User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

*The Daily News Thread* - a place to post compelling daily news stories

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
*The Daily News Thread* - a place to post compelling daily news stories
Page 134 of 221 First Previous 130 131 132 133 [134] 135 136 137 138  Next Last Thread Tools
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-02-04, 19:00

Ah, here we go...watch a table read of Star Wars: Episode X (read the article) written via A.I.

I will attempt this later on, but I know, right now, without hearing a word, it’ll be at least as good as 7-9. No way it’s worse. And if it’s significantly better, I’m gonna cry my little eyes out.

PS - If this requires its own thread - and it may? - do your thing, Ken. I thought about doing so, but tossed a coin and “it’s a news story, more than anything” won.

Ken, you need to flesh out your idea of the sequels (episode 7 at least) and we Novans do the same thing via Zoom or whatever. I’ll play whoever, as long as I get a part. We figure out a way to monetize it and we raise money for charity....Make a Wish, ASPCA, the International Keep J.J. Abrams from Star Wars Fund, etc.

Star Wars - Episode 7: A Bunch of Apple Dorks Butcher Star Wars

Get Capella on the case, for sure. Hell, I’ll help. I’m home all the damn time anyway these days. And apparently I seem to harbor strong opinions about all this stuff.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-02-04 at 19:32.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2021-02-04, 19:22

I'd wager a bottle of scotch that Lady Gaga is still relevant in 20 years.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-02-04, 19:37

That’s why I never brought her up because I know she will be. She can actually sing, write and play. So when the pop tart thing goes away, she can morph into other things and always make an impact. She’s got genuine talent and I’ve never believed otherwise. It’s not my cup of tea, the stuff she’s known for, but I can recognize legitimate talent and ability and I’ve always believed she’s got that “thing” that Swift and others just don’t.

See...I’m not an old man/off my lawn as much as some here want to think, and I don’t hate everything. When something/someone is deserving, even if it’s not for me, I’m the first to say. I just don’t like overrated lame stuff, that’s all. Taylor Swift is the walking embodiment of that.

LG can sing her ass off. She’ll be around longer than Madonna who a) can’t sing and b) is already a sad joke due to her desperation to remain relevant by trying to act like she did 35 years ago.

Madonna will be around but her “taken seriously” heyday is long gone. She’s bigger, as a personality, than her music is. She’ll always be “famous” but she’s done making a serious musical mark, IMO.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-02-04, 19:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
Ken, you need to flesh out your idea of the sequels (episode 7 at least) and we Novans do the same thing via Zoom or whatever. I’ll play whoever, as long as I get a part. We figure out a way to monetize it and we raise money for charity....Make a Wish, ASPCA, the International Keep J.J. Abrams from Star Wars Fund, etc.
Already did that.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2021-02-04, 21:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
I'd wager a bottle of scotch that Lady Gaga is still relevant in 20 years.
That’s a better example than mine, indeed.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-02-04, 21:51

Yeah, she’s quite talented, I think. She’s a real singer, and she’ll have a long career as she ages/matures. She’ll cover a lot of ground/styles.

She’s got the Aretha/Loretta/Barbra thing, where she’ll be an established, respected singer/performer, into her 50’s, 60’s and beyond.

Unlike Madonna and some others, I can imagine her actually aging gracefully, knowing she’s got the true chops/ability to adapt and move around as needed.

So many others just...don’t.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-02-04 at 22:16.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2021-02-04, 22:32

But the point is, that was also true in the 60s/70s/insert favourite decade here. Some of them will have staying power and the rest will not. Survivor bias makes it seem like *everything* was better back then, but that’s because it’s only the good stuff that you remember.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-02-04, 23:29

Well yeah.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-02-04, 23:51

The younger generations will remember Poop Diggity Doug and Rank Comet because it's what they grew up with.

They will also remember Aretha and Metallica and Beethoven.

There are a lot of 80's meatheads I won't remember and won't care about in 20 years. But I'll always be a Metallica fan. And Queensryche. And Beach Boys. And Bach. And others.

And I'll always get a taste of my own stomach whenever the Rolling Stones or Beetles are on.

Not everyone is a fan of everyone, nor can you convince me to like the ones I hate. And I'll always wonder why they have staying power. But, I also understand that some celebrities reach god-status, and there will always be rabid fans who worship them until death comes along and saves them from their madness.

To the topic: I won't remember Miley Cyrus and her half-time show, but I will remember her performance in Rachel, Jack, and Ashley Too (Black Mirror) in which I thought she did a wonderful job "mirroring" much of what she went through as a child-star and the insanity associated with rabid fandom. I'd like to have a beer with her, listen to her BS for a few hours, and then walk away knowing that money and fame are not the secret to happiness. I feel for her—to the extent that my compassion can do so. And then I'm glad her drama isn't mine to contend with, and that I can turn it off whenever the hell I want.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-02-05, 00:05

Lighten up, Francis.

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2021-02-05, 00:09

Quote:
He has them? Are they any good?
Just one song of hers, "Party In The USA" became "Party In The CIA". Is it good? That's a matter of taste I suppose. I like some of his songs, but then my taste in music is kind of strange. I mostly listen to foreign music these days, I prefer not to understand the words since most of it is garbage anyway.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2021-02-05, 01:06

Rock bands either die young or become their own tribute group.

Don't remember where I read that but I take one look at The Eagles and know its true.
tomoe
Veteran Member

2021-02-05, 03:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
Don't remember where I read that but I take one look at The Eagles and know its true.
https://youtu.be/h1WJqKWqUHQ
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-02-05, 04:06

I agree about them.

When Glenn Frey died, they should’ve said “okay, we’re done...we’ve had an amazing run but we’re not going to proceed without a major, founding member who sings half of the songs” (and most of the good ones, IMO).

Frey and Henley were the “from the beginning” core of that group. The others - Leadon, Meisner, Felder, etc. - come and go. Walsh and Schmit aren’t originals but even they’re 40+-year “old timers”/veterans now. But this current version with Frey’s son Duncan and Vince Gill(!) does feel a bit off and cover band-y to me.

The Eagles, without Frey and Henley, just doesn’t feel right to me. They started it, they wrote/sang the bulk of the songs, they ran the show. Now it’s Henley, two non-original veterans and three ringers (young Frey, Gill and Steuart Smith on guitar, mostly filling the Felder spot after he was fired). The latter three feel tacked on/hired guns to me (and that’s no slam whatsoever; Vince Gill is amazing, but he just looks weird in this band). It would be like Foo Fighters hiring Elton John to be their new keyboard guy. It’s a bit much and detracts from both.

A lot of drama, this band. Holy crap!

They almost make Fleetwood Mac look squared away and sedate.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-02-05 at 04:37.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2021-02-05, 10:09

The other day I was reading about the death of classics (the university discipline, not classic rock, country, blues etc) and Rolling Stones Magazine 100 greatest bands list and it was one of those weird introspective moments where you might not agree with the list, or even half of it, but if you could listen to at least half of it, you'd be richer for it.

drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-02-05, 10:33

I love how David Bowie kept rising up to meet each new era of music and explore it. It made him a legend.

Everybody can't be Bowie.

My dad was a big fan of the Beach Boys, and during a period in the mid-90s when I was treating myself to concerts by classics like Jethro Tull and Steely Dan, I took Dad to see the Beach Boys. That was when I found out there were different versions of the Beach Boys. I think we saw the Mike Love version? Regardless, my 70-something Dad had a great time dancing around in his Hawaiian shirt.

I thought the Beach Boys were kind of moldy, but that night was amazing.

So my belief is that the celebration of the music of an era by the people who lived it is perfectly legitimate. Yes, they have been subsumed by their own legend instead of furthering it, as Bowie did. However there is no profit in it for me in calling them sellouts.

They earned those golden years.

Bless 'em.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-02-05, 10:52

The Beach Boys, the early 60's original version on those first few albums, made a mark. It's Brian Wilson's band, and became more so. I know everyone's supposed to worship Pet Sounds (and it's great, as are some of the others), but I'll always love those very early songs/albums (but I'm a first-wave surf guitar/culture nut, so I'm going to veer toward that whole thing more than the later experimental, denser stuff). I know they're not technically a full-on "surf band", but they latched onto that thing and road that wave (ha!) as strong as anyone (the hot-rod/car stuff too), until all that kinda fizzled out once those guys from England started coming over. But 1960-1964 was really great, and the heyday of that surf stuff I love so much, and they were certainly part of it (even though I'm more into instrumental bands of that era).

I saw the Beach Boys here in town in the early 80's and it was pretty bad. Brian wasn't with them and it was a bunch of ringers/touring musicians on stage, in addition to the core of Love, Jardine, Johnston and Carl Wilson. I can't remember if Dennis Wilson was on drums. He died in 1983 and this was before this (I was in 6th or 7th grade, which would've been 1980-1981, so I assume he was. But all the songs were tuned down a bit, nobody was really hitting the notes, Mike Love wouldn't shut up, everyone in the audience was drunk/high (I saw a girl puking red liquid about five feet from me).

Needless to say, not my most fun concert. And I went because I loved them, from all my parents albums. But I just didn't take into account the ~15 years of time since the stuff I loved. They were just older guys on the road, sloppy, disengaged and kinda half-assing it, frankly.

But I will always love those early-mid 60's albums/songs.
¡Damned!

2021-02-05, 22:05

As a point of reference: Violent Femmes: Violent Femmes is nearly 40 years old. Let that sit on your sphincter spinner for a bit.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-02-06, 12:33

Yep. We're all a bunch of old farts. You ain't gotta go rubbing it in like that, though!
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-02-06, 13:06

Everything cool is now 40-41...The Empire Strikes Back Raiders of the Lost Ark, early MTV (which truly changed my ears/thinking...I wouldn’t know/like half the bands I do today - Elvis Costello, Squeeze, Duran Duran, INXS, U2, The Clash, Big Country, The Stray Cats, Joan Jett, The Go-Go’s, etc., along with dozens and dozens of cool, quirky, more obscure and/or one-hitters (Bow Wow Wow, Haircut 100, Talk Talk, Missing Persons, Romeo Void, Let’s Active, Tenpole Tudor , etc.) - if not for their presence/impact on my 12-15 year old self in that 1981-1984 timeframe).

It was an explosion...I’d never seen, or heard, anything like the above until 1981-1982. I didn’t grow up in NYC, L.A. or London, so MTV was my lifeline and the only link to anything outside my town’s one rock station playing nothing but Zeppelin, Foghat, Boston, Heart, Kansas and .38 Special 24/7.

I needed something more.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-02-06 at 13:16.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2021-02-07, 23:11

I didn't watch and my Twitter feed isn't ablaze—safe to assume Mylie Cyrus managed to keep her clothes on for the halftime show?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-02-07, 23:36

I don't even know if she was the performer. It's all I saw last week on the news, but then I kept hearing about the Weekend(?) on the broadcast itself (or maybe it was one of those shows with multiple performers, and she was just one small part of the lameness package). I didn't really watch, just bits and pieces of the game itself.

But if she wasn't the performer, then I assume nothing crazy happened. We would've heard about it by now, for sure. Weird things hit Twitter within milliseconds.

Maybe the NFL came to their senses a few days ago and realized "we can't have this goofy attention-seeker lowering herself onto fresh produce during our halftime show...WTF were we thinking?!" and booked someone else?

drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-02-08, 00:30

Miley executed the first part of her plan flawlessly, establishing herself as a name brand. The past several performances I've seen from her on SNL have been mesmerising - her talent is genuine and as long as she can keep the wheels on the bus she could enjoy a long creative career. And no, I wasn't thrilled with her initial persona either.

The only song I recognized by The Weeknd (correct spelling) was his finale. But I've also seen him on SNL and he's got chops. I expect a second and third act out of him.

What I'm saying, people, is that I want to work at SNL.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-02-08, 01:37

They’re probably hiring. No way in hell I’d ever leave Atlanta for NYC, though.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-02-08, 12:09

Wait, when is this Super Bowl thingy you speak of? Did I miss it? Do I care?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-02-08, 13:01

I had it on in the background a few times, walking through to glance at how much more one-sided the score was getting. The commercials seemed to be quite awful this go-around, on several fronts. The whole thing just felt a bit weird/off, what little bits I paid attention to...the venue, the overall presentation/graphics, the announcers/play-by-play crew, the crowd (or lack thereof), the commercials, the game itself was a bore of a blowout, etc.

It was like a bad parody of a Super Bowl "event". Poor CBS was trying so hard to make it seem like everything was cool, exciting, normal, etc.

I was mostly watching 15-year-old Law & Order episodes over on WE (hey, hot ADAs), and some drama queen pastry chefs on Food Network (that seems to be a thing now...crying and carrying on because your cake fell on national TV). Oh, and the Puppy Bowl, of course. That's a yearly tradition.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-02-08, 13:38

I was trimming trees.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-02-09, 12:55

Quote:
I had it on in the background a few times, walking through to glance at how much more one-sided the score was getting. The commercials seemed to be quite awful this go-around, on several fronts. The whole thing just felt a bit weird/off, what little bits I paid attention to...the venue, the overall presentation/graphics, the announcers/play-by-play crew, the crowd (or lack thereof), the commercials, the game itself was a bore of a blowout, etc.

It was like a bad parody of a Super Bowl "event". Poor CBS was trying so hard to make it seem like everything was cool, exciting, normal, etc.
Seems I wasn't alone in my assessment/take.

I know there were other outlets/methods for watching, but I don't think that's the full story either.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-02-12, 18:23

Facebook developing smart watch to compete with Apple's and others.

I don't need to add anything further because the jokes, barbs and zingers will all write themselves.

But I'm sure your medical/health data will be completely safe and secure! What's the worst that could possibly happen here?
Frank777
Veteran Member

2021-02-13, 02:00

Quote:
Facebook developing smart watch to compete with Apple's and others.

I don't need to add anything further because the jokes, barbs and zingers will all write themselves.

But I'm sure your medical/health data will be completely safe and secure! What's the worst that could possibly happen here?
These people make fortunes that rival the national GDP figures of whole countries, and instead of building something new and exciting (next-gen school systems, hospitals, electricity grids, sustainable housing etc.) they decide to just throw a bunch of money at stuff that others are already doing.

I'm totally ready to throw that at Cupertino if this Apple Car turns out to be something GM and Chrysler could have easily done.

Musk is a strange character at times, but his companies are genuinely pushing the ball forward. Like Jobs did.