AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Lacie 250 GB drive not being detected

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Lacie 250 GB drive not being detected
jcoley2
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to jcoley2  
2008-04-27, 12:19

I have a 3 year old Lacie 250 GB drive hooked to my wife's iMac. I rarely used this drive so I thought it would be put to good use with TM. I have been using it with TM for several months with no issues. It has two FW400 and one USB port. I use one of the FW400 for the hook-up.

Recently I noticed it was not backing up and it is no longer detected. I moved the drive to two different computers and tried both FW and USB ports. Whenever I connect it to a computer it turns on and I hear the drive spin up, but it is never detected. Since it is not detected, I cannot run the disk utility.

I am assuming drive failure but I am a little surprised as I never hardly use this drive.

Anything else I should try before junking it and buying another drive?

Now that I got a job, I can buy more Apple products!
tsa

2008-04-27, 15:08

You can try to take the drive out of the enclosure and put it in a PC. That way you can at least get data from it, if the drive is still intact.
jcoley2
Veteran Member

2008-04-27, 15:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsa View Post
You can try to take the drive out of the enclosure and put it in a PC. That way you can at least get data from it, if the drive is still intact.
I really do not care about the data as all it was was backups.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2008-04-27, 17:34

Its possible that the FW interface has failed, or that the cable has gone bad. Have you tried connecting via USB? If its just a case of the interface failing, just go to a local PC shop and pickup a new FW enclosure.
rob05au

Send a message via ICQ to rob05au Send a message via AIM to rob05au Send a message via Skype™ to rob05au 
2008-04-27, 17:51

Which version of Mac OS X is being used?

Does the drive have the latest LaCie drive update installed?

With the drive spinning up is sounds a lot like what is in the post above.

I have newer external drives which display this from time to time and for me it is a system based issue.
jcoley2
Veteran Member

2008-04-27, 18:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
Its possible that the FW interface has failed, or that the cable has gone bad. Have you tried connecting via USB? If its just a case of the interface failing, just go to a local PC shop and pickup a new FW enclosure.
I did try a USB cable and it did not work.
jcoley2
Veteran Member

2008-04-27, 18:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob05au View Post
Which version of Mac OS X is being used?

Does the drive have the latest LaCie drive update installed?

Not sure how to do that.
babyb

2008-05-01, 11:02

"diskutil" is a program that you can run from the command line. Try this:

1. open terminal.app (/Applications/Utilities)
2. type "diskutil list"
3. look for the name of you FW disk in the "identifier" coulmn. It should looke something like "disk0s3"
4. type "diskutil mount <device name>" (where <device name> = the name of your disk from the identifier)
5. This should mount the drive. I would then try to repair it with either the command line diskutil or the GUI one in the Utilities folder.

**note: if you type "diskutil ?" into the command line then you will get a short list of the options available with this tool.
jcoley2
Veteran Member

2008-05-02, 08:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyb View Post
"diskutil" is a program that you can run from the command line. Try this:

1. open terminal.app (/Applications/Utilities)
2. type "diskutil list"
3. look for the name of you FW disk in the "identifier" coulmn. It should looke something like "disk0s3"
This disk did not show up on the list. Now what?
longdogs

2008-05-04, 15:47

I've had this several times with Lacie drives. It's the power failing. I don't buy Lacie drives any more as a result of this. A replacement power lead will do the trick and can be acquired from Lacie.
jcoley2
Veteran Member

2008-05-08, 08:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by longdogs View Post
I've had this several times with Lacie drives. It's the power failing. I don't buy Lacie drives any more as a result of this. A replacement power lead will do the trick and can be acquired from Lacie.
I do not think this is the problem as the blue light does come on and the drive spin. Or am I wrong?