Password
AppleNova Forums » Creative Endeavors »

PCT: The Delicious Dish (May 15, 2010)

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
PCT: The Delicious Dish (May 15, 2010)
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2010-04-16, 20:15

The last couple of challenges have mostly focused on finding elements outdoors. This time you'll probably find yourself looking indoors, but outdoor settings are perfectly acceptable too. The theme for this month's challenge is The Delicious Dish. Let's see some really tasty treats. I'm hoping to see some breakfast, lunch, or dinner settings or even preparations in the kitchen or out on the grille.

Make us hungry! Make our mouths water! Maybe even inspire us to try cooking up a new dish.

Same rules apply as before:
  • No heavy editing, cropping, HDR, or other manipulations. Straight out of camera is preferred.
  • Photos must be taken during the month in which the given challenge is active.
  • Each month will be judged by the winner of the past month.
  • It's not about the technically perfect shot, but the image which 'gets the message through'.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
AWR
Veteran Member

2010-04-23, 11:06

Considering all He does for us...we need to fill this PCT up (it'll come of course). To get the ball rolling, a breakfast shot, taken with a Panasonic point and shoot, straight out of the camera (i.e., no processing (could use a crop perhaps)).

By way of background: this is breakfast for one central Portugal style, served at an "agroturismo" (farm house that takes guests, really) I stayed at a couple of weeks ago on a cycling trip. I was surprised at the meticulous preparation (and quantity!). Six different farm-made jams, as well as a huge fresh cheese. Ham, turkey, cheese, three kinds of sliced salami/chorizos, bread out of the oven, massive pot of coffee, another of warm milk, and a fresh orange juice. As if it wasn't enough, I'll add a picture of the fruit (non-entry) that they had to place on the table next just in case....

Chinney
Veteran Member

2010-04-23, 20:31

Like the theme. My wife is a dish, so I'll see what I can do about a photo. Meanwhile I am not sure that AWR's photos qualify, strictly-speaking, because of when they were taken, which is too bad, because that's exactly the sort of thing I would like to sit down to eat.

When there's an eel in the lake that's as long as a snake that's a moray.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2010-04-23, 21:56

An excellent start! I'm glad this thread didn't get completely forgotten.

I do like your opening work, AWR, but Chinney is right about the timing. Official entries should be taken during the month of the competition. Part of the motivation of the PCTs is to get people out and experimenting with taking new photos and the timing rule is one way to keep things fresh.

That said, unless we get some more contributions, I may consider bending the rules!

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
AWR
Veteran Member

2010-04-24, 04:17

Ah, yes, the rules.

Completely forgot about them; absent that recent trip, I don't think I've done anything not in a rush in years! It is a key rule though for the motivation factor, so I am happy that it serves just as a bit of publicity for this PCT, and I hope to return with a timely shot!! Looking forward to your photo, Chinney!
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2010-04-24, 11:19

Not a great start but this is some great chicken! I took it with my camera phone because it was handy so it's certainly not my entry, but something to show I'm thinking about the thread.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Chinney
Veteran Member

2010-04-24, 18:35

Don't worry about the lack of entries Brad. I recent experience is any guide, most of them will come the last week, if not the last day!
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2010-04-24, 20:50

True, true.

If you guys are having trouble and need any inspiration, take this bad boy in.

You're welcome.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2010-04-24, 20:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
True, true.

If you guys are having trouble and need any inspiration, take this bad boy in.

You're welcome.
You're really cutting corners by cutting that donut in half.

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2010-04-24, 22:46

If I hadn't just had dinner I think I'd be really hungry looking at these images.
AWR
Veteran Member

2010-04-26, 01:54

What on earth is that, Brad? Must be a Google image, you can't have made that. Your chain mail suit would be easier to eat!
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2010-04-26, 03:27

It looks like a doughnut with KFC chicken on it.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2010-04-26, 07:52

KFC Double Down + Krispy Kreme doughnut = "Luther Fried Chicken Double Down"
sebatlh

2010-04-27, 14:10

Ok, here is a dish I made yesterday. I need more practice shooting food. Or maybe, I need to put more effort in. But it's difficult when your hungry to set everything up with light and stuff. One gets sort of impatient

The shot would have been a bit better if I had gotten closer, but this is almost as close as I can get with this camera

Recipe
Spoiler (click to toggle):
Boil some pasta
Put in plate or similar
Add ham + tomato halves
Mix
Decorate with more tomatoes, salami and mozarella cheese (the four blobs on the side)
Pour some double(?, 40% stuff anyway) cream on and season with oregano
Cover with grinded cheese
Put in oven until the cheese turn delicious :-)
GSpotter
Veteran Member

2010-04-27, 23:38

Great topic and a real challenge - at least for me: My wife wouldn't be happy if I'd bring my camera to the dinner table. Maybe I'll be able to take a snapshot with my phone. But so far, my breakfast has to stand in:

My photos @ flickr
The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he ever receive either. -- Benjamin Franklin
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2010-05-14, 13:09

Bump, looks like there are only a few hours left... and I still need to get some shots!
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2010-05-14, 16:50

I'll have to see about getting a shoto f my coming dinner, but it's just pizza.
Chinney
Veteran Member

2010-05-15, 12:57

Midnight Pacific Time (North America) is the deadline, by my recollection. I'll have mine in.
evan
Formerly CoachKrzyzewski

Send a message via AIM to evan  
2010-05-15, 14:30

Stuck in Williamsburg with no computer... nuts
Chinney
Veteran Member

2010-05-15, 20:35

Bean salad. I love bean salad.

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2010-05-16, 00:46

No cooking here, but popcorn does make my mouth water!

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2010-05-16, 00:55

So few entries! I'll allow until the latest possible hour to get your photos in: GMT -12.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2010-05-16, 13:47

And the winner is:

Chinney!

I love the setup and composition of your bean salad photo. The wrought iron looking spoon handles and the wooden table make it feel somehow old, yet the rich variety of colors and contrast of the food and bowl bring the image to life and feel like it's right there ready for me to reach out and grab. The lighting is also spot-on. When/where did you take it? I was guessing maybe near a window in the morning hours, but then I'd expect shadows to be a little harsher.

Also, bonus points for serving up a photo that makes bean salad look appetizing to me despite my never having wanted/had a bean salad like this before.

Honorable mention goes to AWR's photo(s). You showed off a really lovely, elegant experience that anyone would be jealous of.

Most interesting dish goes to sebatlh's photo. I'm not sure whether that looks really delicious or really gross. I'm guessing it's one of those things that tastes a lot better than it looks. Advice for next time? Try photographing in whiter light, changing your camera's white balance setting, and/or add something to the photo complementary/opposite the color wheel of red because it looks like everything is washed with a red/purple hue.

AWR
Veteran Member

2010-05-16, 14:46

That's a great looking salad, Chinney!! Love those beans too. Nice shot, I love that there's a modest portion in the bowl - just enough.

Thanks for the compliment and nod Brad - I look forward to the next PCT to stimulate my photographic juices!!
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2010-05-16, 15:37

I want that bean salad.

Also, congrats!
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2010-05-16, 16:55

Congrats Chinney! While I don't like the food choice (I'm a red meat guy. ) I do like the shot. As Brad mentioned I like the handles with the table. Very rustic looking.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Chinney
Veteran Member

2010-05-16, 22:16

Thank you very much. It would have been nice to have a few more entries, given that it is a topic that faces us all 3 times a day (more, counting snacks). But I'll gladly accept this month's award just the same.

That pic was taken just after lunch, with a bean salad that I had put together myself. The photo was actually of the leftover. I took the bowl off of the table and put it on the wooden floor beside the patio door to get just a bit more light (the DP1 is not a good low-light camera, and I don't like to use flash). The serving spoon and fork were a wedding gift, I believe - received many years ago now, but still doing their job. The bowl is from a pottery shop in Nova Scotia, in the town where my parents live. I had not thought of the possibility of that being my photo when I served the salad, but after, when it was sitting in the bowl on the countertop, it just looked right and I ran upstairs to get the camera....

I'll post the new topic in another thread tomorrow morning.

When there's an eel in the lake that's as long as a snake that's a moray.
sebatlh

2010-05-17, 11:03

Congrats Chinney! Looks delicious.
So you're also a DP1 user, cool! Lovely, but quirky camera

Brad: Thanks for the "prize"
Yes you're right about the lightning. For some reason my camera hates the light in my kitchen. You're also right about it tasting better than it looks, fortunately 
I have been meaning to do a serious attempt all month but it has been more difficult than I imagined. I mean, it's not only about making nice food. There has to be a clean table to put it on etc. ...And my kitchen is always a mess. Especially after cooking something nice
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2010-05-17, 20:50

Excellent shot, Chinney. I think the wooden floor does it.

I don't know why we didn't get more entries, unless AWR scared us all off with his high-fallutin' breakfast. (Though I see his heart's in Provence.)

I must have had a bad month food-wise. Despite living in Paris I usually have lunch for ten euros and eat simply in the evening - nothing very photogenic most days. It's only at the weekend that I sometimes venture into fancier restaurants or make something nice at home. Breakfasts are often rushed.