Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

Security! Get your ass updated!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Security! Get your ass updated!
Quagmire
meh

2005-02-22, 17:05

Apple released its latest security update.

Quote:
Security Update 2005-002 delivers a number of security enhancements and is recommended for all Macintosh users. This update includes the following components:

Java Web Start
JavaPluginCocoa.bundle
JavaScriptCore
Core Java classes

For detailed information on this Update, please visit this website: http://www.info.apple.com/kbnum/n61798
nomorewindows

2005-02-22, 17:36

Thanks
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2005-02-22, 18:05

So far I've only had one of my two cpus asplode, other than that it's great!
SKMDC
superkaratemonkeydeathcar

Send a message via AIM to SKMDC  
2005-02-22, 19:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogs
So far I've only had one of my two cpus asplode, other than that it's great!
ah the official Moogs/asplode running gag is in the house!
it's still funny. (and I don't use the scary little heads lightly or often!)
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2005-02-22, 21:12

If only the forum could use sound effects.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2005-02-23, 14:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertaker
Apple released its latest security update.
I have to ask.....

From what I remembered in my days of toying with Macs in my school (system 7) I found that they were surprisingly (dare I say inituitvely) easy to hack in. Now I'm no big timer hacker or know any language beyond BASIC, but with a simple press of shift at the start up, I turn off the extensions which also includes the security program... Bang! I get total and totally illegimate access to the computer.

With Mac OS X, my feeling seems to be same; User control panel seems too easy to manipulate and doesn't require any attempts at breaking the password...

Can anyone reassure me that I'm just drunk with imaginary powers of a small time hacker and that Mac OS X is really secure against hackers of a demigod status?
murbot
Hoonigan

2005-02-23, 15:48

It's actually super easy to hack OS X.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2005-02-23, 15:59

Hm.

Care to remind me why we should be buying Apple (specfically Mac OS X)?

Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-02-23, 16:10

Because it's stylish and expensive!

p.s. im a h4x0r
reidman

2005-02-23, 16:30

Hahah, thats the best frickin post I've seen on these boards.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2005-02-23, 16:37

Whoa.

*checking the website name* Applenova.

Wait a minute!

This is not forums for propagating Apple! This is to blow up Apple!

RUN FOR YOUR LIVES! RUN BEFORE LUCA GIT U!

p.s. Seriously, how does OS X par up with Window XP on security?
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-02-23, 16:59

In all seriousness... there's no comparison. XP sucks compared to OS X.

But still. OMG H4X. STFU 4 i pWn j00!111
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2005-02-23, 17:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca
In all seriousness... there's no comparison. XP sucks compared to OS X.

But still. OMG H4X. STFU 4 i pWn j00!111

Hm.

Murbot said,
Quote:
It's actually super easy to hack OS X.
So, logically, hacking XP is like taking candy from baby....

And was it to imply that OS X can't be protected?

Is this a little like a world where everybody has their arsenal of nuclear weapons, sum of which is more than enough energy to annihiliate the whole solar system and no missile defense system? Reagen, where is your Star War Initative? We really could use it.... Or maybe I'll just go and pull that phone cord....
murbot
Hoonigan

2005-02-23, 17:07

My post was more of a straight-faced "the world is flat" kind of comment.

Sorry, I thought it would have been easier to detect my sarcasm.
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2005-02-23, 17:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana
With Mac OS X, my feeling seems to be same; User control panel seems too easy to manipulate and doesn't require any attempts at breaking the password...

Can anyone reassure me that I'm just drunk with imaginary powers of a small time hacker and that Mac OS X is really secure against hackers of a demigod status?
You are, in fact, drunk with the imaginary powers of a small time hacker. OpenFirmware is protected, and there is no root user by default. You are required to authenticate actions or flat out not allowed to do others. Nothing can prevent you or someone else from creating an insecure system, but unlike Windows, things are much more secure by default. It is never foolproof -- either the user or the software can be foollish. The real reason OS X is considered more secure is because the impact of malware is likely going to be more limited. OS X can't prevent malware, but its setup deters its development and probogation.

Considering how much people like to claim that OS X is such a secure system, you would think some enterprising Mac hater would get off his ass and make the point otherwise. Hasn't happened yet, despite the exploits. Apple has a small market but a large chunk of mindshare -- the impact on the public image of Apple and its fortunes would be dramatic, and saturation of the user base would come much more quickly. But... nothing yet.

Even if Mac users and Apple aren't the target, what about the others who mght use OS X? Some of the US Army's public servers run OS X. After getting hacked to no end for years running Windows, since they switched to the Mac OS (both Classic and now OS X), the servers haven't been compromised once, have only been down for a few deliberate occasions.

The danger to the idea that Macs are more secure is that people will take this to mean that Macs are more secure no matter what.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2005-02-23, 17:58

Nanner, it depends on what you mean by security. Do you mean security on the network or the sanctity of files on your localized machine (and keeping prying eyes out)?

When installing new software on OS X, you must enter in your administrator password to allow the process to continue. On prior versions of Windows, possibly XP as well, lots of ports were left open that hackers could sniff for and enter in through. That's network stuff.

If you hook my Mac to yours via firewire and start mine by holding down the "t" key, it boots up in Target mode, which is basically your machine's hard drive working as an external volume. Now, you can keep your files protected in the Vault, which supposedly hides them from someone trying to pilfer the files directly off your hard drive. Early implementations of the File Vault shredded people's info and I'm still terrified of it even if it is working like a charm now.

Now, somebody who really knows what they're talking about want to chime in here and correct some of what I've posted?

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
Windswept
On Pacific time

2005-02-23, 18:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuonRotto
Some of the US Army's public servers run OS X. After getting hacked to no end for years running Windows, since they switched to the Mac OS (both Classic and now OS X), the servers haven't been compromised once.
Yay! Good for the Army. They are such an entrenched bureaucracy, it's hard to imagine them switching to something different that actually works well.

I'd like to meet the army guy who managed to push 'that' decision through. He must be a legend in his own time.
baaron

Send a message via AIM to baaron  
2005-02-24, 22:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops
Now, you can keep your files protected in the Vault, which supposedly hides them from someone trying to pilfer the files directly off your hard drive. Early implementations of the File Vault shredded people's info and I'm still terrified of it even if it is working like a charm now.
Ha. Ever notice how nothing was mentioned about FileVault in Tiger??? No FileVault 2.0, no acknowledgement that it sucked, nothing on Apple's website, no nothing. I think they've canned it, permanently.

I like Bawls and Rocket Fuel! (See http://www.xoxide.com/)

D00D, like 1337 totally man, have you seen Anchorman???

Last edited by baaron : 2005-02-24 at 22:29. Reason: I suck wiht teh hmtl!1!