Froggy McFrogface 2 20.00%
Force McFrog 3 30.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Star Wars: The Mandalorian
Page 14 of 16 First Previous 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16  Next Thread Tools
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-02-08, 22:28

Hmm, I suppose that’s possible. Just seems a master tracker like Boba wouldn’t have taken quite so long (the show takes place about 5-6 years after the events of ROTJ (Boba going in the pit, and the destruction of the second Death Star, which that marshal recounts in the episode). Boba tracked bounties across the galaxy, so it’s weird he couldn’t find his clothes on just one planet. But hey, who among us hasn’t been there, amirite?

Five, up high!

I even thought the armor might’ve had a space Lo-Jack installed in the event the owner gets separated from it, he knows where to start looking. Find My Helmet.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-02-09 at 03:16.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2021-02-09, 01:13

Mac+
9" monochrome

2021-02-09, 01:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
*bumpity-bump-bump*

I’m glad all these shows are getting future installments. I assume at least one episode of the Boba show will center on his escape from the pit and exactly how the Jawas ended up with his gear.
I still love the Robot Chicken take on all things Boba.

https://youtu.be/gU070mnjSD4
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-02-09, 04:01

Absolutely. To the point that when I watch Empire or ROTJ, I hear that voice/personality in my head now.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-02-12, 01:31

Disney+ is now at 95M subscribers..

And that’s not even with all the upcoming stuff in place. This time next year, or mid-2022, there’s no telling where they’ll be. That’s a lot of monthly income.

Someone check my math, but I’m getting $664,050,000/month (95M subscribers paying $6.99 a month). I know there are exceptions, gimmes, discounts, so let’s just round down and call it $600M a month they’re pulling in just from Disney+.

That’s basically the budget of a trilogy, at roughly $200M a pop.

I think they’re doing okay. When Kenobi, Boba Fett, Ahsoka and the third season of the current show all start to kick in and arrive, expect that 95M subscribers to jump up another good bit.

It’s not hard to imagine a $1B monthly haul, once the subscribers hit the ~120M mark and the price goes up to $8.99, which I read is coming. In fact, that’s all it takes...another 20-25M subscribers (a given, IMO, once all the above programming arrives) paying $8.99 shakes out to just over $1B. A month.

I know that isn’t all profit, of course, but there are a ton of “big companies” out there not brining in that kind of money on a steady, reliable basis.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-02-12 at 10:34.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-02-12, 10:26

Hopefully it means more great shows/movies for us.

Sad to see Cara being booted. At least they booted her between season and such so she will just disappear from the script is my bet. I'd be shocked if they even have a line or two about her... That is unless Disney wants to be sure we all know she isn't coming back by talking about how she died in the show or something.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
¡Damned!

2021-02-12, 10:41

I hope Cara gets recast. I think there's a lot to offer still from that character.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-02-12, 10:42

She’s an idiot. Have your opinions/beliefs, I don’t care. God knows I hear wacky, misinformed and hateful shit from the Left on a constant, ongoing basis. I usually just tune it out (or don’t seek it out to begin with, not being on social media or a fan of those kinds of discussions/debates). At 52, I’m not interested in Twitter slap fights with people I’m never going to agree with (and vice versa).

But she’s been around long enough to know that if you’re going to work in showbiz/entertainment and you tilt right-of-center, either keep your mouth shut entirely on social media or temper/rein in some of your goofier thoughts/opinions. Because you will not get the grace or wiggle room in that industry that a “woke”, line-toeing progressive will. That’s just true.

And that’s fine...the arts typically aren’t made up, or a hotbed, of conservative, right-leaning thought/mindset. But there are successful conservatives in showbiz who’ve obviously learned how to thread that needle.

Nobody has to blab their mouths on Twitter. It’s not a “right” or “obligation”. It’s a choice, and if she wanted to roll that dice, that’s her call.

But she just talked herself out of a nice, fun and, I imagine, well-paying gig that she could’ve ridden to some nice heights in the years to come.

Who in that town/industry is going to hire her now?

I don’t feel sorry for her...she shot herself in the foot. But I enjoyed her character.

I suppose a recasting wouldn’t be out of the question. They can probably find someone physically similar without all the baggage. Happens all the time.

My gut is that’s what they’ll do.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-02-12 at 11:11.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-02-12, 10:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
I hope Cara gets recast. I think there's a lot to offer still from that character.
Yep. I agree.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-02-12, 10:48

There is but I'm generally not a fan of recasting. I mean, think of the Oracle in the Matrix. They had to replace her because the actress died. They couldn't just remove that character so they reworked why she changed appearances in the script.

There is no need to do that for Cara. They can have an old Trooper friend of hers step in to the show and be that. It is way less complicated to have "Cara" move on and a completely different character be brought to the front. I am going to miss Cara being played by Gina though. She did a great job in that role if you asked me.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-02-12, 10:56

She did. Yeah, it might be more of a distraction to recast. I don’t know.

One way around is it to partially mask or disfigure the character (an offscreen skirmish or injury that requires some sort of mask or partial helmet to conceal much of her face. But that’s a bit on the nose, isn’t it? That would only draw more attention to the situation, I suppose.

If they go with “a friend of Cara’s” route, then they certainly need to differentiate in appearance, personality, etc. enough so it doesn’t come across like a transparent “we’re doing a Cara Dune stand-in”, which is a bit soap opera-y.

I wonder if Cara had any petite blonde friends? Because that’s what it would take, IMO, if they’re not going to recast or try to fill that role. Don’t do the Cara Lite thing, just go in another direction entirely (a black woman with a shaved head, I don’t care).

Either recast Cara and come up with an in-story way to explain/mask her different appearance, or jettison the character completely and, if needed, fill the slot with someone as un-Cara like as possible so it doesn’t seem cheesy or hard to buy into as a viewer.

“Oh, I see what they’re trying to do here...Cara 2.0...”, etc.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-02-12, 10:58

I mean, if they just drop "Cara" from the Mandalorian and allow "Cara" to live in a different show/movie it would work. Recasting her in The Mandalorian though... not gonna work really.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-02-12, 11:02

Apparently she was to be one of the central figures in that upcoming Rangers of the New Republic show (taking place in the mandalorian’s timeline and featuring crossover appearances from various characters from all I’ve read. So they’re either gonna have to recast or re-write it, one of the two.

I’m bummed because I was hoping for another onscreen Cara, Fennec and Bo (and possibly Ahsoka) mission or sequence.

Oh well.

Stay off Twitter, kids. Nothing good comes from it. Wanna talk about an “echo chamber”? There isn’t a bigger one in the solar system.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-02-12 at 11:20.
¡Damned!

2021-02-12, 11:26

I think they could recast her with another badass type, maybe Ruby Rose? I could live with that. Heck, Marvel recast what's-his-name with Don Cheadle as War Machine and it took me all of 5 seconds to just go with it.

So it goes.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-02-12, 11:40

It will be interesting to see how they handle this for The Mandalorian. In the 2016 version of MacGyver they had to fire the security guy (Jack Dalton) because he was just a plain jerk on set. They "replaced" him with a female badass. That worked because it wasn't really "Jack 2.0" but she was Mac's bodyguard for lack of a better description.

There is no reason they couldn't do that in The Mandalorian and just change the name of the characters in the other shows Disney has planned. Heck, they could keep "Cara" and many won't even make the connection of her being in Mandalorian. There are plenty of other people in the Star Wars universe that can be brought to the spotlight and leave Cara out in the cold.

Really I'm good either way as long as the show stays fun and engaging. If a producer wants to fire its staff because of their personal life, they need to make all the step to keep the show right. Otherwise it is lazy writing.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-02-12, 11:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
I think they could recast her with another badass type, maybe Ruby Rose? I could live with that. Heck, Marvel recast what's-his-name with Don Cheadle as War Machine and it took me all of 5 seconds to just go with it.
Not Ruby Rose because I’ll spend the entire show having impure thoughts about someone who’d never have me because I’m in t he wrong team. The story of my life...
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-02-12, 12:57

I just don’t understand someone torpedoing what will likely be the best gig they’ll ever have (it isn’t like she’s Meryl Streep, after all). She just shot herself in the foot, IMO.

UPDATE: her agency(?)/reps dropped her now. Folks scrambling for CYA mode, not wanting to be linked.

I always view this as "offense wagon"-jumping. Once it's out that someone is to be ostracized/marginalized, everyone in their professional orbit will kill themselves lining up to be the latest to publicly show themselves pushing her away/pulling away. I'm sure Twitter is hours from deleting her account.

"Look, we're on the right side of this too!"

Fine. Where do I send the cookie?

The one funny/refreshing thing I do see in all this, she doesn't appear to be gearing up for the expected groveling apology tour like most in this situation can't wait to do (as though it ever does any good anyway). She's at least smart enough to realize, unlike so many others before her, "nothing I say is going to get my gig back or make Twitter climb off my ass...so why bother going on Good Morning America and all the rest, trying to drum up fake tears and recite an apology I didn't write/don't really mean?"

You go, Gina...you wacky, wide-shouldered doofus. It was fun while it lasted!

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-02-12 at 23:48.
tomoe
Veteran Member

2021-02-12, 23:01

For sure. She basically had a “golden ticket” with her role in the show and fucking blew it.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-02-13, 00:04

If I landed a job with Star Wars, and I was squarely part of the group that was the reason that the franchise was "recovering" and working its way back into the hearts of fans (after 4-5 years of not), then yeah...I'd realize I was part of something very cool and I'd rein in any "gonna get me fired" behavior and ride that experience to its fullest.

If she would've played it smart, she could've been set for life in many ways (look at Anthony Daniels...dude ain't done shit but squeeze himself into a gold suit for 40+ years and act like space Felix Unger across 9-10 movies, cartoons, video games, do the convention circuit, etc.). He's done quite okay for himself, milking his involvement in the franchise to its fullest!
¡Damned!

2021-02-13, 09:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
space Felix Unger
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-02-14, 17:20

Oops, now even her action figure is in trouble!

The trick now, of course, is to try and find one (or a few?) of these and buy them - check Ollie's and other out-of-the-way retailers not named "Walmart" or "Target" for your best chance - because these might prove to be valuable some day, as anything discontinued, rare and/or attached to controversy often is (the original Boba Fett figure with the toddler-choking backpack rocket, blue Snaggletooth, Leia in camel toe Hoth fatigues*, etc.) one and stick it in a shoebox in your closet and see what's what in about 20 years or so. You never know. Crazier things than this have become collectible/valuable.

Especially if the role got recast or whatever, there would definitely be some value in having a ~2020 action figure of the original, fired Cara Dune actress in collectors circles down the road.

*Okay, I'm kidding about that one. Sorry.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-02-14, 18:34

Wow, I'm watching this old (early 2000's?) episode of Law & Order and who pops up as a defense attorney guest star? Giancarlo Esposito (Moff Gideon). He's so young here (head full of dark hair, clean shaven, no wrinkles), etc.

He's a great actor, in anything I've ever seen him in (NYPD Blue, The Usual Suspects, Better Call Saul and many, many others). One of those people who just kinda owns the screen whenever he shows up.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2021-02-15, 06:47

Stupid, but not cause for dismissal, IMHO. People should be able to separate the person from the role, but that’s not the eco system Hollywood has developed over the years.

The real lesson here is “know your worth.” If any of hundreds, possibly thousands, of actors could be subbed into your costume and no one would even notice, then think before you speak. I’d say just keep it to yourself, but I don’t really believe that, celebrity society already has a deplorable lack of famous people willing to use/risk their stature on any sort of real social justice - plenty are willing to trend surf on the latest outrage wave, but few are risking even a single social media like/follower for something worthwhile.

However, this beep bop business and all the other stuff doesn’t really rise to meaningful social discourse, does it? It’s just needlessly antagonistic bullshit from all sides. It’s Russian roulette with your career, and she got her head blasted off. Why play at all?
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-03-15, 20:37

Boy if Scates was still here this would blow his mind !!!

kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-03-16, 10:44

"Safari can't open the page."

Yep, that would blow his mind!
Matsu
Veteran Member

2021-03-16, 10:48

Where did he go? And what was in the link?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-07-26, 19:20

Pardon the bump, but a) it's relevant to the thread and b) pretty damn cool!

Lucasfilm hires the YouTuber who made the (vastly superior) Luke Skywalker (via deep fakery?) for the closing scenes of season two of The Mandalorian.

Nice. Wish they'd hired him about a year ago...he could've greatly helped with that final sequence.

His version of Luke is miles above what Lucasfilm managed to pull off! It, you know...actually looks like Luke/Mark Hamill from back in the day (post-ROTJ). That's kinda important!

Do good work, cool things may come your way. They'll keep him busy, I'm thinking. This bodes well for future cameos/Easter eggs and things of that sort in some of these upcoming shows (the Obi-Wan series, The Book of Boba Fett, Ahsoka's show). I don't want them to get silly and overdo it, but if a scene were to call for an appearance by a character we last saw on screen 3-4 decades ago (and they need to look the way they did then, due to these shows being set within a few years of that timeline), well...they've got someone on board who can help do a good, convincing job.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2021-07-26, 22:10

That's fantastic!

Maybe they can get him to fix "young" Carrie Fisher and Peter Cushing's posthumous appearances in some kind of updated direct-to-Disney+ special edition of Rogue One. I thought the CG Cushing was okay when I saw it in theaters (haven't seen it at home since then, though) since his character was usually cloaked in some shadows anyway, but Carrie's CG face… nuh uh. Right there in the theater in the moment she appeared it immediately felt wrong, and I couldn't put my finger on exactly why. Some serious uncanny valley effects. I'm pretty sure I've seen YouTubers deep-fake both of those characters in Rogue One into much more human likenesses.

edit: LOL OF COURSE it was the very same guy who deep-fake replaced Carrie Fisher in Rogue One. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byKy9kGnyvo It still ain't perfect — the contrast is a bit strong and there's some spooky smoothing in some places — but the shape and features feel more true to life.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-07-26, 22:53

The Leia in Rogue One simply didn’t look like her. It looked like Jennifer Aniston or anyone other than a young Carrie Fisher.

It’s just weird that Lucasfilm had trouble getting the likenesses of their two biggest characters down. Neither of their efforts looked like Fisher or Hamill, IMO.

That some YouTuber got a better match is hilarious. And embarrassing.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2021-07-27, 00:52

After looking into it a bit more just now, I feel kind of bad for the actress who body-doubled for young Carrie Fisher since she practically gets none of the credit for her brief cameo work. At least, for me the first time I saw her name was after trying to dig into how the CG was done.

That's a lot of tracking dots. It's like they put a dot for almost every single major vertex in the eventual 3D model.

The actress is Ingvild Delia, and she's probably conventionally attractive in her own right to get proper screen time, though her face structure isn't a great match for Fisher's, which probably explains some of the CG weirdness. I wonder how dedicated Disney is to bringing faces back from the dead for "continuity" sake like this versus how willing they'll be to recast existing roles with similar-enough young actors like the Han Solo spinoff.

As much as I think Shamook does interesting work, I'm not sure that I'm ready for a bunch of reanimated corpses on screen. Hopefully he'll get to work on things like de-aging the actual actors on set like Sam Jackson in Captain Marvel or De Niro in The Irishman.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.