User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

This is the best Software Gadget for multiple Mac owners...

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
This is the best Software Gadget for multiple Mac owners...
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2005-10-12, 06:56

Not a shout for help... But a cool heads up on a nifty development tool for lucky lucky people who have more than one Mac!

I am guessing you all probably know about this and I am the last one in the world to have found out, but anyway here goes...

For those of you that do it's about Synergy.. So if you know about it read no further...

For those that have not here goes...

I was going to write this myself and thought I would check if anyone else had bothered.. Apparently it has been around for ages...

So what is it!?!?

Well when I am developing I use two machines, and have three screens... I have for a long time wanted to share clipboards accross my two machines and also be able to use one mouse and keyboard on the machine I am sitting in front of to control both.... Well Synergy does that...

I also want to be able to move a window accross from one machine to another, the same way you can on a multiple monitor Mac.. It does not do that.. But never mind!

The cliboard and single Mouse Keyboard thing makes this piece of software worth the slightly harder than click and shoot install method..

It's here...

linky dinky doo

Go read and see if you like it..

I am using it right now and am having a blast.. I am barely getting any work done at the moment 'cos I just keep playing with it...

Fantastic..

I hope this post makes someone else as happy as it has made me today!!

What there's an Apple Keynote going on today?
New Video iPod!!
Who cares I've got Synergy!! Wheeeee

:smokey:

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt
MCQ
Veteran Member

Send a message via MSN to MCQ  
2005-10-12, 07:13

For the people who would like to see some more information before they just download it, go here:

http://synergy2.sourceforge.net/

It is pretty nifty, but I've had problems with it in the past (probably due to my router), so I haven't used it recently.
scratt
Veteran Member

2005-10-12, 07:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCQ
For the people who would like to see some more information before they just download it, go here:

http://synergy2.sourceforge.net/

It is pretty nifty, but I've had problems with it in the past (probably due to my router), so I haven't used it recently.
Hey MCQ... What method did you use to start it up, by the way?

I am running a little script manually each time but wondered if you actually tried the auto-run stuff or not?

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Gargoyle
http://ga.rgoyle.com

2005-10-12, 07:57

Hey, hey, hey!!! I was here first!

Scratt, I dropped all the synergy files into Applications/Utilities/Synergy. Then in that same folder I created a file called Synergy.command with the following...
Code:
#!/bin/sh /Applications/Utilities/synergy-1.2.4/synergyc vampire
It's just a plain text file, but by giving it a *.command name, finder will run it using terminal. "vampire" is obviously the host name of my synergy server computer.

Then you can add the Synergy.command file to your login items.

OK, I have given up keeping this sig up to date. Lets just say I'm the guy that installs every latest version as soon as its available!
scratt
Veteran Member

2005-10-12, 08:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargoyle
Hey, hey, hey!!! I was here first!

Scratt, I dropped all the synergy files into Applications/Utilities/Synergy. Then in that same folder I created a file called Synergy.command with the following...
Code:
#!/bin/sh /Applications/Utilities/synergy-1.2.4/synergyc vampire
It's just a plain text file, but by giving it a *.command name, finder will run it using terminal. "vampire" is obviously the host name of my synergy server computer.

Then you can add the Synergy.command file to your login items.
Sweet. Thanks..

I have just made the .command file and then saw your post..

Off to tuck it away in my StartupItems.

EDIT: Sorry for posting this again, even though it bears a re-post, but I thought about doing a search and then thought.. 'How many bloody times do you think synergy has been used in unrelated posts on this forum?'.. So in scratt style I decided to wing it!