your thoughts on the split screen UI in the new iPod nano and classic

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
your thoughts on the split screen UI in the new iPod nano and classic
Mac+
9" monochrome

2007-09-06, 10:04

Just curious.

What do you guys think about it?

I've not seen it up close, but I can't say I'm a fan of that vertical split screen view.

I kept going back to my 1st gen nano today and I really like the UI in that. I believe the 2nd gen, with the search feature and "letter" overlay when scrolling, is even better.

As much as I like the functionality offered in the two new models, the split screen UI just doesn't do it for me.

The more I see it, the more I marvel at the iPhone and iPod touch.

One more question - Jobs mentioned that Apple was working on OS X based iPods. Are the nano and classic what he meant, or was he referring specifically to the touch?

All I want is a simple life
twitter
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2007-09-06, 10:16

A lot of truncated names would quickly become annoying, particularly for songs (as you can at least see the video or album you're referring to on the right half of the screen). I think a more prudent but still eye-candy satisfying effect would be at least 2/3 of the screen for the menu, 1/3 or a sliver/hint of the graphic on the right.

I find the horizontal halving of the new nano's face between screen and scroll wheel, along with the halving of the screen vertically to be poor composition. They've drawn and quartered the nano!
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-09-06, 10:36

I'm not that taken with it. But I've not seen it in action or in person (I skipped through that part of the presentation video; perhaps I should go back and watch it).

But it just looks a bit strange and shoe-horned in to me.

The entire damn nano, frankly, looks weird: the device itself, the colors, the wheel size/placement and, now, the interface! I'm trying hard to like it, but it's so unattractive to me in every way (even that bottom part, which is colored to match the face (watch the 360/rotating graphic at Apple's site, and look at the bottom of the nano...that is so horrendous).

BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2007-09-06, 10:39

the colors are the only things I like about the nano. I'm right there with you not only on the face proportions (3:4 is a last resort!), but the whole bevel thing. I also thnk it's hard enough watching the 3.5" iPhone screen for too long. I don't know how you're going to watch video on the nano's screen. You might as well put it up to one eyeball and close your other eye.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2007-09-06, 10:59

OK, well we three seem to be in agreement then.

I, too, am underwhelmed by the geometry of the nano. I've seen that coloured tab at the bottom too Paul and it strikes me as odd. The only thing I do like is that the docking port is centered now and not off to one side.

Whilst on that topic, I'm not a fan of the Wifi antenna portion on the back of the iPod touch. The break in colour should have extended across the whole of the top of the back in my opinion - just on an aesthetic level.

What about the OS X iPods - do the nano and classic count, or are the OS X iPods more the iPhone and iPod touch?

All I want is a simple life
twitter
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-09-06, 11:25

I'm not sure. It's obvious the multi-touch things are the OS X-based ones, but with all that animation and smoothness on the nanos and classic, maybe there's some of it on those as well? I really don't know enough about that kind of stuff to have a real answer. It would be interesting to find out.

My gut tells me it's just the iPhone and iPod touch, with all the heavy-lifting they do...
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2007-09-06, 11:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuonRotto View Post
A lot of truncated names would quickly become annoying, particularly for songs (as you can at least see the video or album you're referring to on the right half of the screen). I think a more prudent but still eye-candy satisfying effect would be at least 2/3 of the screen for the menu, 1/3 or a sliver/hint of the graphic on the right.

I find the horizontal halving of the new nano's face between screen and scroll wheel, along with the halving of the screen vertically to be poor composition. They've drawn and quartered the nano!
When you browse song titles, the "list" part fills the screen.

Still, I agree that it looks weird halving the screen...I like your two-third/one-third arrangement better, to be honest. But I like the rest of the new iPods' subtler interface tweaks, like Cover Flow and the Apple TV-esque "Now Playing" screen.

To a certain extent, it seems like Apple changed the iPod nano and iPod classic just for the sake of change.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
kurtfoster

2007-09-08, 02:26

Don't like it. Just bought one, and knowing that I can't turn that "feature" off ... I might just go mad.

Last edited by kurtfoster : 2007-09-08 at 02:27. Reason: thought my words need to be rephrased
Wrao
Yarp

2007-09-08, 02:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
I'm not that taken with it. But I've not seen it in action or in person (I skipped through that part of the presentation video; perhaps I should go back and watch it).

But it just looks a bit strange and shoe-horned in to me.

The entire damn nano, frankly, looks weird: the device itself, the colors, the wheel size/placement and, now, the interface! I'm trying hard to like it, but it's so unattractive to me in every way (even that bottom part, which is colored to match the face (watch the 360/rotating graphic at Apple's site, and look at the bottom of the nano...that is so horrendous).

Go see one in person. They are incredible. The screen is amazingly clear and bright, the metal finish is appropriate and tasteful. The click wheel is responsive and perfectly sized. The whole thing feels sturdy. Also, the overall size is really small. I think this nano will be the best selling iPod we've seen yet. It's unreal. Of course, I say this mostly about the black/graphite one, which I think has the best overall look(closely matched by the aluminum one)

That being said, the new UI is a little weird. It has a particular 'feel' to it that some will like and some will dislike, I would greatly prefer if it was an option and not just the new UI. It makes it feel more like it is a little computer, instead of this insular menu system.
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2007-09-08, 11:19

Looked at them yesterday. I hate it. 99% of the time it just truncates junk that would have been visible on an older iPod.

I am really becoming disenchanted with many of Apple's UI decisions as of late... and given that superb UI design is one of the companies hallmarks... uh-oh. Then again, I feel like a lot of these decisions are geared towards less technical users who will be ooed and aahed by all this glitz. But when Apple has added extra, eye-catching glitz in the past, they give the power users a simple option to turn it off. They put it out of the way so only the power users (and the other users who can ask power users) know where it is off the top of their head. It was really the perfect solution.

Locking us all into eye-candy makes Vista look good, because for 70-80% of Vista's eye candy, you can hunt it down and kill it.

The worst is when it is on the mobile devices. Bad UI on Mac OS X can almost always be found and killed with a few commands to the terminal, or amended with third party Apps. Given that there is no real terminal on the iPhone (yes, I know about MobileTerminal, but as far as I can tell, it doesn't let you into the innards of the system) or iPod, if Apple doesn't provide us with real options, we are either stuck with it, or have to resort to hacks, which, more often than not, break compatibility with future updates.

This permanent, unnecessary eye candy has to stop. Really, Apple. You don't need to kill it, you just need to give us the ability to kill it.

Logic, logic, logic. Logic is the beginning of wisdom, Valeris, not the end.
joveblue
Veteran Member

2007-09-08, 19:38

Please Apple switch this to 2/3 menu 1/3 crap if you don't want to get rid of it... it just looks wrong at the moment...
iFerret

Send a message via MSN to iFerret Send a message via Skype™ to iFerret 
2007-09-10, 00:49

I definitely agree. Being a reseller has its perks - I got to take one of the new Nanos home for a bit (it's a display model, and we won't be putting them out until Wednesday, for some odd reason). I've been using it and... I don't like it.

The first major problem is the size. I love how thin it is; but I don't like how wide it is, especially compared to how tall it is. I much preferred the second gen Nanos.
Secondly, I don't really like the colours. While they're okay, I'd rather have the bright and cheery colours of the G2s back.
Thirdly, I don't really like the interface. Give BuonRotto a fucking medal. The 2/3 1/3 idea is much better than this half-ass (geddit? half. 'coz the UI is half and half ) stuff out there now.
I also don't like the idea of video on the Nano - that was better left to the bigger iPods. Although it is nifty, I will admit.

That said, I do like the iPod Classic (except the UI), although I think that the iPod Classic is change for the sake of change in some ways.

Also, I want to play with an iPod Touch, but noone has any idea when that shipment will get here or when we mere mortals will be allowed to touch (heh. another pun. ) them.
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2007-09-13, 17:03

Very Well Put.

Anyways, I will not be buying a new iPod any time soon, purely because of this. Looks like I'll have to ride the 80GB I have now to the bitter end. Not that I mind, its a great iPod

Logic, logic, logic. Logic is the beginning of wisdom, Valeris, not the end.
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Windowsrookie Send a message via MSN to Windowsrookie Send a message via Yahoo to Windowsrookie  
2007-09-13, 17:26

The only problem I have with it is when I'm showing the iPod to my grandparents, or kids and it chooses the album with the most inappropriate cover.
rasmits
rams it

2007-09-13, 18:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windowsrookie View Post
The only problem I have with it is when I'm showing the iPod to my grandparents, or kids and it chooses the album with the most inappropriate cover.
yes.

I could see myself sitting on the subway. Someone looks over while I'm browsing through music and Nirvana's Nevermind album cover goes slowly drifting by.

OMG! BABY PENIS!

You had me at asl
Engine Joe
Going Strange...

2007-09-13, 18:48

At least it'd just be a baby penis.

What if the cover of Roxy Music's "Country Life" came rolling by when showing the iPod to your 6 year old?
Miko
Veteran Member

2007-09-13, 18:50

Yeah I test drove one the other day and I really don't see the point of this feature. on Apple TV or Front Row is one thing but on a small iPod screen, so not necessary. They already put CoverFlow on there lose the wack half screen thing.
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2007-09-13, 18:52

I must be the only one that likes the new interface...
rasmits
rams it

2007-09-13, 18:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine Joe View Post
What if the cover of Roxy Music's "Country Life" came rolling by when showing the iPod to your 6 year old?
Well... I neither own that album nor know any 6 year olds.

But yes, I see your point.