User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

Will apple release another version of mac mini in the June conference...

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Will apple release another version of mac mini in the June conference...
viji_99

2005-04-22, 09:15

How are the chances of apple releasing a new version of mac mini with built in mic in the June conference. And also the two button mouse. I'm just thinking if I can postpone my mac mini purchase till the June conference for this. Would appreciate yr thoughts. Thank you.
Paul
Veteran Member

2005-04-22, 10:01

eleventy billion percent.

And the Mm does not come with a mouse anyway.
Wraven

2005-04-22, 10:02

Signs point to maybe.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-04-22, 10:31

I think if they simply bumped them all to 512MB RAM out of the box, 5400rpm drives and perhaps a 64MB graphics card of some sort, many who are "on the fence" about these minis (both current Mac users and switchers alike) would easily make the leap.

I have no doubt that the reason many folks are holding off is the current 256MB, slower laptop hard drive and the graphics card (I've read this at numerous forums and sites since the mini's introduction in January).

If they think the mini is selling well NOW, change those three things above and watch what happens!

It would be VERY hard to pass up.
MCQ
Veteran Member

Send a message via MSN to MCQ  
2005-04-22, 10:38

WWDC? I see zero reason for them to wait for WWDC to announce it... if something happened to be ready around that timeframe, I'd just expect a random Mon/Tues/Wed announcement during June, not necessarily during WWDC.
Koodari
Veteran Member

2005-04-22, 11:58

What's the point of a microphone inside a desktop? A nice Logitech headphone/mic combo is what, $20?

Line in would make a lot of sense for iChat though.
Koodari
Veteran Member

2005-04-22, 12:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0
I think if they simply bumped them all to 512MB RAM out of the box, 5400rpm drives and perhaps a 64MB graphics card of some sort, many who are "on the fence" about these minis (both current Mac users and switchers alike) would easily make the leap.

I have no doubt that the reason many folks are holding off is the current 256MB, slower laptop hard drive and the graphics card (I've read this at numerous forums and sites since the mini's introduction in January).

If they think the mini is selling well NOW, change those three things above and watch what happens!
Otherwise I'm in total agreement, but I think what you're asking for is not a mac mini but a different product, a full featured midrange desktop. $1000 for a single G5, 512MB memory, 80+GB 7200rpm desktop HD, Radeon 9600 class GPU or whatever they put into the next iMac. (Not long ago I wrote that Mobility Radeon 9700 from current Powerbooks might fit the bill because of energy/heat considerations, the power would also be about right.) I believe this leaves the normal Apple profit margins intact.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-04-22, 12:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koodari
Otherwise I'm in total agreement, but I think what you're asking for is not a mac mini but a different product, a full featured midrange desktop.
Uh, no I'm not.

Nowhere did I mention a G5, 7200rpm drive, etc. And I certainly am not calling for FireWire 800 and hardcore high-end graphics.

All I'm really "asking for" is the mini, if possible, to not be so lacking in a few key areas. Those key areas are the only reasons I see given by people - professional review writers and message board posters alike - as to why they haven't bought one or give it a full "5 out of 5" rating.

The eMac (and, I suppose, the low-end, entry model iMac G5) serve as that $1,000-ish "mid-range desktop". I don't think a third model needs to swoop i there!

viji_99

2005-04-22, 13:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCQ
WWDC? I see zero reason for them to wait for WWDC to announce it... if something happened to be ready around that timeframe, I'd just expect a random Mon/Tues/Wed announcement during June, not necessarily during WWDC.
I agree with you. But I thought the mac mini and the ipod shuffle were launched during the apple conference (I may be wrong).
viji_99

2005-04-22, 13:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koodari
What's the point of a microphone inside a desktop? A nice Logitech headphone/mic combo is what, $20?

Line in would make a lot of sense for iChat though.
Can the logitech headphone/mic work without a audio-in on the machine? yah I use yahoo and msn chat a lot. At times with voice. I looked at the USB mic option but it looks expensive to me.
viji_99

2005-04-22, 13:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0

It would be VERY hard to pass up.
I agree with you completely. To start with, this is the exact config I'm looking for. But I'm not going to wait beyond June to get my pet dog!
Kiren

Send a message via ICQ to Kiren Send a message via AIM to Kiren Send a message via MSN to Kiren Send a message via Yahoo to Kiren  
2005-04-22, 16:41

I wouldn't even need the faster hard drive, just a more recent gpu (5200 or higher, no pref on ram) and either 512mb base ram or two ram slots. I'd have to buy one

Last edited by Kiren : 2005-04-23 at 00:04.
MCQ
Veteran Member

Send a message via MSN to MCQ  
2005-04-22, 19:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by viji_99
I agree with you. But I thought the mac mini and the ipod shuffle were launched during the apple conference (I may be wrong).
They were - at Macworld, which is a consumer-oriented conference. WWDC is a developer oriented conference, so they don't typically announce consumer-oriented products there. There are exceptions like the iSight video cam that was unveiled at WWDC in 2003, but I don't see a particular reason for them to announce a simple mini update there.
viji_99

2005-04-24, 19:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCQ
They were - at Macworld, which is a consumer-oriented conference. WWDC is a developer oriented conference, so they don't typically announce consumer-oriented products there. There are exceptions like the iSight video cam that was unveiled at WWDC in 2003, but I don't see a particular reason for them to announce a simple mini update there.
Oh I din know this. Thanks for the info. Looks like it doesn't make sence to wait till June.