User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

imac (Early 2006)?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
imac (Early 2006)?
ironlung

2006-02-05, 14:33

If you go to apple's support page for the imac, the intel imacs are characterized as Early 2006. Mabye im just over thinking things, but doesnt that imply there might be a mid 2006? or more likely a late 2006 imac?

Besides that, I just LOVE how they classified the intel imacs from the others (note the sarcasm).
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-02-05, 14:59

Here's a shocker, but it might just mean when they came out, to differentiate them from other iMacs in certain tech documents?

I wouldn't read much more into it. But if you want to, go right ahead and start saving for that Rev. B in June!
wecallitfall

2006-02-05, 15:14

now where did i put my tea leaves

hehe!
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2006-02-05, 15:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0
Here's a shocker...snip
ZachPruckowski

2006-02-05, 16:17

A rev. B in June does make a bit of sense. There will likely be a new one when Merom or Conroe come out, because they're the next-gen processors, and the iMac is the cornerstone of the Mac line-up, at least as I see it.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-02-05, 16:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana
What are you scowling at?

There are several types of iMacs out there (three G5-based models and a new Intel model). Some features and components are the same (the stand, the power button, how you insert disks, the ports, etc.). But, of course, some are different (PPC vs. Intel, how/where RAM is installed, etc.).

Makes sense to me that in situations like that, it might call for specific models to be given some sort of name/differentiator because maybe the iMac (early 2006) is treated differently than a Rev. B iMac G5 in some scenarios, that's all. That's not even tough to imagine.
ironlung

2006-02-05, 16:59

pscates, why not just call it intel imac? or imac 2006. Its the 'early' part thats interesting to me at least.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2006-02-05, 17:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0
What are you scowling at?

There are several types of iMacs out there (three G5-based models and a new Intel model). Some features and components are the same (the stand, the power button, how you insert disks, the ports, etc.). But, of course, some are different (PPC vs. Intel, how/where RAM is installed, etc.).

Makes sense to me that in situations like that, it might call for specific models to be given some sort of name/differentiator because maybe the iMac (early 2006) is treated differently than a Rev. B iMac G5 in some scenarios, that's all. That's not even tough to imagine.
Actually I was poking fun at you- Read what I quoted from you. Carefully.
rollercoaster375

Send a message via AIM to rollercoaster375 Send a message via MSN to rollercoaster375 Send a message via Yahoo to rollercoaster375 Send a message via Skype™ to rollercoaster375 
2006-02-05, 17:12

Obviously, the iMac is on a two month update cycle.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-02-05, 17:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironlung
pscates, why not just call it intel imac? or imac 2006. Its the 'early' part thats interesting to me at least.
I guess because at some point, there will be others (that's an inevitable no-brainer), so this will help distinguish those two. There might be two releases of Intel Macs in 2006 (and if 2005 is any indication, there might be 4-5).

I guess "iMac (early 2006)" will keep it from being confused with "iMac (autumn 2006)".

They're just looking ahead, I guess, and giving it a classification (and to not be confused with the 2005 models either, of course).
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-02-05, 22:54

I'm with 'scates. Sorry, ironlung, but I don't think the revelation that their might be another iMac revision in 2006 to be that shocking.
ironlung

2006-02-05, 23:14

well with the entire mac line going intel.. i think itll be too much.
Enki

2006-02-06, 02:50

Apple has a history of using rough release dates to identify models, eventually when the next one is released they change that to some hardware difference. My recently dead PM DP500 was originally PowerMac (August 2000), then it eventually changed to Powermac (Gigabit Ethernet). The "early" is just a placeholder and makes no guarantees, but a betting man says it is likely for another model sometime this year.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2006-02-06, 19:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enki
Apple has a history of using rough release dates to identify models, eventually when the next one is released they change that to some hardware difference. My recently dead PM DP500 was originally PowerMac (August 2000), then it eventually changed to Powermac (Gigabit Ethernet). The "early" is just a placeholder and makes no guarantees, but a betting man says it is likely for another model sometime this year.
Yea, the Early 2006 will probably get changed to Core Duo once the Merom iMacs come out later this year.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-02-06, 19:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironlung
well with the entire mac line going intel.. i think itll be too much.
Wait...you think an iMac revision this year will be "too much" with the Intel transition?

Do you think that they're not going to update the iMac until 2007? I'm confused.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
agent302
"I'm learnding!"

Send a message via AIM to agent302  
2006-02-06, 20:17

In the wide and varied history of the iMac, a model name has had a year in it 5 times now: iMac (Summer 2000), iMac (Early 2001), iMac (Summer 2001), iMac (15-inch Early 2003), and now iMac (Early 2006).

I wouldn't read much into it.

(And in cases like this, Mactracker is your friend.)
shell

2006-02-06, 20:22

I should hope there is another iMac before the end of the year, even if it's a fairly minor bump. There could even be two or three more; the PPC days of waiting long periods for new processors to come out are over, and even then updates came out sooner than once a year.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2006-02-07, 06:53

I wonder if Apple will keep up with Intel's regular speed bumps. Maybe this is why the CPU is socketed on the new intelliMacs.
morningstarrising
Veteran Member

2006-02-07, 13:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman
Wait...you think an iMac revision this year will be "too much" with the Intel transition?

Do you think that they're not going to update the iMac until 2007? I'm confused.
I think he means that having another iMac update again this year when many of the other line is still PPC is "too soon" and no one would buy it.

You know like say having an color screen iPod update and then a couple of months later Apple brings out an iPod that plays video when the mini is still black and white....

So yeah....I think from looking at the last 9 months(IMac Rev C, iMac Intel, iPod(w/Color) iPod nano, iPod Video) we all learn that what Apple does...doesn't have to make sense at all....

Jebus Google, just buy Apple already...