User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

Apple Computer vs Apple Corps

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
View Poll Results: Apple Computer vs Apple Corps - Your take on it...
Apple Corps suck and should grow up! 80 97.56%
Apple Computer is ripping off poor Paul and Yoko! 2 2.44%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Apple Computer vs Apple Corps
Page 1 of 3 [1] 2 3  Next Thread Tools
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2006-03-29, 01:24

Personally I am disgusted at this whole thing.
It's just another excuse for Paul McCartney (I refuse to call him Sir), Yoko Ono and a whole load of pencil pushers to shake down Apple Computer every few years for some cash.

So you know which way I lean on this one..

If John Lennon was still alive I suspect he would be against these law suits, and also at the same time using Macs in his music production activities..

Is everyone here on the same page, or does anyone actually think this is really about anything other than a shakedown for cash?

EDIT - Incidentally, has anyone had a look at the Apple Corps web site. Does anyone know how recent that is, and what do people think about the shallow ploy that that is in itself.

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt

Last edited by scratt : 2006-03-29 at 01:30.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-03-29, 02:10

Before people chime about this being a duplicate thread (re: One Apple sues the other), I'll mention that I'm allowing this one since it has a poll attached and since the other thread has turned into a logical/legal discussion of the past and current lawsuits' validity. Maybe I'll merge them later or something. Meh!

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
scratt
Veteran Member

2006-03-29, 02:15

Appologies to ghoti. I was not trying to override his thread. I came to similar conclusions to Brad and wanted to get a poll of opinions from people.

Brad, if you do decide to merge it into ghoti's thread that's totally cool with me.
Please do try to keep the poll though.

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
scratt
Veteran Member

2006-03-29, 03:50

7 - 0 so far!

Good Job!
wecallitfall

2006-03-29, 05:59

cough cough golddiggers cough
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-03-29, 06:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratt
7 - 0 so far!

Good Job!
16! Mwahaha.
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2006-03-29, 06:47

Heh, is that ever an unexpected result, considering which message board we're on here! I'm sure there's a Beatles forum somewhere where they have the exact same poll ... I wonder what theit results are

And scratt, I'm afraid I trademarked this topic and you're also in violation of our previous agreement on starting new threads about Apple vs. Apple. I'll see you in court.

chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-03-29, 06:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghoti
Heh, is that ever an unexpected result, considering which message board we're on here! I'm sure there's a Beatles forum somewhere where they have the exact same poll ... I wonder what theit results are
I see your point, but could anyone truly disagree that Apple Corps's behaviour is simply an immoral means of getting money?
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2006-03-29, 06:59

Apparently not . I just did a quick search and it seems that most discussions are questioning what Apple Corps really wants to achieve with this. One opinion is that it's a ploy to get McCartney onto the Apple (Computer) board. I've also seen the word "tax shelter" mentioned in connection with Apple Corps. So it seems that the other Apple isn't too highly regarded by Beatles fans, either ...
scratt
Veteran Member

2006-03-29, 07:24

Well it's even more immoral if it's a ploy to try and get hooks into Apple Computer...
Which, thankfully, will never happen.

I would probably boycott Apple and cut my own nose off to spite my face if that mercenary s&%t had anything to do with the company.

It's so obvious that the whole Apple Corps thing is a sham now.

I remember Paul complaining about MJ buying the rights to most of the Beatles library and then saying to Paul.

"It's just business".

He said that MJ had no soul.

I wonder how he would defend his actions right now?

"Just business" ?

If I was Steve and I was pushed into a corner on this I would have already offered to sell Apple Corps ailing library for free on iTunes. i.e. No profit for Apple Computer, and 100% to Apple Corps.

To be honest, although the pundits are saying that it's a cut and dried case I have high hopes that the current judge will be able to look beyond just the legal arguments, apply some common sense, and finally give a settlement that let's Apple Corps. know this is the last time they can play this game.

EDIT - I would also argue that iTunes is the brand name and Apple is the parent company, therefore their pathetic arguments that the Apple Computer name is somehow obfuscating their unknown name would be almost moot.

scratt
Veteran Member

2006-03-29, 07:29

Quote:
I've also seen the word "tax shelter" mentioned in connection with Apple Corps. So it seems that the other Apple isn't too highly regarded by Beatles fans, either ...
By the way, did you have a look at the Apple Corps web site?

What a sham.
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2006-03-29, 07:35

Why don't you just link to them?

Linky

Linky

Linky

They're not going to sue AppleNova, right?

I mean, right?

Gizzer

2006-03-29, 07:46

Quote:
Why don't you just link to them?

Linky

Linky

Linky

They're not going to sue AppleNova, right?

I mean, right?

OMG it's a placeholder page!!!

Apple Computer should sue Applecorps for cybersquatting!! That "website" is clearly just there to hog a web address.

C'mon Steve, SUE THEM!!!!
chucker

2006-03-29, 07:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratt
By the way, did you have a look at the Apple Corps web site?

What a sham.
It looks halfway decent. Too bad it completely lacks content.
scratt
Veteran Member

2006-03-29, 08:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizzer
OMG it's a placeholder page!!!
It's so retarded and blatantly obvious as to make my blood boil!

Really, I am getting unreasonably angry about this whole thing the more I look into it.

I might even petition the Queen and ask her to remove Paul's knighthood, on the grounds of ungentlemanly conduct. :GRR:

ZachPruckowski

2006-03-29, 09:22

See, I won't mind much if Apple Corps was honestly making stuff currently. But I doubt anyone but diehard Beatles fans even knows what Apple Corps is. And I doubt Steve Jobs picked the name because of them. And Apple doesn't do anything that violates the prior contract. This is starting to become like NTP vs. RIM.
¡Damned!

2006-03-29, 11:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachPruckowski
And I doubt Steve Jobs picked the name because of them.
Legend has it that he picked the name in memory of his spending a lovely summer in Oregon as an orchard worker. The Apple logo came about by him wanting to play off the word 'byte'.

So it goes.
iCraig

2006-03-29, 11:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709
Legend has it that he picked the name in memory of his spending a lovely summer in Oregon as an orchard worker. The Apple logo came about by him wanting to play off the word 'byte'.
I heard it was a nod to Sir Isaac Newton, whom if you've been living off earth for the last 200 years discovered Gravity when an Apple dropped to the ground.
¡Damned!

2006-03-29, 12:16

No, but Sir Isaac was part of the original Apple logo:

Apparently Jobs nixed it because he thought it was 'too intellectual'.

So it goes.
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2006-03-29, 12:24

I love that quote from Jean Louis Gassée: One of the deep mysteries to me is our logo, the symbol of lust and knowledge, bitten into, all crossed with the colors of the rainbow in the wrong order. You couldn't dream of a more appropriate logo: lust, knowledge, hope, and anarchy.

scratt
Veteran Member

2006-03-29, 20:19

Ok! Who's the wise guy? Come on? Who voted for Paul and Yoko?
chucker

2006-03-29, 20:23

Wasn't me.
scratt
Veteran Member

2006-03-30, 05:21

I think they have lost the case (Apple Corps that is).

"Apple Corps seeks logo ban in iTunes" WTF?

Quote:
"Apple Computer can go into the recorded music business in any way they want. What they cannot do is use the Apple (trade)mark to do it," Apple Corps counsel Geoffrey Vos said in his opening statement.
I think Apple's defense can effectively argue that no-one knows the 'Apple Corps' logo (and probably that no one gives a preverbial s*&t), and therefore any damages are moot.

This quote made me laugh..

Quote:
Apple Corps lawyer Vos said Apple CEO Steve Jobs had offered to buy the name Apple Records for $1 million in 2003; however, Apple Corps rejected the offer, according to The Wall Street Journal.
I can see why Apple Corps. have taken the line they have though..

Quote:
The case will decide whether the Cupertino-based company breached a $26 million settlement in 1991, where Apple Computer was awarded the rights to produce "goods and services," but not works whose principal content is music.
Assuming the word 'works' comes from the actual ruling then that would indeed rather clearly allow the iPod and iTunes as they are themselves goods and services and not 'works', which legally I believe would be interpreted as a piece of music.

Heck, on that basis they'd have a better chance going after the in house music bundled with GarageBand.

So they are going after the logo thing.. Well that's a shame because no-one knows or cares about the Apple Corps. logo, so no damages, 'cos there ain't anything to damage. The whole firm is a tax shelter and holding company, period.

Game Over. IMHO.

Last edited by scratt : 2006-03-30 at 05:28.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2006-03-30, 12:29

Does anyone know whether Apple Corps is still making music?

If they're just "existing" for sole purpose of hmm, "existence", wouldn't it be sort of invalid?
BlueRabbit
Veteran Member

2006-03-30, 13:27

New development: Apple Computer says that "even a moron in a hurry" can tell the difference between the two Apples. Looks like Apple Computer's lawyers are having fun.
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2006-03-30, 13:31

must ... resist ... must .... pointing out ... Bush picture ... in ad ... must resist ... MUST AAAAAHHHH!
¡Damned!

2006-03-30, 16:56

Excellent. I'm glad to see Apple taking Apple Corps to task on this. Indeed, it should be fun.
Is it 1981?

2006-03-30, 19:58

Even a moron could tell the difference... man, I haven't laughed so much in a long time
scratt
Veteran Member

2006-03-30, 21:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRabbit
New development: Apple Computer says that "even a moron in a hurry" can tell the difference between the two Apples. Looks like Apple Computer's lawyers are having fun.
Agreed.

It would be like me sueing every company that uses the Red 'X' in their Extreme logo.
That logo was first designed and put in the public domain over 15 years ago, for me by a guy called Andrew Nadolski (who is actually quite famous in the UK).

Since then Extreme has become a bit passe. But also hundreds of companies have started using a brightly coloured Red X as part of their Extreme corporate name / logo.

Admittedly I never trademarked the image, but copyright laws would still apply in certain domains.

For me to run around suing everyone who uses the word Extreme or the red letter 'X' would be silly and you'd all laugh at me.

So let's all laugh at Apple Corps.

EDIT - And the other person who voted for Yoko and Paul. I am going to find you. Really!

RichieB

2006-03-31, 13:47

Quote:
The case is being heard by Edward Mann, a computer-literate judge who has acknowledged owning an iPod music player.

At one point Thursday he stopped Grabiner during the lawyer's explanation of Apple Computer's iLife software suite.

"ILife is not a complete novelty to me. I've got it and I use it," the judge said.
http://www.cnn.com/2006/TECH/ptech/0....ap/index.html

'nuff said.