it when my pages reload.

My second biggest disappointment is in the software library. Software for the iPad is too expensive to be a fun browsing/buying endeavor. On the iPhone, I could just browse around and find an interesting app and buy it without a second thought. On the iPad, software is 3-4 times more expensive. Needless to say, I'm not going to drop $7-10 just because a couple of preview pics look interesting. Developers need to go back to the "make it up on volume" thing that works so well on the iPhone.

The biggest surprise for me (and one that highlights my annoyance of the page reloads), is the fact that my iPad has almost completely replaced my MBP. I bought a bluetooth keyboard for long typing and just carry that around with me for when I need it. I've got 2.5 lbs in my bag rather than 5 and about as much "power" as I need to write.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2010-08-02, 07:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Here's another question:

I got partially into your post and was going to reply that lack of arrow keys kills text editability. But you covered that. For those without an iPad, think of having to use the mouse instead of arrow keys, every single time you needed to move the cursor from its current position. It's annoying, especially since with a virtual keyboard there could be a layout with arrow keys.