User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

Tiger Address Book

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Tiger Address Book
jsk173

2005-04-06, 03:26

I just got done updating the 1,000-plus entries in my Address Book. Does anyone know if the Tiger Address Book is a seamless transition, or have there been major changes? (Any new features?) Thanks.
JLL

2005-04-06, 07:40

It is a seamless transistion.
ast3r3x
25 chars of wasted space.

Send a message via AIM to ast3r3x  
2005-04-06, 07:47

For the love of god, back up that data immediately, it can't be that much space, but think if you lost it all
jsk173

2005-04-06, 18:36

Thanks; happy to hear it's seamless. Any new features?

I have my Address Book backed up in about 3 different places. I would probably need a straightjacket if all that info. was lost.
Henriok

Send a message via AIM to Henriok  
2005-04-07, 07:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsk173
Thanks; happy to hear it's seamless. Any new features?
Some.. It's noticibly faster. Multiple URLs. More lable templates. Some kind of Adressbook sharing (NOT via Rendez.. eer Bonjour! though). Smart grouping (REALLLY GREAT!!)

That's all i can remember..
justjohn101

Send a message via MSN to justjohn101 Send a message via Yahoo to justjohn101  
2005-04-07, 09:45

birthday field?
Henriok

2005-04-07, 10:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjohn101
birthday field?
Yes. That too but there's a birthday field in Panther too.
Card menu > Add field > Birthday
jsk173

2005-04-07, 17:26

Thanks for the feedback. In a (barely) related question, do Address Book photos appear in Contacts imported to the new iPod photo models? No big deal; just curious. I have an older iPod.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2005-04-07, 18:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henriok
Some.. It's noticibly faster. Multiple URLs. More lable templates. Some kind of Adressbook sharing (NOT via Rendez.. eer Bonjour! though). Smart grouping (REALLLY GREAT!!)

That's all i can remember..
Does this man we can finally colour code our Address Book contacts like we can in Entourage?

I guess smart folders means I can do away with my collection of folders I have already created for my current contacts too. That's progress for ya!

All I want is a simple life
twitter
Henriok

2005-04-07, 18:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac+
Does this man we can finally colour code our Address Book contacts like we can in Entourage?

I guess smart folders means I can do away with my collection of folders I have already created for my current contacts too. That's progress for ya!
No coloring of contacts AFAIK.
Smart folders is a good in Address Book as they are in iTunes if not better. Smart folders rock. This is what computers should do, sorting! I'm sick and tired of doing the sorting for the computer when it just sits there with all the necessary information.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2005-04-07, 18:34

Yeah, agreed - smart folders do rock!

What are the label templates then? Are they extra fields where we can add data?

I'd like to be able to add birthday fields to children or spouses for example.
Also, instead of children, I'd like "son" and "daughter" fields. Are they there?

Thanks again Henriok.

twitter

Last edited by Mac+ : 2005-04-08 at 00:34. Reason: fix typo - can you see it in Henriok's reply below? ;)
Henriok

2005-04-07, 18:51

Quote:
What are the label templates then?

I'd like to be able to add birthday fields to children or spouses for example.
Also, instead of children, I'd like "son" and "daugther" fields. Are they there?
Templates for printing lables!

If you must add birthdays for children and spouses, then they deserve cards of their own, don't they?

There's a "birthday" field but here's also a "dates" field which can take multiple entries. Anniversary is suggested but you can customize it "dropped my first tooth", "graduated", "had heart surgery" and other memorable moments. It remembers customized lables in the menu.

I think it's odd to make a separate field for birthdays and "other dates". It might be for iCal integration, but why not integrate "other dates" too, and use a flag associated with the entry as to wheather the date is a repeted event (such as birth days and anniversaries, but not graduation).

The "Other names" filed doesn't have "son" or "daughuter" but it has "child" and you can always customize a lable of your own.. "partner in crime", "nemesis", "mentor" and such..

Address Book also has an Action button in its toolbar, similar to Finder's. features "New smart group", "Spotlight Someone", "Chat", "E-mail" and so forth.

Last edited by Henriok : 2005-04-07 at 18:58.
jsk173

2005-04-07, 19:39

What exactly do "smart folders" do in Tiger's Address Book?

The "birthday" field has been available since Mac OS X came out. Not sure why people are asking for that.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2005-04-08, 02:17

Quote:
Templates for printing lables!
Ahh - I forgot about the templates for printing labels ... never used them so far.

Quote:
If you must add birthdays for children and spouses, then they deserve cards of their own, don't they?
Not really - I have a few band mates who just had kids and I'm not inclined to devote cards to their new borns. Ditto their s.o. when I don't know them that closely. I just think it is nice to have all the pertinent details of a contact on the one card when you make a call. I think Entourage handles stuff this way and I thought it was good.

Quote:
There's a "birthday" field but here's also a "dates" field which can take multiple entries. Anniversary is suggested but you can customize it "dropped my first tooth", "graduated", "had heart surgery" and other memorable moments. It remembers customized lables in the menu.

I think it's odd to make a separate field for birthdays and "other dates". It might be for iCal integration, but why not integrate "other dates" too, and use a flag associated with the entry as to wheather the date is a repeted event (such as birth days and anniversaries, but not graduation).
Actually, I had to use a 3rd party haxie to get the Address Book birhtday events into iCal. Is it integrated in Tiger now? (I should hope so ... it's about time!)

Quote:
The "Other names" filed doesn't have "son" or "daughuter" but it has "child" and you can always customize a lable of your own.. "partner in crime", "nemesis", "mentor" and such..
Yeah, adding custom fields is good, but I don't see why they offer father/mother/brother/sister etc but don't differentiate gender for kids.

Quote:
Address Book also has an Action button in its toolbar, similar to Finder's. features "New smart group", "Spotlight Someone", "Chat", "E-mail" and so forth.
Sounds good!

btw - thanks for all this advance info Henriok ... I appreciate it!

twitter
Mac+
9" monochrome

2005-04-08, 02:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsk173
What exactly do "smart folders" do in Tiger's Address Book?

The "birthday" field has been available since Mac OS X came out. Not sure why people are asking for that.
Yeah, I knew about Birthday fields in the Address Book, but I was curious about Birthday fields for other members of the Address Card.
Henriok

2005-04-08, 04:53

Quote:
I have a few band mates who just had kids and I'm not inclined to devote cards to their new borns. Ditto their s.o. when I don't know them that closely.
Well, you can use the other "dates" field to include them but they won't show up in iCal.
Think about it. a person can only have one birthday, and the idea is that you should have one card per person/company.

Quote:
Actually, I had to use a 3rd party haxie to get the Address Book birhtday events into iCal. Is it integrated in Tiger now?
Yes.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2005-04-08, 05:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henriok
Well, you can use the other "dates" field to include them but they won't show up in iCal.
Think about it. a person can only have one birthday, and the idea is that you should have one card per person/company.
Good point! I was just recalling what was available in Entourage when I first used it. (I only switched to the OS X Address Book when Jaguar came out and offered system wide integration with Mail, iCal and .Mac. When I had 10.1, I was more impressed with the feature set of Entourage.)

twitter