New Mobs for 1.7 or 1.8?
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
drewprops
Space Pirate

2014-04-25, 07:36

What are all the new mobs?

I just read about "endermites".

Is that like Batmite?

Also: where are silverfish, and what do they do? Wipe out your bookshelves?

billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2014-04-25, 09:14

How have you gone this long without encountering silverfish? They live in stone, and attack you when you mine it.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2014-04-25, 09:35

I have NEVER run into silverfish! Seriously. Very interesting, I will go look for videos.

drewprops
Space Pirate

2014-04-25, 09:38

Oh, there's your answer - I don't go into Strongholds and I guess I haven't mined "extreme hills"?

¡Damned!

2014-04-25, 09:38

Silverfish live inside some of the blocks in strongholds and extreme hills (plus a spawner at the foot of stronghold end portals), and pop out when you break the block. They're not really that dangerous - more annoying than anything.

The endermite is new and used to look just like a silverfish, but purple. Since yesterday they now look like this. Apparently they sometimes spawn when an enderman teleports or if you use an enderpearl to teleport. They're a bit more dangerous than the silverfish (they deal 2 hearts damage; the endermite deals 1). I doubt they'll affect the End Trap, as the endermen can't teleport out of there, but we'll have to wait and see.

Other than the mite I haven't heard of any new mobs planned for 1.8, but you never know.

So it goes.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2014-04-25, 18:47

*Plans to surround Drew in Silverfish blocks*
¡Damned!

2014-06-03, 15:08

From @jeb_"I'm working on a new hostile mob. It lives under water. It's not a shark. It's going to be nasty, but currently doesn't do much."

I'm guessing it lives in the new underwater temple/stronghold thingys (made of Prismarine and Sea Lanterns)? Maybe some scary merman type baddie?

So it goes.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2014-06-03, 20:09

Sounds very interesting. I don't do a whole lot under the water so I should be safe.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2014-06-04, 00:02

In the past the water has been a safe place to retreat from the nasty land mobs... I've been wondering about a Kraken.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2014-06-10, 12:15

I perceive that any "dangerous" underwater mobs are going to cause more trouble than gaming fun. Even with Aqua Affinity, you cannot see underwater once you go below a certain depth, meaning mob drops and lost bits will be nearly impossible to find. In other words, what's the point? These mobs better drop something awfully special, or I can see plenty of players avoiding the water altogether. Why even go when an encounter with the nasties all but guarantees you lose all your stuff. /back will be useless in many of these situations as your loot will be deeper than normal breathing will allow you to dive. You can write it off almost as certainly as swimming in lava.

Also, if these mobs are dangerous for boats, then I predict the spread of nerd "bridges" all across the oceans ( ) or the artificial expansion of the world as wanderers go around large bodies of water instead of across them.

And, as Drew said, the sudden appearance of hostile land mobs might force you into the water only to lose all your stuff to water mobs. Lame!

There's no place to run. Oh, the humanity!

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2014-06-10, 14:34

I'm thinking we will go back to building tunnels that will allow for rail systems and horse paths. It will be cool to explore places like underwater castles, but defending yourself underwater isn't going to be simple to say the least.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2014-06-10, 18:47

You know what I just realized? Endermen teleporting in and out of our homes during rainstorms are going to be dropping endermites the whole way. Our nice, safe, secure homes will be much less so...

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2014-06-10, 19:14

Well that is going to be no fun. I'm going to go back to two block high ceilings for stuff like that then. Do the endermites de-spawn like other hostile mobs?

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
¡Damned!

2014-06-18, 10:23

Oh shit…. the sea is a dangerous place now:

drewprops
Space Pirate

2014-06-18, 12:30

So.... a Guardian has Fricking lasers!!!!

kscherer
Which way is up?

2014-06-18, 13:18

Looks like the ocean's equivalent of the Ghast?

Yikes!
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2014-06-18, 17:15

It's a shame that these new mobs are in underwater temples which (from what I've read) are entirely submerged under water. It's hard enough just slogging through the slow, murky waters while you're running out of air, but to have to struggle through combat too? I can only imagine how much grinding someone would have to do to gain enough XP and collect enough resources to enchant everything just to get started on such an adventure.

The Mojang guys really need to get a handle on this "balance" word.

Talking about this with gerlocian reminded me how unfair skeletons still are after all this time. They don't have to actually turn in order to nail you, and they don't (appear to) have to pull back their bow to fire. Instead they just randomly fire with perfect accuracy. Get this shit sorted, Mojang!

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2014-06-18, 18:15

Like I said earlier: If there isn't some new, fancy mob drop / temple treasure, I won't even be looking. What's the point?

Maybe if the temple chests have diamond-bladed chainsaws that run on spider eyes or something, I might care. Otherwise, sounds like more of a hassle than it's worth.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
¡Damned!

2014-06-18, 18:18

I was thinking the same about the 'underwaterness' of it all. The temples look huge from the few screenshots I was able to see this morning. There's no way to really explore without some enchantment bottles. I guess there's a new boot enchant that allows one to run on the seabed?

The new temples are gorgeous and the new blocks a welcome addition. Hopefully we can keep a good temple intact and not get too crazy destroying them (unless of course they're plentiful). More blocks for the mart!

[edit]: speaking of the mart... wtf Brad? The massive drop in mob head prices... any reason for the drop from 5k to 1k? I was using them as a sort of savings account, but now I'm feeling a bit burned for no real market reason that I can figure. The wither skellie spawner can't possibly drop prices down to 1/5th given that they drop heads just as much as they used to (ie: barely ever). Even if so, just drop the sell prices for those and not the others.

Last edited by 709 : 2014-06-18 at 18:39.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2014-06-18, 19:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
Like I said earlier: If there isn't some new, fancy mob drop / temple treasure, I won't even be looking. What's the point?

Maybe if the temple chests have diamond-bladed chainsaws that run on spider eyes or something, I might care. Otherwise, sounds like more of a hassle than it's worth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
I was thinking the same about the 'underwaterness' of it all. The temples look huge from the few screenshots I was able to see this morning. There's no way to really explore without some enchantment bottles. I guess there's a new boot enchant that allows one to run on the seabed?
Agreed, all around!

Continuing on the aforementioned rant I had with gerlocian offline earlier, it's also mildly disappointing that third-party mod developers are able to crank out more comprehensive, interesting, and balanced additions while still having to go to school or work a full-time job, and yet writing Minecraft is Jeb/Dinnerbone/etc's full-time job. *grumble grumble*

Okay, that's out of my system now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
[edit]: speaking of the mart... wtf Brad? The massive drop in mob head prices... any reason for the drop from 5k to 1k? I was using them as a sort of savings account, but now I'm feeling a bit burned for no real market reason that I can figure. The wither skellie spawner can't possibly drop prices down to 1/5th given that they drop heads just as much as they used to (ie: barely ever). Even if so, just drop the sell prices for those and not the others.
I'm pretty sure I've said all along that market prices would be changing; they've never been set in stone. I even discussed the idea of having a script automagically fluctuate market prices periodically, remember? So, you probably shouldn't put too much faith in using them as part of an investment strategy. Sorry.

Basically, I looked through the market prices again over the last month (most of them changed at least a few weeks ago and I haven't been online this week) and realized that although some of them were perhaps "fairly" priced given their actual in-game rarity, some of those natural rarities are far from fair. Saddles and name tags, for instance, are stupidly rare given their utility and given that they can't be crafted, and skulls require obscene amounts of tedious grinding for what's just a cosmetic piece (withers aside).

¡Damned!

2014-06-18, 19:39

Yeah, I really shouldn't have invested and just kept it rolling, but since 1.8 is coming in the next month I figured I'd whittle it down in case the rollover didn't work.

The heads seemed like a no-brainier at 1:1 buy/sell value. Never expected them to drop (well, not 80% overnight) since there's no way to farm them easily.

Ah well. Just a hair under 14M lost. I can't really complain, since there was probably more than half that in gold that you were kind enough to move over for Ghidorah.

Upside is I have a chest full of heads that were otherwise unobtainable if not for the mart. Time to think about scariness

Last edited by 709 : 2014-06-18 at 19:52.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2014-06-18, 20:59

It's okay, 709. Brad robbed me of my bank, too. 3 large chests of glow dust! Dropped from $500/dust to $50.

Jess and I combed the Nether for weeks and weeks and WEEKS!

That was almost $2million per chest dropped to $200,000. Yowzers!

But, the price of diamonds dropped by 50%, too. And some other crap came down. Fortunately, some other stuff stayed put. But, yeah. If you're gonna play the markets, you have to be prepared for loss.

Brad is Wall Street!

And, honestly, I'm okay with that—Mostly. Although a 24-hour warning would be totally cool, so I can sell my crap before it's worthless.

Personally, if these new water fortresses have some super-rare crap, that crap better be worth a TON!

drewprops
Space Pirate

2014-06-18, 21:16

I must not be playing this game right... I have no idea how my MC investments are doing... sheesh!

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2014-06-18, 21:28

wait

minecraft has money now
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2014-06-18, 22:24

I am the one percent.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2014-06-19, 09:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
wait

minecraft has money now
Had is the operable term here!

The pension raiders went through the joint and knocked us down!

But, yes. Brad installed some Bukkit/Tekkit business and gave us a market. He lured us to invest. Then snuck out the back door with all our profits! I can hear him, now. "Bwahahahahaha. BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!" You see, that's why he built Enterprise, so he could raid the bank and sneak away at warp factor 9.

If I hadn't been able to take a little early revenge with some withers and lava, I would be burning hot!

Wait, was that a pun?

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2014-06-19, 17:55

So this thing is going to be massive based on these tweets from Jeb:

Click for bigger:

Also, what's the mossy cobble building?

¡Damned!

2014-06-19, 18:34

Jungle Temple.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2014-06-19, 18:43

Other than the new building blocks, that looks suspiciously like a new kind of light block as well.

And I can tell you all right now, the way to hit these temples is going to be from underneath.

Locate it and, from a distance, drop to the bottom and tunnel in. That way, you'll have air and protection from the baddies. Get under it, tunnel up and swipe the goodies!

You'll be able to block up the entrance to keep the "fish" out and run wild with the interior. Take buckets along to remove water, or netherrack for quick water-blocking-out, etc. Other than the fish, these will be easy picking, I think.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2014-06-19, 19:49

I've never seen a jungle temple though they have been in the game since 1.3 it seems. Has anyone else seen one in real life? In our world for that matter?

Ken, I was thinking the exact same thing, underground to get to the monument. Dirt and reeds are good too, this would give you an air source while removing the water block.